Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:00 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hogrider
Radeon Evergreen

Hogrider is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It's light years ahead of an iPhone 4s. I could never go back to my iPhone 4... Did you give it a fair chance?
I looked at it and it may be good but like I said I love my iphone 4s. I kind of felt bad for the guy.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:17 AM   #92
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
It's light years ahead of an iPhone 4s. I could never go back to my iPhone 4...
Truer words have never been spoken.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:44 AM   #93
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
I looked at it and it may be good but like I said I love my iphone 4s. I kind of felt bad for the guy.
lol ok...

I mean there's nothing wrong with preferring one platform over another if it does everything you want it to do. I tried sticking with iOS (and still miss it) because of the ecosystem and ease of use in some cases.

Why would you feel bad for the guy? I think he felt bad for you.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:53 AM   #94
Hogrider
Radeon Evergreen

Hogrider is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
lol ok...

I mean there's nothing wrong with preferring one platform over another if it does everything you want it to do. I tried sticking with iOS (and still miss it) because of the ecosystem and ease of use in some cases.

Why would you feel bad for the guy? I think he felt bad for you.
He just looked sad that I wasn't going nuts over it.
He felt better later when he showed me the new Pioneer touch screen stereo, speakers, back up camera and headrest monitors he spent $1700 on. Now I really was impressed with that.
For a phone I just want something that works. Yea I know, sounds cliche but for the iphone I really find it is true. The Android phones we had left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:42 AM   #95
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
He just looked sad that I wasn't going nuts over it.
He felt better later when he showed me the new Pioneer touch screen stereo, speakers, back up camera and headrest monitors he spent $1700 on. Now I really was impressed with that.
For a phone I just want something that works. Yea I know, sounds cliche but for the iphone I really find it is true. The Android phones we had left a bad taste in my mouth.
That's because Froyo and Gingerbread were bad.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:45 AM   #96
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Gingerbread wasn't awful.

"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:13 AM   #97
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Gingerbread wasn't awful.

You clearly have not used it enough then.

I would say ICS and above is when Android gets polished and consistent enough.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:14 AM   #98
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It wasn't THAT bad.

It really was
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:18 AM   #99
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nexus 4 FTW
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:20 AM   #100
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Nexus 4 FTW
What do you like about it? Advantages over the GS3?
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:37 AM   #101
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Gingerbread was okay on custom roms. Stock rom gingerbreads were quite crappy. ICS is a different story. It's sad that there are a lot of devices that can run jellybean that won't get an official update. My epic 4g aka galaxy s1 variant with slide out keyboard runs CM10 smooth as butter.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:40 AM   #102
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luggage View Post
Huh. I somehow got the idea that people wee picking them up cheap with no contract.
Not by a long shot.
To give you an idea, I sold my 3 month old GS3 on eBay about a month ago for $570.

Off-contract, these things still cost as much as any other high-end phone.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:42 AM   #103
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I felt that way too about my Camry when a friend of mine showed me his new Lexus.

Doesn't mean I have the better car.

Last edited by somewon : Dec 19, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:15 AM   #104
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Nexus 4 FTW
Lack of external SD kills it for me.

Edit: stupid question, since the Nexus 4 has those on-screen buttons, is that counted or not in the screen's resolution spec? Do you actually have 1280x768 displayable screen space?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Dec 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:45 AM   #105
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Lack of external SD kills it for me.

Edit: stupid question, since the Nexus 4 has those on-screen buttons, is that counted or not in the screen's resolution spec? Do you actually have 1280x768 displayable screen space?
They only appear when needed, else you have the entire screen to play with.

Similar things happen in some situations on the Nokia 920 (same resolution) where you have the little bar for additional menu options appear in some apps and some pages.

I'm pretty sure you won't even notice the extra resolution in most cases.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:47 AM   #106
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Price for outright purchase, and stock OS are the top things I can think of
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:00 PM   #107
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
It wasn't THAT bad.

It really was
Yea, I didn't realize how bad it was until ICS.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:39 PM   #108
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

It's light years ahead of an iPhone 4s.
Blatant hyperbole.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:56 PM   #109
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Blatant hyperbole.
Are you really saying the GS3 isn't advanced over the 4s?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:58 PM   #110
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Are you really saying the GS3 isn't advanced over the 4s?
Define "advanced".
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:02 PM   #111
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That completely relies on what your definition of "is" is.

Not going to bother giving you a reply. If you want to see how far ahead the GS3 is over the iPhone4s, go look at the specs.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:14 PM   #112
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That completely relies on what your definition of "is" is.

Not going to bother giving you a reply. If you want to see how far ahead the GS3 is over the iPhone4s, go look at the specs.
Specs? A phone that launched in 2011 against one that launched in 2012....

Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:18 PM   #113
Nunz
RIP Roxen

No ****, so why are you questioning if the GS3 is advanced over the iPhone4s.

You just contradicted yourself. Take a seat \___
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:27 PM   #114
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
No ****, so why are you questioning if the GS3 is advanced over the iPhone4s.

You just contradicted yourself. Take a seat \___
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:27 PM   #115
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yea, I didn't realize how bad it was until ICS.
That's why I jumped ship until JB. Android was pretty terrible till 4.1 came out. 4.0 was ok on some devices.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:37 PM   #116
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
That's the response I expected from you.
Good boy
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:58 PM   #117
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I have a Galaxy Nexus, but my friend just got a Nexus 4. OS updates direct from Google and no crappy "TouchWiz" UI or bloatware.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:02 PM   #118
Nunz
RIP Roxen

TouchWiz is pretty damn good on the GS3, I must say. It's not bad at all compared to previous phones that Samsung has used it on.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:20 PM   #119
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
They only appear when needed, else you have the entire screen to play with.

Similar things happen in some situations on the Nokia 920 (same resolution) where you have the little bar for additional menu options appear in some apps and some pages.

I'm pretty sure you won't even notice the extra resolution in most cases.
I did in a side by side pic of the S3/N4. There's also a 0.1" screen difference if that amounts to anything.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:27 PM   #120
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Blatant hyperbole.
No, sorry. I loved my iPhone 4 for years and it was my yardstick (and still is in some regards) for what a smartphone should be like. So far, I've yet to see a full-fledged modern gen smartphone come close to its portability, app functionality, and battery life. Even its 2 yr old camera still takes better shots than my S3 at times. You've also witnessed me stacking it up and defending it against garbage Android devices in the past 2 years.

But despite all that, there is no way I could go back to the limited black box of iOS. Having control over what files go where is the next step in using smartphones as a portable computer. I couldn't care less about stupid **** like widgets or customization. But to REALLY use your smartphone like a computer, that means no gimped browsing experience in 100% of cases, complete file management, powerful device backup management, not being tied to proprietary software, having expandable, universal storage, and an equally smooth experience (for the most part) as iOS, you have to step beyond the limitations of iPhone's platform.

Hyperbole would be saying that iPhone and iOS in their current state are "amazing and awesome". I would say to be objective, you need to admit to the pros and cons of all available platforms. Except blackberry, because everyone should hate them with a passion.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"