Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 4, 2013, 02:43 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Oh come on...

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...ough-not-great

Relatively mediocre battery performance confirmed.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...-video-samples

Admittedly the camera seems a bit better than the N4, but it's still playing catch-up with the competition (like not even as good as the S4's, which is still not as good as a 1020 or even 5s).

AFAIK, everything should be compared to the 5s and the 1020.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 03:13 PM   #152
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I just browsed the animated GIF thread on this site(my GNex had a hard time with that). The GIFs loaded and played ok, but the phone got hot! Way hotter than the GNex.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 03:18 PM   #153
slick
Radeon Evergreen

slick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyslick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Got the phone, went to the AT&T store and got a sim for it and its activated.

So far, so good. Installed my apps, got my Google services going and now I'm charging her up.

I'll mess with the camera when I get a chance, but I am liking it so far. Hopefully the battery isn't as bad as the reviews suggest. I am not a heavy user so I think I might be okay.

Definitely need a case for it....
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 4, 2013, 03:20 PM   #154
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

That 30% more battery in the 32GB model is starting to make more sense now...

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 03:25 PM   #155
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Wasn't that a rumour?
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 04:07 PM   #156
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Yes, just saying it would've been a reason to buy the more expensive model.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 4, 2013, 04:44 PM   #157
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Mine should be here around Wed. Looking forward to it, hopefully will be a really great phone!
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 06:34 PM   #158
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
Mine should be here around Wed. Looking forward to it, hopefully will be a really great phone!
Same here.

Might have to work from home on Wednesday to get the damn thing considering UPS may deliver it from anytime between 6 AM and 7 PM /facepalm
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 07:10 PM   #159
ultimadrift
Radeon Evergreen

ultimadrift is still being judged by the masses

Awesome mines just shipped!
ultimadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 07:29 PM   #160
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimadrift View Post
Awesome mines just shipped!
Careful, now the NSA know you're shipping mines. Awesome as they may be.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 07:37 PM   #161
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

wtf is this racist ****

Glad for you guys

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 07:45 PM   #162
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
Not strange for a phone that has been sitting in a warehouse or shelf for months. I assumed this thing was almost strait from the assembly line.

[edit] maybe they need to detect the location so they can install the correct NSA sniffing components
They didn't make however many million of them overnight, I'm sure they got a pretty nice head start.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 01:47 AM   #163
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
They use the same battery.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 07:48 AM   #164
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Today will be my full day battery test. I drained it almost completely last night and recharged it overnight as I normally do. Screen brightness set to auto. Already down to 90%

Side note on wireless speeds.

Type-down(Mbps)-up(Mbps)-ping(ms)

Wifi-23.08-0.4-20
HSPA-10.39-2.39-630
LTE-12.37-4.86-32

wifi was Comcast limited. I get the same results wired on my desktop
HSPA was at home 6:05 AM
LTE was in my work parking lot 7:31 AM

T-Mo is the mobile carrier.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:22 AM   #165
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Might we worth checking what is using the most battery.
Recently run into 2 separate battery bugs, on my S3 the mediaserver process or somesuch was eating up most of the battery, this is due to it running into a file it cant process and getting stuck chugging on that, keeping the CPU awake.
Solved that by putting .nomedia files in some folders where it shouldnt be looking (some old DOS games I have on there for ScummVM).

the other was on my tablet when I put in the new Google Launcher to try it out, something was keeping the gpsd process running at all times, disabled location on everything I could find, but in the end it didnt stop until I uninstalled it and went back to my normal launcher.

neither of these might be applicable on 4.4 though, but I guess checking where the battery consumption is can still be a good idea.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:43 AM   #166
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Anyone got the white color yet? I wanted to see some pics. Some say the white color is similar to Apple keyboard white which is a high quality finish
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 09:24 AM   #167
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I am expecting similar results as far as battery goes as my Nexus 4, which is crappy, but I always have access to a charger (in the office, in the car) so it is a bit of a non-issue at this point for me.

However, I am concerned with regards to the camera. One of my gripes was the delay between shots, looks like that remains, but the software update that is promised is supposed to help that - time will tell. The "HDR" mode always-on is probably a good idea as well based on the sample shots, looks like it really brightens things up.

Apocalypsee I ordered a white one, should be in tomorrow or Thursday, will post photos.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:29 AM   #168
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

Just ordered a 'black titanium' back skin for my phone. I think the 'nexus' will pop out nicely. May do the front too, when it is available. I liked the brushed metal look, and gives the phone some character.

www.dbrand.com
Old Nov 5, 2013, 01:38 PM   #169
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Got mine today, rooted it, and it's running like a champ. Now I need to find a Qi wireless charger/cradle for my desk and the truck.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #170
slick
Radeon Evergreen

slick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyslick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Took the phone off the charger at 10am, connected it to my cars Bluetooth, streamed one song via Bluetooth, got to the office 20 minutes later, took a 5 minute phone call. Haven't played with the phone since. Battery is at 97%.
Can't connect it to the WiFi router in my office, its an Asus RT-AC66R. But I get 15-20mb down on LTE so I don't care.
The speaker sucks. Not very loud and when you do turn it up, it distorts. Reminds me of my iPhone, having to cup the bottom of the phone to hear the speaker better.
Overall I like this phone. Great for the price, but not perfect by any means.
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 02:21 PM   #171
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

530$ on ebay...wonder how much will it be on amazon?
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:14 PM   #172
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

Battery update:

10 hours down to 24%

Screen 42%
Google play services 9%
Android OS 8%
Android System 7%
Google Search 6%
WiFi 5%

GNex was better.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:22 PM   #173
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Battery update:

10 hours down to 24%

Screen 42%
Google play services 9%
Android OS 8%
Android System 7%
Google Search 6%
WiFi 5%

GNex was better.

Screen 42%? Were you showing it off a lot?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:24 PM   #174
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Screen 42%? Were you showing it off a lot?
Well, it sure is purdy. And I did do some navigation with it which leaves the screen on.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:25 PM   #175
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

How much screen on time was that?
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:28 PM   #176
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

5 mins. just to lunch from the office.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:35 PM   #177
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
How much screen on time was that?
Quote:
5 mins. just to lunch from the office.

Umm... well. If you got to 10 hours on 75% of your battery.... over half of that 75% is screen on time... so your screen has been lit up for a tick over 5 hours today. I'd say you were using it more today then the phone you had last week. I'd bet your battery performance is better in a couple weeks.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:58 PM   #178
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Umm... well. If you got to 10 hours on 75% of your battery.... over half of that 75% is screen on time... so your screen has been lit up for a tick over 5 hours today.
Not quite correct. Battery stats show percentage of battery drain. Actual screen time (in hours/minutes) can be seen by tapping on its field. AKA his phone used 75% of the battery in 10 hours, 42% of that battery capacity went to power the screen. We don't know for sure how much time the screen was actually powered on though. I doubt it's only 5 minutes because if it was, that would be HORRIBLE battery performance for a non OLED screen.

I suspect it's more like 1.5hrs of screen on time.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 5, 2013, 06:03 PM   #179
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

Quote:
I suspect it's more like 1.5hrs of screen on time.
Closer to ~3hrs Screen time on.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 06:38 PM   #180
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So yah, how's the actual phone?

Mine get's here tomorrow.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote