Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:09 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Still on the fence til more in-depth reviews come in.

How about you, this sway your purchasing decision in any direction?
One the fence as well... I want to hear more about the internals. The processor... how much ram.

The only thing I didnt like about the S3 was that it felt too wide in my hands when using it. Everything else was really nice though.

The iPhone 5 while not anything groundbreaking, brings it up to speed with the rest of the competition. Im still on my iPhone 4 so anything that comes out today feels noticeably faster.

I think I am going to see what hands on previews say... hopefully anand gets one so they can run some tests or something before it comes out. They are usually pretty technical.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:13 PM   #92
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

wikipedia says the A6 chip is a quad core cortex-A9. which is essentially whats in the galaxy s3. except iOS doesnt like multitasking so quad core is kind of useless for apple's devices

So glad I got the S3, it ended up being way better than the iPhone 5.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #93
bman212121
Radeon R520

bman212121 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman View Post
Seems like change for the sake of change.
That's apple's motto IMO...
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:16 PM   #94
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The only thing I didnt like about the S3 was that it felt too wide in my hands when using it. Everything else was really nice though.
I can see how some people would have an issue with that. I have a large hand so it's not a problem for me, it fits quite well actually, but for others with smaller hands I could see that being annoying
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:18 PM   #95
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Im totally at a loss about 4g.. it sucks alot.

And I cant change to any other phone because I would use 4g for the games in the app store and android or wp8 doesnt have the games.

Ugh, okay, that is a tough spot. Even if WP8 turns it around (which I think it will) I agree it's gonna take awhile (imo, about a year). How do you bridge that gap? Tough call.

I don't play games really on a phone. I'm in that minority that seems to use their phone as a phone first, mp3 player second and everything else whatever/last, even web browsing. With that, WP8 holds so much win for me.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:19 PM   #96
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

Nothing new really we all expect those features, nothing is impressive.
But i will buy it to replace my iphone 3gs, apple has better market place, apps are compatible with old and new phones.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:20 PM   #97
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
wikipedia says the A6 chip is a quad core cortex-A9. which is essentially whats in the galaxy s3. except iOS doesnt like multitasking so quad core is kind of useless for apple's devices

So glad I got the S3, it ended up being way better than the iPhone 5.
US version of S3(which I would get) is not quad core though, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I can see how some people would have an issue with that. I have a large hand so it's not a problem for me, it fits quite well actually, but for others with smaller hands I could see that being annoying
I wouldnt consider my hands small but I felt like I had to open my hand a lot more than I am used to, to hold the phone. It almost felt unnatural... not sure if its because I currently use a smaller phone.. or its just too big overall.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:20 PM   #98
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Ugh, okay, that is a tough spot. Even if WP8 turns it around (which I think it will) I agree it's gonna take awhile (imo, about a year). How do you bridge that gap? Tough call.

I don't play games really on a phone. I'm in that minority that seems to use their phone as a phone first, mp3 player second and everything else whatever/last, even web browsing. With that, WP8 holds so much win for me.
Yeah but I dont need 4g for anything but the games because of the better latency and I can play online without a problem.

3g here is enough for everything else.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:22 PM   #99
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Yeah but I dont need 4g for anything but the games because of the better latency and I can play online without a problem.

3g here is enough for everything else.
The 3g here sucks. Usually at only 1mbs.. so the 4G is definitely welcome for everything else. I sometimes watch youtube videos on the go.. to have them at HD 100% of the time would be nice. Apple also seemed to keep the battery life nice. 8 hours of browsing on 4G is pretty good IMO.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:23 PM   #100
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I went from the iPhone4, to an OG Droid, to the S3.

The iPhone4 and OG Droid are somewhat near the same size, though the iPhone is heavier. Honestly it took a few hours to get used to the size of the S3 but once I did, it feels perfectly snug.

At first I looked at the phone in my hand with the "Holy ****, this thing is huge" face. Feels more much "normal" now, and I love it. The screen is gorgeous and the phone is blazing quick. I haven't even put a custom ROM on it, there's just no need. Battery life is also better than my iPhone4, while having a much larger screen and being faster.

The apps on Android are more useful to me as well, but hey..

Back on topic :

I'm surprised they just kept the iPhone4 style. Quite disappointed to say the least.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:24 PM   #101
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Yep, the US version is a dual core Krait (Cortex-A15) and the Intl version is a quad core Exynos (Cortex-A9).

Its worth mentioning that the Cortex-A15 architecture completely destroys Cortex-A9 in performance.

Apple is still using Cortex-A9. However the GPU is probably still the best in the market.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:24 PM   #102
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

US is dual core. I have a gsm one for travel as well as my sprint one. It's about the same in terms of noticeable performance. However, the s4 us version does get better battery life.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:25 PM   #103
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Nunz how often did you charge your iPhone 4 vs your S3?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:25 PM   #104
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
The 3g here sucks. Usually at only 1mbs.. so the 4G is definitely welcome for everything else. I sometimes watch youtube videos on the go.. to have them at HD 100% of the time would be nice. Apple also seemed to keep the battery life nice. 8 hours of browsing on 4G is pretty good IMO.
Yeah but 4G with a data cap plan is like having a supersonic jet with only a single gallon of fuel to use...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:26 PM   #105
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Here its good
Have no problem streaming movies, music, using the web or anything.
Its just the high latency so you cant play online games. The latency is 200-300ms. 4g latency here is 10-30ms

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:28 PM   #106
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Yeah but 4G with a data cap plan is like having a supersonic jet with only a single gallon of fuel to use...
Im still grandfathered into an unlimited plan hopefully whatever phone I chose I will be able to keep it.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:32 PM   #107
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Nunz how often did you charge your iPhone 4 vs your S3?
Hmm, well I left this morning with 80% battery life on the S3. I didn't charge it overnight like I usually do. I came home with 43% battery life, and I'm charging it now. There is a three hour break between my 8am class that ends at 9, and my next class at 12:15. I listened to Pandora radio on the phone and browsed Rage, facebook, couple other things and downloaded some apps on my campus WIFI. When I left for my 12:15 class and turned off the radio etc, there was 50% battery life left. That's impressive as **** imo. The screen was on for at least two out of the three hours.

My iPhone4 was being charged almost every night, sometimes I would stretch it until afternoon of the next day. I also wasn't doing things like browsing the internet or using Pandora radio.
To be fair, the iPhone had fantastic battery life as well.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:34 PM   #108
Chuki
Radeon Evergreen

Chuki is still being judged by the masses

iPhone 5 another game changer. 16x9 screen, wait android has been there awhile. Larger 4" screen, wait GS3 is 4.8". LTE connectivity, wait android has had that for awhile too. Retina display @ 1136 x 640, yeah 1280x720 in the other court.

More money spent on patent lawsuits because you refuse to innovate, we'll you win there.

Seriously can apple redesign anything or do they just keep trying to reuse as much old stock as possible. That bezel is huge. Couldn't redesign the home button and allow the screen to occupy more real estate instead you just make the entire thing taller.
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:38 PM   #109
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Im still grandfathered into an unlimited plan hopefully whatever phone I chose I will be able to keep it.
Pretty sure you'll lose it if you buy a 4LTE phone under contract. I was able to keep my existing unlimited plan by buying my Razr via 3rd party and keeping out of contract.

4G LTE + unlimited + tethering =

edit: verizon user, and haven't been under contract since I bought my Droid OG near launch date back in 2009, always buying used via CL.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:39 PM   #110
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

anyone else notice the new nano is like a total copy of the new sony mp3 players even the ui.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:40 PM   #111
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Pretty sure you'll lose it if you buy a 4LTE phone under contract. I was able to keep my existing unlimited plan by buying my Razr via 3rd party and keeping out of contract.

4G LTE + unlimited + tethering =
Im hoping I dont But I can see ATT definitely wanting people to fall under their tiered plans to get more money. On average I use about 2GB of data a month so I dont really need a huge plan, but I like the piece of mind that if I need to use the data I can.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:44 PM   #112
Redshirt_X
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm torn on this. It actually doesn't look that bad to me as a smartphone (note that I've been rocking a Tracfone flipper for the past few years, however, so all smartphones by default would be upgrades), but my inner bandwagon-jumper-off-of is going "One, you'll never be able to get one between pre-order mania and the subsequent rise of the Gouge Posse. Two, you'll be stuck with some sort of overpriced contract if you do get this."

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I like them tall and petite.
Redshirt_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:50 PM   #113
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Im hoping I dont But I can see ATT definitely wanting people to fall under their tiered plans to get more money. On average I use about 2GB of data a month so I dont really need a huge plan, but I like the piece of mind that if I need to use the data I can.
Yep, generally my data usage is pretty low, but it sure can peak and adds up quickly if I'm in a location where tethering is my best option. For example, was away from home a few days back end of August, and wracked up almost 3GB of data in about two days.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:54 PM   #114
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Power of custom rom and s3. This was with light usage.

Nothing like having utter control of how your phone works.

Customization too

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:56 PM   #115
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

NO LTE

damn you apple!
you suck!
If you look at that table, it only features first wave countries.
I bet there will be more supported LTE countries and carries added to that list shortly.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #116
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I'll get a picture up of the next full discharge I get on the phone. I'll run it to 0% and we shall see!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:04 PM   #117
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post

Customization too
Go on...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:16 PM   #118
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Go on...
Oh just referring to battery life there . 50 bucks says the 5s will come with a notification light. I noticed they left that out.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:20 PM   #119
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Mickey Padge is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Customization too
What rom?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:22 PM   #120
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Oh just referring to battery life there . 50 bucks says the 5s will come with a notification light. I noticed they left that out.
I was saying 'go on' to get you to explain how you got that great battery life.

What rom, how did you flash, link to XDA

Go on...