Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:37 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

While not very familiar with the 920 that does sound like outstanding battery life for a modern multi-core phone. If Microsoft has a good app store then they may very well have a good product on their hands. I don't know maybe I've gotten so accustomed to charging my phone at night on the nightstand I simply don't notice it much anymore. Now if I had a phone that wouldn't last throughout the day then I would go nuts. As a matter of fact the reason I have owned so many android phones is that some of them wouldn't last me a day and I sold them immediately and bought something else. Sorry but I just don't believe there is anyway to extend the life of your S3 much more than you already have. It's probably just something a person either has to just tolerate or switch.
The problem with that of course is the money you have spent on all the apps for Android.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:00 PM   #92
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Nah I probably won't switch anytime soon. WP has a bunch of things that annoy the heck out of me, chief of which is metro/modern layout.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:02 PM   #93
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Nah I probably won't switch anytime soon. WP has a bunch of things that annoy the heck out of me, chief of which is metro/modern layout.
And some of there Apps like there Music one sucks balls so badly.

Do you have the S4 Snapdragon Model of the S3? Therer is a Snapdragon app on the Google Play store that supposedly optimises android more for better battery life, I havent tried it myself yet, but I am going too have a look at it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nb24 uYXBwIl0.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:07 PM   #94
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
And some of there Apps like there Music one sucks balls so badly.

Do you have the S4 Snapdragon Model of the S3? Therer is a Snapdragon app on the Google Play store that supposedly optimises android more for better battery life, I havent tried it myself yet, but I am going too have a look at it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nb24 uYXBwIl0.
It seemed to hurt more than help on my phone.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:07 AM   #95
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have a Nexus 4 so I cant really talk about the S3.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:43 AM   #96
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
My S3 is rooted stock, it has perfectly fine signal (not seeking) and power saver mode is even enabled. I'm fairly sure it's average performance as far as S3s go. Point was that it's pretty inferior compared to some other phones.

Display brightness is a HUGE difference. If I set my brightness to 30% instead of 100% I'll get several more hours out of it.

Syncing/etc will drain you fast too. No idea what's running on yours. Things like a Facebook app would be a killer.

Also if you're concerned about battery life, dropping to 3g will help.

I rooted mine with Goodness, turned on Power Saver mode (disabled Haptic feedback, allowed it to underclock the CPU) disable motion sensing and vibration. Mostly operating in a WiFi zone so 3g and 4g data is disabled. If pushed, I can go 2 business days on a charge with lightish usage.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Last edited by koralis : Apr 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:04 PM   #97
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

On the S3, brightness is on auto, sync and facebook are on (what's the point of a smartphone otherwise?), power saving mode enabled. I'm on wifi most of the day, rarely ever use mobile data.

Even so, I have everything on the 920 turned on and here's what it gave me yesterday:

I don't think Android users should be expected to do so much power management themselves to get decent battery life. We don't anyways if 48hrs is the limit with no usage.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:55 PM   #98
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
On the S3, brightness is on auto, sync and facebook are on (what's the point of a smartphone otherwise?), power saving mode enabled. I'm on wifi most of the day, rarely ever use mobile data.

Even so, I have everything on the 920 turned on and here's what it gave me yesterday:

I don't think Android users should be expected to do so much power management themselves to get decent battery life. We don't anyways if 48hrs is the limit with no usage.

I didn't say "no usage", I said light usage. Reading emails that come in and playing a few rounds of Words With Friends over the course of the day.

How exactly do you suppose "auto" brightness works? They have to power up a sensor and continually poll it to adjust things. Waste of power when it takes seconds to adjust if you really need it.

Different phones have different drains. For example, Samsung decided that Haptic Feedback was a feature worth power. The Nokia 920 doesn't use it (except for Home and Back keys. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1915483)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1915483

So every time you click something, do typing etc, the S3 is draining your battery to make a little vibration. I think it's a waste of battery power so I turn it off.

The S3 has more power than I actually need, so I underclock it.

Basically, Samsung chose its feature set to "wow" people into buying it vs the competition, whether the features are worth it or not.

As for facebook, GPS location, etc, etc, all of those things drain the battery. If you think it's worth it, then keep them on. I can turn things on when I want them. (And I don't use facebook at all, so you can tell how useful I'd think that app is.

Depending on your provider, they may have also stuffed your phone with their own stupid goodies that are constantly running and draining battery. At low signal strength the phone boosts its signal, and that's the biggest drain (compounded by many auto-apps trying to sync, etc.)

The average user isn't expected to do power management themselves. The average user is expected to need to plug things in constantly.

Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:09 PM   #99
Zero
Sass hole

Oh I don't have any of the Samsung crap turned on either. Provider apps are frozen.

Auto-brightness or 25-30% brightness doesn't seem to make a significant in battery for me. Static brightness does make the screen less legible in more situations though. The 920 even has a an outdoor legibility setting activated and still has superior battery life.

I'm talking about two phones, same hardware, same services and apps, and the significant battery drain difference.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:50 PM   #100
koralis
Radeon 5850

Read an article that said that the nokia's cpu was a 28 nm model rather than 45nm and had an integrated 4g processor rather than a seperate chip. Might be the bulk of the difference.

Might be that win8 just has better default power-conservation strategies too. For the S3 I'd definitely look into changing your CPU model to "ondemand" if not "powersaver" instead of "performance" and see about underclocking though. The rom I'm using also as a "fast dormancy" bit enabled (when the screen blanks it goes to sleep more quickly.)

When you look at the Power drain, what does the phone say is using your juice? There are apps you can run that can also figure out if your phone is getting woken up out of sleeps, etc, which would reduce uptime.

Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:04 PM   #101
Zero
Sass hole

Typically it's the screen sucking the most battery. Better Battery stats doesn't show any abnormal wake locks either. I have about 2.5 hrs of screen time here. The low battery life issue isn't with my phone specifically, it's with all S3s.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Apr 18, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:19 PM   #102
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
Read an article that said that the nokia's cpu was a 28 nm model rather than 45nm and had an integrated 4g processor rather than a seperate chip. Might be the bulk of the difference.
Don't know about the 4G processor but it looks like both the S3 and the 920 run the same Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 SoC (MSM8960).

Quote:
Might be that win8 just has better default power-conservation strategies too. For the S3 I'd definitely look into changing your CPU model to "ondemand" if not "powersaver" instead of "performance" and see about underclocking though. The rom I'm using also as a "fast dormancy" bit enabled (when the screen blanks it goes to sleep more quickly.)
When I was running CM10 with leankernel, I had it underclocked to 1GHz and using interactive or ondemand governors. Still didn't really get much more than 30hr standby. I'm also very sure no amount of user tweaking will get you the battery life I'm seeing on the 920. I wonder what could be so different in terms of power management.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:54 PM   #103
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Yeah but your comparing Apples and Oranges really.

Ok they have the same SOC, but they have heaps of differences.

- Different battery size
- Different screen type SuperAMOLED vs IPS-LCD
- Different RAM size
- Different NAND modules?
- Different OS (Maybe Nokia have tune the software really awesome for Power savings compared to Samsung)
- Different size screen 4.5 vs 4.8 (it all adds up)