Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 2, 2018, 05:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Intel cpu bug. Os patch might reduce perf up to 30%

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

yeah I mean I doubt we will see that much performance difference in games but will be interesting to see this tested out.

in terms of security oh man they done ****ed up.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 05:57 PM   #3
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

This just in.. Intel's next gen CPUs to boost performance by 30%! Pre-order now!
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 2, 2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

If the 30% performance hit is true then that eliminates Intel's IPC lead.

**** just got real son.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 08:02 PM   #5
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
If the 30% performance hit is true then that eliminates Intel's IPC lead.

**** just got real son.
Did the author pull the 30% number out of his ass?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Meanwhile at AMD...

Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 08:17 PM   #7
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Do you think people will start a lawsuit if performance is that huge?
It sounds it'll affect Cloud VM machines than everyday users.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/co..._bug_incoming/

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Last edited by 0091/2 : Jan 2, 2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 08:55 PM   #8
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Did the author pull the 30% number out of his ass?
The article references The Register. Their article has more details.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/
Old Jan 2, 2018, 09:30 PM   #9
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...5-x86pti&num=2

Someone has done some benchmarks already. Gaming performance is unaffected but some hits are massive depending on the tasks. Could be up to 35% performance loss now.

I see a lawsuit in Intel's future.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Jan 2, 2018, 09:49 PM   #10
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

After the success of Ryzen and TR, this is great news for AMD.

I hear VIA is releasing an 8-core chip that rivals Ryzen2 performance next year, this could be great for competition in the CPU market - to knock Intel down a peg or two.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:11 PM   #11
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

This hits them where it hurts the most.,, Data centers!

These types of performance loses at that scale cost these companies a fortune. I predict AMD stock is going to be on the up very soon.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:28 PM   #12
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Intel buyer

10 years wonder how long intel has know about it ?

glad I still have all my old intel chips after the lawsuits maybe I can return them

Last edited by bill dennison : Jan 2, 2018 at 11:43 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:46 PM   #13
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Dont suppose this lawsuit goes back to the celeron 300a? It was my last intel cpu. Mind you I doubt I can find it... its buried in the basement...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:52 PM   #14
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

On the plus, gaming isn't affected.

On the plus, when giving ETAs on projects and go lives at work I'll have to factor this in.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:58 PM   #15
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post

On the plus, when giving ETAs on projects and go lives at work I'll have to factor this in.
on Linux
I don't know many that game on Linux

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...l-Gaming-Tests

have you seen any benchmarks on windows 7/8/10 ?

is the windows fix out yet ?

Quote:
Programmers are scrambling to overhaul the open-source Linux kernel's virtual memory system. Meanwhile, Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce the necessary changes to its Windows operating system in an upcoming Patch Tuesday: these changes were seeded to beta testers running fast-ring Windows Insider builds in November and December.
in other news
Quote:
Intel's CEO Just Sold a Lot of Stock
Quote:
On Nov. 29
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...-of-stock.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnkJ8_BmSI

Last edited by bill dennison : Jan 3, 2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 02:47 AM   #16
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

I am not happy about this even if it's intel.On the other hand do they knew about this and it was discovered by the public in 2017 or it was discovered just popped out in this time frame for the first time ?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 02:56 AM   #17
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

now it get dumb

Quote:
Intel is secretly firefighting a major hardware security vulnerability affecting its entire x86 processor lineup. The hardware-level vulnerability allows unauthorized memory access between two virtual machines (VMs) running on a physical machine, due to Intel's flawed implementation of its hardware-level virtualization instruction sets. OS kernel-level software patches to mitigate this vulnerability, come at huge performance costs that strike at the very economics of choosing Intel processors in large-scale datacenters and cloud-computing providers, over processors from AMD. Ryzen, Opteron, and EPYC processors are inherently immune to this vulnerability, yet the kernel patches seem to impact performance of both AMD and Intel processors.

Close inspection of kernel patches reveal code that forces machines running all x86 processors, Intel or AMD, to be patched, regardless of the fact that AMD processors are immune. Older commits to the Linux kernel git, which should feature the line "if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)" (condition that the processor should be flagged "X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE" only if it's not an AMD processor), have been replaced with the line "/* Assume for now that ALL x86 CPUs are insecure */" with no further accepted commits in the past 10 days. This shows that AMD's requests are being turned down by Kernel developers. Their intentions are questionable in the wake of proof that AMD processors are immune, given that patched software inflicts performance penalties on both Intel and AMD processors creating a crony "level playing field," even if the latter doesn't warrant a patch. Ideally, AMD should push to be excluded from this patch, and offer to demonstrate the invulnerability of its processors to Intel's mess.
https://www.techpowerup.com/240187/a...kernel-patches
Old Jan 3, 2018, 06:17 AM   #18
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Yeah, from what I understand of the problem that's likely to remain the case going forward on both linux and Windows.

The whole thing has to do with access to kernel functionality, with the fix seemingly 'flush TLB/VM page table of kernel pages', which is something games generally don't do much of.

Things like disk IO might well take a hit/stall when the functions are called upon as they basically tunnel down to kernel level stuffs in some cases; but general frame-to-frame operations probably won't be impacted as things like gfx API code now sits largely in user land away from the kernel.

As others have mentioned, it'll be data centres and the like which get a bit of an ouch when it comes to this... I'd be surprised if gamers notice any problems however 👍
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2018, 06:25 AM   #19
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

They should bench AssCreed, since it uses VMProtect to see if it impacts performance.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

https://danluu.com/cpu-bugs/

EDITED:

Quote:
After writing this, an ex-Intel employee said “even with your privileged access, you have no idea” and a pseudo-anonymous commenter on reddit made this comment:
As someone who worked in an Intel Validation group for SOCs until mid-2014 or so I can tell you, yes, you will see more CPU bugs from Intel than you have in the past from the post-FDIV-bug era until recently.
Why?
Let me set the scene: It’s late in 2013. Intel is frantic about losing the mobile CPU wars to ARM. Meetings with all the validation groups. Head honcho in charge of Validation says something to the effect of: “We need to move faster. Validation at Intel is taking much longer than it does for our competition. We need to do whatever we can to reduce those times… we can’t live forever in the shadow of the early 90’s FDIV bug, we need to move on. Our competition is moving much faster than we are” - I’m paraphrasing. Many of the engineers in the room could remember the FDIV bug and the ensuing problems caused for Intel 20 years prior. Many of us were aghast that someone highly placed would suggest we needed to cut corners in validation - that wasn’t explicitly said, of course, but that was the implicit message. That meeting there in late 2013 signaled a sea change at Intel to many of us who were there. And it didn’t seem like it was going to be a good kind of sea change. Some of us chose to get out while the getting was good. As someone who worked in an Intel Validation group for SOCs until mid-2014 or so I can tell you, yes, you will see more CPU bugs from Intel than you have in the past from the post-FDIV-bug era until recently.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210

Last edited by Treeckcold57 : Jan 3, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:41 AM   #21
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:56 AM   #22
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I hope Microsoft isn't doing the same thing.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:58 AM   #23
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Quote:
I'm sure AMD will get it sorted out for next round after this. Probably just a temporary till they figure it out. But I dunno. *shrugged*

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:15 AM   #24
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Intel is forcing developers to implement it regardless of CPU. Doesn't surprise, can't lose performance to the competition.

Gonna offload the 8700K as soon as Ryzen2 hits.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:33 AM   #25
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Intel is forcing developers to implement it regardless of CPU. Doesn't surprise, can't lose performance to the competition.

How does Intel force developers to do that?

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:39 AM   #26
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
How does Intel force developers to do that?
money money money

if true i'm sure AMD will sue

Quote:
AMD shares surge on report of an Intel chip security flaw
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/03/amd-...rity-flaw.html
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:46 PM   #27
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Why you offload the 8700k ? Are you using VM ?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 01:03 PM   #28
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Dont suppose this lawsuit goes back to the celeron 300a? It was my last intel cpu. Mind you I doubt I can find it... its buried in the basement...
If there is a class action on 10 years of CPU sales they are going to be in trouble. Its like the takata airbag fiasco. Years and years of parts/sales. Depending on the settlement this seems like it could really hurt Intel.
Quote:
Better not be. I know a lot of people gonna be real upset if their AMD cpu takes a dive because of an Intel issue. I've already heard the conspiracy theorists talking about how it absolutely MUST be Intel bribing/colluding to make it happen.

You need proof of that before you can win in court.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2018, 01:27 PM   #29
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

WHat it looks like Intel is doing is trying to convince developers that its in their ( developers ) best interest to target all x86 CPU's let it be Intel, AMD or whoever just to be on the safe side. AMD is turning around and saying it doesn't effect our CPU's because we don't let anything access the Kernel at that level.

All AMD has to do is prove it, and it should be easy enough for them to do so.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 02:11 PM   #30
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I am skeptical whether lawsuits are going to be very successful. If it's an inadvertent bug then it's not like Intel has been misrepresenting anything, and what were the alternatives anyway? Bulldozer based processors are probably still slower even after the fix. Ryzen only came out in the last year. So, it's not like these companies could have bought anything else even if performance was lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
After the success of Ryzen and TR, this is great news for AMD.

I hear VIA is releasing an 8-core chip that rivals Ryzen2 performance next year, this could be great for competition in the CPU market - to knock Intel down a peg or two.
I doubt anything claimed by VIA.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote