Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 4, 2016, 08:05 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Yeah, stock usually takes around 6GB. Not like I'd be needing such extra internal storage mind cause most of my storage goes to music and pics and those can easily be stored on SD card. Just curious. Do you guys get the 64GB option in Canada? We are stuck with two models here in HK. Galaxy S7 32GB (Exynos 8890) and Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB (Qualcomm).
I think the 64GB model will be available later but I was only able to preorder the 32GB from Rogers.

Quote:
Anyway Zero, thanks for the advice earlier on. Got to play with the new S7s today and am utterly impressed. Preordered the S7 Edge and will get it around he 11th. Can't wait.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2016, 08:10 AM   #62
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

And as usual the US gets ****ed when it comes to capacities.

Oh well, I've made 16GB(8GB usable) in my S5 work for all this time, 32GB will be a welcome change even if it's only around 22GB.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2016, 08:57 AM   #63
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

So I was getting massive battery drain and realized it's due to my display mode being set to cinema pro and not adaptive. That is weird that forcing proper rgb is so battery demanding.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 4, 2016, 08:57 AM   #64
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post

Oh well, I've made 16GB(8GB usable) in my S5 work for all this time, 32GB will be a welcome change even if it's only around 22GB.
Not just the US, EU doesn't get 64GB, I'm not entirely sure Canada will either.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:55 AM   #65
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Did you not add any more storage? The mini-SD cards are dirt cheap now. I don't know what I'd do without it, truthfully...

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2016, 06:50 PM   #66
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I hate everyone with T-Mobile
I own my current Note 5 so I can upgrade to the Note 6 (when it comes out) or even S7 right now. So they allow me to change phones whenever I want without charge. The 820 is a 2+4 chip right? Like 2 very large ARM cores and 4 A53 cores. Hence why it performs similar to the A9.

Correction- It is a 2+2. Simple Quad Core. :-)

On the stock 5.1.1 Android Note 5.... The 7420 can handle being OC'd a bit more than it is clocked right now. The problem is, the task scheduler doesn't cap out the clock speeds on the Note 5. During the Antutu benchmark, it maxed out the clocks for 12.8 seconds on the A53 cores. The A57 cores maxxed out at 1,296Mhz with a random "spike" to 2.1Ghz. It wasn't thermal throttling either. CPU temp sensor was saying 107F during this test max and spent most of its time below 103F. Battery was reading 89-92F.

I have never run the Antutu bench on the Note 5 with Android 6.0.1 on it though so, I will have to try that later and see if they improved the task scheduler. Its A57 cores I have clocked to 2.4Ghz and the A53 cores to 1.6Ghz on it.

Hey Chuck, How much are the retail prices on the phones in HK? The S7 and S7 Edge. (and if there are any differences in price for the Qualcomm or Exynos versions)

Last edited by Flyordie : Mar 4, 2016 at 07:24 PM.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:41 PM   #67
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My S7 Edge just shipped on 3/6 Need to find a case right away so it gets here with the phone.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 06:34 AM   #68
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Yeah get a case from day 1. I already have scratches on mine from 3 days of it being out of a case.

Old Mar 7, 2016, 07:59 AM   #69
Zero
Sass hole

Magus did you get a chance to test S7 Exynos 8890 vs S7 820?

Where are the scratches on your phone btw? Aren't the front and back covered in GG4? What do you think caused them?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Mar 7, 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 08:00 AM   #70
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Scratches are on the back on the bottom. Looks like the phone has a bit of a lip and it has scuff marks from being naked.

Not yet. I will try to get it done today.

Old Mar 7, 2016, 02:03 PM   #71
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Did you not add any more storage? The mini-SD cards are dirt cheap now. I don't know what I'd do without it, truthfully...
For me the biggest problem is unable to install apps on the SD card, ofcourse Google made it possible to make the SD card a glorified internal memory expansion, but no one seems to use the feature.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2016, 03:40 PM   #72
ice
Rage3D Spammer

S6 vs S7 camera:

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:42 PM   #73
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Got mine today, holy mother it's nice. Camera is ****ing amazing compared to my S5.

I'll let you decide which is which...

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:37 PM   #74
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Funnily enough my S5 and S7 Edge have the exact screentime right now.

S5 is sitting at 39%. S7 has been benchmarked a bunch. It should only get better too.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:53 AM   #75
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Got mine today, holy mother it's nice. Camera is ****ing amazing compared to my S5.

I'll let you decide which is which...
The second one clearly has more detail and less noise on the wall. The S7 does have a very nice camera.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2016, 08:16 AM   #76
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Well, since my ancient S3 is finally starting to crap out, looks like time to upgrade. With a Gear VR tossed in, looks like an S7 might be fun.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2016, 08:27 AM   #77
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Another S5 comparison:

This was taken with one lamp turn on to the left of the subject.

I had the option of GearVR or the Gear S2 watch, I picked the watch because it's worth more if I just want to sell it and I won't want to take my phone out of the case every time I want to use VR.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 09:08 AM   #78
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Gotta say my V10 had better battery than the S7 Edge. I actually find the active battery life to be pretty poor.

Old Mar 10, 2016, 09:15 AM   #79
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Gotta say my V10 had better battery than the S7 Edge. I actually find the active battery life to be pretty poor.

I'm probably going to get 4.5 hours of screentime for my first charge cycle, and that's with me doing tons of benchmarking and no wifi here at work. I hit 6hrs screentime with my S5 once, usually got around 3.5-4hrs before it was a low percentage. Lots of people at XDA are getting 6-7hrs routinely.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:07 AM   #80
Rummy
Radeon R700

Rummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My titanium 7 Edge should be here today, can't wait.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:33 AM   #81
barleystout
Radeon R700

barleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete stranger

Was supposed to have mine yesterday. The weather we're having down here has affected it getting here. Oh well, can't get too worked up over that. At least I have The Division to hold me over. Don't even have that right now. Stupid work....
barleystout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:36 AM   #82
Rummy
Radeon R700

Rummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleystout View Post
Was supposed to have mine yesterday. The weather we're having down here has affected it getting here. Oh well, can't get too worked up over that. At least I have The Division to hold me over. Don't even have that right now. Stupid work....
I feel ya.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:46 AM   #83
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Ugh you guys are making me want to walk into T-mobile and jump to the S7 after I swore off Samsung again after the S6.

Does it have all the touchwiz jank the S6 did? The experience was far too laggy for me to be OK with.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2016, 05:10 PM   #84
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

So I think my unit has some issues. I can barely get 2 hours of screen time by 50% battery and my device charges painfully slow.

Here is fast charging at 69%, it's suppose to be an hour and a half from 0% to 100%. Not even close here.

Old Mar 10, 2016, 05:50 PM   #85
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Isn't it supposed to be super fast at lower percentages and then slowing down as you top off?

That's how my Nexus 6 was.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2016, 05:55 PM   #86
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Gave me a 4 hour estimate when it was at 40% yesterday.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:34 PM   #87
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Walked into local JB Hifi today. Didn't realise today was release day for the S7. My S3 has been dying for the last few weeks, random blue-screens.

Asked if they had any S7s in stock. They had 4 left, all Edges. As we were talking, some Chinese guy came in and bought three of them.

I bought the last one.

Won't use it until I get my Otterbox cover for it. Will also pick up a GearVR to play around with when they are in stock.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2016, 02:16 AM   #88
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

the camera sure is something you'll have to see to believe its quality. The batterylife on the other hand seems to be not that cool as most of us wished.

The 32GB isn't that much of a problem due to the mini-sd-cards, the S7 can stomach up to 200 GB that way.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2016, 08:00 AM   #89
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Walked into local JB Hifi today. Didn't realise today was release day for the S7. My S3 has been dying for the last few weeks, random blue-screens.

Asked if they had any S7s in stock. They had 4 left, all Edges. As we were talking, some Chinese guy came in and bought three of them.

I bought the last one.

Won't use it until I get my Otterbox cover for it. Will also pick up a GearVR to play around with when they are in stock.
I'm still waiting for my screen protectors so it's sitting in the plastic it came in, but inside a case at least. I'm not even putting it in my pocket, still carrying it around in the damn box. Hate that I waited until everything was backordered to order that ****.

I have another low light picture comparison I'll post in a bit. It's insane how far they came in two phone generations.

EDIT: This tool doesn't work to well here because I moved my hand too much, but meh. I like it anyway.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxta...4-0e7075bba956

And, and to the above, I'm at 42% charging right now and it says about 1h4m left to fully charge it.

EDIT: 42% at 10:59, 50% at 11:06.

EDIT: 62% at 11:16.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Last edited by ice : Mar 11, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 08:17 AM   #90
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Used my S7 Edge for a day and overall impressions are good.

Pros:
- The Camera is insanely good. Dual pixel tech isn't marketing hype. I've never seen a smartphone camera focus so fast. Night shots much sharper than the 6S.

- Build quality is superb. The S6 and S7 are the only Android smartphone series I've seen that matches the iPhone.

- Call are less muddled than the 6S.

- Speaker is loud and clear for a smartphone.

- Sexiest smartphone I have seen to date. Makes iPhones look like knockoffs.

- AMOLED screen has nice punchy colours and has less motion blur compared to my 6S' IPS screen. PPI difference is barely noticeable though.

- 5.5" screen and it doesn't feel big at all. Fits in my pocket perfectly without that annoying bulge.

- First Snapdragon phone I have owned that doesn't overheat while gaming.

Cons:
- This is a nitpick but the home button is overly "clicky" for my taste. Compared to the 6S home button, makes more noise and feels more stiff than I am accustomed to.

- are pretty much guaranteed to muffle the speaker whenever you play games in landscape orientation.

- Game Launcher crashes often.

- Edge screen is a gimmick and has discolouration on the edges. Extremely noticeable on a white background.

- Snapdragon 820 is a thirsty mofo. Battery life suffers and phone lasts on medium brightness around the same as my 6S. A bit disappointing for a 3600Mah battery imho.

I know this doesn't sound like it but I finally feel there's a phone I'd most probably at least keep a year. Don't know why but it's just too damn sexy.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote