Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:55 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
Yeah you do. Saves battery life dude.
Alright then. Take your placebo, if it will make you fell better
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:19 AM   #32
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post
Alright then. Take your placebo, if it will make you fell better
reading around, seems you're right. I could actually even be slowing my phone down by using a task killer and android does a good enough job of battery management.

Sorry for being wrong; I'm a Windows user
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:41 AM   #33
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
reading around, seems you're right. I could actually even be slowing my phone down by using a task killer and android does a good enough job of battery management.

Linpack for Android shows no difference in MFLOPS when Task Killer and Lookout running in the backround
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:44 PM   #34
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Mine actually does get a higher average MFLOPs if I close a buncha tasks. Goes from 30.7 to 36.667 (average of 10 trials)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:38 PM   #35
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
Linpack for Android shows no difference in MFLOPS when Task Killer and Lookout running in the backround
It shouldn't cause much of a difference in performance. It's the battery life that gets diminished if you use task killers. Instead of apps remaining in memory and sleeping they get booted out. And when you open it up next time, you need to load the whole app again (assuming it would have otherwise stayed in memory).

If any app miss behaves or doesn't sleep properly, remove that ****er, since no task killer will help you much.

Quote:

Meh, I used a task killer too. Old habit from older smart phones.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:42 PM   #36
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
IInstead of apps remaining in memory and sleeping they get booted out.
Unless its one of those apps that do background tags which then eats up your bat
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:44 PM   #37
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It shouldn't cause much of a difference in performance. It's the battery life that gets diminished if you use task killers. Instead of apps remaining in memory and sleeping they get booted out. And when you open it up next time, you need to load the whole app again (assuming it would have otherwise stayed in memory).

If any app miss behaves or doesn't sleep properly, remove that ****er, since no task killer will help you much.

Meh, I used a task killer too. Old habit from older smart phones.
I use it to kill programs like Dolphin HD and ESPN radio, when using their exit takes to long. With task killer you can see how much memory you are using up from idle programs.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:32 PM   #38
JulianLyle
Radeon Northern Islands

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

I've recently retired my old mytouch3g and bought a Nexus One, really feeling the difference in speed and performance. Some useful apps I use:

Tapatalk Pro : nice app to manage your favorite forums.

SwiftKey Beta : Awesome predictive keyboard, i've been using it for a week and it's all good.

Wiimote Controller: Let's you pair your wii controller with your phone via bt so you can properly play your roms. Compatible with most emulators.

WhatsApp : This app lets you chat, send videos, pics and songs to every other android, bb, nokia, iphone that also has the app installed. It's still on beta for android, but you can sign up at the website.

If I remember any other useful apps I'll let you guys know.

Last edited by JulianLyle : Aug 10, 2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Update
JulianLyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:35 PM   #39
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Phoneflicks and the IMDB app are two gems as well

Phoneflicks lets you manage your netflix account. you can add/remove movies from your disc and instant queues and you can give ratings too.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:32 AM   #40
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Wheres the one where you can take a photo of somebody's face and it searches and matches it to that person's facebook/myspace page through facial recognicion?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek

Last edited by FX-Overclocking : Aug 11, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:27 AM   #41
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Just loaded Launcher Pro, love it. Themed it, installed Digital Clock Widget, and the rest of my ROM is also themed to match:

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:22 AM   #42
Yceman
Radeon R600

Yceman is still being judged by the masses

Speaking of apps, who should I talk to in Rage3D to make it supported by Tapatalk? It doesn't cost anything
Yceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:09 AM   #43
JulianLyle
Radeon Northern Islands

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yceman View Post
Speaking of apps, who should I talk to in Rage3D to make it supported by Tapatalk? It doesn't cost anything
I was wondering the same thing. Got my favorite forums added except for r3d. Lets give some tapatalk love!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:16 AM   #44
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLyle View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Got my favorite forums added except for r3d. Lets give some tapatalk love!
Post in the feedback forum.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:40 PM   #45
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Just loaded Launcher Pro, love it. Themed it, installed Digital Clock Widget, and the rest of my ROM is also themed to match:

reminds me of Sense
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:22 PM   #46
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
reminds me of Sense
Looks better than sense
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:10 PM   #47
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Wheres the one where you can take a photo of somebody's face and it searches and matches it to that person's facebook/myspace page through facial recognicion?
.?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:54 PM   #48
hidareign
Radeon R520

hidareign is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Looks better than sense
after playing around with my friends samsung moment. I do believe sense looks a ton better than most packaged UIs.

But looks are always subjective

My must have apps

Adobe reader
swiftkey beta
appbrain
rockplayer
astro
Dolphin HD
reddit is fun

oh and assassins creed 3d isn't half bad either
hidareign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:37 AM   #49
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Well my droid never came, but I have one on its way and it should be here tomorrow morning. Are there any new apps that are worth having?
kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:43 AM   #50
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I have really been enjoying PSX4Droid V2. Runs close to full speed on my Nexus S. It's probably even better with a keyboard.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:26 PM   #51
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Post in the feedback forum.
It's been posted, Forum would have to be upgraded to support.
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:39 PM   #52
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quickpic is a great pic browser if anyone is looking for an alternative to gallery3d.

I also dig PlayerPro for music.

Found these two recently, thought I'd share.

Also can we get this stickied?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:17 AM   #53
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

which is the best media player for video? i'd like something like vlc which can play all formats with no issues. a lot of people tell me rockplayer is good but to buy it, you have to go to a chinese website and donate money through paypal and then they generate an unlock code based on your imei number. it's probably legit but i don't like the sound of that.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:49 AM   #54
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Moboplayer is a good alternative.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:59 PM   #55
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
which is the best media player for video? i'd like something like vlc which can play all formats with no issues. a lot of people tell me rockplayer is good but to buy it, you have to go to a chinese website and donate money through paypal and then they generate an unlock code based on your imei number. it's probably legit but i don't like the sound of that.
I like Rockplayer.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:10 AM   #56
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Go Launcher EX + widgets. I'm trying the new version as I type and I absolutely love the new Contacts widget.
Go Launcher EX is just like LP but it's free. Gadgets are also free. Go try the new Contacts widget...

Last edited by Pr()ZaC : Apr 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Pr()ZaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:08 AM   #57
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Is anyone here playing drag racing?

If not GET IT.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:34 PM   #58
drspangle
Radeon Arctic Islands

drspangle is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC View Post
Go Launcher EX + widgets. I'm trying the new version as I type and I absolutely love the new Contacts widget.
Go Launcher EX is just like LP but it's free. Gadgets are also free. Go try the new Contacts widget...
I've played with all the (non silly 3d) launchers and GoLauncher is my favourite by far. Easiest to change icons and customise visually and is the only one (though might have changed now, they all update so often) that supports folders and hiding apps in the app drawer. Bliss.

Not sure I see the point in working on a task manager these days, but I will give the contacts a go...

The new Evernote is also looking really good
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:58 AM   #59
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

^Gonna try that. Thanks guys. I went from Sense on 2.2 to stock 2.3.3 because there is no Sense on 2.3.3. I miss having a good launcher...

Cordy is fun! The control buttons are too far apart on the Xoom, but on the EVO the buttons feel fine. Just that the game obviously looks better on a 10.1" screen than it does on a 4.3"

Last edited by Hidavi : Apr 23, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:32 AM   #60
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
^Gonna try that. Thanks guys. I went from Sense on 2.2 to stock 2.3.3 because there is no Sense on 2.3.3. I miss having a good launcher...

Cordy is fun! The control buttons are too far apart on the Xoom, but on the EVO the buttons feel fine. Just that the game obviously looks better on a 10.1" screen than it does on a 4.3"

And its apparently free.