Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:33 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Oh kay eye no. Your rite.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:35 PM   #152
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I know I know. You'll be coming to the Dark Side shortly my friend.
Only if they release an iPad with quad core and high res display and there's nothing on the Android side that at least matches it. I would have seriously considered this one if it were quad core.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #153
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Only if they release an iPad with quad core and high res display and there's nothing on the Android side that at least matches it. I would have seriously considered this one if it were quad core.
...and I was for sure this was going to be an A6 quad-core, which would have, combined with Retina, would have obliterated the competition. Also, I was hoping the would have changed the backing to be complete glass a la iPhone 4S.

Last edited by Razeus : Mar 8, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:56 PM   #154
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
...and I was for sure this was going to be an A6 quad-core, which would have, combined with Retina, would have obliterated the competition. Also, I was hoping the would have changed the backing to be complete glass a la iPhone 4S.
I wouldn't want complete glass on a tablet, no way in hell. I've already dropped mine a couple of times, I'd have obliterated all glass!

Yes, a quad core A6 would have made it an iPad I'd actually be willing to switch environments for, and that's saying a LOT.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:13 PM   #155
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Implying we know anything about what the "A6" processor is beyond just a product identifier code in some software.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:07 PM   #156
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Owner of an iPad 2 that largely sits on our kitchen counter for light web browsing and mostly recipes. Sometimes used by kids (probably more as they get older).

iPad 3 = no compelling reason for me to upgrade

If I didn't own one, it'd be a good time to get one.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:07 PM   #157
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Are there many iPad 2 only apps? Think there will be many iPad 3rd gen only apps?
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:47 PM   #158
meerkat154
Radeon R600

meerkat154 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymeerkat154 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Check this new data....I'm hedging my bet on Android on the long haul

http://www.dailytech.com/Comscore+Fi...ticle24189.htm

-Kat
meerkat154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:15 PM   #159
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Are there many iPad 2 only apps? Think there will be many iPad 3rd gen only apps?
i think there are none, the only thing that the ipad 2 has and ipad 1 does not. might be some games effect.

so the user experience will probably be the same or close from ipad 1-3 if you don't game on it.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:27 PM   #160
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i think there are none, the only thing that the ipad 2 has and ipad 1 does not. might be some games effect.

so the user experience will probably be the same or close from ipad 1-3 if you don't game on it.
There are actually a few games that are Ipad2 only and a ton that just run like crap on a ipad 1. The Ipad 1 is really bad for games, less memory 256MB vs 512 MB , a4 vs a5 are the two big factors that make ipad1 to ipad2 upgrade HUGE when it comes to games.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:49 PM   #161
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
There are actually a few games that are Ipad2 only and a ton that just run like crap on a ipad 1. The Ipad 1 is really bad for games, less memory 256MB vs 512 MB , a4 vs a5 are the two big factors that make ipad1 to ipad2 upgrade HUGE when it comes to games.

yea, i think gaming should give buyer the main reason to upgrade. from 1-2 or 2-3.

the 25xx X 15xx resolution gaming on 10 inch is insane if you ask me.

even my 40 inch or even those 70 inch hdtv are only doing 1080p at best.

i can't imagine, how games will look on such a high resolution on a tiny 10 inch display.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:10 PM   #162
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

OK folks, so after all the crap I said about the new iPad, think I'm going to pick up a 32GB iPad. Any reason why I should spend more on the 64GB? All I do is surf the web, play games (3-4 installed - delete after finish), and read e-books (mostly) on the thing.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:57 PM   #163
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
OK folks, so after all the crap I said about the new iPad, think I'm going to pick up a 32GB iPad. Any reason why I should spend more on the 64GB? All I do is surf the web, play games (3-4 installed - delete after finish), and read e-books (mostly) on the thing.
No reason.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:30 AM   #164
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think the biggest problem is the iPad lineup is all a little overpriced. You can make arguments that they're solid products, but they aren't worth the asking price unless you're an Apple nut. The iPad 1 had an ecsude since there WAS no alternitive back then for tablets... but now theres tons. Why choose the more expensive Apple?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:42 AM   #165
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
I think the biggest problem is the iPad lineup is all a little overpriced. You can make arguments that they're solid products, but they aren't worth the asking price unless you're an Apple nut. The iPad 1 had an ecsude since there WAS no alternitive back then for tablets... but now theres tons. Why choose the more expensive Apple?
before the iPad came out, there were rumours that it would be $999. even if it did come out at that figure, it would still have been a success. and you had better believe all other tablets on the market would be in that price range too, because the manufacturers would be able to get away with it.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:53 AM   #166
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciera View Post
before the iPad came out, there were rumours that it would be $999. even if it did come out at that figure, it would still have been a success. and you had better believe all other tablets on the market would be in that price range too, because the manufacturers would be able to get away with it.
I disagree, if anything the market is trying to drive the prices of tablets down. The iPad captures this market segment by discounting previous models, but other companies offering new products tried to both compete with Apple directly in that $500 ish tablet segment, or they go lower. If anything the $99 TouchPad fire sale and the more recent $$199 Kindle Fire have demonstrated that you can capture a chunk of market and mind share by driving for lower price points.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:29 AM   #167
marqmajere
GeeVooForceDoo

marqmajere is still being judged by the masses

I have an Acer A200 already. Would buying an iPad2 for $400 be worth it? I mainly watch Twitch tv for live streams and surf the web. The A200 doesn't do twitch very well.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:45 AM   #168
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I disagree, if anything the market is trying to drive the prices of tablets down. The iPad captures this market segment by discounting previous models, but other companies offering new products tried to both compete with Apple directly in that $500 ish tablet segment, or they go lower. If anything the $99 TouchPad fire sale and the more recent $$199 Kindle Fire have demonstrated that you can capture a chunk of market and mind share by driving for lower price points.
The TouchPad was released at a $400-500 price point. And the Kindle Fire can't be compared to an iPad, since 1) it's likely being sold on margin because of 2) the fact that it's not a fully functional tablet, but instead an Amazon Storefront device. If you're gonna compare the iPad to something, then it would be the Galaxy tab or Transformer, and obviously those aren't selling for $99.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 02:16 AM   #169
m4trix
Banned

m4trix is still being judged by the masses

Apple Denmark have now confirmed that the iPad 3 wil not run 4G in Europe.
Now they just need to remove the 4G logo from the danish apple page.....
m4trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 02:21 AM   #170
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
more expensive apple? overpriced?
Asus Transformer and the Galaxy Tab costs more

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 03:02 AM   #171
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
more expensive apple? overpriced?
Asus Transformer and the Galaxy Tab costs more
Maybe in Sweden, over here both the Transformer and the Tab are cheaper.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 03:34 AM   #172
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Maybe in Sweden, over here both the Transformer and the Tab are cheaper.
Well in sweden they are more expensive. Im comparing to the ipad 2

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:02 AM   #173
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Well in sweden they are more expensive. Im comparing to the ipad 2
Here the Transformer 16Gb is 100 euros cheaper than the 16Gb Ipad 2, non 3G.
The Galaxy Tab is around 50 euros cheaper.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:53 AM   #174
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Here the Transformer 16Gb is 100 euros cheaper than the 16Gb Ipad 2, non 3G.
The Galaxy Tab is around 50 euros cheaper.
transformer prime 16gb is 150 euro more expensive, transformer is 20 euro and galaxy tab is 50 euros here

- True Blood
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:55 AM   #175
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4trix View Post
Apple Denmark have now confirmed that the iPad 3 wil not run 4G in Europe.
Now they just need to remove the 4G logo from the danish apple page.....
yeah confirmed here too now.
I dont care as I will buy the wifi version.

- True Blood
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:06 AM   #176
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciera View Post
The TouchPad was released at a $400-500 price point. And the Kindle Fire can't be compared to an iPad, since 1) it's likely being sold on margin because of 2) the fact that it's not a fully functional tablet, but instead an Amazon Storefront device. If you're gonna compare the iPad to something, then it would be the Galaxy tab or Transformer, and obviously those aren't selling for $99.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't compare the Kindle Fire to the iPad since they're both competing in the tablet market. Selling something at or below cost as a loss leader doesn't disprove the notion that it's a product competing in the tablet space. I agree it's not as fully featured as the iPad 2, but that doesn't make it "not-a-tablet" and not a competing product. I argue that, I'm not making the Kindle Fire vs. iPad comparison, the entire world is. Hell even Amazon's Kindle page has a direct Kindle vs. iPad comparison chart here.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:16 AM   #177
m4trix
Banned

m4trix is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
yeah confirmed here too now.
I dont care as I will buy the wifi version.
Well thats not the point The point is that apple knew it all the time and is marketing the device as 4G in Europe. And its NOT!

Last edited by m4trix : Mar 9, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
m4trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:26 AM   #178
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Question- can you transfer xvid or other video formats onto a jailbroken iPad? Or are they still stuck only supporting mp4 in iTunes?
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:34 AM   #179
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
Question- can you transfer xvid or other video formats onto a jailbroken iPad? Or are they still stuck only supporting mp4 in iTunes?
VLC Player, you don't even need to be jailbroken.

However some of the hd formats tend to chug. I never messed with it much.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:07 PM   #180
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
IMO its not worth it unless it has quad quad cores.....
But you might as well wait for quad quad quad cores because that'll be out within the year of quad quad cores.....

I predict in the future we'll have 17" tablets that people will be hauling around in backpacks just to read kindle or browse internet on a bus.....
And they'll have like quad quad quad quad cores with quad quad quad quad core GPUs.

And android will need extra quads to compensate for the lack of optimization
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote