Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default (Official) The "New" iPhone (5) Discussion Thread

Announcement in 3 hours or so.

Just a thread focused on the announcement and what we think of the features with it and iOS6 plus anything. A lot of the other threads are parody's, legal junk, etc.

Liveblog/Stream from the following sites here:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/e...san-francisco/

iPhone 5 (official)
Quote:
aluminum-backed device as seen in leaks
5 rows of icons (no surprise)
thinner and lighter than previous iphones (112g, 7.6mm thick)

In the US: Sprint, AT&T and Verizion. All will support LTE.

HSPA+ is 21Mbps, DC-HSDPA is 42Mbps, and LTE is a max of 100.

GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HSDPA and LTE!

New chip, the A6! 2X faster CPU and 2x graphics compared to the A5

Last edited by shrike126 : Sep 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

When is the announcement event starting?

Edit: nvm answered my own question, 10am PST.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Link to the live stream?
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Word is they're not live streaming this one.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Sep 12, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:49 AM   #5
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Hope you don't mind if I make edits to your OP there Adelph...
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:36 AM   #6
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Can't wait!

Looking forward to pre-order it tonight but I doubt that will be possible this early in Switzerland. But if it is, I'm not going to bed until it's ordered
Gonna get a 32GB Unlocked iPhone.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:45 AM   #7
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Im getting one

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:48 AM   #8
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Hope you don't mind if I make edits to your OP there Adelph...
... my first... official thread! of joy....
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
... my first... official thread! of joy....
I just kept creating threads with "Official" in the title till they eventually stickied a couple
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:16 AM   #10
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Going to pre-order 3. Me and my fathers iphone 4's are about ready for retirement, and my mom's contract is ready for renewal too.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:51 AM   #11
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

iphone 5 or S3 decision soon. I'll pre order if I want it as soon as its available.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #12
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well, this one will be magical for sure, no contest there.
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo View Post
Well, this one will be magical for sure, no contest there.
of course. It was made by the top 5 wizards and 2 witches!
Some dragons were killed in making it also

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
iphone 5 or S3 decision soon. I'll pre order if I want it as soon as its available.
Kinda in the same boat, though I suspect neither option will be satisfactory.

S3
+better web browsing
+uSD
+more open OS
-pentile screen
-battery life
-ecosystem

iPhone (5?)
+better ecosystem
-no uSD
-low compatibility with native web browsing
-iTunes
-proprietary connector
-proprietary/new format SIM
TBD battery life (suspect will be advantage)
TBD screen and IQ
TBD responsiveness (suspect equal or better)

Hard choice considering I'm not crazy about either device...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #15
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Is there a live stream somewhere?
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Zero
Sass hole

Not that I can find.

iPhone 5 is the official name (yay...)

iPhone 5 details:

aluminum-backed device as seen in leaks
5 rows of icons (no surprise)
thinner and lighter than previous iphones (112g, 7.6mm thick)
4" 1136x640 screen, 326ppi

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Sep 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:17 PM   #17
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

No big surprises so far.. just what the rumors had it pegged at

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:18 PM   #18
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

Looks like yeah, 4" display that's the same width as before, just taller. Extra row of app icons. It's a 326ppi Retina display, 4-inches. 1136 x 640 resolution. Same width, but taller.

... uh yay?

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:20 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Letterbox apps Enjoy all that new screen real estate by making it exactly the same size as the old screen

Obviously only until apps update but not making it easy to scale is really lame.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:21 PM   #20
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Looks like yeah, 4" display that's the same width as before, just taller. Extra row of app icons. It's a 326ppi Retina display, 4-inches. 1136 x 640 resolution. Same width, but taller.

... uh yay?
not even 720p ...

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:23 PM   #21
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
not even 720p ...
Apparently not, but remember it's RETINA DISPLAY.

Quote:
In the US: Sprint, AT&T and Verizion. All will support LTE.

HSPA+ is 21Mbps, DC-HSDPA is 42Mbps, and LTE is a max of 100.

GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HSDPA and LTE!

New chip, the A6! 2X faster CPU and 2x graphics compared to the A5

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:24 PM   #22
Zero
Sass hole

5GHz wifi-n is a good addition

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:25 PM   #23
badboy
Merc with a mouth

a6!!! damn! that will be nice

- True Blood
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

Engadget liveblog just called the graphics from some EA racing game "on par with current console gameplay graphics"

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Zero
Sass hole

Apple claims iPhone 5 exceeds battery life of iPhone 4S

(so that what, makes it on par with my old iPhone 4?)

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:31 PM   #26
fellix_bg
Don't lettuce on me!

fellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Cortex A15 -- finally an out-of-order architecture in smartphone.

Life has more imagination than we carry in our dreams...
fellix_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:32 PM   #27
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

Camera update
Quote:
Now there's a dynamic low light mode. It evaluates nearby pixels to give up to 2 f-stops greater low-light performance.

5-element lens and f/2.4 aperture. Same as the iPhone 4S but thinner.

3264x2448 8MP camera

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:33 PM   #28
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So its looking like this is just a bigger iphone4s like the rumors stated.....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:33 PM   #29
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Am i the only one who's not impressed

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:34 PM   #30
Zero
Sass hole

Idiot-proof panorama mode?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"