Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:15 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada Montreal
Posts: 1,692
Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses


Default

Well after seeing the presentation and some quick reviews I like this phone. More in-depth reviews and some hands on approach is needed for me though before I can make a final decision but over all it seems to be a solid smartphone with all the latest bells and whistles.

Pros compared to my S2

1) much bigger super amoled screen with 1920 x 1080 res
2) Faster processor quad core snap dragon or the exynos octo
3) 2gb ram and up to 64gb internal storage
4) Better Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac
5) 13mp camera with many more shooting options
6) More Sensors ( IR Gesture, temp and Hum)
7) Better battery 2600mAh compared to my 1650
8) It also looks a lot better than my S2
9) Improved Touch Wiz and Jelly bean 4.2.2 (Yes I like TW)
10) NFC
11) Wireless charging capability
12) Gorila glass 3

Cons

Don't see any atm

Questions

1) Does it have an FM receiver?
2) Which processor will us Canadians be getting?
3) How much will it cost?
4) Is the sound chip any better than what I have on my S2 and is the speaker adequate?

Last edited by Spyhawk : Mar 15, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:34 AM   #182
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Malaysia Malaysia
Posts: 3,488
Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Doesn't say, but at 441ppi can you tell? I can't even with my GS3.
I agree with you. On my old Razr it is very noticeable especially reading text on the web because of low qHD resolution, on my girlfriend S3 I'm quite surprised that it's barely noticeable even when I looked really close to it and I am one of the biggest hater of pentile display. I doubt you can notice anything at all on 5" FullHD resolution. I gotta say Pentile matrix is OK with high PPI display. I kinda miss the deep black and oversaturated colors on superAMOLED screen, games look gorgeous with it (I'm not being sarcastic, games do look great with it)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.

Last edited by Apocalypsee : Mar 15, 2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: someone likes penile apparently :P
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:10 AM   #183
Zero
Sass hole
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 38,815
Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
it's barely noticeable even when I looked really close to it and I am one of the biggest hater of penile display.
__________________
"Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:05 AM   #184
Ego
I can't take this
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Romania Bucharest
Posts: 4,456
Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

I guess that just as a lot of people make their buying decision based on factors like removable battery or microSD slot, I also my buy my phones based on how they feel in the hand, among other things obviously.
So with this in mind, I guess I'll never buy a Samsung phone.
I have a real beef with paying 600 euros for a premium device which doesn't feel premium. Apple phones feel premium, HTC phones same story, Sony phones, same, Motorola...quality devices.
This looks like toy for my kid, designed by committee, approved by lawyers, and styled by a blind man.
And yes, I did hold an S3, and it felt cheap compared to my HTC One X, which is a WORSE phone than what Samsung has done, but I wouldn't replace it with an S3 or S4 ever.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:09 AM   #185
Zoolok
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Serbia Vojvodina
Posts: 3,560
Zoolok is still being judged by the masses


Default

This is yet another Android phone. *yawn*

If I had to buy an Android, I'd go with the HTC One (it looks amazing), or the Nexus 4. From my experience with Samsung phones, they all feel cheap and, as Ego said, like toys.

Nothing beats my Lumia 920 yet, though
__________________
All dogs go to Heaven.
Zoolok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:54 AM   #186
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Australia @ Home
Posts: 3,935
FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

Ill pass myself. If I had to get an Android Phone it would be the HTC or Nexus. Touchwiz is crap.

But the specs are nice, but specs dont make the phone.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:07 AM   #187
ZaP911
Come again?!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jordan Amman
Posts: 775
ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyhawk View Post
Is the sound chip any better than what I have on my S2
According to an XDA dev:
"So AT&T #GalaxySIV uses @Qualcomm audio solution, and its Audioflinger is configured to upsample everything at 48kHz. Not good."

Not sure about the International one though. It'll probably use a Wolfson DAC just like the S3, which is good.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:31 AM   #188
Xiro
Oo
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: United States NH
Posts: 3,356
Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

So I just got a chance to check out the S4 (busy day). Looks like a nice refresh of the S3 with added goodies. Will I dump my S3 and grab one? No. The S3 is a great phone and will keep me happy till next year. S3 "build quality" feels fine to me, hell my phone is in a case 99% of the time so it doesn't really matter. I personally like Samsungs "gimmicks", least they are trying. Are all of them amazing? No, but a bunch of them are quite useful.
I'm still a huge Motorola fan (loved my Droid X) and look forward to what they might produce next year when I'm looking for a new phone.
HTC one looks like a great phone, but it's HTC. And I still don't understand why the Nexus 4 is so popular, phone does nothing for me.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:16 AM   #189
Xiro
Oo
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: United States NH
Posts: 3,356
Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

I will say that the "unveiling show" was god f**king aweful. Who ever thought it was a good idea should be slapped. Much like certain movies that get made you have to wonder why didn't anyone say to them "what you have planned is stupid, don't do it".
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:32 AM   #190
ice
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: United States PA
Posts: 26,150
ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges


Default

It's really annoying reading all these comparisons on sites AFTER the unveiling and having them still say the S4 uses the Octocore CPU. They don't even make mention that the US version gets the quadcore, they're reporting it as if they all have the same CPU.
__________________

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise


360 games



Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:01 AM   #191
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: China NYC
Posts: 8,317
nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

No octcore = no buy for me. Touchwiz has nice features, but I can't be bothered to use them. If anything samsung will make the octcore into the note3. Will buy that one instead, for now HTC one it will be. Using the quad core makes the phone the same as the htc one. Materials used vs s features. HTc screen vs samsung 1080p I will take the htcs implementation instead. The overly saturated colors aren't bad just a bit too much for me.
__________________
Under construction


nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:15 AM   #192
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
I guess that just as a lot of people make their buying decision based on factors like removable battery or microSD slot, I also my buy my phones based on how they feel in the hand, among other things obviously.
So with this in mind, I guess I'll never buy a Samsung phone.
I have a real beef with paying 600 euros for a premium device which doesn't feel premium. Apple phones feel premium, HTC phones same story, Sony phones, same, Motorola...quality devices.
This looks like toy for my kid, designed by committee, approved by lawyers, and styled by a blind man.
And yes, I did hold an S3, and it felt cheap compared to my HTC One X, which is a WORSE phone than what Samsung has done, but I wouldn't replace it with an S3 or S4 ever.
Do you use phone cases?

And I thought the One X was pretty much like the GS3, and in fact was better in some regards (and worse in others), so it was definitely trading punches.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:20 AM   #193
Elysian
SCAATSJW
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 48,211
Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
Ill pass myself. If I had to get an Android Phone it would be the HTC or Nexus. Touchwiz is crap.

But the specs are nice, but specs dont make the phone.
So you've used the most recent Touchwiz to know this?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
You guys are closet communists.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:23 AM   #194
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,664
AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
it's barely noticeable even when I looked really close to it and I am one of the biggest hater of penile display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post

__________________
"I've been known to give myself a broner.""
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:14 AM   #195
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Malaysia Malaysia
Posts: 3,488
Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers


Default

Ah bloody hell typos
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:14 AM   #196
Elysian
SCAATSJW
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 48,211
Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
So I just got a chance to check out the S4 (busy day). Looks like a nice refresh of the S3 with added goodies. Will I dump my S3 and grab one? No. The S3 is a great phone and will keep me happy till next year. S3 "build quality" feels fine to me, hell my phone is in a case 99% of the time so it doesn't really matter. I personally like Samsungs "gimmicks", least they are trying. Are all of them amazing? No, but a bunch of them are quite useful.
I'm still a huge Motorola fan (loved my Droid X) and look forward to what they might produce next year when I'm looking for a new phone.
HTC one looks like a great phone, but it's HTC. And I still don't understand why the Nexus 4 is so popular, phone does nothing for me.
I don't know what my GS3 feels like. It's in a really nice feeling case.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
You guys are closet communists.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:24 AM   #197
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,664
AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

For those of us with Lumia 920's... just a physical comparison and such. I think myself, Sazar and actually a number of others.


__________________
"I've been known to give myself a broner.""
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:34 AM   #198
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
For those of us with Lumia 920's... just a physical comparison and such. I think myself, Sazar and actually a number of others.


Yah, the WP Central topic on this was quite interesting yesterday. Basically a number of people calling for Microsoft to step up the updates and refinement.

Honestly speaking, WP8 is fantastic for what it is. The OS is smooth, has fantastic features and easily leads the competition in a number of ways. Plus the Lumia 920 is a great device in many respects. The screen is fantastic (it looks like the screen is on auto-dim or lower brightness settings in the video), the camera is great and the speakers work very well too.

The issue is, ecosystem development. Nokia and HTC can't be the only ones pushing the envelope (face it, it really is Nokia doing most of the work). Microsoft needs to figure out what it wants to do with the convergence.

Samsung looks to have fired a shot @ google with this latest release, adding more Samsung DNA, borrowing stuff from everywhere and making a product that is a solid offering, but is also clearly moving away from the core Android experience.

I prefer the core experience to the TW experience, but there is no denying that a large number of people out there REALLY like the GS ecosystem.

Going back to the Nokia, it is a fantastic phone, I still have a feeling of "newness" and "freshness" every time I use it. I always lost it within a couple of weeks with my iPhones. I find that same freshness and newness with Android devices
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:46 AM   #199
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: United States Houston, TX
Posts: 24,125
Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound


Default

Touchwiz is nothing close to the Android experience at this point.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:14 AM   #200
Elysian
SCAATSJW
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 48,211
Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Touchwiz is nothing close to the Android experience at this point.
That doesn't make it bad. You should know, you use iOS, which is way behind the stock Android experience
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
You guys are closet communists.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:43 AM   #201
Zero
Sass hole
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 38,815
Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Touchwiz is nothing close to the Android experience at this point.


You can mostly disable touchjizz features. Outside of cosmetic differences, it's not very different from any android phone.
__________________
"Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:54 AM   #202
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Canada Cowtown
Posts: 25,528
Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges


Default

I think we need to get to 16 core CPU's....

I want my phone to be an AutoCAD workstation....
__________________
------The Squachbox------
Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad Blue 750watt PSU
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:58 AM   #203
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Canada Cowtown
Posts: 25,528
Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Yah, the WP Central topic on this was quite interesting yesterday. Basically a number of people calling for Microsoft to step up the updates and refinement.

Honestly speaking, WP8 is fantastic for what it is. The OS is smooth, has fantastic features and easily leads the competition in a number of ways. Plus the Lumia 920 is a great device in many respects. The screen is fantastic (it looks like the screen is on auto-dim or lower brightness settings in the video), the camera is great and the speakers work very well too.

The issue is, ecosystem development. Nokia and HTC can't be the only ones pushing the envelope (face it, it really is Nokia doing most of the work). Microsoft needs to figure out what it wants to do with the convergence.

Samsung looks to have fired a shot @ google with this latest release, adding more Samsung DNA, borrowing stuff from everywhere and making a product that is a solid offering, but is also clearly moving away from the core Android experience.

I prefer the core experience to the TW experience, but there is no denying that a large number of people out there REALLY like the GS ecosystem.

Going back to the Nokia, it is a fantastic phone, I still have a feeling of "newness" and "freshness" every time I use it. I always lost it within a couple of weeks with my iPhones. I find that same freshness and newness with Android devices
Ive been wanting MS to step up on their refinement and updates for along time now....
They release their hardware on 'just about to expire' specced components and not the 'just about to be released' components...
That = instant outdatedness.

They're slow as utter **** getting their featuresets up to par.

Theres been no signs of app development.

I like WP but its hard to continue to support them when they don't seem to want to push themselves out of their 'we are content with where we're at' zone.
__________________
------The Squachbox------
Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad Blue 750watt PSU
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:07 AM   #204
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Ive been wanting MS to step up on their refinement and updates for along time now....
They release their hardware on 'just about to expire' specced components and not the 'just about to be released' components...
That = instant outdatedness.

They're slow as utter **** getting their featuresets up to par.

Theres been no signs of app development.

I like WP but its hard to continue to support them when they don't seem to want to push themselves out of their 'we are content with where we're at' zone.
You don't need the fastest processor as long as the OS works well.

I used to say this back when the iPhone was still smooth and Android was all laggy (prior to 4.x.x).

The OS is extremely refined and there is a LOT of stuff that can be done. It just isn't being pushed at the moment.

There are rumors of a bunch of investment in Windows Blue/9, and releases saying all WP8 devices will have an upgrade path to 9 (which is good ) but I really want to see things like the notification center and other items sooner rather than later.

Apps like Chronos Calendar, the Nokia apps, Photosynth and others show what is possible. It's just a matter of taking it to the next level
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #205
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Canada Cowtown
Posts: 25,528
Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
You don't need the fastest processor as long as the OS works well.

I used to say this back when the iPhone was still smooth and Android was all laggy (prior to 4.x.x).

The OS is extremely refined and there is a LOT of stuff that can be done. It just isn't being pushed at the moment.

There are rumors of a bunch of investment in Windows Blue/9, and releases saying all WP8 devices will have an upgrade path to 9 (which is good ) but I really want to see things like the notification center and other items sooner rather than later.

Apps like Chronos Calendar, the Nokia apps, Photosynth and others show what is possible. It's just a matter of taking it to the next level
of course you don't need the fastest, but specs is what people look at and that's how you draw them in.
OMG ITS GOT QUADRA CORES!! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? IT MEANS ITS SO FAST YOUR MIND = BLOWN!!! BUY THIS FONE CUZ ITS GOT 4 MORE CORES THAN EVERYONE ELSE!!!

When it comes to the S4, the international/NA variants are again suffering from different chipset syndrome. Technically the international with the Exynos will be more powerful but that doesn't mean the S4 in the S4 is no slouch. Plus unless you benchmark your phone constantly you're not going to notice a difference.
__________________
------The Squachbox------
Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad Blue 750watt PSU
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:39 AM   #206
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
of course you don't need the fastest, but specs is what people look at and that's how you draw them in.
OMG ITS GOT QUADRA CORES!! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? IT MEANS ITS SO FAST YOUR MIND = BLOWN!!! BUY THIS FONE CUZ ITS GOT 4 MORE CORES THAN EVERYONE ELSE!!!
Specs only matter when there is a device that is severely lacking a feature.

I had issues with Apple's head in the sand approach regarding widgets, LTE, app management and a few other things, but performance of the device wasn't really a concern. For the GS4, the specs weren't touted much either. It was primarily features. The primary thing called out was storage (user upgrade-able) and battery (likewise). The rest of the stuff wasn't key and the presentation primarily revolved around real world usage scenarios.

Quote:
When it comes to the S4, the international/NA variants are again suffering from different chipset syndrome. Technically the international with the Exynos will be more powerful but that doesn't mean the S4 in the S4 is no slouch. Plus unless you benchmark your phone constantly you're not going to notice a difference.
I have talked to absolutely 0 people in the real world who have cared about the procs since the dual-core's came to market and overall performance became solid industry wide. You have a good point on the overall performance levels
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:33 PM   #207
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: United States Houston, TX
Posts: 24,125
Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound


Default

Any tests done with the 13MP camera?
I think this is the most important feature in a phone for me. While I like the HTC One over the Samsung 4, the HTC One camera is apparently crap. And that's a damn shame.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #208
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States Austin, TX
Posts: 25,600
Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Any tests done with the 13MP camera?
I think this is the most important feature in a phone for me. While I like the HTC One over the Samsung 4, the HTC One camera is apparently crap. And that's a damn shame.
Is it?

If it was, why didn't you buy a Lumia 920? It has the best camera on the market.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #209
Zero
Sass hole
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada Toronto
Posts: 38,815
Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel


Default

Most important doesn't mean only important.
__________________
"Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:39 PM   #210
Maverick123w
WhoDey
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States Cincinnati
Posts: 1,002
Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Any tests done with the 13MP camera?
I think this is the most important feature in a phone for me. While I like the HTC One over the Samsung 4, the HTC One camera is apparently crap. And that's a damn shame.
I've seen several reports stating the exact opposite.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Explorer 9 expected on March 14th, definitely released by March 24th erek General Software 30 Apr 30, 2011 02:04 PM
Samsung goes format neutral: Samsung BD-UP5000 hybrid HD DVD/BD Standalone tranCendenZ Home Theaters and Photography 12 Apr 13, 2007 06:06 AM
Is Official Playstation magazine {march issue} or Official Xbox {march} out yet? Mrpleeb Console Gaming 0 Feb 14, 2006 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink