Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 22, 2015, 02:16 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Yes, we can tell

Which music app are you using? Some of them have a setting (example, Pandora) where soon as it connects to your vehicle, the app fires up. That's how mine is setup
Google Play Music doesn't have that option. My Xperia had Smart Actions, where you could set up headphones, Bluetooth, etc, and even make it location based.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2015, 05:27 PM   #92
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
I think this phone will flop like current s6. Sales are really bad for regular s6's and note 5 is same phone with bigger screen + spen.
I feel it will be far worse then expected, I am not seeing the demand that I saw from the Note 4. Most of the retail stores I visit barely have anyone getting it or even talking about it.

It's a nice phone but I think Samsung shot themselves in the foot trying to hard to be like iPhone.

Oh and Elysian, Enjoy the ads!

Sorry I got a kick out of this news, it's so Samsung...
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_star...blog-13656.php
Old Aug 22, 2015, 06:24 PM   #93
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

No ads here
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 24, 2015, 08:16 AM   #94
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Well I gave it the old college try kiddos. Bought the Note 5 on Friday and returned it Sunday.

It's a BEAUTIFUL phone. Feels great in the hands. But flashbacks of my S4 experiences began to surface, ultimately sending me back to the iPhone. Nothing major, but it's the little things.

1) First and foremost was when I search the Play Store for an app, the videos they show have ads. WTF? I just want to see what the app does real quick, but you hit me off with an ad first. Yuck. Tacky.

2) No actionable notifications for text messages. The native Samsung app didn't do it, so I figured ok, I'll just grab the official Google Messenger app. Nope. There's quick reply when I'm in the phone already. But if the lock screen is on, it just shows me the message, but can't do anything with it but swipe away. Then I tried trust Textra. That worked, but wasn't consistent. This is really a basic feature. Having to download 2 apps just to get it reinforced the holes in Google's platform. Customization is all well and fine, but having to go this far is silly.

3) Group messages didn't work sending to and from users with iPhones. One person would get it (the first person on the list), the others wouldn't.

4) Missed the hardware button to the phone to go silent.

5) Missed the tap that takes you to the top of the screen.

6) Scrolling through websites weren't smooth at all. It would scroll, but have some kind of stutter if the pages was media heavy. Some of my touch wouldn't register properly. I felt I had to press harder to make pages scroll.

7) The built in finger print reader was great. However it wouldn't auto unlock my phone and bring to my home screen. I still have to swipe to unlock. Perhaps this was user error? No apps made use of this finger print reader to unlocking the app if you have a passcode on it. Would be great for Android Pay....6-8 months from now (see #10).

8) Battery life isn't great. Took it off charge at 7am. But noon I had 48% battery life. My normal use of web, Youtube, photos, Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. Now I see why Android users were freaking out about not having a removable battery.

9) My immediate family and closet friends all have iPhones, so iMessage/Facetime would be missed.

10). The realization I will always be 1 Android update behind just by sheer nature of the Android platform.

But man, the phone is beauty to hold. S Pen is terrific. All the apps I use were there, including games so they made great progess on that front. That display is godlike (though I thought it was a bit warm in color).
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 08:22 AM   #95
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

6) Scrolling through websites weren't smooth at all. It would scroll, but have some kind of stutter if the pages was media heavy. Some of my touch wouldn't register properly. I felt I had to press harder to make pages scroll.
Not my experience at all.

Quote:
7) The built in finger print reader was great. However it wouldn't auto unlock my phone and bring to my home screen. I still have to swipe to unlock. Perhaps this was user error? No apps made use of this finger print reader to unlocking the app if you have a passcode on it. Would be great for Android Pay....6-8 months from now (see #10).
Mine unlocks as soon as I touch the fingerprint scanner, no swiping required. It doesn't go to the home screen though, it goes to the last thing opened, or whatever you double click on from the lock screen.

Quote:
8) Battery life isn't great. Took it off charge at 7am. But noon I had 48% battery life. My normal use of web, Youtube, photos, Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. Now I see why Android users were freaking out about not having a removable battery.
I've been working on figuring this one out, and I think part of it is the Weather service constantly polling GPS. I disabled this since I use a custom widget that has its own weather, and my battery life has been much better.

Quote:
9) My immediate family and closet friends all have iPhones, so iMessage/Facetime would be missed.
Hangounts works on iPhone and Android and all types of PC

Quote:
10). The realization I will always be 1 Android update behind just by sheer nature of the Android platform.
Irrelevant. I liken the Nexus users to beta testers, sure they have the latest and greatest, but they have all the headaches that come with that too. iPhone users get that regardless, always at the will of Apple, whether the update is good or not.

Also, there are settings for the display, you can change how it looks, warm/cold wise. Think there's 4 different settings? I disable the adjustments though.

Last edited by Elysian : Aug 24, 2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 08:47 AM   #96
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Not my experience at all.
I tried rebooting to no luck and updated all the apps. Apps loaded freaking fast though. Switching via multitasking - no hiccups. Hardware is freaking stellar on this phone.

Quote:
Mine unlocks as soon as I touch the fingerprint scanner, no swiping required. It doesn't go to the home screen though, it goes to the last thing opened, or whatever you double click on from the lock screen.
Could have just been me not understanding how it worked.

Quote:
Hangounts works on iPhone and Android and all types of PC
I know. But trying to get others to install an app just because lonely ol' me want to for this usually doesn't go well.

Quote:
Irrelevant. I liken the Nexus users to beta testers, sure they have the latest and greatest, but they have all the headaches that come with that too. iPhone users get that regardless, always at the will of Apple, whether the update is good or not.
Perhaps. I preferred the simplified method Apple takes since they take care of all that before the user sees it. How long does Google support older phones? Say I have the Note 5, will Google support the phone for 3 OS versions? I never been sure on this. I don't think it matters in Android world though.

I'm convinced that if you're on Android, stick with Android. It's a great platform and it's improved much more since I had the S4. If you're on Apple, stick with Apple. Can't really go wrong with either one these days. The Note 5 camera is excellent. I'll post pics later.

Last edited by Razeus : Aug 24, 2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:43 AM   #97
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Picked up the Note 5 on Saturday to replace my Note 3. Fantastic phone and definitely worth the upgrade. Phone is wicked quick.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:58 AM   #98
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Battery life for me has been similar to the note 4. The ram optimization is still shitty but not like the s6 in terms of closing outs etc.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 01:35 PM   #99
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Apparently a good reason for some of the speed and battery life is the super aggressive background task killing/suspension by Samsung's optimizations.

Lots of videos comparing to an LG G4 and others, showing cycling of apps loading, etc.

First cycle, the Note 5 is faster than pretty much anything else. But loading back the same apps the 2nd time around shows other phones are waking from suspend better. Almost seems like Samsung completely closes some apps.

Guess it will not likely affect most folks, but just something to consider if it affects your usage model.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 02:19 PM   #100
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I tell you what, the slimness of the phone compared to the Note 3 feels great to hold and use. Speakers and camera are a huge improvement along with the charge time. I am skipping a generation so I would notice this big improvement. So far I am loving this phone.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:05 PM   #101
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

SoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Phone arrives today... Been using the S4 for over 2 years now and it has served me quite well, but it is time to move on!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:07 PM   #102
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

You guys are going to enjoy this phone. It's a tad bit smaller in height than my 6 Plus, yet .2" bigger screen size. It's a joy to hold. I found I was able to operate it one handed, which I can barely do on my 6 Plus.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:14 PM   #103
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Took some pictures of my new place this weekend:

These are just snapped in auto mode, no changes made to anything.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 04:27 PM   #104
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Congrats on the new place
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 08:41 PM   #105
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Took some pictures of my new place this weekend:

These are just snapped in auto mode, no changes made to anything.
Solid dynamic range, pretty low on noise in low light too.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 08:43 PM   #106
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Try HDR mode. Samsung's real-time implementation is nuts.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:13 PM   #107
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

SoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Got the phone. Amazing so far! Just the arduous task of setting everything up, cleaning up the apps, etc. Not sure what I'm going to use that S-Pen for yet, but I'll figure it out (or won't worry about it! ).

Camera is unreal compared to my S4. Everything is snappy, although it felt like I needed to restart a good 4-5 times before everything properly updated and showed up.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 01:09 AM   #108
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

Just make sure you don't accidentally insert the spen backwards. Theres a high chance of bricking you brand new 800$ phone.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...ge-the-device/

Last edited by Spyhawk : Aug 25, 2015 at 02:10 AM.
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:39 AM   #109
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Battery life hasn't gotten any better really, even disabling things. .. my Z3 would get great battery life without even trying, so this has been pretty disappointing so far.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:16 AM   #110
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Battery life hasn't gotten any better really, even disabling things. .. my Z3 would get great battery life without even trying, so this has been pretty disappointing so far.
New Sony phone coming Septermber 2 Ely...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/25/xperia-z5-teaser/
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:25 AM   #111
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
New Sony phone coming Septermber 2 Ely...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/25/xperia-z5-teaser/
We'll see how it is. I have JUMP 1.0, so I can upgrade anytime I like.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:30 AM   #112
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
All the reviews are saying nothing about battery life. When I mentioned this on another forum, they all thought I had a bad phone. I know I only had it for a few days, but the drop in battery life was consistent. It was my only real disappointment in the phone since it's one of the 4 pillars I look for in a phone. On my 6 Plus I'm at 40% battery at 5pm when I get off work with taking it off the charger at 5am to hit the gym. Something is off on the Samsung phone. I'd exchange it if I were you.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:36 AM   #113
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
We'll see how it is. I have JUMP 1.0, so I can upgrade anytime I like.
Ya. I think we've reached the limits of smartphones as 2015 is showing. Any phone is good. What irks me is that each phone is missing something a little different. One phone will lack a great camera, while another cuts corners on battery life, while another lacks NFC, while another doesn't have fingerprint sensor, etc. etc. They aren't going to get any thinner. Camera sensors are maxed due to their size. All that's left is software optimizations to speed things up and bring new features.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:38 AM   #114
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So how much more often are you on your phone now? That's something people tend to not realize. They get a new phone and their ass is on it more often for the first couple of days. Also, the z3 is only 1080p with a larger battery albeit only 100mah. Be realistic here.

Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:47 AM   #115
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
All the reviews are saying nothing about battery life. When I mentioned this on another forum, they all thought I had a bad phone. I know I only had it for a few days, but the drop in battery life was consistent. It was my only real disappointment in the phone since it's one of the 4 pillars I look for in a phone. On my 6 Plus I'm at 40% battery at 5pm when I get off work with taking it off the charger at 5am to hit the gym. Something is off on the Samsung phone. I'd exchange it if I were you.
All the reviews I saw claimed about 30min better than the Note 4... I don't have any experience to know if that's good or not.

There's a guy claiming 9hrs screen on time on xda, but I doubt the veracity of his claims...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:47 AM   #116
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
So how much more often are you on your phone now? That's something people tend to not realize. They get a new phone and their ass is on it more often for the first couple of days. Also, the z3 is only 1080p with a larger battery albeit only 100mah. Be realistic here.
I use my phone the same as I use my Z3, I haven't changed my habits.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:51 AM   #117
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
All the reviews I saw claimed about 30min better than the Note 4... I don't have any experience to know if that's good or not.
I don't find it to be any better than my note 4, and in my book the note 4 is not exactly that great in battery life. The z3 is better for sure

Quote:
I use my phone the same as I use my Z3, I haven't changed my habits.
How much worse are we talking about here? If your usage is really the same.

Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:57 AM   #118
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I don't find it to be any better than my note 4, and in my book the note 4 is not exactly that great in battery life. The z3 is better for sure

How much worse are we talking about here? If your usage is really the same.
If I don't top up in the middle of the day I'm dead by 8pm or sooner. That's taking it off the charger at 615 every morning, and running in power save mode all day, with screen brightness low, non-essential apps and notifications disabled, etc. I've stripped the phone down as much as I can while retaining the functionality I need. My Z3 could last a day and a half on a charge, easily.

And if we're being realistic, this is 2015 and we still have companies putting out phones with all the bells and whistles except for battery life. The Z3 was damn near perfect in that regard, unfortunately I got sucked in with the stylus and build quality of another subpar Samsung phone with mediocre battery life... I probably should have stuck with my no Samsung policy.... now I'm stuck until something like the next Xperia or similar comes out...

And that's the thing that sucks about all the smartphone reviews... They do all this supposed stress testing, claim the phones get tablet-like screen on time, then when I get the phone I'm lucky if I get half that.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:13 AM   #119
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
If I don't top up in the middle of the day I'm dead by 8pm or sooner. That's taking it off the charger at 615 every morning, and running in power save mode all day, with screen brightness low, non-essential apps and notifications disabled, etc. I've stripped the phone down as much as I can while retaining the functionality I need. My Z3 could last a day and a half on a charge, easily.

And if we're being realistic, this is 2015 and we still have companies putting out phones with all the bells and whistles except for battery life. The Z3 was damn near perfect in that regard, unfortunately I got sucked in with the stylus and build quality of another subpar Samsung phone with mediocre battery life... I probably should have stuck with my no Samsung policy.... now I'm stuck until something like the next Xperia or similar comes out...

And that's the thing that sucks about all the smartphone reviews... They do all this supposed stress testing, claim the phones get tablet-like screen on time, then when I get the phone I'm lucky if I get half that.
Coming off the charger @ 630 here and I can get thru till 10pm no problem. However it will die out by 12am ish. My office has horrid reception and I am on it quite a bit during the early morning to afternoon hours. From what your descrbing your battery life is worse than my s6 is. You should check for anything that's giving out abnormally high usage.

Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:25 AM   #120
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Coming off the charger @ 630 here and I can get thru till 10pm no problem. However it will die out by 12am ish. My office has horrid reception and I am on it quite a bit during the early morning to afternoon hours. From what your descrbing your battery life is worse than my s6 is. You should check for anything that's giving out abnormally high usage.
I've already done that (and mentioned I've done that) several times.