Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Google Pixel

Anyone else pick up the new handset? Got my silver 128gb on pre-order.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 01:04 AM   #2
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I am waiting for reviews. For being a high end found it is missing some of the common high end features like OIS, expandable storage, removable battery, some form of rugged rating (IP67 is becoming pretty common), wireless charging. Having the "best camera in a smartphone ever" is useless if all my imaged come out blurry because your EIS doesn't cut the muster. (not saying its bad just want to see it properly tested).

Also going with Verizon as your carrier partner good luck pushing updates in any form of timely fashion or having an unlocked bootloader (though given the "pixel" branding they might not care about users having root anymore (another reason I'm waiting)

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2016, 01:48 AM   #3
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Yea I was kinda under whelmed. Glad I made the jump and caught a sale on an LG G4, upgrade from a Nexus 4, a couple of days ago instead of waiting for this.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 5, 2016, 05:37 AM   #4
Poacan
Boobs

Poacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPoacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Gonna hang on to my Nexus 6P for a while
Poacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2016, 06:06 AM   #5
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Whoever made up the Pixel pricing must have been high on crack.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2016, 06:31 AM   #6
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Zzzzzzzzzz....another glass slab. Amazon's phone was more interesting.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Really underwhelmed by this one. I sat through the whole announcement too, it was just boring.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:37 AM   #8
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Damn it you guys, now I'm never going to upgrade my phone
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:43 PM   #9
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Whoever made up the Pixel pricing must have been high on crack.
Mid-range features at high-end prices? What's not to like?
GTwannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2016, 01:12 PM   #10
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Damn it you guys, now I'm never going to upgrade my phone
We just got our missus mother a Honour 8. Pretty damn fast machine for the price.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 03:43 PM   #11
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Mid-range features at high-end prices? What's not to like?
Industry leading camera with the most powerful internal hardware is mid-range?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 03:55 PM   #12
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Industry leading camera with the most powerful internal hardware is mid-range?
Well if you travel a lot of, the exclusion of MicroSD and dual SIM is a pretty an epic fail.

Oh and they're manufactured by HTC - that alone puts it on the "No buy ever, EVER" -list.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 04:08 PM   #13
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Quote:
Well if you travel a lot of, the exclusion of MicroSD and dual SIM is a pretty an epic fail.

Oh and they're manufactured by HTC - that alone puts it on the "No buy ever, EVER" -list.
128GB Storage and unlimited photo storage is enough for me. I have a 128GB SD Card in my S7 and its barely 25% filled.

oh and its dust and water resistant....

http://www.gsmarena.com/confirmed_go...news-20903.php
Old Oct 5, 2016, 04:22 PM   #14
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
128GB Storage and unlimited photo storage is enough for me. I have a 128GB SD Card in my S7 and its barely 25% filled.

Not quite up there with the big boys.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

The dust/water resistance is virtually the same as my iPhone 6s+. Only difference is the Pixel is certified. That's basically the minimum dust/water resistance, it's not even worth mentioning, probably why Google didn't.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 05:11 PM   #16
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The dust/water resistance is virtually the same as my iPhone 6s+. Only difference is the Pixel is certified. That's basically the minimum dust/water resistance, it's not even worth mentioning, probably why Google didn't.
Means that if you get caught in the rain it should survive, just not going for a swim.

In the end if you intentionally soak your phone you are an idiot. There is a reason that none of them warranty their device against liquid damage even when they advertise it and are certified...

This isn't a mass market device, its an enthusiast handset that has the newest hardware and software.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

And somehow, it's still very meh.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 07:26 PM   #18
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Looks like their are jacking the price due to its software services/features instead of hardware... which is fine pending your personal view and desire. The phone looks solid, but nothing WOW. Camera looks impressive, but I was expecting more hardware zest. Im hoping real world reviews will show the phone has more than what was presented. There are a lot of other similar phones for half the cost, thats its biggest hit against it as i see it right now.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Oct 5, 2016 at 07:35 PM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2016, 01:49 PM   #19
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

You will never see an SD slot on a Google phone. Their goal is to make the handset a dumb terminal and store/process/analyze all your data in the cloud.

Personally, I don't see a need to store 500+ hours worth of music on a mobile device...
GTwannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2016, 09:37 AM   #20
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Personally, I don't see a need to store 500+ hours worth of music on a mobile device...
I take all my cell photos in uncompressed DNG format - needs a lot of space. Add to that the fact that I also use it for video recording, it eats -a lot- of space at 4k.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:18 AM   #21
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

why is HTC a "no buy, ever, ever" list?

HTC makes great phones. The HTC One M8 was an awesome phone until I lost it. Sturdy, full metal body, still light weight, wasn't stupid large, and had good battery life as well as awesome sound with the dual speakers in the front.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2016, 07:11 PM   #22
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Google is failing to stand out on the hardware side a camera that is marginally the best cell phone camera ever (until the next phone launch from any major player). Their saving grace is the actual patch cycle that they have. if any other manufacture kept that pace (samsung is getting there but their os is SO bloated I cant bring myself to buy it) I wouldnt even consider the pixel. Hell I am tempted to pick up a 6p now that stores are trying to clear inventory. (notice google took the 6p off the store as sonn as the pixel launched )

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2016, 02:56 AM   #23
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
why is HTC a "no buy, ever, ever" list?
I've owned 3 HTC phones (2 that I count as phones and one WM phone that barely qualifies as a phone) and they've all had issues, either software or hardware. 2 of them died <12 months and one (that I barely count as a phone) had a battery failure under 3 months although that one actually still works to this day.

I don't know how the **** people associate high build quality and HTC because me (and some guys at my old office) certainly didn't receive those phones. I guess it's my fault, I bought phones from their WM/WP lineup.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 09:46 AM   #24
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

It looks fugly, there isn't anything interesting on them and most of all the price is totally wrong.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2016, 01:15 PM   #25
Spencer
CA Driftwood

Spencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete stranger

I want it to succeed partly because I have some Google stock. But no removable battery?
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:19 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Removable battery is a relic of the past at this point.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 04:30 AM   #27
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

well, as already pointed out, it's ugly, too pricey (especially for what it is/can), there are a lot of way better smartphones in that range. I really don't see who would buy that crap.

Another vote for the honor 8 (or its Huawei-Pendant).....

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2016, 06:47 AM   #28
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

My money is on insta-flop.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:31 AM   #29
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
well, as already pointed out, it's ugly, too pricey (especially for what it is/can), there are a lot of way better smartphones in that range. I really don't see who would buy that crap.

Another vote for the honor 8 (or its Huawei-Pendant).....
If you were shopping for an Android device that would work on the Sprint network, what would you pick up?
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2016, 01:04 PM   #30
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I've owned 3 HTC phones (2 that I count as phones and one WM phone that barely qualifies as a phone) and they've all had issues, either software or hardware. 2 of them died <12 months and one (that I barely count as a phone) had a battery failure under 3 months although that one actually still works to this day.

I don't know how the **** people associate high build quality and HTC because me (and some guys at my old office) certainly didn't receive those phones. I guess it's my fault, I bought phones from their WM/WP lineup.
Haven't used my HTC One M7 much but I notice the camera has the much talked about purple hue issue after a year of use early on.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote