Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 27, 2013, 06:43 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
You can fault Apple for a lot, but their design overall has always been tops. Whatever they do to the OS from a design aspect will probably be very solid. What you guys are NOT asking is the big question... what about features, and performance? I'd like to see Siri expanded and improved upon.
Siri did a lot of great things before Apple bought the company. It still does a lot of decent stuff, but a lot of the great stuff on the back end was never developed upon (there is a nice thread on R3D about that topic).

How many years do you wait for the OS to be updated? A year? Two years? Three? How long before it becomes blatantly apparent that the innovation has died.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 06:45 PM   #32
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You can fault Apple for a lot, but their design overall has always been tops. Whatever they do to the OS from a design aspect will probably be very solid. What you guys are NOT asking is the big question... what about features, and performance? I'd like to see Siri expanded and improved upon.
I never use it. Played with it for one night asking it questions like "What is the meaning of life?"

What I would like to see is the ability to add other types of information to the lock screen ... have them get rid of Game Center ... fix up the Settings app.

As for the need to see the temperature when the phone is unlocked, slide down the notification bar from the top. Local weather is right there. There's laziness, then there is "put it all on my screen because I couldn't be bothered to start an app."

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #33
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Siri did a lot of great things before Apple bought the company. It still does a lot of decent stuff, but a lot of the great stuff on the back end was never developed upon (there is a nice thread on R3D about that topic).

How many years do you wait for the OS to be updated? A year? Two years? Three? How long before it becomes blatantly apparent that the innovation has died.
W-T-F

You know, people have that attitude where they would be all over Apple if they slapped every innovation they can think of only to turn around and complain "they're overloading their system with crap. It sucks. They don't know when to stop. It's clear the market doesn't want innovation, they want stability." It's very Republican, actually. Instantly being opposed to All Things D.

This is also an obvious example of people speaking well above their pay grade. This is a company that is sitting on $137 billion of RETAINED EARNINGS being told by armchair quarterbacks on the Internet what this company needs to do or else DOOM!!!

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 27, 2013, 07:01 PM   #34
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I completely agree.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 07:31 PM   #35
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
W-T-F

You know, people have that attitude where they would be all over Apple if they slapped every innovation they can think of only to turn around and complain "they're overloading their system with crap. It sucks. They don't know when to stop. It's clear the market doesn't want innovation, they want stability." It's very Republican, actually. Instantly being opposed to All Things D.

This is also an obvious example of people speaking well above their pay grade. This is a company that is sitting on $137 billion of RETAINED EARNINGS being told by armchair quarterbacks on the Internet what this company needs to do or else DOOM!!!
They aren't sitting on $137 billion of anything. They will be returning about $100 billion to shareholders. Share prices sagging, executives pay tied to stock performance to a degree, boom, $100 billion payout.

Also, has nothing to do with their deficiencies in the OS and UI department for iOS.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:34 PM   #36
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I never use it. Played with it for one night asking it questions like "What is the meaning of life?"

What I would like to see is the ability to add other types of information to the lock screen ... have them get rid of Game Center ... fix up the Settings app.

As for the need to see the temperature when the phone is unlocked, slide down the notification bar from the top. Local weather is right there. There's laziness, then there is "put it all on my screen because I couldn't be bothered to start an app."

Laziness? What damn good is the OS besides being an App Launcher if you want apps to be opened for every single thing?

As you can see from my screen-shot, I have a 3'rd party app on my iPhone that displays the current temperature. It saves me from launching yet another application to see something which I should be able to see at a glance. But I can't see what my Nest is doing. I have to open the app in order to see that.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:26 PM   #37
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

IOS is what made me switch from Apple to Samsung. That OS is the most redundant, closed piece of crap I've had the displeasure of using.

Sure it was good back when the original iPhone came out, but compared to the current Android OS it's a laughing stock.

If they fix IOS I may take a 2nd look at their next gen phone, otherwise Android pretty much does everything I want, and it certainly does a lot of thigns!

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 09:21 PM   #38
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Give me Android on an iPhone and I'd buy one. Though it'd need a back button. Apple's OS's are the reason I don't buy Apple ANYTHING. They are not good at OS's.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 09:43 PM   #39
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I am already invested in android apps. It will be difficult to get me to switch. No matter how much os7 razzle-dazzles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 10:03 PM   #40
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I am already invested in android apps. It will be difficult to get me to switch. No matter how much os7 razzle-dazzles.
Funny thing, that's exactly the reason I've decided to wait for iPhone 5S.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 10:50 PM   #41
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've owned three Android devices, and one iOS. I prefer the iOS hands down. It just does what it's supposed to, and I don't need to constantly be fussing. Android always felt like it "wasn't quite right." More free apps, maybe... but at the end of the day it's a phone, not a laptop.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old May 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #42
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
performance is fine, features...well if it actually had any new features.....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 11:03 PM   #43
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
I've owned three Android devices, and one iOS. I prefer the iOS hands down. It just does what it's supposed to, and I don't need to constantly be fussing. Android always felt like it "wasn't quite right." More free apps, maybe... but at the end of the day it's a phone, not a laptop.
Your 3 Android phones weren't even close to what's available now. They weren't even the best phones out when you had them, they were behind. Your experience with Android is extremely limited, especially considering you inexplicably stuck to Motorola the entire time.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:43 PM   #44
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Apple has better *everything*.

They have better design (or else Samsung wouldn't have slavishly copied it) than anyone else, which can be attested to the fact other handset manufacturers can't push volume, and when they can, it's a repackaged phone from last year with a new CPU and new name. And quite often, a version of Android from two years ago.
Really, the S4 looks like an iPhone? Oh right, those damn rounded edges...

Besides, it has the latest Android version (4.2.2 Jelly Bean) and sold 10 million units in the first month. Of course, that depends on your definition of "volume"...

Quote:
Noticed that Google didn't announce a new version of Android for 2013 at their last conference? They can't get developers; 90%+ comes out on iOS first and ported to Android. That's excluding wallpaper and ringtone apps, of course.
That's because it is a developer's conference. Why would they announce a new OS at a conference intended to present developer advancements?

However, when you're competing against essentially a six year old OS, you don't need many advancements to maintain the edge.

Last edited by ViN86 : May 28, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 01:17 AM   #45
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Your 3 Android phones weren't even close to what's available now. They weren't even the best phones out when you had them, they were behind. Your experience with Android is extremely limited, especially considering you inexplicably stuck to Motorola the entire time.
You're part right, the current phones are better, and they were all Motorola... but I had a Droid Razr on day one, and a Droid 4 within a week of it's launch. So in the last year I haven't owned a high end Android, but from what I knew back then my current iPhone 5 is a huge improvement.

I have messed with an S3 extensively, I'd like to note. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't say that even that wasn't much of a step up from the essential Android experience I had with the Razr. Faster, but still fussy.

What it came down to with me is I needed a phone that wasn't fussy, and Apple has delivered on that so far.

Old May 28, 2013, 05:34 AM   #46
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Give me Android on an iPhone and I'd buy one. Though it'd need a back button. Apple's OS's are the reason I don't buy Apple ANYTHING. They are not good at OS's.
Troll post much?
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 05:59 AM   #47
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
Troll post much?
No, that's what your post is.
Old May 28, 2013, 06:09 AM   #48
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
No, that's what your post is.
What the truth? you just posted absolute rubbish.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 06:20 AM   #49
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
What the truth? you just posted absolute rubbish.
Nope.
Old May 28, 2013, 08:36 AM   #50
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
You're part right, the current phones are better, and they were all Motorola... but I had a Droid Razr on day one, and a Droid 4 within a week of it's launch. So in the last year I haven't owned a high end Android, but from what I knew back then my current iPhone 5 is a huge improvement.

I have messed with an S3 extensively, I'd like to note. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't say that even that wasn't much of a step up from the essential Android experience I had with the Razr. Faster, but still fussy.

What it came down to with me is I needed a phone that wasn't fussy, and Apple has delivered on that so far.
Fussy?

Please elaborate.
Old May 28, 2013, 09:19 AM   #51
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
iOS hasn't been relevant for probably 2-3 years.
You always make me laugh Sazar.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #52
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
iOS is definitely the simplest OS experience out there, that's for sure.

The question at the end of the day is, is a simple experience better than one which allows you to do so much more?

iOS works for a great many people. Android too. Nothing is inherently "wrong" per-se, but the lack of innovation is grating.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:49 AM   #53
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Here it comes... he's starting to prepare himself that it could be tile like and he's backing off. Love it. Tiles will be okay because their features are "better". I can see it....

If iOS gets a huge revamp, I could see myself going back to it but it's got to be massive. Not sure even that if that'll be possible though without it getting a bit bigger, like 4.3".
Old May 28, 2013, 11:08 AM   #54
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Here it comes... he's starting to prepare himself that it could be tile like and he's backing off. Love it. Tiles will be okay because their features are "better". I can see it....

If iOS gets a huge revamp, I could see myself going back to it but it's got to be massive. Not sure even that if that'll be possible though without it getting a bit bigger, like 4.3".
Without widgets, improved navigation within the OS and simple things like a back button, not happening for me.

iOS is just too damn archaic if you want to do anything but launch applications. And I can do that perfectly well on pretty much any other device.
Old May 28, 2013, 03:19 PM   #55
RicH(SAD)
Radeon Northern Islands

RicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete stranger

iOS is absolutely horrible, especially in a business environment. The phones are a pain in the ass to setup, calendar sync with Exchange still doesn't work properly and frankly the device looks and feel like a toy. How the hell is a grown man supposed to use the keyboard on that screen tiny screen anyway?

I must have deployed 30+ iPhones and BlackBerry Z10/Q10s over the past few weeks and I can tell you that the new BB's are definitely the more liked device.
RicH(SAD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 03:28 PM   #56
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH(SAD) View Post
I must have deployed 30+ iPhones and BlackBerry Z10/Q10s over the past few weeks and I can tell you that the new BB's are definitely the more liked device.
Wow.

</days>

Old May 28, 2013, 04:18 PM   #57
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Hilarious. You guys should interview for Apple. I interviewed for Apple, didn't get the job. Worked for Google instead.

Quit your arm chair comments, and start working
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 04:26 PM   #58
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Hilarious. You guys should interview for Apple. I interviewed for Apple, didn't get the job. Worked for Google instead.

Quit your arm chair comments, and start working
Hey, you're right, none of us have jobs

And none of us work in a Fortune 100 company, or have any idea about marketing, merchandising, UI, or any other items.

Tell us more about how awesome you are and how much everyone else sucks for not having a job vvanks.

Old May 28, 2013, 04:34 PM   #59
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
iOS is definitely the simplest OS experience out there, that's for sure.
Sometimes that's enough.

Old May 28, 2013, 04:52 PM   #60
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

Quote:
Hey, you're right, none of us have jobs

And none of us work in a Fortune 100 company, or have any idea about marketing, merchandising, UI, or any other items.

Tell us more about how awesome you are and how much everyone else sucks for not having a job vvanks.

What is this job you speak of and why do I need one...