Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:20 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
You mean the flash used for the camera flashes?? That's not how BlackBerry works and that's just a huge waste of power.

There is a small indicator light on a BlackBerry that blinks. It's a low powered LED that barely draws any power. I can't imagine my flash going off everytime I get an email.
Doubt it be full power.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:56 PM   #212
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
You mean the flash used for the camera flashes?? That's not how BlackBerry works and that's just a huge waste of power.

There is a small indicator light on a BlackBerry that blinks. It's a low powered LED that barely draws any power. I can't imagine my flash going off everytime I get an email.
It's a neat idea given what they had to work with.

I figure you could make it only flash when the orientation is screen-down or the front light-sensor is occluded to save batteries.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:00 PM   #213
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
All I know is that no one bought a Windows tablet, nor talked about them, nor wanted them. iPad is a whole new category of computing device that everyone was trying to copy these days.
They where. However, they where viewed as tools for the work place. They where as expensive, or more so, than their laptop counter parts as well. Putting them outside the reach of the casual consumer (under $1000).

Apple took the slate styled tablet and made it a lower power, arguably less functional, consumer device. Which is fine, but Apple neither started it, nor did the best version of a tablet. They simply made a slicker version of what was already there and marketed it to a different audience that wasn't really targeted by tablets before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
thats false..
Doctors at the swedish hospitals here are using it. And they love it, they would kill us if we said we will take it away from them.
Quote:
iPad is a great tool for hospitals. I believe a few hospitals here in Toronto are starting to try it out. Getting patient charts by simply looking it up on your iPad is much easier than leaving them at their bed side. My friend works and and says it's a really huge improvement over hand written stuff that needs to be checked and double checked over and over with lots of potential for mistakes.

It is. But this was already happening with Tablet PCs around the world long before iPads came about.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:20 AM   #214
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
thats false..
Doctors at the swedish hospitals here are using it. And they love it, they would kill us if we said we will take it away from them.
No it's not, it's still a toy.

Just because you can pull up charts on it, it doesn't make it any less of a toy or any more of a productivity tool -- it's just a glorified image/doc viewer.

No engineering programs (CAD, MATLAB, PSPICE)
No powerful and meaningful Office suite (who in the heck would even waste their time trying to type on that thing)
No Adobe programs (CS5 suite for example)
No Video Editing programs on the scale of Vegas, Premiere, etc
No Audio Editing programs on the scale of Cool Edit Pro, Audition, etc.
No 3D content creation programs a la 3DSMax, Lightwave, Maya, etc
Lack of Inputs (HDMI, USB, Audio ports)

The list goes on and on and on.

It's a toy first and foremost with productivity coming in as a long afterthought.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:00 AM   #215
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post

Just because you can pull up charts on it, it doesn't make it any less of a toy or any more of a productivity tool -- it's just a glorified image/doc viewer.

No powerful and meaningful Office suite (who in the heck would even waste their time trying to type on that thing)

It's a toy first and foremost with productivity coming in as a long afterthought.
And you, instead of using the desktop/notebook PC, would require a touch-based tablet to be able to do all those things why?
globalist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:22 PM   #216
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

Wow. Talk about reaching. If you want all out productivity and production, that's what desktops and some laptops are for. You truly don't understand where tablets come into play.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:33 PM   #217
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

We use ipads at a nuke plant..just because they don't have all the apps you use (not everyone needs cad, av editing, and 3d content creation tools btw) doesn't mean other industries haven't found productive uses for them. The one I use at home is strictly a toy however lol.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:40 PM   #218
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:

I imagine there's entry involved as well.

Quote:

MATLAB and many CAD programs are on the app store. Office work is doable as even members here have reported writing full papers on it, I can edit docs, powerpoints and edit project files with iOS apps like quickoffice, docs2go, sg project, etc. Video editing can be done on-device with iMovie. Here's something shot entirely on iPhone4 and edited with the same iMovie app found on the iPad: http://vimeo.com/12819723?utm_source...ots+%28Argo%29

App selection allows you to be productive in everyday usage as well, managing tasks, inventory, activity logging, functioning as a CRM, remote client, and more.

I think that's a pretty productive tool even if it doesn't fit your rather narrow definition.

And your posting style is totally hamidxa's...

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:47 PM   #219
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Wow. Talk about reaching. If you want all out productivity and production, that's what desktops and some laptops are for. You truly don't understand where tablets come into play.
Should bookmark this quote for next time you bring up productivity on tablets. You're like the bible, contradicting yourself all over the place.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:00 PM   #220
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I imagine there's entry involved as well.

MATLAB and many CAD programs are on the app store. Office work is doable as even members here have reported writing full papers on it, I can edit docs, powerpoints and edit project files with iOS apps like quickoffice, docs2go, sg project, etc. Video editing can be done on-device with iMovie. Here's something shot entirely on iPhone4 and edited with the same iMovie app found on the iPad: http://vimeo.com/12819723?utm_source...ots+%28Argo%29

App selection allows you to be productive in everyday usage as well, managing tasks, inventory, activity logging, functioning as a CRM, remote client, and more.

I think that's a pretty productive tool even if it doesn't fit your rather narrow definition.

And your posting style is totally hamidxa's...
Half-assed, stripped, and crippled alternatives/editions/solutions don't count.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:15 PM   #221
Zero
Sass hole

According to you. Not everyone or every situation follows your requirements of "productivity".

In my line of work, it would be good enough for me to monitor projects, edit documents, use a remote client for troubleshooting, CRM integration, email, contact and appointment management, minor code review and so on. For general office work s well, it's a very productive, mobile solution.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Jun 8, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:18 PM   #222
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Is it that hard to understand that alot of industries use this toy in productive ways? Probably alot of industries use other tablets as well, woohoo. I don't understand why it is so hard to understand that a 500 dollar tablet won't run applications designed for workstations that cost alot more, yet it will run stuff that can enhance productivity nonetheless. I have a calculator that wont run softimage xsi, but I still use it everyday, but then again I am a calculator fanboy.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:35 PM   #223
Zero
Sass hole

http://www.apple.com/ca/ipad/business/profiles/

Obviously PR but it gives you an idea of how it can be used.

Awaits being called an apologist

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:23 PM   #224
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Ignorance is bliss.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:25 PM   #225
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Someone is moderating the **** out of this thread, or a lot of people are deleting their posts.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:33 PM   #226
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Someone is moderating the **** out of this thread, or a lot of people are deleting their posts.
Oh I wrote a few posts but realized they weren't being useful or replied to stuff 4-5 pages back so I deleted them.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:46 PM   #227
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

They can fill a very nice niche in the office. Especially since they can be allot cheaper than most full fledged Tablet PCs(1st gen pads can be had for under $500 bux).

Where I personally tend to get a little annoyed is when people go on about something without knowing the history that lead up to it. Or praising Apple for things that are just not as impressive or innovative as people might think.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:11 PM   #228
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

If we are going to really bring back the tablet PC, they need to also bring the stylus back.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:36 PM   #229
Zero
Sass hole

The point of the stylus was to compensate for a small-type UI and/or inaccurate digitizers. Since we've come a long way since then, I see no reason to bring back the stylus, imo that'd be a step backwards.

Win8 has the right idea for their touch interface, tiles and full-screen apps that are sized to human fingers. Same thing can be done on iOS, in fact it's done great things with the iPhone touch interface make it work on a smaller screen already.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:53 PM   #230
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

I'm not convinced that the stylus is dead. The touch UI has kinda been molded around your finger, everything you touch is big enough for the finger to touch or been made easier to access (like putting the cursor inside text). Areas like that are where a stylus can really be useful.

I'm a CAD guy and if I would much rather use a stylus on AutoCAD rather than trying to peck at the toolbar or menu bar to try and perform a command. On the go editing wouldn't be dumbed down to a reader application and I would have access to the full application.

Last edited by shoman24v : Jun 8, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:38 PM   #231
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
The point of the stylus was to compensate for a small-type UI and/or inaccurate digitizers. Since we've come a long way since then, I see no reason to bring back the stylus, imo that'd be a step backwards.

Win8 has the right idea for their touch interface, tiles and full-screen apps that are sized to human fingers. Same thing can be done on iOS, in fact it's done great things with the iPhone touch interface make it work on a smaller screen already.
Stylus is more accurate than fingers. If tablets ever want to have decent productivity then the stylus will have to come back, it's just better for certain things.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:48 PM   #232
Zero
Sass hole

For task-specific accuracy needs, a stylus makes sense. For general usage as a mouse-like pointer, it doesn't. My point is, a stylus should be a peripheral the same way we use design tablets for PCs, not the main way we navigate, enter text etc.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:14 PM   #233
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

We're going the way of Star Trek. Apple will continue to shove the iPad down consumers throats, but if you notice in Star Trek, Picard always used a touch "padd" while Doctor Crusher used a stylus for her more advanced usages.

There are uses for everything and iPad just need to work to everything. It works for what it's built for, a media consumption engine.

When iPads become powerful enough, ie a Core i7 kind of processor inside the same TDP of a A5, we'll see the need for different types of input devices.

Eventually though, the iPad will become a ubiquitous computing element similar to the Nintendo WiiU controller. It'll simply be a screen. You will have a Mac Mini or Apple TV type device that houses a Core i7 speed processor or something much faster that requires little or no power / heat dissipation

Last edited by VVanks : Jun 8, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:52 PM   #234
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
We're going the way of Star Trek. Apple will continue to shove the iPad down consumers throats, but if you notice in Star Trek, Picard always used a touch "padd" while Doctor Crusher used a stylus for her more advanced usages.

There are uses for everything and iPad just need to work to everything. It works for what it's built for, a media consumption engine.

When iPads become powerful enough, ie a Core i7 kind of processor inside the same TDP of a A5, we'll see the need for different types of input devices.

Eventually though, the iPad will become a ubiquitous computing element similar to the Nintendo WiiU controller. It'll simply be a screen. You will have a Mac Mini or Apple TV type device that houses a Core i7 speed processor or something much faster that requires little or no power / heat dissipation
Should check out the nVidia Kal El reference design demo video. ARM based quad core tablet with desktop quality graphics, Lost Planet 2 was ported to it and looks fantastic. Kal El coming to tablets this Christmas.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:20 PM   #235
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Not sure what I'll do with iCoud. As far as my email, contacts and calendar, that's handled quite well with Google (I prefer iCal for calendaring, but it's Google support is weak). And with Exchange, my iDevice sync is a sync. I'm not about to change email addresses. Documents might work well. I use Dropbox mostly. Especially when I need my Office format docs for work. Hopefully there's not some requirement that it was to be iWork format docs. No mention if this documents only or any kind of file I want to store. The iTunes Match will be nice though. Shame it'll only "stream" to iDevices.

Last edited by Razeus : Jun 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:54 AM   #236
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Should check out the nVidia Kal El reference design demo video. ARM based quad core tablet with desktop quality graphics, Lost Planet 2 was ported to it and looks fantastic. Kal El coming to tablets this Christmas.
Those are great, but I'm looking far down the line. A playstation 3 in a phone. That's already done too in the Vita pretty much.

Now imagine your gaming computers in the form of a phone. I can't wait.