Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 13, 2019, 08:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Monitor Large curved monitors

I’ve been loosely monitoring the release of large curved monitors, here’s the latest at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=49+curved...nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

Anyone own or tried any of these? Thoughts...

If you were to chose a large curved monitor for gaming in the near future, which one would you choose (any large curved monitor, not just from the list above)?

Are bigger or significantly better ones coming in the near future?

Do most new games now support the 32:9 resolution?

V

ps. I want to try a game on one of these bad boys, do they have at Costco or Best Buy? Last time I went looking only Best Buy had one and they only had a 34" I believe and they didn't have a game hooked up.
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 08:03 PM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

If 60 Hz doesn’t bother you then you can get a 5K for 1399 on Amazon after discounts. Get the one with 2160P not 1440P.

The tech chap has a decent review of it on the tube.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 08:51 PM   #3
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

I like 'em large and curved, and...

Oh, sorry. What were we talking about?

A 49" curved monitor? That's bigger than my TV in my living room. I can't imagine having that much real estate for a monitor.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 13, 2019, 08:55 PM   #4
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post
I like 'em large and curved, and...

Oh, sorry. What were we talking about?

A 49" curved monitor? That's bigger than my TV in my living room. I can't imagine having that much real estate for a monitor.
I sit about 3.5ft from a 49" 4k tv/monitor (not curved). You get use to it fast and never want to go back.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:29 PM   #5
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R520

JohnnyFlash is still being judged by the masses

The reason for the curve makes sense to me now, as the sides of my 32" flat monitors have gamma shift. You don't think about it, but on a monitor that size you're direct to the center of the screen, but as much as 35 degrees to the sides.

My next set will be curved a little, as it can be distracting in dark scenes.

Last edited by JohnnyFlash : May 14, 2019 at 10:46 PM.
JohnnyFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 06:20 AM   #6
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

Iv been using 34" curved for year+ now.

Id might not want to go bigger than 34", it makes using windows quite hard. If you count the field of view degrees for 49" on your viewing distance than left is quite far on left. If you have to move your neck a lot for left and right im not sure its very effective anymore. GUI elements might be around the edges and its awkward.

Id recommend looking into 34" curved 21:9 with freesync/g-sync+high refresh rate rather than 49" 32:9. HDR might not really be there yet, but even the budget version might tempt me if I was buying now. Definetly wouldn't go over 1k on monitor.

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 06:40 AM   #7
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

one of my housemates has an ultra wide monitor, its not curve, but you'd never go back to a regular monitor afterwards, so i'd make sure you are really ready for it
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 09:12 AM   #8
kaarel
Radeon R700

kaarel is still being judged by the masses

I would strongly advise against 32:9 especially for gaming and especially flight/space sims and strategy games. Vertical space is also useful and needed.
What happens with very wide screen in case of gaming:
- huge FOV makes things distorted on the edges while making things smaller on the screen as your viewing distance from the monitor is determined by the width of the monitor
- with normal FOV very little fits vertically on the screen
kaarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 09:45 AM   #9
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Biggest knock on those monitors to me is the resolution. 1080p vertical is not enough these days.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Biggest knock on those monitors to me is the resolution. 1080p vertical is not enough these days.
the dell and LG are 5120x1440...
Old May 14, 2019, 11:15 AM   #11
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I didnt click through the whole list just the first couple. I assume those are the monitors he wants. 1440 is just barely enough. I have a 21:9 1440 now and wish I had a bit more vertical.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarel View Post
I would strongly advise against 32:9 especially for gaming and especially flight/space sims and strategy games. Vertical space is also useful and needed.
What happens with very wide screen in case of gaming:
- huge FOV makes things distorted on the edges while making things smaller on the screen as your viewing distance from the monitor is determined by the width of the monitor
- with normal FOV very little fits vertically on the screen
I don;t see what you are saying... I think it is similar to two 27" monitors side by side, but with out the large bezels in the middle, which is what I use now for work, but not for gaming...

Looks pretty darn good for gaming, can you point to the issue you are mentioning in the below? He mentions some "minor" distortion around the far edges when viewing text (around 1:20), but I can't see this being as issue while playing a game:

I would think most of my attention and viewing time would be spent in the middle 70 to 80% of the time and the outer edges would be bonus real estate, viewing things once in a while that caught my attention
Old May 14, 2019, 12:03 PM   #13
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Personally I've been wanting to get one for a while. I still use a 27" 1080p monitor. Yes I've tried monitors with higher resolutions, they are nice, but in my opinion highly overrated. I'd rather have color accuracy, realstate, and high performance in gaming.

*On top of that some applications still don't work well with higher resolutions. They have icons or letter types that stay incredibly small and uncomfortable to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 12:32 PM   #14
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I got this one about a year back and gaming one it is crazy awesome. But it takes up so much room it is silly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old May 14, 2019, 12:34 PM   #15
kaarel
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanz_007 View Post
I don;t see what you are saying... I think it is similar to two 27" monitors side by side, but with out the large bezels in the middle, which is what I use now for work, but not for gaming...
I bought Dell U4919DW for office use for some employees and a lot of them say that curvature is too small compared to two 27" inch that you can place at much steeper angle to each other. People sit really close (2-3 feet) to these monitors because that is exactly what you would do with 27" (16:9) monitor especially if you want to see data in huge Excel spreadsheets. When you are that close to 49" (32:9), angle to the edges becomes too big and you also have to turn your head a lot more. You could say that then why not sit further away. Sitting further away forces you to make things bigger limiting visible data even more vertically. Basically your viewing distance is determined by monitors height because this starts to limit you.

When I am talking about distortion on the far edges of the monitor it's actually three things:
- angle distortion itself - monitor might show everything correctly but you are just at too steep angle because you are too close (as that is determined by monitor's height)
- distortion caused by pixels not able to display correctly at steep angles
- if you enable higher FOV (as a game setting) to get an advantage or just to see more, you get distortion and also make all things smaller so you need to sit closer

In your video FOV hasn't been increased much. Player just loses vertical visibility a lot. Of course if you are in a vast field or near a body of water it looks fantastic until dragon silently attacks you from above. Imagine cramped corridor or stairs going up and going down where enemy players are expected to come, navigating or combat in space, civilization map as a narrow strip.

Even worse - HUD. Imagine data that should intuitively come to your brain now being far away left or right so that you completely move your vision away from the center of the screen to see it.

32:9 is just not logical because user has to move eyes or head too much off the center to left and right while there is usable space closer to vision's center looking up and down.

I understand that on flat ground in case of first person shooter user doesn't need much vertical space but that is the only case.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:44 PM   #16
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
I bought Dell U4919DW for office use for some employees and a lot of them say that curvature is too small compared to two 27" inch that you can place at much steeper angle to each other. People sit really close (2-3 feet) to these monitors because that is exactly what you would do with 27" (16:9) monitor especially if you want to see data in huge Excel spreadsheets. When you are that close to 49" (32:9), angle to the edges becomes too big and you also have to turn your head a lot more. You could say that then why not sit further away. Sitting further away forces you to make things bigger limiting visible data even more vertically. Basically your viewing distance is determined by monitors height because this starts to limit you.

When I am talking about distortion on the far edges of the monitor it's actually three things:
- angle distortion itself - monitor might show everything correctly but you are just at too steep angle because you are too close (as that is determined by monitor's height)
- distortion caused by pixels not able to display correctly at steep angles
- if you enable higher FOV (as a game setting) to get an advantage or just to see more, you get distortion and also make all things smaller so you need to sit closer

In your video FOV hasn't been increased much. Player just loses vertical visibility a lot. Of course if you are in a vast field or near a body of water it looks fantastic until dragon silently attacks you from above. Imagine cramped corridor or stairs going up and going down where enemy players are expected to come, navigating or combat in space, civilization map as a narrow strip.

Even worse - HUD. Imagine data that should intuitively come to your brain now being far away left or right so that you completely move your vision away from the center of the screen to see it.

32:9 is just not logical because user has to move eyes or head too much off the center to left and right while there is usable space closer to vision's center looking up and down.

I understand that on flat ground in case of first person shooter user doesn't need much vertical space but that is the only case.
hmmm, yeah, what you are saying makes more sense now, what do you recommend for the best gaming experience for a PC monitor?
Old May 14, 2019, 02:10 PM   #17
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
In your video FOV hasn't been increased much. Player just loses vertical visibility a lot.
This varies from game to game, it depends on the FoV implementation, and whether they locked the vertical, horizontal, or neither. In some games you will lose vertical, in most though you will gain horizontal without losing any vert. Usually if it's a single player game you can find fixes for the lost vertical on the wsgf forums.

Nevertheless there is a point where more horizontal real estate becomes a detriment, due to the fish eye effect you get past a certain distance away from the median. (and weird glitches or broken usability with the UI)

Good to see some progress being made with these, a few years ago when they started popping up the reviews were less than stellar, saying they preferred their older flat monitors. (though those reviews I read were from graphic designers, not gamers)
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 02:31 PM   #18
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

I've been widescreen gaming for many years although not via single curved monitor. I've been using triple screens for more years than I can remember. It is much better today the support that most titles have for widescreen gaming but there are still a lot of issues as kaarel mentions.

It was getting better for a while, but now that most titles are console ports or small indie developers, it's going back the other direction. As most here know, I do a lot of racing sims so vertical real estate isn't that big of a concern. However, when I do regular titles, that don't support widescreen well (which is the majority of titles out there), I need to try and run them in window mode to control the aspect ratio. Then you run into the indie titles that don't support running in window mode...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 06:28 PM   #19
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 06:36 PM   #20
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post

I want 3, I'll layer them vertically...
Old May 14, 2019, 11:22 PM   #21
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

I bought a cheap 27 inch 4k 60hz samsung last summer, on sale for a couple hundred bucks. I often wish I had gone with a 144hz monitor instead.

Honestly I'm kindof waiting until I can get a monitor with ultra-wide, 144hz, 4k, freesync, & hdr. I'd be willing to plop down a good chunk of $$ for such a device, if one existed. Until then, I feel like any monitor I buy is just a stop-gap, so I'm not willing to spend much on it.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 04:51 AM   #22
kaarel
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanz_007 View Post
hmmm, yeah, what you are saying makes more sense now, what do you recommend for the best gaming experience for a PC monitor?
I have currently LG OLED C6. It's perfect except it has only 60Hz refresh rate.
I am patiently waiting for LG OLED C9 55" - OLED, low latency, 120Hz, Freesync, 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision
Sadly C9 will not be curved as C6 is, but when it is 4-6 feet away I hope it's ok.

If OLED TV is too pricey, I am sure there will be decent IPS/VA alternatives with HDMI 2.1 support. For $1000 you should get pretty good Samsung TV in the near future that has HDMI 2.1 that enables 120Hz and Freesync.

Perfect monitor would be something like this:
OLED, 40-43", 16:9, 4K
120Hz or more with Freesync
curved