Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 23, 2019, 08:56 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Default The Corsair MP510 SSD: Best Value?

I asked yesterday about cases, today is boot drive day!

The 970 Evo/Pro is the champ, no question. BUT...the 1TB Corsair MP510 nvme is almost $100 less than the Evo.

(at the 8:15 mark)

Review showing what's probably more realistic results:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13438...510-ssd-review

Still....think I'd rather put that extra $100 into CPU/Mobo than something more easily replaced (also, if I go x570, the pcie4 drives will be out soon (affordability a different issue).

What say you all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2019, 01:49 PM   #2
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

ADATA SX8200
Is basically the same drive as the MP510 and seem to be cheaper then the corsair offering often.

There's honestly not a lot of noticeable performance difference even from a sata ssd to the fastest nvme drives for every day stuff like boot times or game load times if you check out reviews. It's mostly the synthetic benchmarks only were you see the difference and some very large file workloads will show improvements.

The cheaper option may be going with a smaller size nvme drive like in the 256gb range for an OS drive, and then for cost savings getting large 2.5" 1tb ssd's for program storage. Or perhaps something like the intel QLC 660p nvme

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus

Last edited by Shapeshifter : Jun 23, 2019 at 02:17 PM.
Shapeshifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2019, 05:01 PM   #3
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Corsair every time. Samsung is overpriced.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 23, 2019, 05:24 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

might want to wait till the 7th and see what prices are on the new ones if you plan on a x570 MB

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14416...d-with-pcie-40
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2019, 06:35 AM   #5
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Prices will be high on the new series.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2019, 01:32 PM   #6
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
might want to wait till the 7th and see what prices are on the new ones if you plan on a x570 MB

dat sexy

Quote:
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:23 PM   #7
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
ADATA SX8200
Is basically the same drive as the MP510 and seem to be cheaper then the corsair offering often.

There's honestly not a lot of noticeable performance difference even from a sata ssd to the fastest nvme drives for every day stuff like boot times or game load times if you check out reviews. It's mostly the synthetic benchmarks only were you see the difference and some very large file workloads will show improvements.

The cheaper option may be going with a smaller size nvme drive like in the 256gb range for an OS drive, and then for cost savings getting large 2.5" 1tb ssd's for program storage. Or perhaps something like the intel QLC 660p nvme
I am running the same drive. Fast as heck. On a cold boot it boots into windows in under 10 seconds.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:28 PM   #8
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

I'd be concerned with reliability first and foremost. Samsung SSDs are proven, not sure about Corsair.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:36 PM   #9
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

Dear God the HS on that thing is ugly. And bulky might not go in a slot where a pcie add in card is hanging over...

Is that HS really necessary? They say the controller could use some cooling on an nvme drive but the nand chips like to run warm and perform better that way.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2019, 07:46 AM   #10
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

Looks like the 1TB MP600 will be ~$250. No prices yet for Gigabyte, AFAIK.

The benchmark speeds are quicker but they're not that much quicker. My guess is real-life speed differences are not noticeable at all.

Think I may just pick up whatever 500gb I can find for ~$60 (my games are on a 1tb mx500) and wait for better firmware and price drops (hopefully)

Quote:
Old Jun 27, 2019, 08:38 AM   #11
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
I'd be concerned with reliability first and foremost. Samsung SSDs are proven, not sure about Corsair.
When you're looking to buy the cheaper drive reliability isn't the first concern.
Corsair's drive is cheap because it uses cheaper and less reliable Nand.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2019, 08:20 AM   #12
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
When you're looking to buy the cheaper drive reliability isn't the first concern.
Corsair's drive is cheap because it uses cheaper and less reliable Nand.
Is it really less reliable though? What proof do you have?

My Corsair drives have held up fantastic. I see plenty of people with dead Samsung drives, so what am I paying extra for again?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2019, 06:03 AM   #13
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You should be backing up your important data anyway. If you're relying on the reliability of any SSD (or HDD for that matter) you're just asking for trouble.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2019, 09:10 AM   #14
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

I got the 1TB for $120, we'll see how it does. I know Samsung is a "can't go wrong" choice, but IF this drive doesn't last, sucks, etc., and IF I get a X570 mobo, I'd be looking replacing it with a pcie4 drive anyway

Quote:
Old Jul 5, 2019, 09:20 AM   #15
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My 960Evo died on me, but the replacement is on the way. I will say that Samsung makes replacement super easy. No cost shipping to boot.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2019, 06:30 PM   #16
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
I got the 1TB for $120, we'll see how it does. I know Samsung is a "can't go wrong" choice, but IF this drive doesn't last, sucks, etc., and IF I get a X570 mobo, I'd be looking replacing it with a pcie4 drive anyway
I just ordered one of the 1 TBs too. It's not worth paying a $100 premium for a Samsung. In the past there was some justification based on performance, but not really with the MP510. Thanks for bringing the drive to my attention.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 05:01 PM   #17
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'm quite happy with my 512GB Intel 660p NVMe.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2019, 08:32 AM   #18
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have a 2TB 660p and I run my steam games off it. Those drives are fast compared to SATA SSD and allocate a portion of the QLC as SLC on a sliding scale.

The min and max SLC cache are posted here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13078...c-nand-arrives

I also own a Samsung 970 EVO Plus - that's a fast drive and is a boot drive on my single server I have. the 660p is in my main PC which is going to be nuked this weekend.

For the question of best value I just got one of these:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...id-state-drive

Currently 1TB for $98
Read Speed 3,100 MBps
Write Speed 1,900 MBps
Random Read 4K 520,000 IOPS
Random Write 4K 430,000 IOPS

Micro Center even sales them on Amazon now but I think they are a few dollars more.

I have not installed this yet but will this weekend with my used 3900x and MSI Meg X570 Ace and see what happens.
Edit: 1TB model has writes over 3,000 as well. Check Amazon reviews in link below.

Micro Center also had their own branded PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe drives! Since I could not find any M.2 water blocks I passed as all PCIe 4.0 stuff seems to act like heaters.

Edit: Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Inland-Premiu.../dp/B07RCM6DXK

Last edited by guest : Jul 9, 2019 at 08:52 AM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2019, 09:30 AM   #19
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's incredible how much performance we get from ssd sata/pcie nvme drives now. Even the cheapest ones. The only thing that really comes into play is reliability at this point. Waffling over paper numbers vs. real life performance is almost pointless. And that is a good thing.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 03:48 PM   #20
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
It's incredible how much performance we get from ssd sata/pcie nvme drives now. Even the cheapest ones. The only thing that really comes into play is reliability at this point. Waffling over paper numbers vs. real life performance is almost pointless. And that is a good thing.
I plan on upgrading to a ryzen 3600 at some point but I'm skeptical that an nvme drive is really worth it compared to my mx500. Quite frankly I've never noticed a difference when upgrading a SSD other than capacity.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2019, 04:27 PM   #21
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
I plan on upgrading to a ryzen 3600 at some point but I'm skeptical that an nvme drive is really worth it compared to my mx500. Quite frankly I've never noticed a difference when upgrading a SSD other than capacity.
When the drives are the same price and you're looking to hook up more than 6 sata drives those nvme drives become a bit more enticing. On the flip side of that if you wanna go minimalist without the added frustration of sata and power cables cluttering up your shitty cramped case () and with drives falling to prices that compare or beat the old hat sata 2.5 inch stuff that's double the pleasure and twice the fun.

If not for speed then convenience should be just enough to whip it out and pickle a few cucumbers. If you're still holding out then you're either using old hardware like a peasant or haven't realized prices have been dropping like a rock these past 6 months.

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:45 PM   #22
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
My 960Evo died on me, but the replacement is on the way. I will say that Samsung makes replacement super easy. No cost shipping to boot.
Had a 850 tank on me. They were awesome with the replacement. I got a brand new 860 out of it.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:20 PM   #23
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

So is it worth it using average nvme like adata xpg 8200 pro over average ssd like transcend sata ssd?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 01:11 AM   #24
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Sale on intel 660p QLC on right now. 1tb for 85$ at newegg via Toms HW. I like the 600p I have here also bought on sale works great still after 2 years.

Id buy intel again after reading they upped QLC R/W to TLC standards.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...eal,39948.html

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2019, 04:36 PM   #25
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
So is it worth it using average nvme like adata xpg 8200 pro over average ssd like transcend sata ssd?
You kind of have to check reviews. Some SSDs can be pretty junky, although I don't know if many NVME ones are.

But, I mean, in terms of performance, you probably won't be able to notice the difference unless you're going from one of the worst SSDs in existence. It's more like if you're upgrading to large capacity, then go ahead and pay up for an NVME since the premium isn't that big anymore. It's not worth upgrading for the actual performance increase for most people--if you're one that it's worth it for, then you'll already know that.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 02:02 AM   #26
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Also I want to know if a 256 GB drive is enough for windows 10 and all it's updates plus some multimedia apps and hardware related apps. Or do I need 512 for safety?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 02:53 AM   #27
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Also I want to know if a 256 GB drive is enough for windows 10 and all it's updates plus some multimedia apps and hardware related apps. Or do I need 512 for safety?
256 is fine. I have a fully updated windows 10 1903 with some editing software and a bunch of legacy save games and crap in my user folder and i still have like 134 gb free.

If you use those mech drives for games then you should be golden.

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:05 PM   #28
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
256 is fine. I have a fully updated windows 10 1903 with some editing software and a bunch of legacy save games and crap in my user folder and i still have like 134 gb free.

If you use those mech drives for games then you should be golden.
Mech drives? Do you mean regular hdd? Why?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:35 AM   #29
deadite_9
random and/or senseless

deadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydeadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Mech drives? Do you mean regular hdd? Why?
Because a lot of modern games are 50GB+ in size? 256GB is plenty for a boot drive, but unless you only ever want a small handful of games installed at any given time, you'd need more than just the smaller-sized SSD in order to fit everything.

:: HDTV
Samsung Q8FN (4K QLED, 65") :: A/V Onkyo TX-RZ830 ::
:: UHD
Sony UBP-X700 :: BD Oppo BDP-83 :: CD Onkyo DX-C390 ::
:: PHONO
Technics SL-1200MK2 :: GAME Xbox One X + PS4 Pro ::
:: FRONT
JBL SCS300SAT + FS1000 :: SW HSU Research STF-2 ::
:: CENTER
JBL EC35 (Black Ash) :: LFE HSU Research VTF-2 MK5 ::
:: SURROUND L/R
JBL SCS300SAT :: SW HSU Research STF-2 ::
:: SURR BACK L/R
JBL SCS300SAT :: SW HSU Research STF-1 ::

:: CPU
Core i7 7820X (4.5GHz) :: MB ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming ::
:: BIOS
1704 :: AIO Corsair H115i PRO + (2x) Noctua NF-A14 chromax ::
:: DDR4
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3000MHz (15-17-17-35) ::
:: GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Founders Edition :: LCD Acer Predator XB241H ::
:: AUDIO
ROG SupremeFX (S1220A) :: SPEAKERS Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ::
:: OS
Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903) :: NVME Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (512GB) ::
:: SSD
(1x) Samsung 850 PRO (512GB) + (3x) 850 EVO (1TB/1TB/1TB) ::
:: INPUT
Logitech G413 Silver + G MX518 + Xbox One Controller (wireless) ::
:: PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 + CableMod Pro series (black/white) ::
:: CASE
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (silver, DEMCiflex intake filters) ::
:: FANS
(2x) Noctua NF-P14s redux + (1x) NF-P14r redux ::
deadite_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:24 PM   #30
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite_9 View Post
Because a lot of modern games are 50GB+ in size? 256GB is plenty for a boot drive, but unless you only ever want a small handful of games installed at any given time, you'd need more than just the smaller-sized SSD in order to fit everything.
got 2 1tb and a 2tb SSD's for game drives
steam alone fills the 2tb

waiting for a 4tb to drop under 450
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07864XY8B...ing=UTF8&psc=1

now that I got game pass I may need another 2tb before the 4tb price drops

anybody know how the cheaper ones are

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...11&s=pc&sr=1-9

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

or maybe the
Samsung 860 QVO but warranty is only three years
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L31K2MK...078C515QL?th=1

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 31, 2019 at 12:35 PM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote