Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Who is buying an iPad2 to make poorer appletards jelly?
This guy! 3 10.00%
That guy! 12 40.00%
I'm actually an appletard and I take offense but cannot resist the urge to vote. 1 3.33%
I can't. But make those appletards weep their bitter tears for those of us who can't. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:11 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Had one ordered as a gift for the wife for her birthday around 12:45am PST. Should show up within 2 weeks. There's no way in hell I'd ever stand in line at an Apple store.

I'll get to use it around the house (eventually!). If we can find some decent recipe software that can import something we can export from the PC it can replace the laptop in the kitchen to save counter space.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:39 PM   #182
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Well that was... an experience

Went to Best Buy early and learned they were not forming a line or anything but they had limited qtys and would be having some form of raffle with tickets. So I decided to make the trek into the dreaded Summit to go to the Apple store where I'd have a better chance to get one. Got there and holy Appletards Batman! Line was wrapped all around the shopping center with still an hour to go till 5.

Almost drove on by, but it was a long trip down there so I decided to give it till 5 to see how fast the line went. I got in the store at around 5:45 so it wasn't too bad actually. I also got on the news They had cameras out there covering the launch and I walked in frame for a second. They were on the freaking ball in the store, there was a salesperson assigned to each customer they let in and they were pumped up.

Anyways... Yeah, I got a 32gig white one with one of the new covers(which I do not like at all). It's pretty much the same as my other iPad but with a camera and a tad smaller. Pretty much just what I expected. Now my wife gets the old one and everybody's happy
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:06 PM   #183
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I think the way Apple stores handle launches of new items in their stores is down right creepy. They all stand at the door and clap as you come in... ughh. Just watching videos of that stuff makes me cringe.. lol.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:08 PM   #184
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Haha, yeah they did that before the doors opened. All the salespeople ran the whole length of the line hollering and cheering. Was a very strange experience. Lots of interesting people there too .
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:15 PM   #185
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

steve Ballmer would fit in quite well at an Apple launch
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:30 PM   #186
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
steve Ballmer would fit in quite well at an Apple launch
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!!!

....not so sure
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:30 AM   #187
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
Had one ordered as a gift for the wife for her birthday around 12:45am PST. Should show up within 2 weeks.
I went ahead and pre-ordered the best, sturdy, reasonably compact stand I know of (someone I know went through several stands before settling on this one... for the iPad 1). Hope it's as good as the one for the first iPad. It's for where the iPad will "live" when not out and about the house - on the kitchen counter.

Skadoosh

$70 pre-order

A MacBook Air would only have been an additional $300 - $400. I'm starting to wonder if that'd been a legit alternative considering how I'm bleeding money (something Apple excels at).

Last edited by vitocorleone : Mar 12, 2011 at 01:33 AM.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:56 PM   #188
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I think the way Apple stores handle launches of new items in their stores is down right creepy. They all stand at the door and clap as you come in... ughh. Just watching videos of that stuff makes me cringe.. lol.
You should be in the store when the clap / cheerfest is on. I went to the store to get my Ipad repaired (failed connector, wouldn't get picked up by the Mac or PC) and everytime someone brought a mac im guessing. Everyone in the store just started going ape scat, clapping and cheering. I even said to the guy at the genius bar that I thought it was pretty wanky. And he said "Naaaaah man they love it"

Im atm, on the fence regarding Ipad 2, I do want one though just for the speed. Its just the money atm, if I want to fork out for it. As I have some other stuff, id like to get also.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:07 PM   #189
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
You should be in the store when the clap / cheerfest is on. I went to the store to get my Ipad repaired (failed connector, wouldn't get picked up by the Mac or PC) and everytime someone brought a mac im guessing. Everyone in the store just started going ape scat, clapping and cheering. I even said to the guy at the genius bar that I thought it was pretty wanky. And he said "Naaaaah man they love it"

Im atm, on the fence regarding Ipad 2, I do want one though just for the speed. Its just the money atm, if I want to fork out for it. As I have some other stuff, id like to get also.
Yeah, Ill never try to be there on launch day for anything. If the new iPhone has the A5, I will get it but try and order it online.

As for the iPad2, I would just sell off the old one and make it pay for half of the new one.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:22 PM   #190
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yeah, Ill never try to be there on launch day for anything. If the new iPhone has the A5, I will get it but try and order it online.

As for the iPad2, I would just sell off the old one and make it pay for half of the new one.
Ill be getting the new iphone online, Im still on a 3GS. Still does the job, but a better screen and cpu would be awesome.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:29 PM   #191
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

What kinda got to me a little was that on release night, after standing in line for hours and finally getting the thing, on the way out the door the apple rep letting folks out said "congratulations!"... Not something like "thank you for your business" like you'd normally hear from a shop after making a large purchase, but what amounts to "congrats you had the privilege to give us 700 dollars! Lucky you! And you had to wait out in the cold 3 hours to give us all that money!".

I guess all the young hipsters and old hippies that flocked to the launch ate that **** up though. Happy to have their official seal of apple coolness fully endorsed. At least until it expires at the launch of their next product.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:28 PM   #192
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

I've thought of that, but considering that my Mac is currently the last generation supported by Lion, I think I will wait and replace my Mini with a new one after WWDC, one with Lion on it so I can save $129 bucks or whatever the upgrade would be.

iPad2, while nice, doesn't really offer me all that much more than my iPad. If I played games and had a hankerin' to run iMovie, I'd buy one.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:55 PM   #193
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I would rather game and watch movies in widescreen.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:26 PM   #194
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
I would rather game and watch movies in widescreen.
I have to say, I find the "need" to watch or game in widescreen to be a bit overrated. Streaming movies onto my iPad is just fine and 4:3 is much better for reading books anyways (which is what I do with mine most of the time anyways).

Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:31 PM   #195
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
I have to say, I find the "need" to watch or game in widescreen to be a bit overrated. Streaming movies onto my iPad is just fine and 4:3 is much better for reading books anyways (which is what I do with mine most of the time anyways).
Wouldn't widescreen be better for reading if you turned your ipad sideways? (if the ipad was widescreen)

It may be overrated to you. If I got a tablet for gaming and movies I see no benefit to 4:3 over widescreen.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:35 PM   #196
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Wouldn't widescreen be better for reading if you turned your ipad sideways? (if the ipad was widescreen)
Same goes for when I had to replace my old screen with a new 16:9 one. Rotating the screen 90 degrees was great when using Xcode or even Word, but on my new monitor, the rotation is unusable.

Quote:
It may be overrated to you. If I got a tablet for gaming and movies I see no benefit to 4:3 over widescreen.
Watching HD on iPad is fine. You have a black border around the device and so you'll have two black bars at the top and bottom of the film. You don't even notice it at all, especially in the dark.

One gripe I have with the iPad is the brightness. Even at the lowest setting it's still distracting for drivers when driving at night even when you are in the back of a minivan...

Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:42 PM   #197
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Same goes for when I had to replace my old screen with a new 16:9 one. Rotating the screen 90 degrees was great when using Xcode or even Word, but on my new monitor, the rotation is unusable.

Watching HD on iPad is fine. You have a black border around the device and so you'll have two black bars at the top and bottom of the film. You don't even notice it at all, especially in the dark.

One gripe I have with the iPad is the brightness. Even at the lowest setting it's still distracting for drivers when driving at night even when you are in the back of a minivan...
It seems like a waste of screen. Id rather have that filled with more movie or game. I wouldnt by a 4:3 laptop, monitor or TV. I see it as outdated. It is the main reason I do not own one.

I have no doubt people get used to it. I see no reason to try when its not the only option out there.

My original zune had the black bars and I couldnt stand it. The screen was small enough w/o the black bars.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:25 PM   #198
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

I've used my 16:10 Xoom for reading, its the same general dimensions as a page from most paperback books, I really don't see the issue.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:47 PM   #199
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For those that have an iPad 1 or 2, how much space it taken up by the OS and default stuff? I've got a 16GB reserved and I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money for the 32GB. I'll have a few movies, a couple gigs of music, and some apps. Thanks in advance.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:49 PM   #200
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

If it's anything like the iPhone, a 32GB device will have about 29GB free.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:27 AM   #201
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamar View Post
For those that have an iPad 1 or 2, how much space it taken up by the OS and default stuff? I've got a 16GB reserved and I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money for the 32GB. I'll have a few movies, a couple gigs of music, and some apps. Thanks in advance.
1GB for the OS. Plus factor in files that are in "temp" holds (noted as Other in iTunes). For example, updated apps go in this temp hold and then gets deleted to your computer's recycle bin when you sync up. 16GB is plenty of space.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:07 AM   #202
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
1GB for the OS. Plus factor in files that are in "temp" holds (noted as Other in iTunes). For example, updated apps go in this temp hold and then gets deleted to your computer's recycle bin when you sync up. 16GB is plenty of space.
my 32gb ipad has more than 16gb of its space used up and I have no videos or music on it.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:34 AM   #203
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nah, I'd get the iPad3 to make YOU jelly.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:26 AM   #204
Maze
Bazinga!

Maze is still being judged by the masses

Bought one yesterday. A black 16gb wifi. Love it! And it's a breeze to use after using android...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:33 AM   #205
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze View Post
Bought one yesterday. A black 16gb wifi. Love it! And it's a breeze to use after using android...
I brought one via the apple store online, but I got a email saying 3-4 weeks delivery. So I gotta wait. I have an Ipad so its ok, but I hardly get to use it as my sister steals it on me constantly.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:04 AM   #206
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Still haven't came up with a reason to upgrade, other than I want 3G service. I mostly use my IPad at home and school so I have access to wifi so it hasn't been an issue yet.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:24 AM   #207
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
Still haven't came up with a reason to upgrade, other than I want 3G service. I mostly use my IPad at home and school so I have access to wifi so it hasn't been an issue yet.
I bought the 3G model of the original iPad a month or two after it was released. Got it "just in case". I've only used 3G once, briefly. Not sure I'll get a 3G model the next time around.

It would help if it wasn't ridiculously expensive to get the 3G service running on it.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:00 AM   #208
Maze
Bazinga!

Maze is still being judged by the masses

Why a 3G model if there is tethering?