Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:25 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Kind of was hoping to see some iPad specific features. I'm still trying to see if iTunes Match has a cap of 20k.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:30 PM   #122
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
And that's not giving it to you? Available any time? Your logic is flawed.
Most of my friends don't even have iTunes, they simply stream from youtube. Most don't even bother to buy DVDs, they just stream from netflix. Most don't even bother to rapidshare tvshows, they just watch them on hulu. Should I keep going?

What's your problem? Go outside, the world is changing very quickly.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:33 PM   #123
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Most of my friends don't even have iTunes, they simply stream from youtube. Most don't even bother to buy DVDs, they just stream from netflix. Most don't even bother to rapidshare tvshows, they just watch them on hulu. Should I keep going?

What's your problem? Go outside, the world is changing very quickly.
Don't worry about him. He's seems to have disappeared from this thread since the iTunes Match announcement, making him look very foolish.

I'm sure he's sulking in a corner somewhere, thumb in mouth, perhaps considering dumping his Android so that iCloud will run flawlessly on his iPad 2.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:34 PM   #124
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I really want to know what the cap is. Somehow I don't see Apple offering unlimited cloud storage for $25/yr.
I am pretty sure it said 5GB, which probably holds any unmatched music as well.

I don't see a cap for matched music though, since your not technically storing anything. It's actually a great de-duplication storage scheme.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:38 PM   #125
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
I am pretty sure it said 5GB, which probably holds any unmatched music as well.

I don't see a cap for matched music though, since your not technically storing anything. It's actually a great de-duplication storage scheme.
Purchased iTunes music doesn't count toward the 5GB cap. The scan and match iTunes for non-iTunes music doesn't count either and that's why you're paying the $25 a month.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:39 PM   #126
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Found it. The limit is 25k songs.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Small print for #2 at the bottom of page.

Quote:
Requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac computer with OS X Lion or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 recommended). Limit 25,000 songs. iTunes purchases do not count against limit.
Don't know why I didn't think to look their in the first place.

Last edited by Razeus : Jun 6, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:40 PM   #127
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

I'm relatively surprised at the announcements today, very uncharacteristic of Apple. They are starting to position themselves are Google, the people who are truely out to do good for the world.

The original Apple were the rich, expensive super car manufacturers who innovated and created a whole different industry aimed for rich people and fanboys.

The new Apple seems to be more humanistic, aiming to simplify things for people while not denting their wallets. They know their revenue stream is from iPods, iPhone and iPads, and that seems to be what people really want, not the software.

Either Jobs has gotten a lot more sensibility now that his mortality is apparent to him or Apple is turning over a new leaf.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:42 PM   #128
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I'm relatively surprised at the announcements today, very uncharacteristic of Apple. They are starting to position themselves are Google, the people who are truely out to do good for the world.

The original Apple were the rich, expensive super car manufacturers who innovated and created a whole different industry aimed for rich people and fanboys.

The new Apple seems to be more humanistic, aiming to simplify things for people while not denting their wallets. They know their revenue stream is from iPods, iPhone and iPads, and that seems to be what people really want, not the software.

Either Jobs has gotten a lot more sensibility now that his mortality is apparent to him or Apple is turning over a new leaf.
I've always said that Apple pricing was reasonable. Especially with the Macs, compared to the hardware, software and service you receive. If I have to pay an extra $300 for that piece of mind, so be it.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:42 PM   #129
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Small print for #2 at the bottom of page.
25,000 songs is more than enough, I consider myself a "song collector" and I only have around 8000 songs. Out of every single person I know, only another person I know has about 10,000 songs while a vast majority (probably 99 out of 100 people) have only under 1,000 songs.

Furthermore, even on campus, when we had file sharing software, it was always that one guy with hundreds of thousands of songs that I leeched off. Otherwise i wouldn't have a lot of songs either. So this is a very mute point.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:43 PM   #130
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
25,000 songs is more than enough, I consider myself a "song collector" and I only have around 8000 songs. Out of every single person I know, only another person I know has about 10,000 songs while a vast majority (probably 99 out of 100 people) have only under 1,000 songs.

Furthermore, even on campus, when we had file sharing software, it was always that one guy with hundreds of thousands of songs that I leeched off. Otherwise i wouldn't have a lot of songs either. So this is a very mute point.
Ya, I'm well over that 25k limit. But alot of it is more of "just to have". I'm sure I can do much culling. I don't even listen to Metallica.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:48 PM   #131
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

And here I thought it was about dumbing down technology for dumb people...
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:53 PM   #132
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
Meh, most people aren't dumb. The individual is pretty smart. Everyone experiences and learns different things, computer is just one facet of a society's life, for must of us, sometimes it's ALL we do and therefore we think we're super smart in this area.

My gf just introduced me to the world of cosmetics. As gay as that sounds, wtf do you know about cosmetics? And what do you recommend I get for her birthday? Exactly right? I have no clue, and I don't want to learn.

We're all dumb in certain areas.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:57 PM   #133
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
Don't confuse dumbing down with simplifying usability.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:00 PM   #134
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

The first bit of iCloud is up and running.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/...tent-listings/

Quote:
Automatic downloads allow users to set preferences to have newly-purchased content such as music, apps, and books automatically pushed to other devices. Users have individual control over the three different media types and can also specify whether or not content pushing should be limited to Wi-Fi connections only in order to save cellular bandwidth. Settings are available within the "Store" menu of the Settings application in iOS 4.3.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:09 PM   #135
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Don't confuse dumbing down with simplifying usability.
Whatever helps you get through the day, right?
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:10 PM   #136
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Still holding out hope that Sprint and Apple will come to some sort of agreement this year...
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:14 PM   #137
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Well FML, I am hovering at just over 90,000. Looks like I will just have to match my top 25k

Though really, most of that I haven't touched in ages, my current 256kbps rips is actually around 20k.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:15 PM   #138
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Don't worry about him. He's seems to have disappeared from this thread since the iTunes Match announcement, making him look very foolish.

I'm sure he's sulking in a corner somewhere, thumb in mouth, perhaps considering dumping his Android so that iCloud will run flawlessly on his iPad 2.
Best troll.

I'm actually at the bar enjoying a tasty tasty Bellehaven Scottish Stout.

Notice I took that picture with my Xoom, with its 5mpixel camera, something you won't find on the iPad 2. You see, I have a life outside of Apple threads and don't need to fulfill myself fellating my mobile device OS gods at all times, I've got much better, more fulfilling things to do. Enjoy your mediocre updates, iOS has finally caught up to features I've come to enjoy as standard. Late!
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:16 PM   #139
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

You bought a ****ing tablet to a bar? Must pick up those ladies real fast.

My 3MP camera on my blackberry will the same thing except I won't look dorky or stupid.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:18 PM   #140
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Starbucks... bar... same thing.

Anyway, todays announcement was a bunch of meh... nothing really interesting at all.

Like I said before, Ill still be jailbreaking and using lockinfo and an updated version of it when it comes out. That notification system is butt fcking ugly.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:20 PM   #141
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Starbucks... bar... same thing.

Anyway, todays announcement was a bunch of meh... nothing really interesting at all.

Like I said before, Ill still be jailbreaking and using lockinfo and an updated version of it when it comes out. That notification system is butt fcking ugly.
Yeah their graphics designer seems to have been sleeping on the job or something. It does look fugly.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:27 PM   #142
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Best troll.

I'm actually at the bar enjoying a tasty tasty Bellehaven Scottish Stout.

Notice I took that picture with my Xoom, with its 5mpixel camera, something you won't find on the iPad 2. You see, I have a life outside of Apple threads and don't need to fulfill myself fellating my mobile device OS gods at all times, I've got much better, more fulfilling things to do. Enjoy your mediocre updates, iOS has finally caught up to features I've come to enjoy as standard. Late!
But what iPad 2 has....

....are apps.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:28 PM   #143
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
You bought a ****ing tablet to a bar? Must pick up those ladies real fast.

My 3MP camera on my blackberry will the same thing except I won't look dorky or stupid.
I've seen Blackberry camera quality, it won't do the same thing. People here bring laptops and tablets, doesn't matter how 'dorky' you think it looks, it's pretty much the norm, especially since this bar has free wifi.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:31 PM   #144
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
But what iPad 2 has....

....are apps.
I've got 250-300k that work perfectly without pixel doubling and Honeycomb specific apps grow every day. What the iPad doesn't have is a higher resolution proper ratio screen, high quality camera sensor, oh and Android. Nope, I'm not interested in retardOS.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:32 PM   #145
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Underwhelmed!??!?!

They're giving you pretty much FREE songs (25 a YEAR? I spend more on food a day than that) on iTunes to match your entire music library, there's a FREE cloud service and their next gen OS is 30 bucks, that's half the price of an AAA grade game.

What more do you want?
Advancement in the OS UX, especially for tablets. As stated, I understand not changing the gazillion dollar golden egg, but at the same time, it's staaaaale!

Most of the reviewed iOS features are been-there-done-that in mobile, so I guess it's nice Apple is catching up. Making the device/cloud more seamless - that's a given, without or without Apple (no surprise they're first). Cloud storage? Amazon did that first months ago for music, and Dropbox has been around even longer (along with others). iTunes Match? No personal need for it as I have other solutions working for me - but I can see how others would be excited.

So, yes, underwhelmed. This is a personal statement, not meant to dismiss what others think/feel.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:34 PM   #146
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
Advancement in the OS UX, especially for tablets. As stated, I understand not changing the gazillion dollar golden egg, but at the same time, it's staaaaale!

Most of the reviewed iOS features are been-there-done-that in mobile, so I guess it's nice Apple is catching up. Making the device/cloud more seamless - that's a given, without or without Apple (no surprise they're first). Cloud storage? Amazon did that first months ago for music, and Dropbox has been around even longer (along with others). iTunes Match? No personal need for it as I have other solutions working for me - but I can see how others would be excited.

So, yes, underwhelmed. This is a personal statement, not meant to dismiss what others think/feel.
Seems that most of the editors on Engadget feel the same way you do, lots of mention of Android in their comments too.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:34 PM   #147
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
You see, I have a life outside of Apple threads and don't need to fulfill myself fellating my mobile device OS gods at all times, I've got much better, more fulfilling things to do.
So you fellating your xoom gods at a bar is more fulfilling than...? Also sitting a abar, crapping an Apple thread != having a life outside of Apple threads.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:41 PM   #148
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
But what iPad 2 has....

....are apps.
Doesn't the iPad have a camera as well? I seriously don't see his point. And seriously who the hell brings a laptop / tablet to a bar anyway? When there's alcohol involved, I'm fully interested in chatting with friends and chatting up women, not idling on R3D giving opinions on the latest WWDC.

Last edited by VVanks : Jun 6, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:47 PM   #149
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Doesn't the iPad have a camera as well? I seriously don't see his point. And seriously who the hell brings a laptop / tablet to a bar anyway? When there's alcohol involved, I'm fully interested in chatting with friends and chatting up women, not idling on R3D giving opinions on the latest WWDC.
I never do see his points, if there are any. 100k iPad apps vs 100 Android apps. No contest.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:50 PM   #150
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I never do see his points, if there are any. 100k iPad apps vs 100 Android apps. No contest.
Jesus, you are one of the dumbest posters on this entire forum

Quote:
You mean the 2mpixel pos its got?

I'm here with a somewhat nerdy friend of mine, he just showed me Minecraft magnets