Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:09 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

i wish i took the plunge on it sunday morning, i had the money on the US bank but i had to order something else for a friend, i could have probably deposited back on monday and he wouldnt have noticed
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:35 PM   #122
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's a shame. WebOS totally trumps Android. It also come close to surpassing the iOS experience as well.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:20 PM   #123
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
It's a shame. WebOS totally trumps Android. It also come close to surpassing the iOS experience as well.
no way dude, having had the Pre as my first true smartphone and abandoning that pos for Android, there's nothing WebOS does that trumps Android.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:05 PM   #124
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I've tried using the demo units in different stores on multiple occasions. Each time I would inevitably lock the TP up by using multiple tabs, opening too many things at once or just trying to get out of the app tray. It is SUPER laggy when it comes to opening programs and doing certain tasks. In some other areas, usually once something has been loaded for a long time, it's very fast albeit with a hint of response lag. Performance is generally inconsistent and unacceptable.

Add to that dead platform and ecosystem. *shrugs*
I get that people have tried them in stores and had problems. However actual owners seem happy so there might be some difference. Perhaps the in store demos have been screwed up by idiot or malicious users somehow.

If I went by the performance of in store units for laptops I would probably think all PC laptops sucked big time. However I know those computers are used and abused so instead I go by user feedback for judging performance and stability.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:09 PM   #125
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
^
the app store OS the capitalism at it's best. Some will make. Many won't. Very few hold mist of the dollars.

Yes the tablets had those apps, bit the price was a barrier. iPad is perceived to be the better device. Even android phone owners are opting for the iPad over the android tablet.
LOL...

What is up with all those typos? Sent from your iphone maybe?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:12 PM   #126
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
LOL...

What is up with all those typos? Sent from your iphone maybe?
lol. yep.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:29 PM   #127
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
no way dude, having had the Pre as my first true smartphone and abandoning that pos for Android, there's nothing WebOS does that trumps Android.
WebOS doesn't look like an X11 window manager from the 1990s rehashed and grafted onto a phone, that's a huge plus.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:39 PM   #128
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
WebOS doesn't look like an X11 window manager from the 1990s rehashed and grafted onto a phone, that's a huge plus.
Is that what you're likening iOS to?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:40 PM   #129
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Is that what you're likening iOS to?
No, the various screenshots of Android devices.

Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:44 PM   #130
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
No, the various screenshots of Android devices.
How does iOS differentiate from this comparison you're making? And how is this comparison valid if you're not basing it on actually using an Android phone, instead relying on some unknown screenshots?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:56 PM   #131
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

If this is to be an Android vs iOs debate, my key issue with Android is this:

The touch lags. You can say as much as you want that it doesn't but going from iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S 2 is terrible. The bigger screen sure, but the touch screen lags and is inaccurate. That alone completely destroys the experience for me. It makes the phone feel cheap and not worthy of the praise given.

Going back to the iPhone 4, browsing websites (just text based like reddit) feel so smooth and fluid its as if I'm moving it on a piece of paper.

I hope they seriously figure that one out with Android 4.0
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:05 PM   #132
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
How does iOS differentiate from this comparison you're making? And how is this comparison valid if you're not basing it on actually using an Android phone, instead relying on some unknown screenshots?
Because the iOS interface is a lot more polished and less amateurish-looking, which is why I brought up the geeky nature of early X11 window managers. There were some truly awful ones in the early and mid-1990s.

Apple knows when NOT to add things, while others cannot resist the temptation to add and add and add some more. How many people really need or care to have widgets on their home screen? It's also the reason why the TouchPad/webOS platform looked and operated in a much more appealing manner than the Android tablets one aisle over at Staples.

Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:27 PM   #133
LimeyGeeza
Get down with da sickness

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well it doesn't look like anywhere local to me has any of these left, missed the boat on this one I guess, tried Futureshop, The Source, London Drugs and Staples...all gone and every one of them are saying they are not getting anymore shipped to them.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:27 PM   #134
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This just in:
Different people like different operating systems!

Can we not turn this thread into one of the other hundred threads about how android is better then ios or ios is better then android.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:44 PM   #135
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Woohoo... Best Buy sent me my tracking info... $100 tablet is as good as mine.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:47 PM   #136
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
If this is to be an Android vs iOs debate, my key issue with Android is this:

The touch lags. You can say as much as you want that it doesn't but going from iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S 2 is terrible. The bigger screen sure, but the touch screen lags and is inaccurate. That alone completely destroys the experience for me. It makes the phone feel cheap and not worthy of the praise given.

Going back to the iPhone 4, browsing websites (just text based like reddit) feel so smooth and fluid its as if I'm moving it on a piece of paper.

I hope they seriously figure that one out with Android 4.0
Ice Cream Sandwich brings UI hardware acceleration to the phones. If you've ever used Honeycomb 3.1 or 3.2 on the Xoom you'll know the lag you talked about doesn't exist.

Touch being inaccurate is entirely on Samsung, I've done multitouch tester on my Xoom, 10 independent touch points track 100% accurately.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:48 PM   #137
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Because the iOS interface is a lot more polished and less amateurish-looking, which is why I brought up the geeky nature of early X11 window managers. There were some truly awful ones in the early and mid-1990s.

Apple knows when NOT to add things, while others cannot resist the temptation to add and add and add some more. How many people really need or care to have widgets on their home screen? It's also the reason why the TouchPad/webOS platform looked and operated in a much more appealing manner than the Android tablets one aisle over at Staples.
WebOS failed to get a foothold in phone format, looks like the people have spoken, they'll only buy the products when they're on fire sale.

I have 1 single widget, the Honeycomb clock widget. Having no widgets is always an option.

How many people jailbroke their iPhone to get lockscreen widgets? And let's be real here, Apple hasn't evolved the UI since 2007. You think it works, I think it looks and feels dated, Android(Honeycomb specifically) is way ahead of it. I'm still wanting to know how many Android devices you've ever actually used, my guess is you haven't.

Last edited by Elysian : Aug 23, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:54 PM   #138
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Received my cancellation notice. I'm a sad panda.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:55 PM   #139
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyGeeza View Post
Well it doesn't look like anywhere local to me has any of these left, missed the boat on this one I guess, tried Futureshop, The Source, London Drugs and Staples...all gone and every one of them are saying they are not getting anymore shipped to them.

Ya I went around today again and its the same story. Im keeping an eye on HP.ca for now. If they are getting back tons of tablets from their retailers they will be the last place to firesale them. I cant believe they would crush them vs selling them even if only for 150$.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:04 PM   #140
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I get that people have tried them in stores and had problems. However actual owners seem happy so there might be some difference. Perhaps the in store demos have been screwed up by idiot or malicious users somehow.

If I went by the performance of in store units for laptops I would probably think all PC laptops sucked big time. However I know those computers are used and abused so instead I go by user feedback for judging performance and stability.
The difference being there's not much a user can do to screw up a touchpad. You can install all sorts of crapware to a PC or laptop, you can't even get apps on the TP without setting up a webOS store account (cc info and everything) and there's no sideloading. You can't muck around with system files, you really can't do anything besides open the app tray and launch apps.

The performance issues I'm talking about are the same on ALL the touchpads I've demo'd, and some of them have been touched upon by pro reviews as well. The person who buys one for $100 may very well rationalize being able to live with such issue and not say much about it, but it doesn't mean the tablet is without issue.

Just ask any of the guys who bought one recently after a few days of use, I'm sure they'll report the same.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:07 PM   #141
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
The difference being there's not much a user can do to screw up a touchpad. You can install all sorts of crapware to a PC or laptop, you can't even get apps on the TP without setting up a webOS store account (cc info and everything) and there's no sideloading. You can't muck around with system files, you really can't do anything besides open the app tray and launch apps.

The performance issues I'm talking about are the same on ALL the touchpads I've demo'd, and some of them have been touched upon by pro reviews as well. The person who buys one for $100 may very well rationalize being able to live with such issue and not say much about it, but it doesn't mean the tablet is without issue.

Just ask any of the guys who bought one recently after a few days of use, I'm sure they'll report the same.
http://preware.org/#/index/

You've always been able to sideload or load homebrew on WebOS, since the very very early days of the Pre. There's a link in the slickdeals thread on how to install it on the Touchpad. Could do all of the things you're talking about on my Pre, almost from day one. Hell we were overclocking almost from day one, without having to load a custom kernel.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:11 PM   #142
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I'm pretty sure not having internet access will prevent you from loading preware

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:16 PM   #143
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I'm pretty sure not having internet access will prevent you from loading preware
I must have missed that part of the conversation, where was that mentioned?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:19 PM   #144
Zero
Sass hole

Right above your previous post.

So you're telling me preware garbage was installed on all the touchpads I've played with (probably half a dozen in different stores) and is the cause of instability that is nowhere else to be found? Or are you just being pedantic and defending webOS's sideloading capability because it is / you are so awesome?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:21 PM   #145
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Right above your previous post.

So you're telling me preware garbage was installed on all the touchpads I've played with (probably half a dozen in different stores) and is the cause of instability that is nowhere else to be found? Or are you just being pedantic and defending webOS's sideloading capability because it is / you are so awesome?
Jesus you're argumentative. Sorry, I didn't read the post you were quoting, I just saw you say you couldn't sideload. Take your meds ffs.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:26 PM   #146
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Jesus you're argumentative. Sorry, I didn't read the post you were quoting, I just saw you say you couldn't sideload. Take your meds ffs.
irony.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:32 PM   #147
Zero
Sass hole

On a side note, there are so many morons and flip cons on craigslist buying and selling these things that it blows my mind. Like 3 days ago you didn't even know this thing existed, and now you're ready to fork out $200+ bones on something that's being taken off the market because it SUCKS.

I really don't get the world sometimes.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:35 PM   #148
LimeyGeeza
Get down with da sickness

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
On a side note, there are so many morons and flip cons on craigslist buying and selling these things that it blows my mind. Like 3 days ago you didn't even know this thing existed, and now you're ready to fork out $200+ bones on something that's being taken off the market because it SUCKS.

I really don't get the world sometimes.
Yeh I agree completely, personally I want one for an e-reader in bed and a web browser for in-front of the TV. $200+ is too much for that functionality for me, but $99-$149 is a deal.

HP.ca just says check with a 'retail re-seller' right now...not hopeful I am going to be able to get one.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:41 PM   #149
Zero
Sass hole

I dunno I kinda wanted to get one for the gf as an e-reader and browser but even at $99, it seemed like I'd be burning money on something buggy/unstable... But to each his own sense of value.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:43 PM   #150
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
irony.
Not really.