Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:04 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I watch Netflix on my iphone4 now and again, it works great and I have no issues with it. I prefer using the iPad for that sort of thing, but both devices can do it and I like changing things up now and again.
I watch Netfilx on my WP7 on my lunch break, although I have started to use Bitbop (fox's answer to hulu) and it streams much better then Netflix.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:20 AM   #32
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I suppose if someone wanted the "best" of both worlds they could buy a Nexus S and use the wifi hotspot feature to connect their wifi ipad or laptop.

Guess that is another thing the "all in one" iphone can't do.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 20, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:55 AM   #33
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I think you can USB/BT tether OOB and wifi tether if jailbroken. Why is this turning into yet another android vs iphone thread?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:05 AM   #34
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I suppose if someone wanted the "best" of both worlds they could buy a Nexus S and use the wifi hotspot feature to connect their wifi ipad or laptop.

Guess that is another thing the "all in one" iphone can't do.
That would negate the point of viewing it on you phone. A lot of people do not bring laptops to use around all day. If its a work laptop you could just watch hulu/netflix on that at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I think you can USB/BT tether OOB and wifi tether if jailbroken. Why is this turning into yet another android vs iphone thread?
Yup, you can tether OOB... not sure why he brought up a comparison to the iPhone. No need to tether or anything with the iPhone though cause it has dedicated apps for both hulu and netflix over 3G.

You might actually say iPhone is the best of both worlds cause you can do it on your phone and tether to the laptop, where as android your going to have to tether.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:41 AM   #35
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
That would negate the point of viewing it on you phone. A lot of people do not bring laptops to use around all day. If its a work laptop you could just watch hulu/netflix on that at work.

Yup, you can tether OOB... not sure why he brought up a comparison to the iPhone. No need to tether or anything with the iPhone though cause it has dedicated apps for both hulu and netflix over 3G.

You might actually say iPhone is the best of both worlds cause you can do it on your phone and tether to the laptop, where as android your going to have to tether.
If I was at work I wouldn't be watching netflix.

If you want to tether with the iphone you have to spend an extra $20 a month. On ATT you are also limited to 2GB/month for data. I can burn that just listening to Pandora. With tethering it would be gone in no time at all and you have to pay an extra fee for the privilege. I would much rather have the privilege of being able to connect to the internet on my laptop in the most extreme cases like being trapped in a hospital or a delayed flight and being able to listen to pandora as much as I want. At least while listening to pandora I can actually be productive.

It makes me sad that anyone would have a life so empty that Netflix is a must have feature on their cell phone. A device intended to help you connect with others instead being used to isolate yourself.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:57 AM   #36
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:

It makes me sad that anyone would have a life so empty that Netflix is a must have feature on their cell phone. A device intended to help you connect with others instead being used to isolate yourself.
You are completely off the mark.

It's obvious you hate iPhone, but this is just sad man.

Last edited by pahncrd : Jan 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:59 AM   #37
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:

If you want to tether with the iphone you have to spend an extra $20 a month. On ATT you are also limited to 2GB/month for data. I can burn that just listening to Pandora. With tethering it would be gone in no time at all and you have to pay an extra fee for the privilege. I would much rather have the privilege of being able to connect to the internet on my laptop in the most extreme cases like being trapped in a hospital or a delayed flight and being able to listen to pandora as much as I want. At least while listening to pandora I can actually be productive.

How is this any different on a Nexus S?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:09 PM   #38
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:

Someone mentioned using netflix on their work break... thats why I said that. Also, a quick google says that verizon and sprint charge for their official tethering just like ATT. Of course you can root and get it for free... but you can dot he same on ATT iPhone as well.

As for as data allowance, ATT did away with it.. Im sure in time the other companies will too in time.. I still have my unlimited plan on ATT though. But if you get the iPhone with verizon that limitation is gone. You can tether(for a fee) and have unlimited data to listen to pandora all you want.

Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:13 PM   #39
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
How is this any different on a Nexus S?
The Nexus S provides hotspot functionality without additional charge.

Quote:
Someone mentioned using netflix on their work break... thats why I said that. Also, a quick google says that verizon and sprint charge for their official tethering just like ATT. Of course you can root and get it for free... but you can dot he same on ATT iPhone as well.

As for as data allowance, ATT did away with it.. Im sure in time the other companies will too in time.. I still have my unlimited plan on ATT though. But if you get the iPhone with verizon that limitation is gone. You can tether(for a fee) and have unlimited data to listen to pandora all you want.
You don't have to root a Nexus S to get the functionality.

As far as I know T-Mobile doesn't have a data cap (they throttle after 5GB). ATT on the other hand makes you choose between a 250MB and 2GB limit after which they start charging extra. For 2GB its $10 for each additional 1GB. Considering my data plan with T-mobile only costs 20$/phone (we got a family plan with a special deal) which is the same as for the ATT 2GB limit I call it a win. Verizon on the other hand just charges much more.

Also I can actually make phone calls in my house now.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 20, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:27 PM   #40
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
The Nexus S provides hotspot functionality without additional charge.
Your beef is with the provider, not the phone then.

Also, why does it have to be a wifi tether? I mean, how much bandwidth do you seriously have to distribute to other devices? Might as well use a wired connection...

And again, what does this have to do with bloody netflix?

You bash people who want netflix on their mobiles because it isolates them, yet you say you may need one day when you're stuck at the airport or hospital...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:36 PM   #41
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Your beef is with the provider, not the phone then.

Also, why does it have to be a wifi tether? I mean, how much bandwidth do you seriously have to distribute to other devices? Might as well use a wired connection...

And again, what does this have to do with bloody netflix?

You bash people who want netflix on their mobiles because it isolates them, yet you say you may need one day when you're stuck at the airport or hospital...
Seriously avi, why does the iPhone's capability make you so hostile? I mean, you even had to go far as to just nakedly insulting people just for liking what it can do, or wishing that Android would gain the same features.

Relax your anger man, I don't think it is necessary to be so hostle if your points are sufficiently supported.

Last edited by pahncrd : Jan 20, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:57 PM   #42
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

LOL I am not being hostile.

This is a thread that Hidavi started to vent that he is pissed off the Netflix has not provided access on Android. Something that at seems like it should be technically possible and which Netflix says they are working on.

Then a couple iphone guys stopped in to turn this into an iphone feature war as though Netflix is some huge killer app.

All I did was chime in to put Netflix access in perspective by comparing it to other feature advantages of Android. The fact that Android is available on a variety of carriers is as much of a feature as anything else and a perfectly valid comparison. The fact that an Android user without hacking their phone can have a portable hot spot without screwing around with hacking is a feature. Flash support is a feature. A variety of devices with different sizes prices and capabilities is a feature. These features and their impacts are more important then being able to watch netflix while waiting in line at the grocery store. The sales figures seem to agree.

The iphone as I have said before is a perfectly nice device in it's own way but to say it is the magic all in one device is total BS. Now iPhone users who spend their time trolling Android threads looking for a chance to put in some gatchya post is what I am hostile towards. The fact that apple fanboys are completely blind to any flaws in the creations of their dear leader is what I am hostile towards.

edit: I also did not insult anyone. It merely makes me sad that some people find any spare minute left unfilled is an unbearable ordeal.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 20, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:41 PM   #43
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
LOL I am not being hostile.

This is a thread that Hidavi started to vent that he is pissed off the Netflix has not provided access on Android. Something that at seems like it should be technically possible and which Netflix says they are working on.

Then a couple iphone guys stopped in to turn this into an iphone feature war as though Netflix is some huge killer app.

All I did was chime in to put Netflix access in perspective by comparing it to other feature advantages of Android. The fact that Android is available on a variety of carriers is as much of a feature as anything else and a perfectly valid comparison. The fact that an Android user without hacking their phone can have a portable hot spot without screwing around with hacking is a feature. Flash support is a feature. A variety of devices with different sizes prices and capabilities is a feature. These features and their impacts are more important then being able to watch netflix while waiting in line at the grocery store. The sales figures seem to agree.

The iphone as I have said before is a perfectly nice device in it's own way but to say it is the magic all in one device is total BS. Now iPhone users who spend their time trolling Android threads looking for a chance to put in some gatchya post is what I am hostile towards. The fact that apple fanboys are completely blind to any flaws in the creations of their dear leader is what I am hostile towards.

edit: I also did not insult anyone. It merely makes me sad that some people find any spare minute left unfilled is an unbearable ordeal.

I guess I missed the post where someone was talking crap about Android. What I saw was people that don't even use netflix dogging on it, ostensibly as a way to justify it's omission on the Android platform. I see the same behavior in regards to the great and increasingly interesting games on the iPhone, where people that do not even play the games have some intense justification as to why the games don't work well on the iPhone and why they aren't necessary on their platform of choice.

So, on to the subject of iPhone 4 doing everything I want, that is absolutely the case. You can deny if you want, but you don't really have a fair outlook on the subject. I won't tell you what you have to like, but it is obvious that other people just enjoying their iPhones for all sorts of entertainment, school projects and work load, receive your ire. My iPhone is a complete device for me, it is my camera, video camera, ebook reader (and comic books woot), personal media player, phone, laptop (for my uses at least), personal digital asst, gaming handheld, fitness device, iPod, augmented reality device and fulfills many many other rolls, limited only by the creativity of app developers.

That's cool if you don't think of smartphones that way, by I certainly do, and it does a great job for me. It is awesome to always have a device on me that makes me prepared for almost every situation, and that is the beauty of my iPhone 4, as it is always available and always capable, there is no need to ever plan what I might be up to when I am out and no trying to guess which devices I'll need to bring.

I have unlimited 3G, and even so, and even though I watch about one movie or TV show per day, my usage has never even approached 2GB (it has gone over that when I tethered though, and yes I hate AT&T for their tethering rules) Not saying it cannot happen, but unless I was out for days at a time doing nothing but watching movies, I would be fine and well below the threshold. That said, I hate bandwidth caps, and especially ones that are obviously so stinking low that it seems apparent that there isn't anywhere near enough competition in the wireless communications realm. Hopefully iPhone going to Verizon helps stick it to AT&T enough that they finally reconsider their idiotic bandwidth and tethering policies.

Last edited by pahncrd : Jan 20, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:03 PM   #44
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I dont understand the deal with "fragmentation". If your phone is older and unable to run the newer OS thus not being able to run newer apps... upgrade?

That would be like people with win 98 / 486 machines complaining they cant run vista and play CoD.

Release the app with the requirements needed to use it, sooner or later those people that can't use it are going to upgrade their phone.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:10 PM   #45
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
I dont understand the deal with "fragmentation". If your phone is older and unable to run the newer OS thus not being able to run newer apps... upgrade?

That would be like people with win 98 / 486 machines complaining they cant run vista and play CoD.

Release the app with the requirements needed to use it, sooner or later those people that can't use it are going to upgrade their phone.
I don't think it is much of an issue at all, except for providers like Sony arbitrarily denying updates to existing handsets just to get people to upgrade in order to receive the benefits of an updates open source operating system. I think the fragmentation problem on android is a bit overblown, as most of the time a game will either work well on your device or not, much like with my old Palm apps.

It's getting better, but it is hardly all lollipops compared to android fragmentation.

I find the fragmentation has been annoying on iPhone though, with devs designing crap looking stuff like dead rising that is backwards compatible with iPhone 2gs. So devs feel compelled to mostly support the ancient devices as well as the new ones.

Last edited by pahncrd : Jan 20, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:06 PM   #46
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah the "fragmentation" bit is bull****. Make an Android 2.2 and 2.1 version and the 1.6-2.0 folks can just upgrade (which most would once they see that their old phone is getting passed on)
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:50 PM   #47
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:53 PM   #48
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
What the hell? That's asinine. I love Netflix and all, but that is just boneheaded just for drm. Like people are going to bother downloading movies from netflix when they can just use torrents.

The benefit of netflix is immediate streaming, downloading the movies would ruin that advantage.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:56 PM   #49
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
What the hell? That's asinine. I love Netflix and all, but that is just boneheaded just for drm. Like people are going to bother downloading movies from netflix when they can just use torrents.

The benefit of netflix is immediate streaming, downloading the movies would ruin that advantage.
I don't understand how Android needs all this DRM ability hard-coded into the CPU but iOS doesn't... It's like Netflix is promoting fragmentation.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:00 PM   #50
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I don't understand how Android needs all this DRM ability hard-coded into the CPU but iOS doesn't... It's like Netflix is promoting fragmentation.
Agreed, I'd like to know what their real motivation is.

I seriously doubt that piracy from Netflix is really that large of a potential problem.

I bet they just want to get in on the licensing fees of certifying chips. That's really shady if so.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:22 PM   #51
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

The statement they quote is from a few months ago and not necessarily related. The Qualcom part might be more related to hardware decoding than DRM. The only thing they say is that Qualcom is getting some chips certified so I wouldn't panic yet. The article they sourced ( http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/13/qu...es-on-android/ ) is pitching the Qualcom part as increasing speed, reliability and battery life. Sounds like hardware decoding to me. See quote below.

"Qualcomm said it has received certification from Netflix and that the video processing is handled by highly efficient dedicated hardware inside the chip. That means it can play movies at high quality without draining battery life"

If it is the way they are going it is a pretty lame move on someone's part.

Last edited by aviphysics : Feb 15, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:31 PM   #52
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
It might be more related to hardware decoding then DRM. The only thing they say is that Qualcom is getting some chips certified so I wouldn't panic yet. The article they sourced ( http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/13/qu...es-on-android/ ) is pitching the Qualcom part as increasing speed, reliability and battery life. Sounds like hardware decoding to me. See quote below.

"Qualcomm said it has received certification from Netflix and that the video processing is handled by highly efficient dedicated hardware inside the chip. That means it can play movies at high quality without draining battery life"

The statement they quote is from a few months ago and not necessarily related.

If it is the way they are going it is a pretty lame move on someone's part.
Engadget specifically mentioned hardware DRM ability in the Qualcomm chips.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:32 PM   #53
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:44 PM   #54
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/p...-hulu-for-all/

This will work well for you Hidavi, not so much for me and my crapass Droid.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:47 PM   #55
logical
What is my purpose?

40 dollar sub is ridiculous

Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:54 PM   #56
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
40 dollar sub is ridiculous
40/yr is less than 5 a month, but yeah it's kind of crap... Hopefully Netflix pulls their heads out of their asses and stops with this DRM on chip crap.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:02 PM   #57
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
40/yr is less than 5 a month, but yeah it's kind of crap... Hopefully Netflix pulls their heads out of their asses and stops with this DRM on chip crap.

They seriously need to nip this **** right now if they want to preserve their image at all.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:16 PM   #58
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post

They seriously need to nip this **** right now if they want to preserve their image at all.
And my point earlier in the thread about the iPhone not needing DRM on chip still stands, why the double standard? It's not like iOS is more secure, it can be jailbroken just like Android can be rooted, so if security were the issue, it'd have never made it onto iOS.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:20 PM   #59
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
And my point earlier in the thread about the iPhone not needing DRM on chip still stands, why the double standard? It's not like iOS is more secure, it can be jailbroken just like Android can be rooted, so if security were the issue, it'd have never made it onto iOS.
It's true, there is nothing particularly secure on iOS devices that will keep netflix content from being copied anymore than what is on android. I can't tell if this is just a ridiculous money-grab, or an action due to new pressure coming from content providers.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:38 PM   #60
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/p...-hulu-for-all/

This will work well for you Hidavi, not so much for me and my crapass Droid.
Thank you good sir