Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:22 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
How good is Intel's 14nm++++ compare to TSMC/Samsung 7nm?
going by the 9900k it's out of gas
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2018, 04:56 PM   #32
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
going by the 9900k it's out of gas
Unless they start selling their next CPU based off the same technology with a Liquid nitrogen cooler in the box.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2018, 05:26 PM   #33
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
Unless they start selling their next CPU based off the same technology with a Liquid nitrogen cooler in the box.
in between the Intel's heat and power draw and their bug infestation problems

i'm very glad I went Ryzen and Threadripper

can't wait for 7nm

…..
but I do have a extra 5 ton ac condenser on the side of the house that mignt cool Intel's next 14nm chip

60,000 BTU's maybe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:17 AM   #34
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Some interesting tidbits at anandtech:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13578...rk-papermaster

Quote:
IC: With the FP units now capable of doing 256-bit on their own, is there a frequency drop when 256-bit code is run, similar to when Intel runs AVX2?

MP: No, we don’t anticipate any frequency decrease. We leveraged 7nm. One of the things that 7nm enables us is scale in terms of cores and FP execution. It is a true doubling because we didn’t only double the pipeline with, but we also doubled the load-store and the data pipe into it.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:39 AM   #35
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Some interesting tidbits at anandtech:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13578...rk-papermaster

Old Nov 12, 2018, 02:21 PM   #36
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

That IO chip is huge. Must have gobs of L4 cache. Looking forward to see that and the much improved latencies and timings scrutinized.

Im trying to find out how much throttling is going on in AVX workloads on intel cpus and if games will leverage it much in the coming years. So far seems very few games use AVX and those that do dont need it to run.

As for throttling seems intel only neuters the boost clocks under avx with recent cpus. Older models seemed to get hobbled by 30%...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 12, 2018, 02:33 PM   #37
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
That IO chip is huge. Must have gobs of L4 cache. Looking forward to see that and the much improved latencies and timings scrutinized.

Im trying to find out how much throttling is going on in AVX workloads on intel cpus and if games will leverage it much in the coming years. So far seems very few games use AVX and those that do dont need it to run.

As for throttling seems intel only neuters the boost clocks under avx with recent cpus. Older models seemed to get hobbled by 30%...
Well there's AVX (Sandy Bridge), AVX2 (Haswell), and AVX-512 (Skylake-X). Zen doesn't support AVX-512.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2018, 03:40 PM   #38
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...igher-ipc.html

Quote:
During last weeks presentation, there was a bit of confusion about the actual IPS performance increase for the 7nm Zen 2 architecture. Was the generational improvement including clock frequency the result of a ~25% perf increase or was that IPC. Well, as it turns out right now it's actually 29% IPC.

The next-generation processor architecture would offer a 29 percent IPC increase when compared to the original "Zen" architecture. It's quite a lot and I'd take it with a grain of salt. Then again, the architecture is substantially different and if you look back at AMD prior to Ryzen, they achieved a 52% IPC increase there as well. So it is not unheard of.

The news coming from Expreview mentions that AMD performed DKERN + RSA tests for integer and floating point units and that resulted into a score of 4.53, that was 3.5 for the first-generation Zen and that indeed is a 29.4 percent IPC. Of course, these are number from the manufacturer themselves and have to be observed with caution as other benchmarks have not been mentioned. So I have to add though, 29% "in certain workloads". Still, impressive.
Well, this is looking to be very interesting.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2018, 03:47 PM   #39
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Go AMD go!!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2018, 06:45 PM   #40
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

can't wait to see the Zen 2 12 and 16 core Threadripper 3's built on that
Old Nov 12, 2018, 06:56 PM   #41
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Or even 12-16 core on am4. If the IO chip is that cache heavy it would go a long way to helping am4 platforms with just dual channel memory.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 12, 2018, 07:50 PM   #42
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...igher-ipc.html

Well, this is looking to be very interesting.
Comment by looncraz was interesting regarding gaming.

https://www.techpowerup.com/249450/a...?cp=4#comments

Quote:
We can't read anything more from these results other than Zen 2 is ~30% faster when doing mixed integer and floating point workloads.

However, that particular scenario is actually very common. For games, specifically, we should see a large jump - mixed integer, branch, and floating point work loads with significant cross communication is exactly what the cores see in heavy gaming loads - Intel has won here because they have a unified scheduler, making it easier to get FPU results back to dependent instructions which will execute on an ALU (which might even be the same port on Intel...), it looks like AMD has aimed for superiority on this front.
If they get 30% in gaming that will be huge.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 12, 2018, 08:58 PM   #43
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

That's great news. I hope AMD take the gaming crown. I don't think Intel could answer that sort of defecit any time soon.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:21 AM   #44
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm glad I held off on that intel 9900K space heater.

If I can milk a few more months out of this 4770K then my next upgrade will be to a Zen 2 processor.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 03:22 AM   #45
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeh bro. I was going to skip 9900k anyway, but if AMD produces these sort of results then I'll happily switch. Can't wait for reviews.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:15 PM   #46
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD EPYC Rome With 64 Zen Core 2 Cores Based on 7nm Technology Clock Speed Revealed – 2.35 GHz Inside The Hawk Supercomputer
https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-6...ocks-2-35-ghz/
Old Nov 22, 2018, 05:14 PM   #47
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Crazy prices for TR

1950x for 400$ on newegg

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 26, 2018, 01:25 PM   #48
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD’s Zen 2 7nm CPU Core to Feature Double the L3 Cache Size
Quote:
We have already covered the bulk of new architectural improvements that AMD is bringing to the table with its next generation Zen 2 core built on TSMC’s 7nm process tech. Which you can find in the link above, however here’s a refresher of some of the key enhancements :
•Improved Execution Pipeline
•Doubled Floating Point (256-bit) and Load/Store (Doubled Bandwidth)
•Doubled Core Density
•Half the Energy Per Operation
•Improved Branch Prediction
•Better Instruction Pre-Fetching
•Re-Optimized Instruction Cache
•Larger Op Cache
•Increased Dispatch / Retire Bandwidth
•Maintaining High Throughput for All Modes

And now, thanks to a leak on the SiSoft SANDRA database via TPU, we can also add double the L3 cache to that list. An entry for an upcoming ROME processor featuring the company’s Zen 2 core has popped up and it revealed that the 64 core chip actually features a whopping 256MB of L3 cache. That’s 16 MB per CCX, double that of the previous generation.
https://wccftech.com/amds-next-gen-z...l3-cache-size/
Old Nov 27, 2018, 05:41 PM   #49
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD CTO on Zen 3, 7nm+ CPU Architecture: Will Primarily Leverage Efficiency With Some Modest Performance Opportunities
https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-7nm-e...ormance-gains/
Old Dec 1, 2018, 05:26 PM   #50
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Dominates Retail CPU Sales in November, Outsells Intel 2 to 1 at Germany’s Largest E-Tailer
https://wccftech.com/amd-dominates-r...-intel-2-to-1/

go AMD go

and now make a killer GPU
Old Dec 2, 2018, 01:39 PM   #51
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-x57...0-series-leaks

Quote:
The dust has barely had time to settle on AMD's X470 chipset, which launched alongside its second-generation Ryzen processors. Looking ahead, however, X570 is now right around the corner, or so the latest leak says. One thing that's interesting about the upcoming chipset is that it supposedly will offer PCI Express Gen 4 support.

If the X570 does indeed end up supporting PCIe 4.0, as the latest leak indicates, it will be AMD's first chipset to do so, and the first consumer platform in general. It also stands to reason that AMD's upcoming Zen 2 processors (Ryzen 3000 series) will support PCIe 4.0 too.

Whether the leaked information is accurate or not, it's impossible to say (AMD doesn't talk about unreleased products, and nothing has been announced yet). This is all based on a slide at Gamer.com.tw. The slide appears to be several months old, as it highlights AMD's B450 chipset and Athlon 200GE series as being unreleased as well.

According to the slide, AMD will launch its X570 chipset at Computex. That's still several months away—Computex 2019 gets underway on May 28 and runs through June 1.

While it's wise to always take leaks and rumors with a generous heaping of salt, it wouldn't surprise us if Zen 2 (otherwise known as Matisse) ends up supporting PCIe 4.0. AMD appears to be embracing the updated spec—it recently launched Radeon Instinct MI60 accelerator is the world's first 7-nanometer GPU to boast PCIe 4.0 support, which doubles the bandwidth over PCIe 3.0 solutions.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 05:41 PM   #52
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
cool I'll grab a new x570 MB first thing

navi is pcie 4.0 also from what I read
Old Dec 2, 2018, 07:06 PM   #53
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

I know this shtick has been beat to death, but is AMD smoother again with Ryzen? People are saying that the keyboard and mouse are being interrupted directly on the cpu and that it makes for incredible feel in game. Can anyone testify to this?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 06:02 AM   #54
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fO Che -USA- View Post
I know this shtick has been beat to death, but is AMD smoother again with Ryzen? People are saying that the keyboard and mouse are being interrupted directly on the cpu and that it makes for incredible feel in game. Can anyone testify to this?
I noticed smoother game play from my i5 to 1700, but that could be entirely due to the 4c/4t vs 8c/16t difference in some games maxing out the i5 whereas the 1700 has tons of headroom.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2018, 05:36 PM   #55
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Intel is well and truly ****ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdsTBsH-rI&t=0s

3700x and a 580x MB
Old Dec 4, 2018, 07:11 PM   #56
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Dem rumours look good.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2018, 07:28 PM   #57
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

I don't believe it. What will threadripper spec be?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2018, 07:55 PM   #58
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

3850x for me.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 08:54 PM   #59
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That is most certainly fud. There’s no way they’re selling a 12c/24thread chip for $299. The clock speeds are also absurd. I understand moving to TSMC will help but those increases are nuts.

If it’s true, then yep, RIP Intel, but I’d keep a lot of salt ready for this one.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:00 PM   #60
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
That is most certainly fud. There’s no way they’re selling a 12c/24thread chip for $299. The clock speeds are also absurd. I understand moving to TSMC will help but those increases are nuts.

If it’s true, then yep, RIP Intel, but I’d keep a lot of salt ready for this one.
the 16 core lines up
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA2W08FK6524

a 100 less than a 1950x

without the 4 channel memory and all those pcie lanes

and I think they will keep the same 499 cap on ryzen as thhe 1800x was

so the 12 core 3700x maybe 399 at most I think
but if it is 5GHz and 15%+ IPC I'll would pay a little more if need be

they have been says around 5GHz max boost on ryzen for almost a year but I don't know maybe

7nm will make them cheaper and cheaper as it goes along
and they maybe cutting them close to cost at first to get more market share

and 7nm and TSMC may well get them to 5GHz
I think GF hurt them on the last ones .