Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 2, 2011, 08:25 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Are you seriously thinking that Apple, the company with a 400 dollar stock is going to go up and say "In a year, we've made the iPhone 4S, with just more ram and bigger screen"

They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot.
They totally would, they just wouldn't be as honest as that.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/01/...t-itunes-beta/
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8

Last edited by Perky McGiggles : Oct 2, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:08 PM   #32
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

they fixed the antenna issue, upgrade the specs a little. that's enough to keep the iphone train rolling for another year easily.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:23 PM   #33
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Not with the kind of competition ramping up. Apple is starting to become RIM, if they keep selling iPhone 4 compared to

HTC Sensation
Galaxy S2
Nexus prime
Android 4.0

They're doomed to failure. They've already come out with iOS 5, they need a new bigger splash screen. What are they going to talk about on Tuesday? This is pretty big in terms of investor interest, Steve Jobs steps down and all the team could come up with is... a rehashed phone from last year with a shitty antenna design?

If they come out with just the iPhone 4S, Apple stocks are gonna go tumbling.

Rumors are just rumors, they're clearly holding something close to their chest.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:33 PM   #34
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I think it's important to not overlook the "Let's talk iPhone" teaser.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:34 PM   #35
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Damn you and your cryptic innuendo!!!
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 09:39 PM   #36
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Yeah but competition was seriously stepped up. Are you seriously thinking that Apple, the company with a 400 dollar stock is going to go up and say "In a year, we've made the iPhone 4S, with just more ram and bigger screen"

They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot.
Apple's stock is not where it is because of how awesome their products are. Their stock is where it is because of the ability of Apple to move products over the past few years regardless of the actual quality of it.

Investors clearly believe that Apple will move millions of the new iPhone's regardless of the actual features. The new capacitive swipe home-button, the tapered design and all that are going to be touted as magical and innovative, Apple fans who don't use other products and don't know about the similar and much earlier implementation of the same from the competitors and will lap it up and the phones will continue to be purchased by the flocks.

In the office, I have had several conversations with fellow iPhone users at work. I am pretty much burnt out on my iPhone 4. It's not so much the actual hard-ware, which I think still looks awesome and works perfectly for my needs. No, it is more to do with the lack of innovation on the OS front. WinMo and Android are so far ahead of what is offered to the end-user, it's sad. But, that hasn't dissuaded most of my colleagues.

The iPhone came out, it wasn't bad but it was severly limited. The iPhone 3G was a bigger step up, but it was just minor revisions, the antennae was the only big news and even there it was just meeting the standards set by the competition. The OS was bigger news. The iPhone3GS likewise had minimal improvements.

Only with the iPhone 4 did we see a bigger improvement on the product, but most of it was limited to the screen (which at the time was better than the competition) and implementation of a camera with flash. Since the original iPhone came out, how many massive leaps have there been in the actual product?

FINALLY, several years after the original, we are likely to see a larger screen. And perhaps some other minor things to catch up to the competition. We'll find out in a couple of days just how amazing and magical the product is, but I am not holding my breath. The phone is so far behind the competition, it will need to hit it out of the ballpark to be considered a leap forward.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:06 PM   #37
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Apple's stock is not where it is because of how awesome their products are. Their stock is where it is because of the ability of Apple to move products over the past few years regardless of the actual quality of it.
Apple products are always well received and some of us have been repeat Apple customers with few (if any) quality problems.

However, Apple, like Germany, look better than than many simply because everyone else is doing worse. It's easy to gain marketshare in the PC space if Apple is competing against cheap mass-produced undifferentiated crap pushed out the door.

Apple seems to be at that right place at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The phone is so far behind the competition, it will need to hit it out of the ballpark to be considered a leap forward.
...and yet they ONLY sell 1,000,000+ units on the first day. Some of their competitors can only DREAM of something like that.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Oct 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:17 PM   #38
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Apple products are always well received and some of us have been repeat Apple customers with few (if any) quality problems.
The same problems I have right now? With the proximity sensor? The same one that Steve Jobs promised would be fixed a year ago and never was? If the same kinds of problems exist with other products, people change them.

If it happens with an Apple product, most users just ignore it for the privledge of use. You're comparing apples to oranges, no pun intended.

Quote:
However, Apple, like Germany, look better than than many simply because everyone else is doing worse. It's easy to gain marketshare in the PC space if Apple is competing against cheap mass-produced undifferentiated crap pushed out the door.
I don't get the Germany reference, but there are different markets out there, non-monopolized of-course. Boutique manufacturers maintain quality the same or better than Apple's. You also have lower-priced products that obviously will have more inexpensive stuff. Again, apples to oranges.

Quote:
Apple seems to be at that right place at the right time.
They have had some good products, i.e. iPod and iPhone/iPad. There is no question. But as with everything, there are other products on the market that existed before and are out there now that offer a lot more for less.

Quote:
...and yet they ONLY sell 1,000,000+ units on the first day. Some of their competitors can only DREAM of something like that.
Sales != quality. The iPhone is behind the times and needs a serious refresh, both on the hardware and on the operating system, ESPECIALLY the operating system. I have heard a lot about the hardware and it is well and good because Apple's refresh cycle leaves them behind the curve a lot of the time. But, I haven't heard much on the OS front and that has been the biggest disappointment. WinMo and Android have both pushed their OS's way ahead of the curve, Apple hopefully will at least catch back up.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:54 PM   #39
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Why?? What the hell is a quad core going to do that a single core on a frigging CELLPHONE isn't already doing?

I've used Nexus S and the HTC Sensation. I see no difference in performance. In fact HTC actually runs a bit slower.
i think it is due to the fact that we are only running on a 2.2 or 2.3 system

once we get 4.0 which enable hardware accerlation on everthing.

you will see a huge difference.

and wihtout the dual core or quad core.. you wont' be able to see youtube 1080p smoothly
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 01:19 AM   #40
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Wish they slim down the design w/ iPhone 5. iPhone 4 looks like a fat-a** compared to Galaxy S2.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 04:20 AM   #41
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Wish they slim down the design w/ iPhone 5. iPhone 4 looks like a fat-a** compared to Galaxy S2.
galaxy s 2 is just one special device, really no other highend oone is as thin and as light.

Old Oct 3, 2011, 06:06 AM   #42
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

BBA is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Hmmm....I have a 'few' apple products with quality problems.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 06:07 AM   #43
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

BBA is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
galaxy s 2 is just one special device, really no other highend oone is as thin and as light.
I played with a Galaxy S2 on a trip out of town this weekend...that is one awesome phone. I may have to buy one for myself.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:39 AM   #44
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It'll be interesting to see what else is announced at the event. Rumors is that Facebook will be there presenting some new stuff for their apps.

If any of these cell makers wanted to do some real damage, they would go ahead and buy Kodak (how on earth are they still in business???) and put those lame brains out of their misery. They should easily go for a billion in chump change for Apple or Google.

Last edited by Razeus : Oct 3, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 02:45 PM   #45
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'm starting to wonder why Apple is not going all out for this event. It has me worried.

When I first so the event art, "Let's talk iPhone", it sounded like a matter of fact, let's set the record straight type of deal. Something serious, but nothing to bust a nut about, like their usual events.

Being that they didn't bother to rent out a nice big place to hold it, and instead do the event on Apple campus just screams something is up. Now I'm hearing they aren't even going to live stream it, as it has become their custom to do so.

Maybe they don't want to over hype it. Maybe there won't be an iPhone at all this year.

Seriously, wtf is this crap:

Old Oct 3, 2011, 02:46 PM   #46
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Why would they bother having an event at all if they weren't going to announce an iPhone? All that would do is piss off your customers.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 02:50 PM   #47
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamar View Post
Why would they bother having an event at all if they weren't going to announce an iPhone? All that would do is piss off your customers.
Well I'm sure they'll announce it. But they sure are being nonchalant about this.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 02:54 PM   #48
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i think it is due to the fact that we are only running on a 2.2 or 2.3 system

once we get 4.0 which enable hardware accerlation on everthing.

you will see a huge difference.

and wihtout the dual core or quad core.. you wont' be able to see youtube 1080p smoothly
What the hell do I need 1080p for on a 720p screen? That's absolutely useless and bonkers.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 02:55 PM   #49
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Steve Jobs left. That's what happened Raz.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:02 PM   #50
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Steve Jobs left. That's what happened Raz.
I guess I'm having a hard time coming to grips with it all.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:13 PM   #51
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
What the hell do I need 1080p for on a 720p screen? That's absolutely useless and bonkers.
i use my phone with hdmi out at night and i like the fact that it can play 720p video smoothy so 1080 will even be beteer

and if you have a android tablet, you will see 1080p does look better than 720p vidoe on youtube even with the tablet 1280 x 800 display, but those tegra 2 gpu just doesn't play it smoothly.

so even if it is only on a 720p display the 1080p source will give you better image quality.

Last edited by wc326 : Oct 3, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:28 PM   #52
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

The iPhone really was a game changer when it came out. That is for sure. But, I believe they are doomed because of their initial success. Products are becoming repetitive, the OS isn't advancing. iOS on the iPhone is no different than the iPad, or iPod. It is the same across every device.

Ok, so let's say the make the phone bigger. To me, it's still going to be more of the same.

Now that iOS will be on other carriers we'll start seeing the fragmentation issue that people like to say plagues Android.

iPhone 5 or 4S (whatever) will be strong in the first month but after that it will settle.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:58 PM   #53
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

And the rumor of the day award goes to...

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/sprint...5-exclusively/
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Oct 3, 2011, 04:22 PM   #54
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

WSJ seems to be reporting it...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

So basically Sprint goes from being rumored to get iPhone 5 to Sprint rumored to get ALL of them.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 3, 2011, 04:42 PM   #55
huskylord
Load Management

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

They're going ALL IN!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 05:48 PM   #56
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Nobody buys, Sprint collapses
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 06:09 PM   #57
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
looking at pics of the cases coming out for it, certainly looks like they slimmed it down a good bit
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 06:21 PM   #58
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Nobody buys, Sprint collapses
That wouldn't be a good thing for Apple so I don't think it's gonna happen We've already seen the sheep switch carriers for the iPhone!
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:10 PM   #59
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Guess we find out tomorrow...
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:00 PM   #60
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
MOAR POWERS!!!!
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote