Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Is the screen still pentile?
At 1080p it shouldn't really matter.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #152
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Is the screen still pentile?
Yes.

Btw, the camera is better so it's a guaranteed sale to Raz.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:05 PM   #153
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'm sure Apple is working mad overtime now. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned an event by now.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:05 PM   #154
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I honestly don't even ****ing know what pentile is like compared to other things, my Droid X2 looks fine to me I just wondered because it's all anyone ever bitches about.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:06 PM   #155
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I'm sure Apple is working mad overtime now. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned an event by now.
Why? If it's so lackluster they shouldn't have to worry right?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:06 PM   #156
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Yes.

Btw, the camera is better so it's a guaranteed sale to Raz.
I'll wait for the iPhone 5S/iOS 7 announcement, then pit the 3 together. My contract is up in May.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:07 PM   #157
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Why? If it's so lackluster they shouldn't have to worry right?
I guess sarcasm didn't translate well.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:08 PM   #158
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

HTC will eat those words if they don't put some money behind their marketing.
Agreed, that is a dangerous tweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpedkevin View Post
Well, this is definitely replacing my SII at the end of next month. Looks good to me
Most definitely.

I'm seeing some sites already insinuate this is more along the lines of an iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s type update. I don't know, I'm pretty impressed with a tick larger screen, larger battery and beefed up wifi and it still weighs just a tick less! That's impressive to me.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:10 PM   #159
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I honestly don't even ****ing know what pentile is like compared to other things, my Droid X2 looks fine to me I just wondered because it's all anyone ever bitches about.
It is pentile. If you read the engadget link in my post on the previous page, it describes all that stuff. See below:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/s...lly-announced/

I have never had an issue with the GS3 screen but might be a personal preference thing. Currently I prefer the Lumia 920 screen over anything else. Will have to see these new flagships to see what's up
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:10 PM   #160
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Most people use or otherwise to convey sarcasm One word doesn't convey much of anything.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:12 PM   #161
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
You've been trolling the phone this whole thread. And now it's "sarcasm"?

j/k

You made some good points. I think the HTC One seems a better device, apart from a few niggles. But Samsung have done a good job with this device.

I didn't see any mention of wireless charging so I assume it's something you can get with the appropriate back-plate?

Quote:
I'll wait for the iPhone 5S/iOS 7 announcement, then pit the 3 together. My contract is up in May.
Yah, I'm not holding my breath. You're going to buy the new iphone regardless of superior products elsewhere.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:12 PM   #162
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Most people use or otherwise to convey sarcasm One word doesn't convey much of anything.
It's a good phone for Android users. But so is the HTC One. The Nexus 4 if you don't want a contract and native Android.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:13 PM   #163
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
You've been trolling the phone this whole thread. And now it's "sarcasm"?

j/k

You made some good points. I think the HTC One seems a better device, apart from a few niggles. But Samsung have done a good job with this device.

I didn't see any mention of wireless charging so I assume it's something you can get with the appropriate back-plate?
Can't wait to see the benchmarks for the US versions of the 2.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:20 PM   #164
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6832/s...ction-hands-on

Some shots of the One v/s the S4, and some speeds and feeds.

Also, check this out.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/s...-pad-hands-on/

Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:24 PM   #165
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I'm glad I didn't get the Note 2. Gonna have to find a buyer for my GS3.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:27 PM   #166
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
It's a good phone for Android users. But so is the HTC One. The Nexus 4 if you don't want a contract and native Android.
Only the S4 has expandable storage. I'll take that ANY day.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:29 PM   #167
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So the HTC One has an Adreno 320 and the S4 has a PowerVR SGX544MP3, and the S4's CPU is clocked higher. I guess I'm also interested in seeing comparisons, but I don't see how the S4 won't come out on top. Since that's all I really care about, I'm going with that.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Last edited by ice : Mar 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:30 PM   #168
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
So the HTC One has an Adreno 320 and the S4 has a PowerVR SGX544MP3, and the S4's CPU is clocked higher. I guess I'm also interest in seeing comparisons, but I don't see how the S4 won't come out on top. Since that's all I really care about, I'm going with that.
S4 also has expandable storage and a replaceable battery. Both are important to me.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:31 PM   #169
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Yep, I'd never buy a phone without expandable storage, that's why I never even entertained the Nexus phones.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:52 PM   #170
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Non-expandable storage is a deal-breaker for me; glad to see Samsung continues to provide that flexibility.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:33 PM   #171
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

What's the big deal with a removable battery?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:46 PM   #172
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

So S4 is a bigger screen without making the phone bigger... well that's nice. Still too big for me, but it's good to see phone makers NOT growing dimensions for once. Other than that and the nice camera, it's what was expected. No big deal, just an upgrade.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:57 PM   #173
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Yeah. My thoughts exactly. This is not a game changer. Just an upgrade with gimmicky features that don't work all that well in traditional Samsung fashion. And of course with a cheap, plasticky feel.
The One is the better phone.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5990644/samsung...w-is-old-again

Last edited by Razeus : Mar 14, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:37 PM   #174
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Yeah. My thoughts exactly. This is not a game changer. Just an upgrade with gimmicky features that don't work all that well in traditional Samsung fashion. And of course with a cheap, plasticky feel.
The One is the better phone.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5990644/samsung...w-is-old-again
sounds awfully familiar to another phone's successor.......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:39 PM   #175
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

Once again LTE users get shafted.

1.9GHz Quad-core Qualcomm processor, to the LTE market.

And the SUPER CPU, the 1.6GHz Octa-core Exynos processor to the GSM folks.

I just do NOT get why LTE has such an issue with cpus in phones?
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:40 PM   #176
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
What's the big deal with a removable battery?
Ever wished you had a better battery?

or ever wish you had ANOTHER battery if the one you use ran out of juice and you have no outlet near you?

Ever had your phone freeze up/do something stupid and you need to reboot it and the cryptic button presses doesn't work right away?

The answer is NOT "ill just replace the phone"
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:41 PM   #177
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovster View Post
Once again LTE users get shafted.

1.9GHz Quad-core Qualcomm processor, to the LTE market.

And the SUPER CPU, the 1.6GHz Octa-core Exynos processor to the GSM folks.

I just do NOT get why LTE has such an issue with cpus in phones?
Seems like Qualcomm is the only provider of LTE radio transmitters. Plus I think theirs is integrated into the chipset, while the Exynos isn't (separate chip).
All in one probably costs less than 2 separate chips. Plus LTE is more widespread in Murican lands.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:57 PM   #178
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Ever wished you had a better battery?

or ever wish you had ANOTHER battery if the one you use ran out of juice and you have no outlet near you?

Ever had your phone freeze up/do something stupid and you need to reboot it and the cryptic button presses doesn't work right away?

The answer is NOT "ill just replace the phone"
No. I have an iPhone.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:45 PM   #179
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

As a GS3 owner, this left feeling extremely meh. Not really impressed at all.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:17 AM   #180
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Couple of posts deleted. This thread is about cell phones, not criticizing/mocking/deriding others for their technology choices. Discuss the pros/cons/opinions/whatever of the technology itself please.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote