Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:25 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
You can turn this off in the Settings under Control Center I believe.
I'll check it out, thanks.

Quote:
No problem on the iPad 4 but it has a faster processor, so maybe that it's. Sucky that Apple QA missed that, though.
My buddy has the same issue, but others don't. I type reasonably fast for an older guy so it's really noticeable.

Quote:
Weird. All my apps show up fine and no problems with my camera settings. I like the panorama mode, even though I already had an app that did that. Now I can toss the app.

I'd love to be able to customize the look of the icons, especially the group boxes, but meh...Apple has never been one to allow users to customize much. I'm still planning on upgrading to a Samsung Note 3 when I become eligible in December. I can't stand typing on the iPhone keyboard. I hit the wrong letter probably 25% of the time.

I wonder if my app issue is tied to the servers being hammered? Dunno, but like I said, minor annoyances, not much to worry about. I'll look into customizations too. It's Apple, so i never bothered looking.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:58 AM   #182
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Jeez. These icons are all over the place and no consistency. If I got to Google's own apps, their app design is consistent. If I go to Yahoo's home page, their icons are consistent. Apple's, not so much.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:34 PM   #183
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

http://www.starkinsider.com/2013/09/...on-review.html

Quote:
“It appears to have been designed by a lunatic, and then hit with an axe.”

Forget The Verge, forget CNET and forget Gizmodo.

When it comes to iOS 7 that quote, by none other than Top Gear’s Jeremy Clarkson, just about says all you need to know about Apple’s brand-spanking new, “modern” operating system that powers iPads and iPhones.

I saved that quote, which was made in reference to the TVR Sagaris, months ago–on a Post-it note. I wasn’t sure why. But it made me laugh every time I saw it. For best effect you have it deliver it in your mind with Clarkson’s affectionate, sarcastic British accent and style: lunatic! an axe!

There’s other, equally, and decidedly more American ways, to describe iOS 7:

Bloody mess.

Dog’s breakfast.

An affront to designers everywhere.

Helvetica? Hello?

Take your pick. This has got to be one of the most disturbing design mash-ups to ever make it to a shipping product–one that received a stamp of approval from Jony Ive, a design legend.

I don’t recall ever seeing such a completely whacked out, kindergarten-inspired jambalaya. It’s as if iOS 7 had the hands of a hundred designers at its throat, evidently all working in opposite directions. Inconsistencies reign supreme. The Game Center icon is abstract. But the Camera icon is painstakingly literal. Check out the new passcode screen and, trust me, you’ll shake your head in disbelief. Oh, and sometimes the virtual keyboard has a white background (most of the time), and occasionally (and apparently randomly) it’s black. Crying, optional.

Before you jump all over me, remember this: the iPad Mini is my favorite tablet of all time. I’ve come to really appreciate–at times adore even–the Surface Pro, but it’s simply too clunky (and battery life is a show stopper). Android tablets are quite respectable (Nexus 7), and amazing bargains. But the Mini gets it right — it’s the right size, the right battery life, the right apps.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:40 PM   #184
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Absolutely revolutionary, the biggest step forward in mobile OS' that I've personally seen in my lifetime. Apple really hit it out of the park here. Everything from the interface, to accessing settings is super intuitive. And Siri has been given unprecidented upgrades and can now even handle things like screen brightness. I am absolutely blown away. It took a good product and made it absolutely outstanding.

EDIT: damnit, you got me lol

Sadly, my iPod Touch was discontinued, so I'll stick with my untethered iOS6.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:47 PM   #185
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Absolutely revolutionary, the biggest step forward in mobile OS' that I've personally seen in my lifetime. Apple really hit it out of the park here. Everything from the interface, to accessing settings is super intuitive. And Siri has been given unprecidented upgrades and can now even handle things like screen brightness. I am absolutely blown away. It took a good product and made it absolutely outstanding.

Ugh, well no one expected any different from huge Apple fan. It's not revolutionary, they have features from other OSes. If you like it's candy land design, that's fine, it'll hit different chords with different people, but it's not revolutionary. Those unprecedented ugprades you're talking about are licensed features from other companies, one of which being Microsoft's Bing.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM   #186
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Ugh, well no one expected any different from huge Apple fan. It's not revolutionary, they have features from other OSes. If you like it's candy land design, that's fine, it'll hit different chords with different people, but it's not revolutionary. Those unprecedented ugprades you're talking about are licensed features from other companies, one of which being Microsoft's Bing.
Should read the original post a little closer.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM   #187
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
You got trolled
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM   #188
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Quote:
lol, yeah I haven't even updated it yet. Waiting to see if it proves stable. Y'all are my Guinna Pigs...

It's ok, he got me too.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:54 PM   #189
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
Should read the original post a little closer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You got trolled
What's funny, is Elysian, you got me too.... I didn't get the pic reference... I was thinking... a dude playing a dude playing another dude....
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:55 PM   #190
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
What's funny, is Elysian, you got me too.... I didn't get the pic reference... I was thinking... a dude playing a dude playing another dude....
You never go full retard
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:20 PM   #191
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Anyone running this on their 4(non-s)?
Yes.

My advice would be, don't upgrade.

It is retardedly slow.

Sure, it works, but it's just not worth it. Had Apple not pushed those animations on the 4, it may be decent, but right now, it is just being bogged down. Even just hitting the home button to fire up the screen for first use takes much longer than before.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:22 PM   #192
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
So how will Android respond? They seriously need to step up their design game now and create an "official Android look". iOS 7 seems to be the look for the apps, Windows 8 has their look, as well.
Apple copied a bunch of Android stuff, including flattening the UI and various visual flourishes all around, including the trays... so now Android has to "step up"

Yah, sounds about right.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:47 PM   #193
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Apple copied a bunch of Android stuff, including flattening the UI and various visual flourishes all around, including the trays... so now Android has to "step up"

Yah, sounds about right.
well once Apple does a thing it is new and refreshing and they will sue all the other companies that have been doing the same for years and get away with it some how
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:11 PM   #194
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well eventually all of us will have to update, so there isn't any fighting the changes. I'm going to wait like I said until the bugs are out, but based on what I've seen it doesn't look too different.

My main question is this: How does it effect battery life???

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:25 PM   #195
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

angry gf is still angry
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:44 PM   #196
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Well eventually all of us will have to update, so there isn't any fighting the changes. I'm going to wait like I said until the bugs are out, but based on what I've seen it doesn't look too different.

Quote:

How to fix battery life issues with iOS 7

1. Stop using it so much!

2. Plug it in!
http://www.imore.com/how-fix-battery-life-issues-ios-7

Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:44 PM   #197
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

Can't say on the newer devices, but older devices are seeing worse battery life.

Given the additional GPU usage with all the ridiculous and long-playing animations, I am sure battery life is going to be less than iOS 6.x

WP8 had some useless animations in places on the OS, the first update resolved that. Hoping the same is true for Apple because while it is well and good to mask load-times, it is incredibly annoying to have all those ridiculous fly-outs and fade-ins. I know some people like them, but I disable that b.s. if given a chance.

I believe 5 and newer iPhones will see some speed benefits in the browser and so forth. Older devices, such as the 4, are seeing slowdowns of a second or so per benchmarks in many tasks. I use mine primarily as a remote and to check for some basic things at home and it has gone from being a laggy device under iOS 6 to being a stuttering POS thanks to the "upgrade".

I like some of the tweaks, they were great in WP8, Android, and Palm OS so it was expected they would work in iOS 7. It definitely adds functionality that previously did not exist. But it is clearly a work in progress.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:51 PM   #198
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
updated the 4s definitely feels seem a little slower for things to open
Yeah, I also have a 4s... Don't think I'll be upgrading to iOS 7.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:55 PM   #199
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
updated the 4s definitely feels seem a little slower for things to open
come on microsoft show us the lumia 1520

i think i'll pass on ios7 on the ipad 2 for now
This is most likely due to it caching stuff / re-indexing. I'm using it on my phone 4, it's not bad, I agree a bit slower but smoothed out after a few hours of resting.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:03 PM   #200
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AAAANNNNNNDDD.... the lock screen bypass security flaw is back. Well done Apple, well done.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-bug/
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:14 PM   #201
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
This is most likely due to it caching stuff / re-indexing. I'm using it on my phone 4, it's not bad, I agree a bit slower but smoothed out after a few hours of resting.
You clearly have the patience of a saint, or an 80 year old.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #202
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

Pretty sure you don't HAVE to upgrade. My girlfriend's 4S was still on the version prior to Apple Maps launching until she finally upgraded today to 7.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:39 PM   #203
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
AAAANNNNNNDDD.... the lock screen bypass security flaw is back. Well done Apple, well done.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-bug/
Every time I see bugs like this all I can think of is that person has way too much time on their hands.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:59 PM   #204
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
Every time I see bugs like this all I can think of is that person has way too much time on their hands.
A little bit.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:05 PM   #205
Lazy8s
One day at a time

No updates for wife, all 3 daughters and several coworkers.

Wish I had not updated my ipad - feels broken now. Must be time to sell it.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:07 PM   #206
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Just because you're leading doesn't mean you remain the stagnant. That's how Nokia and Blackberry got themselves in trouble. Besides, we already know Google is going with a flat design scheme soon. We just don't know if it'll be in 4.4 KitKat or 5.0.
everyones going flat.
Theres leaked images of Samsung's 'tizen' that looks almost like an exact ripoff of the windows 8 UI.
I think HTC or some other company had a flat theme in the works too...or it was HTC sense that looks similar to windows 8 I cant remember.

I thought Android sort of 'unified' their design in one of their previous updates?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:38 PM   #207
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
No updates for wife, all 3 daughters and several coworkers.

Wish I had not updated my ipad - feels broken now. Must be time to sell it.
To Microsoft
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:06 PM   #208
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Showed the new OS to my wife. She said it sucks.

/thread
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:28 PM   #209
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

/thread
ios 7 calculator sucks too
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:47 PM   #210
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

/thread
If women were good gauges on what is good tech we'd all be screwed though. Give her a week with it and ask again.