Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 17, 2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Progressive Rock recommendations

I am a progressive rock fan and recently discovered two new bands that sound somewhat like Pink Floyd. Do you guys know of any other bands that are worth listening to with this sound?

I found these two: What do you think of them?

Airbag

Riverside

Last edited by howard stern : May 17, 2019 at 04:42 PM.
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 01:00 PM   #2
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Some of the earlier stuff from Porcupine Tree had an obvious Floyd influence. Later they moved more into a prog metal direction.
Old May 17, 2019, 01:19 PM   #3
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm into Liquid Tension Experiment these days.

Let me know if you want more bands.

BTW, to post youtube stuff just do the "[ yt]" no space, then everything past the = in the youtube link, then end it with the "[ /yt]" no space.

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 17, 2019, 02:00 PM   #4
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 02:52 PM   #5
Jankan
Banged

Jankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Check out Anathema
Old May 17, 2019, 04:45 PM   #6
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I'm into Liquid Tension Experiment these days.

Let me know if you want more bands.

BTW, to post youtube stuff just do the "[ yt]" no space, then everything past the = in the youtube link, then end it with the "[ /yt]" no space.

Thanks for the tip on embedding the video, also I like Liquid Tension Experiment they reminded me of Styx need to listen to more of their stuff.
Old May 17, 2019, 04:55 PM   #7
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Some of the earlier stuff from Porcupine Tree had an obvious Floyd influence. Later they moved more into a prog metal direction.
Just played this on YT - Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

sounded fantastic the drummer is off the chart good thanks
Old Yesterday, 02:04 AM   #8
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post
Just played this on YT - Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

sounded fantastic the drummer is off the chart good thanks
One of the best songs ever written, imho. There's a pretty good concert movie by that name, too.

Check out Ozric Tentacles, particularly Strangeitude and The Hidden Step. If you want to go way way back, there's always Yes, Nektar, Uriah Heep, and Utopia. And then there's the the Rolling Stone list.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I think you'd like Soen.

And maybe Katatonia:

A couple others you might dig are Graveyard and Witchcraft, but they're in a different vein, still pretty old school sounding.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #10
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Progressive? Other than maybe more well-known bands like Dream Theater and Rush, I'll try to think of a couple who aren't or weren't exactly mainstream.

"Operation Mindcrime", the whole album, by Queensryche. They don't sound like Pink Floyd (almost no one does or can), but they're very insightful with their lyrics, much like PF, and musically and vocally solid.

One tune from the album:

A live tune:

Another suggestion, Nightwish. Their songs tend to be more complex and poetic than the average rock band. They just do their own thing. Again, they don't sound like PF, but same as before: that's a tough order to fill. They're considered symphonic metal, but I'd put them in a progressive category, too. There are other more complex songs, like "Poet and the Pendulum", and "Greatest Show on Earth", but these are more digestable in one bite.

Original singer, live, more straightforward song.

Self-explanatory? The rock/metal version of the famous tune.

Live, different songs, current singer:

jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #11
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Animals as Leaders.....

I saw Tosin Abasi at a Generation Axe concert in Selina Kansas a few months back. Dude can play the HELL out of that guitar thing he has. It sounded just like the album. Didn't miss a note that I could tell.

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #12
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Animals as Leaders.....
Good recommendation. I'd forgotten about them.

jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote