Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:03 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:27 PM   #182
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Is that yours?
nope, someone in china has it already I guess.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:08 PM   #183
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
still don’t understand this release.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:46 PM   #184
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
still don’t understand this release.
I don't either

but people will buy it and Intel did it also
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:48 PM   #185
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
ASUS Issues BIOS Updates To These Motherboards For AMD's Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs

Read more at https://hothardware.com/news/asus-bi...gZ1ztfjjyAB.99

one more month
Old Apr 30, 2019, 02:50 PM   #186
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

CPU is potentially my next purchase. Rocking an R5 1600 @ 3.5OC now, if I could get something at 4.5ghz to 5ghz, that would be amazing.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:27 PM   #187
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

<- 4770k... I want this next CPU to last me a few years. Looking at a 3850x.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 03:30 AM   #188
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Ryzen 3000 7nm Zen2 Processors Listed by Turkish Retailer

https://www.techquila.co.in/amd-ryze...n2-processors/
Old May 3, 2019, 03:33 AM   #189
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Lmao!! Is that an Erdogan source?
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 10:31 AM   #190
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Ya that listing doesnt make much sense. The 8 core and 16 core are slower than the 12 core? Why?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 10:53 AM   #191
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Ya that listing doesnt make much sense. The 8 core and 16 core are slower than the 12 core? Why?
Could be due to the chiplets and how they get to that number.

If they're just using 1 chiplet to get 8 cores then it could be a heat issue that lowers the maximum frequency as all of the 8 cores on that one chiplet need to be able to hit that number within power/heat limitations. If it were 2 chiplets then the 6x6 design (Two chiplets with 6 cores on each) could give you better numbers on both. If they're two chiplets then you'd have the power/heat dissipation over a larger area, and would not need all 8 cores on one chiplet to function at a lower voltage.

We often over simplify these modern CPUs as to being 4/6/8/etc. cores and just assume that they're all identical when they're not. Due to the imperfections that occur in the silicon you may have some cores on a chiplet that just need more juice from the socket to get to certain frequencies that over the entire CPU would result in higher voltage draw and temps on all cores.

Look at the 1600x from the original launch; a lot of those were going up to 4.1/4.2GHz whereas the 1700/1800x were deemed pretty lucky to hit that number with most getting 3.9Ghz and 'golden' samples going to 4Ghz with some higher voltages. The chiplet design allows AMD to bin these for all sorts of uses and charge a premium for those that are the highest performers. Also, look towards the Xeon and Epyc server loads; as the core counts go up the frequencies tend to go down.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 12:11 PM   #192
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

They should do a 8 core 4x4 then. They need 5 ghz on all 3 skus imo even if they have to be special skus like the 3850x.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 4, 2019, 07:33 AM   #193
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
They should do a 8 core 4x4 then. They need 5 ghz on all 3 skus imo even if they have to be special skus like the 3850x.
Well, it depends on what the new infinity fabric is like (or whatever they're calling it this go around) One of the drawbacks to the OG Ryzen was that the cross core communication added latency which in turn slowed down the performance if everything were not on the same CCX. It also suffered from some higher RAM latency than Intel which accounts for some of the issues in gaming. And a lower max clock...

Ryzen 2000s fixed some of these issues and closed the gap, though CCX communication was still a thing, allbeit a bit better. RAM latencies were brought down, still higher than Intel, and clocks increased somewhat, but still not 4.5+ GHz.

Ryzen 3000s, lets hope it is the real deal. There are larger caches so that might be their attempt to limit how often cross core communication latency matters, but who knows until we get some more concrete details other than a CineBench run matching a 9900k at lower power draw... If speeds/prices/performance is to be believed, my body is ready.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019, 11:15 AM   #194
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Wondering how they will count boost clocks tho... if the 5ghz plus chips only boots one core past 5 ghz. Or if the stated basic boost clocks are all cores. I might swing that 8 core 4.8 instead if its all core boost. Then finagle some good cooling for a slight oc to 5ghz on a core or 2. But id expect xfr3 to take care of that...

We probably wont know how they call these various boost clocks until we see em tested.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 4, 2019, 02:59 PM   #195
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Wondering how they will count boost clocks tho... if the 5ghz plus chips only boots one core past 5 ghz. Or if the stated basic boost clocks are all cores. I might swing that 8 core 4.8 instead if its all core boost. Then finagle some good cooling for a slight oc to 5ghz on a core or 2. But id expect xfr3 to take care of that...

We probably wont know how they call these various boost clocks until we see em tested.
2 cores boost 1 on each chiplet I think

if only one chiplet 1 core boost

but it maybe 4 cores 2 on each chiplet

but it will not be all

Last edited by bill dennison : May 4, 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:49 AM   #196
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

When is this out? Will it be faster than a 8086K at 5 G in gaming?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019, 11:00 AM   #197
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
2 cores boost 1 on each chiplet I think

if only one chiplet 1 core boost

but it maybe 4 cores 2 on each chiplet

but it will not be all
Theres like 2 boost clocks now maybe they'll add a third. Ive seen 4-6 core boost on my 1700x.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 5, 2019, 02:05 PM   #198
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Theres like 2 boost clocks now maybe they'll add a third. Ive seen 4-6 core boost on my 1700x.

with two chiplets it maybe more like threadripper
Old May 5, 2019, 02:51 PM   #199
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
with two chiplets it maybe more like threadripper
Everyone's jumping on the hype wagon again and it's going to end in tears
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019, 03:37 PM   #200
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post

only for people who couldn't wait

i'll be fine upgrading my 1800x
Old May 5, 2019, 03:47 PM   #201
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

It's 2019 all core boost or nothing.

Both my 2500k and this 6600k do all core boost at 4.6 ghz.

Come on AMD >:E

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019, 05:02 PM   #202
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
It's 2019 all core boost or nothing.

Both my 2500k and this 6600k do all core boost at 4.6 ghz.

Come on AMD >:E
FWIW, Ryzen 2700X at all core boost of 4.1 GHz is almost certainly faster than your 2500K at 4.6 GHz. So, clock speed isn't everything.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019, 05:05 PM   #203
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
FWIW, Ryzen 2700X at all core boost of 4.1 GHz is almost certainly faster than your 2500K at 4.6 GHz. So, clock speed isn't everything.
Well it's good that its a file server cpu now isnt it gai ^_^

My main currently is the 6600k until Zen 2 proves itself.

-"---"-
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Old May 5, 2019, 06:03 PM   #204
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
They hype wagon is Intel's this generation. Their chip shortage and their inability to shrink their die has sent a lot of people over to AMD.
Old May 5, 2019, 06:10 PM   #205
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I’d really hope that the 2700X was faster than a chip released in 2011..

I think the point is that all core boost is the only boost that should be advertised.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019, 06:57 PM   #206
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
only for people who couldn't wait

i'll be fine upgrading my 1800x
Couldn't wait says Bill who had to buy a 2080ti having slagged it off for months As it turns out I'm very happy with my 2700 thank you as I'm finally rid of quad core shintel. Modestly overclocking it to 3.8 on all cores puts it to within 3% or so of my old 7700K at 4.8 so not too shabby. And it's way much quieter.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 06:13 AM   #207
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I’d really hope that the 2700X was faster than a chip released in 2011..

I think the point is that all core boost is the only boost that should be advertised.
Yes plz :D

-"---"-
Old May 6, 2019, 06:28 AM   #208
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
All cores can boost to those speeds. Just not at the same time.

That's why they advertise chips as core speed and boost speed.
Old May 6, 2019, 06:37 AM   #209
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
All cores can boost to those speeds. Just not at the same time.

That's why they advertise chips as core speed and boost speed.
Both my intel chips have done all core at the same time since they came out of the box and I oc'd them to 4.6ghz.

*pokes AMD*

-"---"-
Old May 6, 2019, 07:16 AM   #210
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Couldn't wait says Bill who had to buy a 2080ti having slagged it off for months As it turns out I'm very happy with my 2700 thank you as I'm finally rid of quad core shintel. Modestly overclocking it to 3.8 on all cores puts it to within 3% or so of my old 7700K at 4.8 so not too shabby. And it's way much quieter.
I don’t know what kind of benchmarks you’re using but the 2700X @ 3.8 is no where near 3% of your 7700K @ 4.8 in the large majority of games.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote