Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Verizon plans are garbage now

I'm just looking at this bullshit "Share Everything" plan they're shoving up everyone's ass, and initially it didn't look bad until I saw that there's a $40 charge right off the bat. That means the cheapest you can do is $90 before taxes for a whopping 1GB of data, compared to my $85 with taxes and unlimited data I have right now.

Just so I have this straight, the only two ways to avoid their bullshit is buying a phone at full price without the upgrade option or switching carriers right? No other "loopholes" have been found? I'm going to have to look into buying a new phone from CL or something, no way am I doing this new asinine plan.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I'm just looking at this bullshit "Share Everything" plan they're shoving up everyone's ass, and initially it didn't look bad until I saw that there's a $40 charge right off the bat. That means the cheapest you can do is $90 before taxes for a whopping 1GB of data, compared to my $85 with taxes and unlimited data I have right now.

Just so I have this straight, the only two ways to avoid their bullshit is buying a phone at full price without the upgrade option or switching carriers right? No other "loopholes" have been found? I'm going to have to look into buying a new phone from CL or something, no way am I doing this new asinine plan.
AT&T is the same way, but they aren't forcing people to the new plans. It's just a silly way for these jokers to overcharge us some more. Because they know people don't give a flip about voice minutes, it's all about data plans these days. Then on top of that that want to give you measly gee-bee's for the price, then are nowhere to be found when you need help. I think Sprint has the best deal going, maybe T-Mobile, but T-Mobile in my area is slow and unreliable. I want to switch to Verizon for my next upgrade since they have a better LTE network here, but they are too pricey for what they give you.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:46 AM   #3
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

There is a loophole, but you must have two lines on the old unlimited plan for it to work (and a willing Verizon rep).

Check your data usage for the last few months, see if you are anywhere near the 1gb cap. Here in Ca. it is a 2gb cap though

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
AT&T is the same way, but they aren't forcing people to the new plans. It's just a silly way for these jokers to overcharge us some more. Because they know people don't give a flip about voice minutes, it's all about data plans these days. Then on top of that that want to give you measly gee-bee's for the price, then are nowhere to be found when you need help. I think Sprint has the best deal going, maybe T-Mobile, but T-Mobile in my area is slow and unreliable. I want to switch to Verizon for my next upgrade since they have a better LTE network here, but they are too pricey for what they give you.
TMobile sucks here too, most areas aren't even 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
There is a loophole, but you must have two lines on the old unlimited plan for it to work (and a willing Verizon rep).

Check your data usage for the last few months, see if you are anywhere near the 1gb cap. Here in Ca. it is a 2gb cap though

It's too close to be comfortable on 1GB. Not only that, even with the 1GB plan I'm going to spend $15 more than I currently am for my unlimited.

I think I roughly figured out that for the plan I need, in two years it would be cheaper to just buy the $800 phone outright. I don't even want to cave into these dickheads so it makes me want to buy the phone at full price out of spite anyway.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:50 PM   #5
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

This might be a potentially dumb question but you ladies ARE aware there are still non-share plans right? That extra $40 is for a second line. If you're paying $85 for two smart phones and unlimited data for both I want to know which rep you bore a child for so I can get the same deal.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

My workaround has been to buy used phones via CL. Works well, and used phones are both cheap and relatively current (bought my Razr for $140, less than a year after launch).

Last year, however, my wife finally said she wanted a smartphone, so we now have two data-plan equipped lines ... one unlimited (mine) and one w/ the 2GB limit (hers). With that in play, now have the option of buying new subsidized phones under her number, and moving them to mine if wanted. Will probably do that this year, depending on what's available. Overall though, I've been very satisfied with the used market, and appreciate remaining out of contract.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
My workaround has been to buy used phones via CL. Works well, and used phones are both cheap and relatively current (bought my Razr for $140, less than a year after launch).

Last year, however, my wife finally said she wanted a smartphone, so we now have two data-plan equipped lines ... one unlimited (mine) and one w/ the 2GB limit (hers). With that in play, now have the option of buying new subsidized phones under her number, and moving them to mine if wanted. Will probably do that this year, depending on what's available. Overall though, I've been very satisfied with the used market, and appreciate remaining out of contract.
Have you had good luck buying on CL?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Have you had good luck buying on CL?
Yes, though I deserved to get taken on the Razr deal; price was low enough that I rolled the dice, and bought the phone before checking that it was clean. Rule of thumb before and since is to meet at a Verizon store to verify EIN and get it transferred.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:09 PM   #9
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
This might be a potentially dumb question but you ladies ARE aware there are still non-share plans right? That extra $40 is for a second line. If you're paying $85 for two smart phones and unlimited data for both I want to know which rep you bore a child for so I can get the same deal.
It would be nice of them to list that on their site then. All I see are data only plans, so I'd have to mix and match texts and minutes along with a data plan? Why the **** didn't they just leave the damn things alone and add this ShareEverything bullshit?

And the only way I'd do CL is if it's guaranteed to be new. I won't buy someone else's phone because no one takes care of them like I do, and I have OCD when it comes to that ****. One scratch and I'm going to flip out.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:33 PM   #10
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

There is a trick to transfer the EIN of a Straight Talk phone using Verizon's network to a Verizon phone. I believe it should come up pretty easily with a Google search.

If I was going to go through the trouble of buying a Verizon phone outright, I think it would make a lot of sense to try and switch it to Straight Talk and save some real money. They give unlimited everything for $45/month. Though they do say somewhere that they reserve the right to drop customers that abuse the privilege.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It is BS that VZ got "rid" of unlimited plans. They should have let those who already had unlimited plans keep them through upgrades.
I'm in the same boat though, next phone I get I will buy outright. No way am I losing my unlimited data.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:31 AM   #12
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I pay $175/mo for 2 phones with ATT/6GB

Such a joke.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Verizon plans have always been bad. They literally don't have to compete.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I pay $50/month for 700 Minutes, unlimited texts and no internet. **** you Verizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:23 PM   #15
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

buy unlocked phone, purchase a straight talk pre-paid plan, pay $40 a month including unlimited data using at&t towers.
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:17 PM   #16
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
buy unlocked phone, purchase a straight talk pre-paid plan, pay $40 a month including unlimited data using at&t towers.
I don't think they sell phones for ATT's network anymore. They do however sell phones that use Verizon's network.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:20 PM   #17
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
It would be nice of them to list that on their site then. All I see are data only plans, so I'd have to mix and match texts and minutes along with a data plan? Why the **** didn't they just leave the damn things alone and add this ShareEverything bullshit?

And the only way I'd do CL is if it's guaranteed to be new. I won't buy someone else's phone because no one takes care of them like I do, and I have OCD when it comes to that ****. One scratch and I'm going to flip out.

The fact they hide them is a bitch I won't deny that. I dare to say that I had to use google to find them and asked my ex before she split our plan where I could look at them to which she had no answer.

I did a google search here's a link to their nationwide blah blah blah plans: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...d=17&catId=808

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:27 PM   #18
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
you can't easily get an AT&T compatible straight talk sim card anymore...

straight talk no longer sells them, wal-mart sold out, and i'm willing to bet nearly everyone who bought one actually activated it

you can however get a t-mobile compatible sim card and use t-mobile towers
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:40 PM   #19
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I'll be in the same boat late this year. Thinking I might just by the Nexus and find the cheapest carrier I can that will work with it. I'll explore my options more so then, things tend to change a lot in the mobile phone industry.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:42 PM   #20
ice
Rage3D Spammer

I'll probably just buy a 16GB whatever and throw in a 64GB SD card, there's nothing I could ever do that would take up that much space. Those at full price might not be so bad.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:46 PM   #21
t.d
Radeon R300

t.d is still being judged by the masses

This will only benefit those who live in t-mobile saturated areas.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1646755

I'm paying $30/mo for my galaxy s2, which cost me $150 used.
t.d is offline   Reply With Quote