Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Default Note 3

Just placed my preorder with Verizon. It looks to be an amazing phone and I cant wait to get my hands on it. First time ever preordering a phone. Ive wanted a note 2, but didnt want to deal with a 720p screen.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:49 AM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Remember to put 3 note 3 together for an eyefinity like gaming setup...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Remember to put 3 note 3 together for an eyefinity like gaming setup...

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So anyone got this phone? How is it? I am thinking about boning it.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Soon.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

I hope its soonish here too. Maybe a few more weeks. Bloody can't wait !

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk now Free
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I thought it came out the 5th? I'm contemplating, but it's not like the HTC One doesn't satisfy everything I have. Probably just wait.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:34 AM   #8
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

I got one a few days ago. It's quite large but it feels good in the hand, no slippage. Build-wise its very light and doesn't feel cheap like my last phone.

The screen is very nice, and the auto-brightness works very well. The colors look accurate and the picture is sharp and crisp.

I havent used the camera much so I can't say how well it works.

Sound-wise its decent, about what you would expect from the phone, there are already some sound mods on the XDA because some people were complaining that it is too quiet. I generally stream via bluetooth in my car and the sound quality is very good thru that.

Network speed wise, everything is quite fast. The wifi supports the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and utilizes my home connection 100% (30Mbps/5Mbps). The LTE in my area is decent, and it ranges between 15-35Mbps.

Phone speed wise, it goes without saying that everything is super fast. With a few application tweaks everything I pull up is snappy and the animations are always smooth. The only downside is all the crap that Samsung installs on the phone. I disabled most of it.

All in all, I am very happy with it.

As far as other features go, like the S-Pen and the hand/eye sensor stuff I haven't really played around with it.

The battery life on this phone is great! Depending on usage, by the time I go to bed, my phone can have anywhere between 50-70% left on it. Thats with leaving bluetooth/GPS/Wifi turned on all the time, as well as streaming bluetooth audio for about 90 minutes, and watched a couple of videos, sent/ received about 8 SMS, browsing the web, and goign through various social media sites.

Some additional thoughts....

- No camera button (I miss it).
- I am T-Mobile, and the bootloader is unlocked, not sure about the other carriers.
- I was able to root using ODIN and got TWRP installed without issue.
- There are already modified/deodexed stock roms out there as well as a custom ROMs being developed (1 already published on XDA).
- The gallery app when I am home initially CRAWLED to the point of the app freezing. Turns out it was trying to sync up with my UPnP/DLNA devices. I disabled that functionality and it seems to work fine now.
- I initially had some issues with the Wi-Fi. I have an Asus RT_n55u router with tomato installed. I had some virtual wifi networks that was making samsung think that my network was unstable (or at least that's what I think caused the problem). I disabled the virtual networks and the problem went away. Seems the issue is not limited to my phone though, but thats what fixed it for me.

Hope this helps!
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:42 AM   #9
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
I got one a few days ago. It's quite large but it feels good in the hand, no slippage. Build-wise its very light and doesn't feel cheap like my last phone.

The screen is very nice, and the auto-brightness works very well. The colors look accurate and the picture is sharp and crisp.

I havent used the camera much so I can't say how well it works.

Sound-wise its decent, about what you would expect from the phone, there are already some sound mods on the XDA because some people were complaining that it is too quiet. I generally stream via bluetooth in my car and the sound quality is very good thru that.

Network speed wise, everything is quite fast. The wifi supports the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and utilizes my home connection 100% (30Mbps/5Mbps). The LTE in my area is decent, and it ranges between 15-35Mbps.

Phone speed wise, it goes without saying that everything is super fast. With a few application tweaks everything I pull up is snappy and the animations are always smooth. The only downside is all the crap that Samsung installs on the phone. I disabled most of it.

All in all, I am very happy with it.

As far as other features go, like the S-Pen and the hand/eye sensor stuff I haven't really played around with it.

The battery life on this phone is great! Depending on usage, by the time I go to bed, my phone can have anywhere between 50-70% left on it. Thats with leaving bluetooth/GPS/Wifi turned on all the time, as well as streaming bluetooth audio for about 90 minutes, and watched a couple of videos, sent/ received about 8 SMS, browsing the web, and goign through various social media sites.

Some additional thoughts....

- No camera button (I miss it).
- I am T-Mobile, and the bootloader is unlocked, not sure about the other carriers.
- I was able to root using ODIN and got TWRP installed without issue.
- There are already modified/deodexed stock roms out there as well as a custom ROMs being developed (1 already published on XDA).
- The gallery app when I am home initially CRAWLED to the point of the app freezing. Turns out it was trying to sync up with my UPnP/DLNA devices. I disabled that functionality and it seems to work fine now.
- I initially had some issues with the Wi-Fi. I have an Asus RT_n55u router with tomato installed. I had some virtual wifi networks that was making samsung think that my network was unstable (or at least that's what I think caused the problem). I disabled the virtual networks and the problem went away. Seems the issue is not limited to my phone though, but thats what fixed it for me.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot Mang. Sounds like my next phone
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:59 AM   #10
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

why not consider a sony ultra z

it is very good
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Woot!!! My note 3 shipped! Should be here either tomorrow or monday
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

_tits got one.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:16 AM   #14
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I'm sure there will be a way to circumvent it eventually.

If they really didn't want people to use custom ROMs, why wasn't the bootloader locked. I've rooted several devices and this phone was the most effortless so far lol.

Also, some more additional info on battery life....

- Sent about 40 text messages
- 2 phone calls (15 minutes)
- 4 episodes of how its made streamed with plex over wifi (~85 minutes)
- 80 minutes of streaming audio over bluetooth
- 15-30 minutes of web-browsing in chrome
- ~20 minutes of social media app usage
- Installed and updated a few apps
- Lots of screen time

Battery lasted almost 36 hours with fairly heavy usage. If only Android OS (4.3) didn't use so much battery, it could've probably lasted longer. I'm still working on that problem.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:58 AM   #15
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

A buddy of mine got one, and we compared it against my note 2...jealous.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

I snagged myself one yesterday myself.

Loving it so far, about 4+ hours of screen-on time. Which coming from any other android phone i've had (Droid 1, ThunderBolt, Galaxy Nexus), this is just amazing!

Granted I gave up my unlimited(I was going to lose it anyways at the end of November, thats when my contract dropped dead), but still get 6gb for $30, so its not horrible.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovster View Post
I snagged myself one yesterday myself.

Loving it so far, about 4+ hours of screen-on time. Which coming from any other android phone i've had (Droid 1, ThunderBolt, Galaxy Nexus), this is just amazing!

Granted I gave up my unlimited(I was going to lose it anyways at the end of November, thats when my contract dropped dead), but still get 6gb for $30, so its not horrible.
You weren't going to lose your unlimited... Your contract expires but your plans don't go away, you don't just lose service. You done messed up.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:10 PM   #18
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You weren't going to lose your unlimited... Your contract expires but your plans don't go away, you don't just lose service. You done messed up.
No, I didn't mess up I'm quite happy not shelling out $600+ just to keep my unlimited, for another what 4-5 months? Its only a matter of time before Verizon will just kill your line if your way beyond your two years. They have the legal RIGHT to do so.

Mainly I gave it up is because that I don't give a flying flip about unlimited data anymore. I have 6gb MORE then enough. My work has 5ghz wifi on AT&T FiOS, my home has wifi, my sisters house has wifi, the GYM has wifi, 80% of restaurants that I'm aware of have wifi.

Last edited by Kovster : Oct 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
why not consider a sony ultra z

it is very good
I've been considering Sony more and more, their latest phone is quite impressive. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is that they don't have any new Sony phones on Verizon. Undoubtedly there is quite the advantage of using AT&T because you just pop in a SIM card and use any phone you want, but alas many of us are on Verizon in the US because they have the most coverage. Verizon also has the most restrictive rules though.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 06:48 AM   #20
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Also I think it doesn't have camera flash. That a very bad move by sony for me
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 02:36 PM   #21
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Thoughts on this versus the HTC One Max?
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Omega53
Rage veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
This destroys the HTC one max
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
One Max doesn't have Snapdragon 800, doesn't have a replaceable battery, has more bezel, and has a subpar camera. Also no S-Pen. It's thicker, longer, wider, and heavier than the Note 3. It's only 7% more screen than the Note 3 yet much bigger. Here's a good rundown:

http://www.gizmag.com/galaxy-note-3-...one-max/29413/

The One Max is a real miss compared to the Note 3.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:19 AM   #24
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

Just browsing on my dad's new note 3, right now. I'm am getting some serious phone envy here. I think I'd be a little hesitant to jump to it from my galaxy s3 as you can't really one hand text with this phone. I'm hearing good things about the battery life. I currently have the extended 3000mah batt for the galaxy... I'm assuming this would be comparable but maybe a bit less with heavy screen usage.
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2013, 07:08 PM   #25
EYE4LYFE
Radeon R600

EYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thumbs up Really Great Device!

I love my Note 3! Upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and after almost two years with that device, the difference is night and day.

Root del la Vega, Xposed Framework, and the Wanam Xposed module are working pretty well together.

I couldn’couldn't be happier!

Rooted, bloatware free:

CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
REACTIVATION LOCK: ON
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0×0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0×0

LUVVITT® CLEARVIEW Hybrid Slim Case/Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (LIFETIME WARRANTY) (Fits like a glove, cutouts line up perfectly!) Reference Shots

AmazonBasics USB Cable - 3.0 A Male to Micro B (9 Feet / 2.7 Meters) (Great quality!)

Battery life is darn right amazing (was in a phone call)! And this is not even being obsessed with deep sleep or locating all rogue, battery killing apps yet.

EYE4LYFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2013, 07:40 PM   #26
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

does this actually fit in your pocket or no? a pic of you holding it in your hand would be nice
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2013, 04:14 AM   #27
Omega53
Rage veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
does this actually fit in your pocket or no? a pic of you holding it in your hand would be nice
Yes. It fits fairly easily. I've had mine for a week and love it.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:48 AM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler582 View Post
Just browsing on my dad's new note 3, right now. I'm am getting some serious phone envy here. I think I'd be a little hesitant to jump to it from my galaxy s3 as you can't really one hand text with this phone. I'm hearing good things about the battery life. I currently have the extended 3000mah batt for the galaxy... I'm assuming this would be comparable but maybe a bit less with heavy screen usage.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34004761

You can one-hand type using this.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:32 PM   #29
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
I'm sure there will be a way to circumvent it eventually.

If they really didn't want people to use custom ROMs, why wasn't the bootloader locked. I've rooted several devices and this phone was the most effortless so far lol.
Don't be so sure. A ton of ROMs have left Samsung side since the GS4, and Note 2 due to this same issue. And it's only going to get worse if Samsung doesn't get off their ass.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2013, 06:56 PM   #30
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Don't be so sure. A ton of ROMs have left Samsung side since the GS4, and Note 2 due to this same issue. And it's only going to get worse if Samsung doesn't get off their ass.
Name 3.