Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:09 AM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
I forgot to post here, but I think I saw that wpcentral website mentioned GDR2 update is released for Nokia lumia models. GDR3 update is coming in months too. I will flash to my 920 to update latest version tomorrow if I have time.
GDR2 is only out for the latest phones (1020, 925), and some unlocked devices. The 920 update won't be out for a bit yet, and the GDR3 (or 8.1) update will be within a few months after that. GDR3 is the BIG update with a ton of new features

@ daPhoenix, there are a number of lenses on the Lumia's so I am not sure why folks have a raging boner for instagram, other than FB sharing. Probably muscle memory, because you can just as easily add filters and share any other picture
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:58 AM   #152
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
GDR2 is only out for the latest phones (1020, 925), and some unlocked devices. The 920 update won't be out for a bit yet, and the GDR3 (or 8.1) update will be within a few months after that. GDR3 is the BIG update with a ton of new features

@ daPhoenix, there are a number of lenses on the Lumia's so I am not sure why folks have a raging boner for instagram, other than FB sharing. Probably muscle memory, because you can just as easily add filters and share any other picture
If that's the case...then why this? http://www.wpcentral.com/gdr2-update...-nokia-servers

not OTA, but it can be flashed over the USB connection to PC. Also, it's not carrier custom ROM, its just Nokia that provided the GDR2 update.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:10 PM   #153
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
If that's the case...then why this? http://www.wpcentral.com/gdr2-update...-nokia-servers

not OTA, but it can be flashed over the USB connection to PC. Also, it's not carrier custom ROM, its just Nokia that provided the GDR2 update.
Did you read the details?

In order to use the version these guys are doing, you are basically wiping your phone. I don't want to do that. I'll wait for the official release that I can just update my phone with

I don't consider the flashing thing to be customer facing.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:26 PM   #154
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

I'm sure GDR2 will be out soon enough, though it does seem atm that the newest phones are coming with Amber, iirc even the 520/521 ($99 prepaid) phones are coming with GDR2, though they don't support Glance/Peek. GDR3 from what I see is the really big update that will allow significant hardware upgrades. However lets be honest, when it comes to Windows Phone OS, it's significantly optimized allowing even the lowliest Windows phones to run smoothly (see 520/521, HTC 8X(T) ) with their paltry 512MB ram.

nice just saw this Lumia 920 to get Stereo Recording with GDR2 (Amber update) !

Last edited by @md_Guy : Aug 10, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:50 PM   #155
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Did you read the details?

In order to use the version these guys are doing, you are basically wiping your phone. I don't want to do that. I'll wait for the official release that I can just update my phone with

I don't consider the flashing thing to be customer facing.
Yes, I did read the details. I'm aware that it will wipe all the data, but for me, I'm not really concerned about it since I can backup my data.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:50 PM   #156
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
I'm sure GDR2 will be out soon enough, though it does seem atm that the newest phones are coming with Amber, iirc even the 520/521 ($99 prepaid) phones are coming with GDR2, though they don't support Glance/Peek. GDR3 from what I see is the really big update that will allow significant hardware upgrades. However lets be honest, when it comes to Windows Phone OS, it's significantly optimized allowing even the lowliest Windows phones to run smoothly (see 520/521, HTC 8X(T) ) with their paltry 512MB ram.

nice just saw this Lumia 920 to get Stereo Recording with GDR2 (Amber update) !
Yah, WP8 is just brilliant as an OS and Nokia deserves kudo's for what they have done.

The app marketplace still needs more development, and more updates to apps that are out there, but the ecosystem is pretty solid
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:14 AM   #157
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

My question is when the crap are we going to be able to: a. get access to backed up stuff (text messages) via SkyDrive or b. copy text messages from phone to PC en masse.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:17 AM   #158
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

GDR3 is not WP8.1 "blue" FYI.

Blue got delayed or something so MS is trying to bring some of the Blue features to GDR3.

The major points of GDR3 is Quad Core support and 1080p support, apparently orientation lock might be part of it too.
And with the 1080p screen size three medium sized tiles can be placed in a row (so six small ones). It might start becoming kind of a big messy interface though....hopefully it can bring about some interesting main screen grouping options.

Blue will bring the notification center.
http://www.wpcentral.com/new-feature...tedly-revealed
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:42 AM   #159
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

GDR2 apparently showing up officially for some folks on various networks the world over.

Apparently Telstra users can get it now, or tomorrow.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:34 PM   #160
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Quote:
GDR2 apparently showing up officially for some folks on various networks the world over.

Apparently Telstra users can get it now, or tomorrow.
Source?

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Old Aug 18, 2013, 06:07 PM   #161
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Source?
http://www.wpcentral.com/telstra-gdr...morrow-morning
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:27 PM   #162
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Quote:
I just checked mine, but I didn't get update here.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:12 PM   #163
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I just checked mine, but I didn't get update here.

I am still waiting for ATT to approve. Weird they are STILL going through the process.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:29 AM   #164
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My 928 got the update a few days ago. Didn't notice much of anything really.

Also, I figured out how to manage podcasts. I use Zune to handle downloading and tracking of what I've played. I have to mark which episodes I've played manually.

Then I use Windows Phone App for Desktop to sync them.

The whole process is far more laborious, but ultimately capable of fulfilling my needs.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:31 AM   #165
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

822 got updated today.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:02 PM   #166
GiG-DaDDy
Radeon R700

GiG-DaDDy is still being judged by the masses

Is there a quicker way to sync music with windows phone than using the default app with PC.

Like there is Copytrans Manager for iPod instead of iTunes.

Something like that. Thanks!
GiG-DaDDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:22 PM   #167
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiG-DaDDy View Post
Is there a quicker way to sync music with windows phone than using the default app with PC.

Like there is Copytrans Manager for iPod instead of iTunes.

Something like that. Thanks!
Try mediamonkey, http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:11 AM   #168
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So Nokia has a phablet in the works apparently named Lumia 1520.
6" Screen, snapdragon 800 internals, GDR3 equipped.

Im hope to god that Nokia/MS releases a Lumia 1020 variant with the snapdragon 800 internals.....

At this point in my upgrade cycle (stll got a lumia 710, contract's almost done) I don't want to be stuck with obsolete hardware (Even though a snapdragon S4 1.5ghz dual core with Adreno225 is still good enough in the WP environment...and good enough in general honestly).

The best thing however would be the fact that I think all windows phones equipped with WP8 can be upgraded to WP8.1 and WP9 when the time comes.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:02 AM   #169
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
So Nokia has a phablet in the works apparently named Lumia 1520.
6" Screen, snapdragon 800 internals, GDR3 equipped.

Im hope to god that Nokia/MS releases a Lumia 1020 variant with the snapdragon 800 internals.....

At this point in my upgrade cycle (stll got a lumia 710, contract's almost done) I don't want to be stuck with obsolete hardware (Even though a snapdragon S4 1.5ghz dual core with Adreno225 is still good enough in the WP environment...and good enough in general honestly).

The best thing however would be the fact that I think all windows phones equipped with WP8 can be upgraded to WP8.1 and WP9 when the time comes.
Agreed. I hope that 41mp camera can get slimmed down a tick and gets ported to future models.

In terms of WP8 upgrades, I think anything with WP8 is getting the 8.1 update. However, Windows 9 in general I think is still two to 3 years out. By that time, I think Intel will have made a very big impact with their Atom line and getting x86 into the mobile market. If that pans out, I don't think WP9 would go onto a 3 year old phone (Lumia's that are out now).
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:15 PM   #170
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, I tend to agree with that line of thinking, I'm expecting a few WP8.x updates before my phone can't get any more... (and personally I'll have moved on by then anyway as I tend to upgrade every 2 years or so).

The Intel Atom thing certainly has the potential to be a game changer for more reasons than the general public already know...
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 06:48 PM   #171
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
The Nokia Lumia 1520 was said to launch on AT&T first in September, although
that date has slipped to October and now to November, with November 8 being
thrown around
http://www.slashgear.com/att-nokia-l...iled-16297955/

delays

thinking of upgrading my 4s and this one has a card slot
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:32 AM   #172
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

delays

And I think it has a Snapdragon 800 in it. That would make it a cutting edge tech phone and ahead of most Android's and iPhones. I believe that is a first for Windows Phone.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:56 PM   #173
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

delays

I've heard October 22nd as well.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-hold-...ion-lumia-1520
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:27 PM   #174
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
i do want to see it
don't know as i want a phone almost as big as my nook color

i like that it is windows 8, 1080p, Snapdragon 800 and a card slot now just need more aspps
wish garmin and magellan port and support w8 with onboard maps gps apps i use on iphone
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:01 PM   #175
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
i do want to see it
don't know as i want a phone almost as big as my nook color

i like that it is windows 8, 1080p, Snapdragon 800 and a card slot now just need more aspps
wish garmin and magellan port and support w8 with onboard maps gps apps i use on iphone
Nokia's Here Maps navigation is superior to many others on the market. I used Navigon previously on iOS, Here is far better. And it's free

For other apps, I agree with you, I would like for a faster and higher quality roll-out of tier-1 apps. However the 3'rd party apps out there for most are top notch, and many are free.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:28 AM   #176
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Nokia's Here Maps navigation is superior to many others on the market. I used Navigon previously on iOS, Here is far better. And it's free

For other apps, I agree with you, I would like for a faster and higher quality roll-out of tier-1 apps. However the 3'rd party apps out there for most are top notch, and many are free.
i'll look into the "Nokia's Here Maps" does it have onboard maps and poi i run around in a truck and keep data off for the most part and need to look up the next address without data or wifi

i find with the iphone the Garmin StreetPilot Onboard is easiest to find peoples houses
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garm...0864?ls=1&mt=8

and roadmate for POI like closest home depot, parts store or starbucks to customers house

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mage...339245236?mt=8

have a tomtom app to but don't like it as well

down side of onboard maps they each use about 1.8gb
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:34 AM   #177
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
i'll look into the "Nokia's Here Maps" does it have onboard maps and poi i run around in a truck and keep data off for the most part and need to look up the next address without data or wifi
You can run it completely in off-line mode if you want. I use natural language search to locate stuff and I can launch directly off of bing based searches (search button).

I can use POI search if needed but much easier to just search in Bing or in the app with natural language

Quote:
i find with the iphone the Garmin StreetPilot Onboard is easiest to find peoples houses
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garm...0864?ls=1&mt=8

and roadmate for POI like closest home depot, parts store or starbucks to customers house

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mage...339245236?mt=8

have a tomtom app to but don't like it as well

down side of onboard maps they each use about 1.8gb
The total size of all maps downloaded on Here would be large, probably 1.8 GB, but you can DL for each state individually, as needed.

If there is a new device coming out, you'll get the latest version (which I don't have because ATT still hasn't released GDR2 for the 920 ), so you should have a couple more features than what I have right now.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:07 PM   #178
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
And I think it has a Snapdragon 800 in it. That would make it a cutting edge tech phone and ahead of most Android's and iPhones. I believe that is a first for Windows Phone.
I think the big difference being that Android and iPhones need the "cutting edge tech" just to run smoothly, where as WP8 is very capable of running on very low end hardware that would barely be capable of running Andriod or iOS.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:05 PM   #179
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
I think the big difference being that Android and iPhones need the "cutting edge tech" just to run smoothly, where as WP8 is very capable of running on very low end hardware that would barely be capable of running Andriod or iOS.
i think 1520 maybe the first WP8 to be 1080p so it may need that Snapdragon 800

but i think i'm done with Android, my asus transformer tf101 didn't even get the jelly bean update at just two years old

and i see apple dropped the ipad 1 but it's a year older, but they did just make my 4s slower and i'm not putting ios 7 on my ipad 2 till i have to

so next phone and tablet will be windows
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:11 PM   #180
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
i think 1520 maybe the first WP8 to be 1080p so it may need that Snapdragon 800

but i think i'm done with Android, my asus transformer tf101 didn't even get the jelly bean update at just two years old

and i see apple dropped the ipad 1 but it's a year older, but they did just make my 4s slower and i'm not putting ios 7 on my ipad 2 till i have to

so next phone and tablet will be windows
Even the iPad 3 is struggling with iOS7, so there you have it

It's not a bad idea to reduce support for older OS's, I mean it is a business after all.

And yes, I think the new device you are looking into will be the first 1080P device. I am interested in the extra columns because you supposedly can have a full size and mid size tile on the same row. Believe me, pictures do not do justice to just how awesome this will be