Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 2, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

Default Sapphire smartphone screens

I was remarking earlier today at how pristine the Sapphire crystal face on the watch I've been sporting since November looks. Despite my taking little precaution protect it and considering that I can recall vaguely a good crash or two I cannot find a single imperfection. I was looking around the internet for fun learning about Sapphire, which is apparently (virtually?) the second hardest naturally occurring mineral only to diamond when I stumbled upon this little article:

http://pocketnow.com/2013/02/27/sapphire-screen-scratch

There's industry talk to replace the outgoing king of screen material, gorilla glass, with Sapphire on smartphones in the not too distant future. I think this would be great. I know gorilla glass is almost un scratch able but I still keep mine covered with a protector because in the summer I have a tendency to be intimate with rocks and sand. I'd pay an extra $30 to do away with the protector.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion.
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 03:30 AM   #2
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

The usual synthetic sapphire watch crystals may be very difficult to scratch, but they WILL shatter. I've personally done it on an Omega Seamaster Bond. They are also substantially more expensive to replace than your typical rugged watch crystal materials like Hardlex (hardened mineral glass) and Hestalite (armoured acrylic). Sapphire's hardness also makes it near impossible to polish out on the rare occasion that they do scratch.

A sapphire laminate mineral glass similar to Sapphlex may be preferable to solid synthetic sapphire as it's more shatter resistant. I understand Leica uses a sapphire coating on the LCD display for some versions of S2 and the newer Ms.
1madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote