Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Aug 26, 2019, 09:07 PM   #3751
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Those who love that quote should tell that to Google "but but... it's not real 4k! (or whatever)"

https://newatlas.com/google-raisr-im...olution/46434/

They should just tell Google to sharpen the image itself with just a sharpening filter.
freestyle sharpening is cheaper for NV than DLSS .
so dlss will lose

and i'll buy AMD or NV whichever is faster but a close tie goes to AMD
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:23 PM   #3752
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Did it ever occur to the video reviewer to test Dlss with image sharpening?

Back during Nvidia's fx' architecture there was a global setting called image sharpening and was a great flexible tool to add sharper detail in virtually any game with a slider. It wasn't supported starting with 8800 gtx and future products and generations.

Then came FreeStyle and more awareness and flexible tools for the gamer . I personally asked Timothy Lottes, the engineer that worked on Nvidia's Txaa years ago, what Nvidia's thoughts were about the tool suite Sweetfx and are they thinking of adding similar tools? He basically offered, we may be interested and looking into it

Dlss and FreeStyle are different and not competing with each other. Dlss is a game specific feature with its unique strengths and FreeStyle is more of a game global feature that can enhance many titles and Dlss.

Last edited by SIrPauly : Aug 26, 2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Minor corrections
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2019, 04:00 AM   #3753
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

That's exactly right. I would have thought that's an obvious thing to test - perhaps they're not compatible? DLSS plus image sharpening should be the pinnacle of filtering in its current form (I miss real SSAA). Hardware unboxed are usually pretty good, I'll suggest they add it to their testing.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 27, 2019, 04:06 AM   #3754
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Are you a discord member? Tell them I said hi.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 04:11 AM   #3755
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Nah. Maybe you can pass it along - test DLSS + image sharpening.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 05:17 AM   #3756
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
That's exactly right. I would have thought that's an obvious thing to test - perhaps they're not compatible? DLSS plus image sharpening should be the pinnacle of filtering in its current form (I miss real SSAA). Hardware unboxed are usually pretty good, I'll suggest they add it to their testing.

I asked Blaire from Germany if he could investigate Dlss and FreeStyle some time ago and shared some in-depth findings: impressed with metro and how it handled artifacts and the clarity was fine with the updated version. He targeted areas like shader aliasing. He didn't like the softness with the other Dlss implementations and the older detail sharpen filter wasn't robust enough and made the image more-so fake than realistic. FreeStyle was compatible with Dlss. The new FreeStyle sharpen filter seems to be very robust with flexibility,which was needed.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 09:52 PM   #3757
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's been a while and I am not a fan of DLSS. it makes Battlefield look substantially worse and Metro looks good but it does not work with HDR in Metro. It no longer causes color issues but it pretty much ignores the HDR setting when using DLSS.

I had thought that with time for the learning portion, it could be something really nice but as it stands now, I think it was just a good idea.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2019, 08:04 PM   #3758
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
It's been a while and I am not a fan of DLSS. it makes Battlefield look substantially worse and Metro looks good but it does not work with HDR in Metro. It no longer causes color issues but it pretty much ignores the HDR setting when using DLSS.

I had thought that with time for the learning portion, it could be something really nice but as it stands now, I think it was just a good idea.
Honestly, it was more like a bad idea. It's too impractical since it requires machine learning. For it to be worth it, the end result would have to be amazing, but the reality is that best case scenario it's a small improvement over standard AA/upscaling methods (and even then it's debatable).

The fact machine learning works for much more specific and homogeneous tasks, like medical imaging, doesn't mean it's going to work well for games. In fact, all indications so far are that it doesn't.

And don't forget, Nvidia is wasting their money running some super computer to do the machine learning. And they're potentially running it over and over again whenever something changes with a game. Developers aren't paying for it, and they won't pay for it. (Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if Nvidia is actually paying developers for the hassle of integrating it into their games.)

Mark my words, Nvidia are going to drop DLSS like a bad habit, the first chance they get.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2019, 02:17 AM   #3759
demo
space cadet

I think it's just a gimmick to help sell [expensive] defective Quadro chips to gamers. With the small bump in Raster performance, they need to justify the expense of those Tensor cores to gamers.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 04:36 AM   #3760
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Nvidia also uses the Tensor cores to denoise the ray tracing effects.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 01:23 AM   #3761
demo
space cadet

Sure, but that hasn't been so impressive yet either imho.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 07:43 AM   #3762
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Have you seen any noise artifacts in any ray traced games? If not, then using tensor cores for denoising seems to be doing an impressive job. Better it be on the tensor cores than the CPU.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:06 AM   #3763
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I'll take a guess where there may be noise: dynamic surfaces like waves, and maybe some noise with path raytracing.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 01:34 PM   #3764
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Have you seen any noise artifacts in any ray traced games? If not, then using tensor cores for denoising seems to be doing an impressive job. Better it be on the tensor cores than the CPU.
Think i misspoke earlier: the Tensor cores do support hardware or accelerated a i denoising, but believe nvidia is using various filters to do the denoising currently.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:26 AM   #3765
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Nvidia also uses the Tensor cores to denoise the ray tracing effects.
What do the cores even do on a 1660ti.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:03 AM   #3766
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
They do core ****. Get with the program.....
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:03 AM   #3767
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Integer upscaling.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:47 AM   #3768
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Does your card have tensor cores?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:36 PM   #3769
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is Nvidia discussing raytracing and denoising, informative watch:

https://youtu.be/7uPLAC5uB8c
Old Aug 31, 2019, 01:53 PM   #3770
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Here is Nvidia discussing raytracing and denoising, informative watch:

https://youtu.be/7uPLAC5uB8c
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Aug 31, 2019, 07:15 PM   #3771
demo
space cadet

Quote:
I meant Ray Tracing.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 07:39 PM   #3772
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Bill and many others may find this sleep worthy but i found this Dlss a i training video from Nvidia interesting; it actually discusses bugs and fixes:

https://youtu.be/mDlqLfRGmYk

Last edited by SIrPauly : Aug 31, 2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Typo
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2019, 08:13 PM   #3773
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 09:04 PM   #3774
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Hehe, the reason why i find developers' discussions interesting is they're willing to discuss limitations or cons where pr or marketing strictly discusses positives.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 01:50 AM   #3775
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Does your card have tensor cores?
Ah no, I remember at the time they said it may as it was reported by software it did. But reading up on it again it was false, nevermind.

Someone release a 3080ti already so I can upgrade

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Sep 1, 2019, 03:44 PM   #3776
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Only problem with the 3080 Ti is going to be when they decide to release it. This time they had too, as the 2080 was only equaling the 1080 Ti. They usually hold on to the Ti for a ways down the road, if the 3080 only does 2080 Ti performance then I would suspect they release the 3080 Ti at the same time.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2019, 07:06 PM   #3777
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Only problem with the 3080 Ti is going to be when they decide to release it. This time they had too, as the 2080 was only equaling the 1080 Ti. They usually hold on to the Ti for a ways down the road, if the 3080 only does 2080 Ti performance then I would suspect they release the 3080 Ti at the same time.
Spring 2020 seems like a safe bet since that's when AMD's next refresh is expected, along with something from Intel.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 07:40 PM   #3778
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Spring 2020 seems like a safe bet since that's when AMD's next refresh is expected, along with something from Intel.
AMD will show it maybe it ces 2020 and will be out july or august like last time
and they will want the 5700 tx out for a full year

if they got something good they will let NV go first then under cut them

but then NV is using Samsung fab for the first time so they maybe late and not be a big jump in performance 30% to 40%
Old Sep 2, 2019, 02:04 PM   #3779
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
along with something from Intel.

Old Sep 8, 2019, 07:44 AM   #3780
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Get it while it’s hot! Finally the price it should have been at release. $714.99. Still not buying!(B-Stock open box)

https://www.cdw.com/product/pny-gefo...730836?pfm=srh

Last edited by Nascar24 : Sep 8, 2019 at 08:00 AM.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote