Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 9, 2015, 03:06 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I suspect that they wont sell as many because no company is going to be subsidizing the thing like phones. That LG watch above looks way better than the iWatch.
Sprint likely will bundle it with their iPhones, and expect others to do similar things
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 03:33 PM   #32
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post

Bet you apple copies this next.
I hope not, that's ugly in it's own right.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:05 PM   #33
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:26 PM   #34
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Leather strap for Moto 360 is about $50 and the metal one is about $80 I think. So at least the lower price point SORT of meets that. But nylon @ $50 is a bit dodgy. Also, you HAVE to buy official bands, you can't just buy off the shelf NATO straps, etc. if you want. I am expecting there to be a market for folks who make adapters that plug into the slots and allow folks to add whatever they want (a la Moto360).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:29 PM   #35
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
I hope not, that's ugly in it's own right.
Eh, I dunno.

Not a fan of some of the LG stuff, but the Moto360 and the Huawei watches are 2 of the best aesthetically speaking.

Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:54 PM   #36
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Apple watch is one bulky ugly turd to wear on your wrist.
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 08:19 PM   #37
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

it's still too big/thick and the screen is too low res IMO. the only thing that might interest me is the HRM functionality, but i doubt even apple can fix the unreliability of wrist based heart rate sensors
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 09:13 PM   #38
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciera View Post
it's still too big/thick and the screen is too low res IMO. the only thing that might interest me is the HRM functionality, but i doubt even apple can fix the unreliability of wrist based heart rate sensors
Screen res is fine.

I can see folks using the watch more for actual interactions/touch, but while I have applications that can do that, I primarily use my device (as do most folks on the Android Wear forums/reddit sub) for glancing at notifications and some interactions.

The 3 different input methods for a watch seem excessive and I am surprised they stuck with it. Someone high up must have decided that that was the way to go for the UI and so here we are. Google is typically the one who complicates things somewhat.

Heart rate sensors are fine. Mine works great, doubt you'll have an issue with the Apple Watch. Also the resolution is fine. IIRC, they are pushing a constant 60FPS, which Wear does not do. I could be wrong but I think that's what was stated. Doesn't really make much difference from a usage perspective, but the experience will be better. Will have to check it out in hand to figure out if it's decent or not.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:42 PM   #39
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

US$10k for a watch that'll be obsolete in a year? Now that's what you call a perfect deal!
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:49 PM   #40
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Its a P-OLED display with an almost 300ppi it's not bad at all. It's also made by LG

Honestly it's specs match most of the Android wear watches, it's only lacks in battery which is insulting. Their 18 hour of life equates to 45 mins of app time and 30min of music playback... That's poor as ****, imagine what it would be like when 3rd party apps actually come into play.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:18 PM   #41
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Definitely want to wait for at least the second one... their MO every year is thinner this and that. Version two will be at least 40% thinner, making the bet now.

As an FYI, I looked up the graphics chipset in that 12" Macbook. Its performance is, allegedly, on par with a Macbook Air from 2013 or so. I think a Macbook Air, especially since it was refreshed today as well, is better bang for your buck. If that's possible in Apple land.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:17 AM   #42
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Definitely want to wait for at least the second one... their MO every year is thinner this and that. Version two will be at least 40% thinner, making the bet now.

As an FYI, I looked up the graphics chipset in that 12" Macbook. Its performance is, allegedly, on par with a Macbook Air from 2013 or so. I think a Macbook Air, especially since it was refreshed today as well, is better bang for your buck. If that's possible in Apple land.
^This. 1st-gen Apple products is always a no no.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2015, 01:30 AM   #43
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
^This. 1st-gen Apple products is always a no no.
at least the iphone looked good...

This looks like crap in every way possible

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:00 AM   #44
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Seems like a pretty conservative offering from Apple. Not really impressed, especially given the price. Like any smart watch I'd probably wait for the second gen.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2015, 07:08 PM   #45
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Its a P-OLED display with an almost 300ppi it's not bad at all. It's also made by LG

Honestly it's specs match most of the Android wear watches, it's only lacks in battery which is insulting. Their 18 hour of life equates to 45 mins of app time and 30min of music playback... That's poor as ****, imagine what it would be like when 3rd party apps actually come into play.
Specs might match, but it costs 2-3 times, at the base, and shoots up from there.

It'll likely still sell tons but the input methods that have bothered me from day one continue to be an issue. You have touch, you have the wheel, you have the clicking of that wheel, you have the OTHER button. Why? It's a ****ing watch, why do you need so many forms of interaction on such a tiny device?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 05:30 PM   #46
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Is it wrong that when I see this thing, all I can envision are these:

Disney Magic Bands, something that Apple had a large hand in making... so it doesn't shock me... but yeah... Will be interesting to see where wearable computing goes...

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:16 PM   #47
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Will be interesting to see where wearable computing goes...
As long as it's tied to high end fashion, it's going nowhere. Even if it sells better then the best watch maker... at product prices in the five digits, I don't think this thing gets a refresh every year. I think it's refresh rate will be similar to the AppleTV.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:43 AM   #48
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
As long as it's tied to high end fashion, it's going nowhere. Even if it sells better then the best watch maker... at product prices in the five digits, I don't think this thing gets a refresh every year. I think it's refresh rate will be similar to the AppleTV.
It can't afford to be.

Unlike a mechanical device, a digital gadget NEEDS to be cutting edge AND a status symbol in order to be relevant.

A $10,000 watch using last years tech when a $500 device is newer and does more is not going to be able to be used to rub people's faces in it.

It's the same reason you see folks who drove a 430 look to flip to the 458 (if they had a ton of money). And why 458 owners are now looking at the next iteration.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 03:11 PM   #49
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-watch-review

Rather a detailed write-up on the Verge, reviewing the product. Also video of usage.

Their review and verdict (7/10 score)

GOOD STUFF

- Easily the nicest smartwatch available
- Platform has endless room to grow, especially with native apps
- Taptic Engine is really cool

BAD STUFF

- Performance issues, especially with apps and location services
- Notifications need way more granular settings
- Much more expensive than other smartwatches
- Animated emojis are nightmare fuel

I'll argue the "nicest smartwatch available" piece, but since it was originally discussed/talked about (and when Wear devices didn't come standard with NFC), I've been touting the pay feature.

The quirkiness of all the interface methods took Nilay some time to wade through (see his AMA on reddit currently on-going). And the slowness of stuff he kept going on about was not something I expected.

His comment about this going the way of the original iPad seems spot on. Invest at your own risk as Apple will likely be pretending this never existed very soon. Those spending $10k... well, you can afford the next one too
Old Apr 8, 2015, 03:22 PM   #50
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

wow, lower than i thought considering it's the verge and all. seems like waiting for next years model is the way to go
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2015, 03:41 PM   #51
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
seems like waiting for next years model is the way to go
Yup, just like the reviewer said... what good is a watch that makes you wait. Try again Apple... you might get it right with the iWatch S.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2015, 06:50 PM   #52
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I feel that score should be lower, it has some really bad technical issues and yet scored the same as the G Watch R that most of its cons were related to either Android Wear or not compatible with iPhone.

Hell they complained about the G Watch Rs battery life and that was over a day of life but this can barely last a day and its not on the con list?

Bleh
Old Apr 8, 2015, 07:27 PM   #53
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I feel that score should be lower, it has some really bad technical issues and yet scored the same as the G Watch R that most of its cons were related to either Android Wear or not compatible with iPhone.

Hell they complained about the G Watch Rs battery life and that was over a day of life but this can barely last a day and its not on the con list?

Bleh
The Verge is typically super kind to Apple devices. Not a mouthpiece like BGR, but definitely extra flowery and effusive in praise. A 7 is considered low for them

They don't call it iVerge for nothing

He did call out the battery life and a few other things besides the software and interface quirks, I didn't see it on the final list but assumed it was because they shortened it and kept the bigger hitting items. Who knows.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 02:48 AM   #54
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Nicest smartwatch?

wow what apple fanboys they are...

None of the current smartwatches look good but apples looks like ****

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 03:51 AM   #55
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Is it wrong that when I see this thing, all I can envision are these:

Disney Magic Bands, something that Apple had a large hand in making... so it doesn't shock me... but yeah... Will be interesting to see where wearable computing goes...
Wouldn't it be hilarious if all the apple(watch)-fanboys were forced to wear these? I sure would pee myself from laughing all day long.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 07:59 AM   #56
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Someone explain to me the purpose of a smartwatch. Specifically, one that's always tethered to another device.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 08:22 AM   #57
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Someone explain to me the purpose of a smartwatch. Specifically, one that's always tethered to another device.
it adds more tech-bling

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 08:47 AM   #58
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Quote:
For me it's quick access to emails, texts and notifications. I drive a lot and my state has a no texting law so having my phone in my hands alone could get me a ticket. With a watch I can just glance at my wrist and see my notifications.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 08:57 AM   #59
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I've been using the gear s since launch. Other watches I have really require the need for my phone to even function. However, my gear s has its own phone number etc... Granted it's not very attractive watch, its more like a bracelet lol. However, it is nice when I run to the store, go running and such to not even need to bring my phone. It's also nice especially in nyc to not have to take out my phone in public places, I can see all my alerts etc.

The apple watch looks to be a half baked attempt in mashing together what android wear and Samsung tizen has tried to do already. It lacks polish just like the rest, considering they came last to the game its rather sad.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2015, 09:00 AM   #60
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Is it that critical to see notifications while you're driving (and if so, why no just pull over to check/respond) or why not use text to voice?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote