Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 8, 2014, 08:12 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
All I know is this, it will surely revolutionize the entire phone market. It will be fun to watch and all of us then see how many good phones this forces Samsung to try to make in order to compete, much as they recently did when the massively successful and revolutionary iPhone 4s caused Samsung to evolve the S3. The entire cell phone market will surely benefit!
And how, exactly, do non-iPhone phones revolutionize anything? Because they have a bigger screen? Big deal. My living room TV has a bigger screen than my laptop, but I can still watch TV/Netflix/Hulu and play games on it. Because they have apps? Wowsers. Even refrigerators can display the weather and stuff now. Because they make calls better? Yeah, how did we ever do that before Samsung started making cell phones?

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 11:05 PM   #32
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
And now Apple is buying Beats Audio. Holy crap.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:37 AM   #33
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Buying Beats Audio is a giant waste of money imho. But it might finally break the stigma of Apple audio hardware having terrible audio quality(true or not). Which would actually be kinda funny given Beats over priced, mostly meh hardware.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 9, 2014, 11:55 AM   #34
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Buying Beats Audio is a giant waste of money imho. But it might finally break the stigma of Apple audio hardware having terrible audio quality(true or not). Which would actually be kinda funny given Beats over priced, mostly meh hardware.

Fits right into the Apple MO, no?

Old May 9, 2014, 01:11 PM   #35
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Wait, if they make a bigger screen, what will happen to the big screen bashers/small screen apologizers?
Old May 9, 2014, 01:43 PM   #36
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
Wait, if they make a bigger screen, what will happen to the big screen bashers/small screen apologizers?
It's only revolutionary when a particular company does it

I still find it funny the grief Dell got when their Streak was launched. The OS was a bit pants, but the product intro was ****ing brilliant given the direction the industry took.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 02:14 AM   #37
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Since nobody reads before they respond...

Beats Audio is clearly the best headphone anybody can buy on the market today as wisely indicated by their great sales and the kids you see in the gym that wear them all the time. If they weren't great then why would poeple pay so much? For amazingly industry leading audio quality that is better than virtually any imaginable technology that has ever been made, in or outside the professional studio environment. They were probably worth twice what Apple paid. I bet they would be a bigger company than the likes of Nike and even Samsung if they had not been bought. I've never used one or even touched one, but I would surely be amazed if I had.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 02:18 AM   #38
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

On a more serious note, they'll be announcing the iPhone 6 in August it seems.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A4808C20140509

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old May 10, 2014, 03:30 AM   #39
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've read that they may have also invented OIS for camera improvements.....

Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 03:58 AM   #40
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

The camera NEEDS improvements to be serious. If you remember, there was zero increase from the 5 to the 5s.

Old May 10, 2014, 08:43 AM   #41
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Beats Audio is clearly the best headphone anybody can buy on the market today as wisely indicated by their great sales and the kids you see in the gym that wear them all the time. If they weren't great then why would poeple pay so much? For amazingly industry leading audio quality that is better than virtually any imaginable technology that has ever been made, in or outside the professional studio environment.
Holy ****... you are retarded
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 01:42 PM   #42
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Holy ****... you are retarded
The next post after may have indicated he doesn't have his head as far up apples ass as it may seem....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 02:24 PM   #43
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thumbs down Waste of time

Really, are you guys really that stupid to post so much crap on this subject. You have a guy posting stupid comments to get the android and windows phone guys wound up like hornets... Who is the moderator in this forum.
This is just dumb. It really is. What a waste.
Old May 10, 2014, 02:37 PM   #44
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Basically I'm just saying stay on topic.
Old May 10, 2014, 03:54 PM   #45
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
The next post after may have indicated he doesn't have his head as far up apples ass as it may seem....
Yup, it's called sarcasm. But to be fair Beats may have been bought to block Samsung or somebody else from buying them. Apple has always been known for good ear buds, and I'm guessing the threat of somebody else hitting the market with BETTER ones was enough to make them buy Beats. Sometimes it's about market strategy more than "better" products.

Old May 10, 2014, 04:22 PM   #46
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Yup, it's called sarcasm. But to be fair Beats may have been bought to block Samsung or somebody else from buying them. Apple has always been known for good ear buds, and I'm guessing the threat of somebody else hitting the market with BETTER ones was enough to make them buy Beats. Sometimes it's about market strategy more than "better" products.
No, they haven't.
Old May 10, 2014, 05:03 PM   #47
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Indeed they have. At the very least that's been public perception.

AT any rate here's what I'd like to see the iPhone 6 add:

Better camera (front and back)
Better screen resultions
Improved Siri recognition
SD card slot
Thinner bezel on top and bottom
Bigger battery

Old May 10, 2014, 05:31 PM   #48
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Life pro tip. Perception != reality.
Old May 10, 2014, 05:58 PM   #49
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

AT any rate here's what I'd like to see the iPhone 6 add:

Better camera (front and back)
Better screen resultions
Improved Siri recognition
SD card slot
Thinner bezel on top and bottom
Bigger battery
You are so going to be disappointed then. Three of those things I can 100% guarantee wont happen.

Oh and Apple ear buds are pure garbage, everyone knows that. Even apple that's why they had to redesign them somewhat. The iPhone in general isn't a great music device since any real audiophile would want to listen to music in FLAC or another good loss-less codec which the iPhone doesn't support.
|MaguS| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 06:50 PM   #50
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Apple will never allow for their cash cow of restrictive, built in memory to go away. That is unless they develop their own proprietary format slot and card that they then could fleece their users with across all markets...

Yes, more storage costing more money per phone makes sense, but... The actual difference in cost of manufacturing a 16GB vs 32GB or the 32GB vs 64GB isn't $100. Hell, from the 16 to the 64 its only about a $2-3 difference for the part, yet you're paying $200 for that...

The same thing happens on all phone manufacturers, at least with most Droid ones you can do it yourself and double, triple, even quadruple your storage with the removable media slot.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 08:32 PM   #51
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
You are so going to be disappointed then. Three of those things I can 100% guarantee wont happen.

Oh and Apple ear buds are pure garbage, everyone knows that. Even apple that's why they had to redesign them somewhat. The iPhone in general isn't a great music device since any real audiophile would want to listen to music in FLAC or another good loss-less codec which the iPhone doesn't support.
Everyone knows that...

Here's a question for you: Do you think if Apple supported FLAC or included amazing ear buds, their sales would jump tremendously?

iPhone is for the masses, this forum is for enthusiasts. The two crowds don't mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Apple will never allow for their cash cow of restrictive, built in memory to go away. That is unless they develop their own proprietary format slot and card that they then could fleece their users with across all markets...

Yes, more storage costing more money per phone makes sense, but... The actual difference in cost of manufacturing a 16GB vs 32GB or the 32GB vs 64GB isn't $100. Hell, from the 16 to the 64 its only about a $2-3 difference for the part, yet you're paying $200 for that...

The same thing happens on all phone manufacturers, at least with most Droid ones you can do it yourself and double, triple, even quadruple your storage with the removable media slot.
I'm not convinced SD Cards is even an useful feature to an average user. SDCard means you need extra circuitry, and completely new mechanical design, maybe involving a spring. More QA testing, etc etc. for a feature that maybe 5% of the user base actually use.

My opinion is that it is useless, they should just double the storage instead (which is pathetic how in 2014, the baseline is still 16GB)

Last edited by VVanks : May 12, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 08:54 PM   #52
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
iPhone is for the masses
Android is for the masses.

Quote:
this forum is for enthusiasts.
Android is for the enthusiasts.

Quote:
The two crowds don't mix.
The crowds don't, but the OS and devices don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Quote:
I'm not convinced SD Cards is even an useful feature to an average user. SDCard means you need extra circuitry, and completely new mechanical design, maybe involving a spring. More QA testing, etc etc. for a feature that maybe 5% of the user base actually use.
I agree. It's useful for some folks. I don't have a need for it, but it's not bad to have options if it is available.

Apple does not need to include one if it is not needed, especially with cloud services on offer.

Quote:
My opinion is that it is useless, they should just double the storage instead (which is pathetic how in 2014, the baseline is still 16GB)
Cloud storage and services should make this less important, but options are good. 64GB or more should be offered, but I guarantee you that there will be MASSIVE gouging.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:33 PM   #53
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Rumored specs of the 4.7" iPhone 6:
-A8 Processor
-1GB RAM
-same old 8-megapixel camera
-1334x768 Sapphire glass screen
-mono speaker

Being used to Apple quality I certainly hope they'd at least up the RAM and as I previously said screen resolution. Apple was the strongest when they set up industry standards and I just don't see their reputation as a luxury phone maker would do them good for long as people are shifting towards cheaper phones with similar specs.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 11:56 PM   #54
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Rumored specs of the 4.7" iPhone 6:
-A8 Processor
-1GB RAM
-same old 8-megapixel camera
-1334x768 Sapphire glass screen
-mono speaker

Being used to Apple quality I certainly hope they'd at least up the RAM and as I previously said screen resolution. Apple was the strongest when they set up industry standards and I just don't see their reputation as a luxury phone maker would do them good for long as people are shifting towards cheaper phones with similar specs.
I agree. Stereo speakers, 1.5gb RAM, and at least a 10mp camera are all musts. Well... the speakers maybe not, but why not if they are a luxury maker like you said.

Old May 13, 2014, 12:07 AM   #55
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Android is for the masses.

Android is for the enthusiasts.

The crowds don't, but the OS and devices don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Huh what does my sentence have to do with Android.

iPhone is intended for the mass market. This community is intended for a small group of enthusiasts.

When enthusiasts try to use iPhone as a phone made for enthusiasts, they complain and whine on forums.

It really is a device that's meant for the average every day Joe. Simple, easy to use appliance that does what you need it to do.

Lots of people love it. Lots of people don't come here to tell you so because again, this is a forum for enthusiasts.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 12:16 AM   #56
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

iPhone is intended for the mass market. This community is intended for a small group of enthusiasts.

When enthusiasts try to use iPhone as a phone made for enthusiasts, they complain and whine on forums.

It really is a device that's meant for the average every day Joe. Simple, easy to use appliance that does what you need it to do.

Lots of people love it. Lots of people don't come here to tell you so because again, this is a forum for enthusiasts.
That's pretty much on target. Apple does a tremendous job of making a smartphone that does what it needs to for everyday users, has a ton of apps, and iTune support. But IMHO they do still need to keep up (or on top) in the hardware department. Just because users aren't power users doesn't mean they don't want a phone that's high-end. Apple needs to beware of this.

Old May 13, 2014, 12:29 AM   #57
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Nothing. I pointed out that there was actually a competing product on the market that catered to both segments you brought up and that product allowed a mix of enthusiasts, new users, lower-priced options et al.
Old May 13, 2014, 01:05 AM   #58
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I agree. Stereo speakers, 1.5gb RAM, and at least a 10mp camera are all musts. Well... the speakers maybe not, but why not if they are a luxury maker like you said.
Funny thing is, if they stopped being so greedy and put the exact same android flagship specs on their next iPhone, they'd easily best out Samsung even with their gazillion phone refreshes.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 01:52 AM   #59
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Funny thing is, if they stopped being so greedy and put the exact same android flagship specs on their next iPhone, they'd easily best out Samsung even with their gazillion phone refreshes.
a brand name can make magic happens,

not the hardware it seems
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:10 AM   #60
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Profit margins would be less.