Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a Windows Surface (Tablet)?
Yes 7 9.09%
No 38 49.35%
Maybe 32 41.56%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:03 AM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

From what i can see so far, win8 seems to be far better when it comes to touch on desktop that any of the previous versions of windows. I have the touchpad but for the times im laying comfi on a couch or in bed, times when i dont have the touchpad on, i dont have any issues using desktop. I mean yeah it takes an extra touch or touch longer to initiate options, but IMO its not painful by any means. But again this is with doing mild work and other little stuff, if one was to sit and work all day on it then youll definitely need the keyboard.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Dec 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:32 AM   #152
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Got the 64GB RT with the Type Cover.

Cons:
I really don't like the Touch Cover.. there is no deformation of the keys, no click no anything letting you know you've successfully "typed" a character/key.
The back of the black covers have a "felt" type of backing. Would have preferred of could have got the white touch cover without having to pay extra.

Cancelling an update, leaves the update status of "Canceled" with no means to resume, redo/update etc.. Office 2013 RT took nearly 2 hours to DL and install on crappy wifi.

Feels like a Brick.

Pros:
Butter Smooth. Animations are quick, no hitching just works without any noticeable performance issues.

Cool,. No not "Oh look an iPad" kinda Cool for all the Cool kids, but cool as in temps. After using an iPad2 or an Android tablet for some time on lap there is a very noticeable increase in temperatures. I have seen nothing of the such with the Surface.

Click it. The "mechanism" or more aptly the magnetism of which the covers attach to the tablet is just ingenious. It actually works. It connects up with little to no attention having to be paid to "line things up".

Office. Well it works almost exactly as a desktop environment with a few small differences, the only real one being no Outlook, which I almost debated as a Con as the Surface seems aimed right at "productivity" (corporate) users but the lack of Outlook severely limits its use along with the clause of Office 2013 RT Student and Home not being used for any sort of profit work.

Feels like a Brick.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:32 PM   #153
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

So its been just over a month now and i must say im really enjoying it so far. To reconfirm common knowledge, the thing is built like a tank... its obvious that MS took their time in its design.

So instead of going on about all the stuff i like, here's a small list of complaints;

Hardware

- Power adapter: I wish it had a micro USB instead of its own design. Theirs works great and its sexy, but i already have a bunch of the micro usb and it a pain to take the device back to where the plug is instead of using the ones i have plugged in around the house.
- The Camera: Its great for skype and other social videoing but it totally sucks for wanting to take any candid photo's and video. Things just look too, digital?! Not a huge complaint but for a tablet costing this much it should have something better.
- Back Plate: Very solid and sturdy material, but when holding for a period of time it does tend to get slippery from finger juices. Having some sort of rubberized back (aka nexus 7 esk) might make it more appealing for longer hold times. I guess a case would help but i usually dont like cases on my devices.

Software:

- Retrieving Emails: I can only have 3 email accounts that retrieve emails instantly, the others push every 15min. Why cant all be instant?!? I guess Win8 Pro does the same thing BUT WHY!!!
- MKV support: No default support. Some 3rd party video players do it but their performance are iffy.
- Printing: Cant install my printer (Kodak) yet, tho ive setup cloud printing and it works just fine.
- Browser: NO CHROME... yet. The new IE is fine and dandy and i really like it, but i really miss my CHROME.

Granted none of these are game stoppers, but more of an annoyance. Id be tickled pink when Chrome is released, that would be on the top of my list of things to want. Other than that ive been extremely happy with this purchase. I've been able to do a lot more than i could do with other tablets as it feels more like a mini pc rather than a tablet. Now this has its pros and cons, but for me its what i was looking for. Ive totally been unglued from my desk, i dont have that "detached" feeling anymore when im away from my desk... the only times i jump on my main system is when i want to game or do real editing.

So what do you other Surface users think after spending some quality time with it?

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Jan 11, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:33 PM   #154
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
So its been just over a month now and i must say im really enjoying it so far. To reconfirm common knowledge, the thing is built like a tank... its obvious that MS took their time in its design.

So instead of going on about all the stuff i like, here's a small list of complaints;

Hardware

- Power adapter: I wish it had a micro USB instead of its own design. Theirs works great and its sexy, but i already have a bunch of the micro usb and it a pain to take the device back to where the plug is instead of using the ones i have plugged in around the house.
- The Camera: Its great for skype and other social videoing but it totally sucks for wanting to take any candid photo's and video. Things just look too, digital?! Not a huge complaint but for a tablet costing this much it should have something better.
- Back Plate: Very solid and sturdy material, but when holding for a period of time it does tend to get slippery from finger juices. Having some sort of rubberized back (aka nexus 7 esk) might make it more appealing for longer hold times. I guess a case would help but i usually dont like cases on my devices.

Software:

- Retrieving Emails: I can only have 3 email accounts that retrieve emails instantly, the others push every 15min. Why cant all be instant?!? I guess Win8 Pro does the same thing BUT WHY!!!
- MKV support: No default support. Some 3rd party video players do it but their performance are iffy.
- Printing: Cant install my printer (Kodak) yet, tho ive setup cloud printing and it works just fine.
- Browser: NO CHROME... yet. The new IE is fine and dandy and i really like it, but i really miss my CHROME.

Granted none of these are game stoppers, but more of an annoyance. Id be tickled pink when Chrome is released, that would be on the top of my list of things to want. Other than that ive been extremely happy with this purchase. I've been able to do a lot more than i could do with other tablets as it feels more like a mini pc rather than a tablet. Now this has its pros and cons, but for me its what i was looking for. Ive totally been unglued from my desk, i dont have that "detached" feeling anymore when im away from my desk... the only times i jump on my main system is when i want to game or do real editing.

So what do you other Surface users think after spending some quality time with it?
So far using it since launch, and I haven't really used my laptop much as all of my RDP work and on the road Microsoft Office work is handled with the surface. Had about 20 printers setup between various offices I visit work out of the box and only 1 that hasn't but it was so old I can accept that.

Great for on the road movie watching and hotel stays are much nicer being able to hook up HDMI on the in room TVs . Never crashes so far and more stable than any Android tablet I have used.

In short it just works out of the box with little tweaking.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:09 PM   #155
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

So any of you trying win 8.1 on it? On a whole its a nice upgrade but for me IE is totally messed. Slow sluggish and websites just crash alot... other than that im liking the change.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:31 PM   #156
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'm running it on my touch laptop and my desktop. It's a really nice upgrade.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:29 PM   #157
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
So any of you trying win 8.1 on it? On a whole its a nice upgrade but for me IE is totally messed. Slow sluggish and websites just crash alot... other than that im liking the change.
Running it on my Surface and XPS12. I'm not experiencing IE issues in any way. Maybe I have gotten used to Windows 8 on the whole but other than booting to desktop (on my desktop) which is welcome, not too excited about it so far but only used it a couple days.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:33 PM   #158
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
Running it on my Surface and XPS12. I'm not experiencing IE issues in any way. Maybe I have gotten used to Windows 8 on the whole but other than booting to desktop (on my desktop) which is welcome, not too excited about it so far but only used it a couple days.
I haven't seen any issues on my XPS 12, but the Surface is a bit slower so I can't speak to it.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 01:16 PM   #159
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Installed 8.1 on 64GB RT Surface, digging the "new" (to RT) Outlook, like the ability to create Tile Groups in the start screen, although miss the "All Apps" button where the "Customize" button now resides. Biggest Plus (again) is the inclusion of Outlook, definitely makes the Surface\RT the near perfect business travel companion.

No noticeable issues as of yet, 4 days. Would love to see Chrome browser or something as an alternative to IE, though I doubt it is high on Google's priority list.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:48 PM   #160
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Havent tried the outlook yet, better than the mail app?
I dont forget that you can access all apps by just swiping up from the main tiles. I notice that some apps that i install dont put the tile which i have to seach and they click to add the tile.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 04:15 PM   #161
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Havent tried the outlook yet, better than the mail app?
I dont forget that you can access all apps by just swiping up from the main tiles. I notice that some apps that i install dont put the tile which i have to seach and they click to add the tile.
Anything is better than the mail app IMO. I know POP sucks but since Comcast doesn't do IMAP I could never get my Comcast account through the mail app since it doesn't do POP. I will be installing on my RT today or tomorrow so I can have all my accounts in one place.

It's essentially the 2013 version of Outlook to run on ARM devices from what I gather so it should work fine. I haven't done the 8.1 update on my RT yet, just on my Surface Pro and XPS12 which already has outlook installed.

Old Jul 9, 2013, 07:10 PM   #162
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
Anything is better than the mail app IMO. I know POP sucks but since Comcast doesn't do IMAP I could never get my Comcast account through the mail app since it doesn't do POP. I will be installing on my RT today or tomorrow so I can have all my accounts in one place.

It's essentially the 2013 version of Outlook to run on ARM devices from what I gather so it should work fine. I haven't done the 8.1 update on my RT yet, just on my Surface Pro and XPS12 which already has outlook installed.
forward your email in Comcast to hotmail/outlook account OR
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...-xfinity-email

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-...498035#M218382
Old Jul 9, 2013, 09:55 PM   #163
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
Already forwarded to my Hotmail/outlook.com account but just puts it is it's own folder so I don't know when mail arrives so it's a no go.

Comcast will NOT do IMAP in my area (beta or not) so I am stuck needing a POP client.

Outlook works so much better anyway, The win 8 mail app is not bad but taking out POP support killed it for me.

Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:44 PM   #164
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
Installed 8.1 on 64GB RT Surface, digging the "new" (to RT) Outlook, like the ability to create Tile Groups in the start screen, although miss the "All Apps" button where the "Customize" button now resides. Biggest Plus (again) is the inclusion of Outlook, definitely makes the Surface\RT the near perfect business travel companion.

No noticeable issues as of yet, 4 days. Would love to see Chrome browser or something as an alternative to IE, though I doubt it is high on Google's priority list.
If you mess around with your app tile density, you can swipe up from the bottom to see all the apps. I have noticed that when I increase my density, I can't do this anymore (shows customize) and I have to swipe over to the right and then click on the arrow to get the apps. I am REALLY hoping they listen to the feedback and make the experience consistent.

Re: Chrome, I would love to see Chrome as well, but honestly, no other browser works well with touch on the OS. Chrome has been absolutely rubbish so far. IE is working well (incredibly smooth given the capabilities), so I'm sticking to it, but I really want to see Chrome/Opera or Firefox step up and deliver
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:34 AM   #165
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Yeah i wanted chrome so bad in the beginning but since ie10 and 11 its becoming less of a need. My biggest issue was that all of my bookmarks were in chrome, but i imported into ie and sync my surface to it. Done. It would be still awesome if they made a touch chrome for this.

Tried using outlook, i dont think i can get use to it. I prefer the chunkier feel of the mail app and calendar works well enough. Also i like how the mail app mimics my inbox structure better and how it handles the spam. Is there a pst file with this outlook?

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Jul 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM.