Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:55 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryjs View Post
No, but unless that mobile device is the only computing device you have, why would you? Just seems like the least efficient tool for the job, and not very good examples of why real background operation is valuable.
Yes, those things can be done on iOS. No jailbreak needed too.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:59 PM   #182
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
There are FTP apps that let you transfer wirelessly and they do work in the background while you do something else. I use FTP pro on the go(IIRC thats the name).
Might want to check to make sure that the app can be run in the background...

Goodreader has a builtin web server to transfer files. However as soon as you hit the home button the server is disabled.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 PM   #183
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
Might want to check to make sure that the app can be run in the background...

Goodreader has a builtin web server to transfer files. However as soon as you hit the home button the server is disabled.
Confirmed a long time ago when I was on the road and needed to transfer files from my phone to my server while talking on the phone.

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:12 PM   #184
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Confirmed a long time ago when I was on the road and needed to transfer files from my phone to my server while talking on the phone.
The iOS api's won't let a ftp server operate in the background indefinitely. The iOS model is that background execution is possible for a short amount of time for a specific task taking a finite time (uploading to a server for example, but not being a server). Long running-background tasks are restricted to audio, location, voip, newsstand, external accessory and Bluetooth accessory tasks. Also, a phone call doesn't cause the active app to be suspended, it is still active but the expectation from the os is that it enters a no-input state and the app is expected to cut down it's cpu usage accordingly.

Last edited by fryjs : Sep 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
fryjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:13 PM   #185
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
I was referring to running the server on the device and the client on the PC, not running the app in client mode.

You probably had the phone app in the background and the FTP app in the foreground (in client mode).

I don't feel like shelling out 10 bucks to test this out, even if it is work related. The developer has been contacted for more info. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, my own code has confirmed that TCP sockets are suspended a few seconds after hitting the home button, ie backgrounded...

Last edited by BackToPC : Sep 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:21 PM   #186
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i think the iphone 5 looks much more refine then iphone 4 .
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:26 PM   #187
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

nano looks very cool to be honest..

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:33 PM   #188
BackToPC
Banned

Lightning to 30 pin adapter, $29. Sigh.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...30-pin-adapter
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:35 PM   #189
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
Looks like a small Lumia.

Maybe Nokia will sue their asses.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #190
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

They'll probably claim it's based off their old iPod minis

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #191
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Lightning to 30 pin adapter, $29. Sigh.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...30-pin-adapter
this kind of crap cable should cost less then 1usd to make in china

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:38 PM   #192
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post

lol. i think it looks like mini iphone.

my brother has a lumia 900. it also looks like his phone.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:38 PM   #193
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

$2 china adaptor in the works I'm sure

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:40 PM   #194
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
I was referring to running the server on the device and the client on the PC, not running the app in client mode.

You probably had the phone app in the background and the FTP app in the foreground (in client mode).

I don't feel like shelling out 10 bucks to test this out, even if it is work related. The developer has been contacted for more info. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, my own code has confirmed that TCP sockets are suspended a few seconds after hitting the home button, ie backgrounded...
Looks like youre right on this front. It will not work while backgrounded, I must have had the phone backgrounded. But you can still download stuff from the net.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:41 PM   #195
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
$2 china adaptor in the works I'm sure
I read that for at least 6 months apple will be the sole provider of this adapter. Apple has predicted to make approx $100 mil from this device alone.

Also, the lightning to usb cable is only $19. Why is the adapter so high? Does it have a converter chip inside? Probably...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:42 PM   #196
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Looks like youre right on this front. It will not work while backgrounded, I must have had the phone backgrounded. But you can still download stuff from the net.
I wish I was wrong

I'm hitting all kinds of development road blocks on iOS at work...

Last edited by BackToPC : Sep 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:44 PM   #197
logical
What is my purpose?

Zero what are you leaning towards at this point? Or are you still waiting for more technical hands on reviews?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:53 PM   #198
Zero
Sass hole

Hard to say. I'm not a huge fan of the S3 nor the iPhone 5 at this point. Even with more in-depth review, it's still an iPhone.

The battery life, camera, and previous investment in iOS apps is making me lean towards the iPhone though...

There's also nothing on the horizon worth waiting for either at this point. Might just stick with my beater phone until something really good comes out.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:55 PM   #199
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

why not consider the samsung galaxy note 2?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:58 PM   #200
Zero
Sass hole

Way too big for my liking.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:03 PM   #201
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I read that for at least 6 months apple will be the sole provider of this adapter. Apple has predicted to make approx $100 mil from this device alone.

Also, the lightning to usb cable is only $19. Why is the adapter so high? Does it have a converter chip inside? Probably...

other products it would come free with the phone
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:03 PM   #202
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post

no, apple will sue nokia, and will probably win
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:04 PM   #203
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

I actually need a new phone because my 3gs is slow and unstable (thanks, Apple and your buggy updates - and yes, I realize it's better than no updates etc.). I wanted an Android phone but none of them have hardware I'd want vs. the iPhone 5. So, alas, another iPhone it is for me. iOS is soooo stuck in 2007, but it works for sure.

I have a Galaxy Nexus running JB for work I can use on wi-fi only, so at least I can keep getting my Android fix. It's just a shame none of the OEMs have seriously taken on Apple on the industrial design front - I'm pretty platform agnostic as long as I can get things done (meaning iOS and Android... sorry Windows Phone you're not there yet) and the hardware is enjoyable to use and very usable. I've been working in the mobile industry for just about 14 years so the total package matters at this point, and the iPhone 5 + iOS just barely still holds the lead in my eyes and hands (based on the 4S).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:20 PM   #204
Zero
Sass hole

Galaxy S3 doesn't do it for you?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:33 PM   #205
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
I actually need a new phone because my 3gs is slow and unstable (thanks, Apple and your buggy updates - and yes, I realize it's better than no updates etc.). I wanted an Android phone but none of them have hardware I'd want vs. the iPhone 5. So, alas, another iPhone it is for me. iOS is soooo stuck in 2007, but it works for sure.

I have a Galaxy Nexus running JB for work I can use on wi-fi only, so at least I can keep getting my Android fix. It's just a shame none of the OEMs have seriously taken on Apple on the industrial design front - I'm pretty platform agnostic as long as I can get things done (meaning iOS and Android... sorry Windows Phone you're not there yet) and the hardware is enjoyable to use and very usable. I've been working in the mobile industry for just about 14 years so the total package matters at this point, and the iPhone 5 + iOS just barely still holds the lead in my eyes and hands (based on the 4S).
What about the HTC One X?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:43 PM   #206
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post

Lovely industrial design. Hidden behind polycarbonate or rubberized cases because it shatters or gets scratched so easily.

Brilliant, really.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:00 AM   #207
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
Jobs would be rolling in his grave. Looks like those gay fugly iMacs that were all candy colored while Jobs was gone the 1st time. Every time he leaves they crank out this plastic girly crap.

That said wouldn't it be cool if they had an iPhone Nano??? Like a mini-smartphone...

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:16 AM   #208
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Jobs would be rolling in his grave. Looks like those gay fugly iMacs that were all candy colored while Jobs was gone the 1st time. Every time he leaves they crank out this plastic girly crap.
Steve Jobs return to (de facto) CEO of Apple: July 1997
Colored iMac introduction: August 1998

Not so sure Steve wouldn't approve...

Last edited by fryjs : Sep 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
fryjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:19 AM   #209
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryjs View Post
Steve Jobs return to (de facto) CEO of Apple: July 1997
Colored iMac introduction: August 1998

Not so sure Steve wouldn't approve...
FX makes up history as he goes. See any of his posts in P&R.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:09 AM   #210
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

Well, that was damn underwhelming. Reminded me of recent Motorola conference.
This is nice upgrade to 4S, but there's nothing truly spectacular about it. It just doesn't feel like a superhone anymore. It's app ecosystem is still unrivaled, but with everything else it seems Apple let other people catch up and in many cases surpass them, which is plain weird.

I think I will go for Lumia 920 instead and just wait for iPad mini as a way to tap into iOS ecosystem
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote