Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI A320 Mobo.

Having a bit of a weird issue:

Setup:

-AMD A12-9600
-MSI A320 Pro M2 V2
-Geforce GTX 1060
-2x4GB DDR4 RAM
-128GB SSD
-500 watt PS

Upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600. Had to update the mobo bios to support it (out of box support was the Ryzen 2000 series). Latest they had was a beta bios but the Ryzen 3000 works.
After mobo update, and the CPU installed, the thing wouldn't really boot up consistently without doing some oddball "ritual".

Having to flip off/on the PS switch before the PC on/off button and then it'll work. And when it runs it'll run for hours.

Lately its now seemingly shutting itself down at times (not sure how long it runs at a time though) and it seems to take a few more tries to get it up and running.

Im suspecting some kind of power issue and/or perhaps some kind of cooling issue. This one is baffling me though.

I did read some sort of odd issue where ryzen 3's and upgraded motherboards with residual power (the so called fix was to detach the power supply from motherboard before installing the new ryzen chip)....so my next step would be to unplug all the power related components and reconnect them after say 10mins and see if its still doing it.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:38 PM   #2
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

you could try setting ram boot voltage a bit higher that seems to be a common fix people have been using.
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2019, 01:14 AM   #3
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If it's shutting itself down I'd suspect the VRMs could be overheating. If that's what is happening it would make more sense if it was happening under load and not, for example, at idle.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 9, 2019, 01:30 AM   #4
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Have you confirmed the RAM sticks you has in there is supported by Zen 2?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:34 AM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I was informed that its back to its usual "have to flip the psu switch on/off" to turn on the PC, and its not randomly shutting down anymore.

Can RAM actually be a culprit? They're just basic DDR4 ram sticks (2x4gb) at I think 2600 stock. Nothing's being overclocked in this PC so going with more "gaming" ram of sorts is kind of overkill.

I never had any issues with RAM sticks before, especially now (I am aware of the old quirk of RAM sticks not playing nice with each other so they had to be paired up with almost identical sticks to prevent issues, but in this day and age I don't believe that is an issue anymore)

The only thing at this point that im going to try is that the next time I visit I will unplug all the power sources to the motherboard and let it sit for a few mins and just replug it back in and see if that does anything.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 01:40 PM   #6
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

The Beta bios seems the most likely culprit here I'm afraid. TBH the A320 mobo's are entry level and to get any support from MSI for Ryzen 3600 is amazing but unfortunately it's not guaranteed to work great as it's a 'beta' release. The usual caveat is use at your own peril I'm afraid.

Looks like you'll have to put up with the issues until a later bios is released I'm afraid. Also remember that A320 boards were never meant to run Ryzen 3000 CPU's so as Nagorak says there could also be other hardware issues going on.

Look at how AMD have stopped PCIE4 support on older X470 mobo's even though some manufacturers released a beta bios to enable it, like mine did, but AMD decided the risk was too great so pulled support. Some you win and some you lose.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
The Beta bios seems the most likely culprit here I'm afraid. TBH the A320 mobo's are entry level and to get any support from MSI for Ryzen 3600 is amazing but unfortunately it's not guaranteed to work great as it's a 'beta' release. The usual caveat is use at your own peril I'm afraid.

Looks like you'll have to put up with the issues until a later bios is released I'm afraid. Also remember that A320 boards were never meant to run Ryzen 3000 CPU's so as Nagorak says there could also be other hardware issues going on.

Look at how AMD have stopped PCIE4 support on older X470 mobo's even though some manufacturers released a beta bios to enable it, like mine did, but AMD decided the risk was too great so pulled support. Some you win and some you lose.
Hah well that was an unexpected piece of information on my part, I just assumed it'll all AM4 will be supported until AMD says no....in this case I read that they said no too late. I was aware the bios is BETA and it does work fine when it runs. But I guess it does come down to some sort of power issue with regards to ryzen 3000 + A320 compatibility with this mainboard. Hopefully it lasts long enough and doesn't end up frying the motherboard..(it was replaced once already). I guess we're doing pretty good if all it takes to get the computer running is just the extra step of switching on/off the PSU switch before switching on the case power switch.

OK after doing some more reading it does appear that the BIOS RAM is limited so they had to drop some older CPU support in favor of adding the Ryzen 3000 series.
Edit: So I scrounged around the MSI forums and I found someone with a similar issue (switch on/off PSU switch, press power button on case to turn on), except with first or second gen Ryzen. Seems like it is a BIOS issue, as that person was using a much older bios. Guess fingers crossed that an updated bios whenever it comes will rectify the situation.

Last edited by Sasquach : Aug 9, 2019 at 02:09 PM.