Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:02 AM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Apple confirms fault with iPhone 7
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/...-with-iphone-7
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:10 PM   #212
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
That's weird. Mine didn't do like that. No issue and I never used a headphone either. No problems at all.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:06 PM   #213
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

No issues with my wife's 7 so far, although her first comment was "looks and runs the same as my 6s, what's the big deal?" Good thing it was mostly free.

My 7+ arrives today. Not nearly as excited as I was before, but I'm looking forward to taking better pictures than on my 6+.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 22, 2016, 05:33 PM   #214
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

No hissing on mine, but can confirm the headphone remote is sketchy with the adapter. Hopefully Apple's promised fix comes soon, it's really annoying. Would also like to see their in-ear headset model in a Lightning version.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 03:25 PM   #215
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Remote seems to work fine now after today's update.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 05:09 PM   #216
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Got my iPhone 7+. No coil whine under load. Very stable and noticeably faster than my 6+.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 06:31 PM   #217
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Got my iPhone 7+. No coil whine under load. Very stable and noticeably faster than my 6+.
If you feel brave use one of those sites that can decode your serial number to get the week of manufacturer. It seems week 37 units had the noise issues. If you have a week 38 or later I may put an order in for one and wait forever.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:27 PM   #218
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

supposedly I'm two maybe three weeks from forever now

7+ drops better
http://bgr.com/2016/09/21/iphone-7-p...st-comparison/

but
Quote:
Some users complain about poor phone call sound on Apple's iPhone 7 & 7 Plus
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/...phone-7-7-plus
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:48 PM   #219
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Sound quality is fine for me.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 01:17 AM   #220
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Sound quality is fine for me.
good

looks like they filling orders are faster than expected

got shipping notice UPS has mine at DFW Airport, TX should show up 27th

now to have to wait on the case to the 30th+
Old Sep 24, 2016, 08:11 AM   #221
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

So far my only gripe has to do with 3D touch. Getting the OS to recognize that I want to move icons around is a PITA. Coming from the 6+ it will take some time to get used to this. Other than that, it's a solid phone with a better camera than my 6+. The 2x optical zoom lens is nice as well.

The value of upgrading from a 6s to the 7 is questionable. My wife's 7 is barely distinguishable from her 6s. Glad it was free with trade-in.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 09:56 AM   #222
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
So far my only gripe has to do with 3D touch. Getting the OS to recognize that I want to move icons around is a PITA. Coming from the 6+ it will take some time to get used to this. Other than that, it's a solid phone with a better camera than my 6+. The 2x optical zoom lens is nice as well.

The value of upgrading from a 6s to the 7 is questionable. My wife's 7 is barely distinguishable from her 6s. Glad it was free with trade-in.
Just gotta get used to lighter touches. It took me a while too, but it'll happen.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:58 PM   #223
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Have you adjusted the 3D touch force required in the settings?

Give it a shot, it helped me a lot.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...one-6s-6s-plus

And given what I've heard of the next processors, as well as larger changes to the iPhone in general, I am liking sitting this entire upgrade cycle out.

Now, if the Pixel ends up being WAY better than advertised, I'd consider it. Just not compelling right now, on either side.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2016, 02:14 PM   #224
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Got my plus replacement. None of the issues I had with the prior. Running the beta the portrait is nice in very good lighting outside of that it's like potato cam fest. Very fast phone too bad it's wasted on such a simple os. Looking forward to next year when apple does something about bezels and size. I don't use the plus phones much because the in hand feel is just bad compared to the competition. I like everything about the plus except it's overall size, and good yet still subpar screen. I think the next iphone with amoled and hopefully a much needed design overhaul will a much better phone.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2016, 02:49 PM   #225
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Got my plus replacement. None of the issues I had with the prior. Running the beta the portrait is nice in very good lighting outside of that it's like potato cam fest. Very fast phone too bad it's wasted on such a simple os. Looking forward to next year when apple does something about bezels and size. I don't use the plus phones much because the in hand feel is just bad compared to the competition. I like everything about the plus except it's overall size, and good yet still subpar screen. I think the next iphone with amoled and hopefully a much needed design overhaul will a much better phone.
that what they say every time

I also read the 8 will have wireless charging

the thing seem small to me coming from a 1520

grabbed the newer Flir one for iphone to see if it is good enough and fast enough to be useful on the 7+ for thermal imaging on the job
if not I can return it
Old Sep 25, 2016, 06:00 PM   #226
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

SO moved from her old 5 to the 7, was relatively painless and she's super stoked about several features. Helped that there was a nice upgrade discount for Verizon users on the 5 (instead of just the 6 and 6s models).

Made me immediately hate iTunes again though, as we had to use that to backup a few things for her... and it STILL ****ed up playlists and most of her music.

I remember when people used to say Apple made decent software

But she's super happy with the speed and sensors and all that. Home button definitely feels weird after using a clicky button. We tweaked the settings for her and all was good

Got the 128GB black model (matte, she loved the shiny model but hated the finger print and scratch magnet that the the floor model was).
Old Sep 25, 2016, 06:25 PM   #227
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

ups and apple has odd shipping

flying dallas tx to phoenix az by way of Louisville, KY
Old Sep 25, 2016, 07:13 PM   #228
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
that what they say every time

I also read the 8 will have wireless charging

the thing seem small to me coming from a 1520

grabbed the newer Flir one for iphone to see if it is good enough and fast enough to be useful on the 7+ for thermal imaging on the job
if not I can return it
Yea it's a constant wait for the next. Apple doesn't seem to do anything without pressure from competitors. Most of the keynote was bs being throw all over. I really hate their reasoning for the headphone port as none of them are valid. In terms of a business strategy it's a good one. I think apple does have pressure to deliver next year. Seeing as lots of demand was driven by carrier promos first couple of weeks be interesting to see real demand soon.

Old Sep 26, 2016, 06:48 AM   #229
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

So I guess I'll get the iPhone 7 plus 256 GB

The accessories are confusing as hell.

I'll get the 29W USB-C power adapter and USB-C Charge cable for fast charging
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ...-power-adapter
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK...ning-cable-1-m

I'll get the above USB-C to lighting cable which supports 5 Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 1

I WILL NOT get the 2 meter cable because it's for fast charge but USB 2 only.
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ...arge-cable-2-m

USB-C to Lightning junk is covered here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360

Is anyone else running that cable and/or power adapter?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 09:19 AM   #230
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Is it really worth it to spend 75 bucks on the cable and that 29w adapter? I use a lightning cable with a 10watt apple adapter and it charges pretty quickly IMO. Ive never timed it though but it is significantly faster than the small USB charger that comes with the phone.

I have the older version of this one: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...-power-adapter

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2016, 09:21 AM   #231
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Every time I click on this forum from the main listing, my brain finishes the topic preview as "The Official Fall of Apple" thread....

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2016, 09:54 AM   #232
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Yea it's a constant wait for the next. Apple doesn't seem to do anything without pressure from competitors. Most of the keynote was bs being throw all over. I really hate their reasoning for the headphone port as none of them are valid. In terms of a business strategy it's a good one. I think apple does have pressure to deliver next year. Seeing as lots of demand was driven by carrier promos first couple of weeks be interesting to see real demand soon.
There have been strong rumors on the AMOLED side, and possibly wireless charging.

I am curious to see if that happens as I am planning on completely skipping this upgrade cycle.

I strongly prefer Android (stock) as an OS, but nothing compelling on the hardware side making me consider an upgrade. Even my SO's phone doesn't feel much different, and I prefer my home button to hers.

A more interesting rumor I heard was the possible switch to USB-C. That would be massive (and cause quite an uproar), but would be amazing for the industry overall and general compatibility.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:07 PM   #233
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
There have been strong rumors on the AMOLED side, and possibly wireless charging.

I am curious to see if that happens as I am planning on completely skipping this upgrade cycle.

I strongly prefer Android (stock) as an OS, but nothing compelling on the hardware side making me consider an upgrade. Even my SO's phone doesn't feel much different, and I prefer my home button to hers.

A more interesting rumor I heard was the possible switch to USB-C. That would be massive (and cause quite an uproar), but would be amazing for the industry overall and general compatibility.
and piss me off to no end since I just bought a camera that uses the lightning plug
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:15 PM   #234
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I doubt they would switch to USB-C on their devices because they want to control their devices to the fullest.

Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:55 PM   #235
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

They will never swap over. Lighting = money. Mifi certifications is the driving factor for getting rid of the headphone port.

Just buy any 2amp charger, why bother with the apple cables and chargers. Overpriced and crap.

Old Sep 26, 2016, 01:09 PM   #236
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Is it really worth it to spend 75 bucks on the cable and that 29w adapter? I use a lightning cable with a 10watt apple adapter and it charges pretty quickly IMO. Ive never timed it though but it is significantly faster than the small USB charger that comes with the phone.

I have the older version of this one: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...-power-adapter
Given the cost of the 256 GB iPhone 7 plus with Apple Care plus $75 is like loose change in the sofa. Do I need the charger? Probably not in most cases but there have been some times I wanted a super fast charge.

I for sure want the 5Gb USB 3.1 connection. Since it's also a 29W charging cable I figured why not get it all. Downloading a lot of videos and pictures is too slow with USB 2. I will only shoot in DNG from now on and tweak in Lightroom.

Quote:
Just buy any 2amp charger, why bother with the apple cables and chargers. Overpriced and crap.
What third party cables will run the iPhone 7 Plus USB connection at 5Gb/s?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 01:13 PM   #237
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I doubt they would switch to USB-C on their devices because they want to control their devices to the fullest.
They have USB-C on their notebooks, so it's not unheard of.

It is a rumor, and even if they went that route, there is nothing preventing them from adding an auth id chip and minting licensing agreements as they tend to do.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 01:25 PM   #238
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Given the cost of the 256 GB iPhone 7 plus with Apple Care plus $75 is like loose change in the sofa. Do I need the charger? Probably not in most cases but there have been some times I wanted a super fast charge.

I for sure want the 5Gb USB 3.1 connection. Since it's also a 29W charging cable I figured why not get it all. Downloading a lot of videos and pictures is too slow with USB 2. I will only shoot in DNG from now on and tweak in Lightroom.

How many times are you going to be transferring files to a PC though? My iPhone hasnt been plugged into my PC since the iPhone 5 came out. All backups are done through iCloud.

If you need music youre probably only going to plug in a couple of times to transfer files maybe not even more than once cause I doubt youre going to fill up a 256gb iPhone with music... its definitely not worth the price IMO. Just because you bought an iPhone for a crap tons of money doesnt justify spending another 75 on it.

Sazar apple has USB-C on the macbook because they wanted to slim it down and that port is a do all port. I dont think lightning can do everything that USB-C can at the moment(not sure technically but at least USB-C will be a standard.) You will probably never see USB-C on iPads or iPhones.

Old Sep 26, 2016, 01:31 PM   #239
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
How many times are you going to be transferring files to a PC though? My iPhone hasnt been plugged into my PC since the iPhone 5 came out. All backups are done through iCloud.
About once a week. I take a lot of pictures and now I'm using DNG which takes a 10+ MB file plus a JPEG file for every photo. I also shoot a lot of 4k video. I have a couple pre-teens and my sister has 3. I'm sure I'll let up in a couple years.
My computer already has a USB-C port so a USB-C to lightning cable is fine with me.

128 GB would probably be fine...
Old Sep 26, 2016, 01:38 PM   #240
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post

what is the standard cable that comes with it ?

it is not usb 3 Type-A rated