Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:58 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Nvidia Volta teased 3 high end models

Old Aug 13, 2016, 06:50 PM   #2
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

I wonder why the sudden rush? I don't remember card releases being teased or released this quickly in the last 5 years...

What's coming that needs so much graphics powerhousing so quickly?
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2016, 06:54 PM   #3
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
I wonder why the sudden rush? I don't remember card releases being teased or released this quickly in the last 5 years...

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 13, 2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
Clickbait anyone?

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2016, 07:32 PM   #5
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

they know Hap will buy a new card every month if it nv and a new top card
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
they know Hap will buy a new card every month if it nv and a new top card
Jen just calls me up when he has something new too sell. That's why this is click bait because I haven't heard from him yet. Don't expect to till around April.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:38 AM   #7
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

In terms of graphics cards, Vega is a brown dwarf compared to Nvidia's quasars.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nah, Vega is a small asteroid or meteor, Pascal is a giant star, and Volta is a blue supergiant star.

Naturally, Einstein will be a supermassive black hole. Nothing will survive crossing it's event horizon, not even AMD.
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2016, 05:21 PM   #10
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think AMD was indicating Vega will be the big update, whole line of cards. 2017 5xx series and hopefully something decent on the high end. Pascal is it for this year with a big (hopefully successful) Zen launch remaining.

Nvidia probably already knows the storm coming as well. They have the bucks to push up Volta as backup. Node change is complete, time to have some fun with it. I expect Volta to be out next year depending upon Vega performance when. Could be June-December. AMD if they have a great chip they need to make enough cards for that small window of opportunity. What is holding them back even now with Polaris is their production rate. Also AMD timing is off, you need to get the big stuff out around September for the Christmas buying season and not afterwards when many folks are broke.
Ryzen 1700x 3.9ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus CrossHair 6 Hero 9, 16gb DDR4 3200 @ 3466, EVGA 1080 Ti, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive + 256mb Mushkin SSD + 512gb Samsung 850evo M.2 in enclosure for Sata III and 2x 1tb WD SATA III, 34" Dell " U3415W IPS + 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win10 Pro

Custom SFF built case, I7 6700k OC 4.4ghz, PowerColor R9 Nano,, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive, 16gb DDR 4 3000 Corsair LPX, LG 27" 4K IPS FreeSync 10bit monitor, Win 10
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2016, 05:31 PM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Volta was reportedly pushed up to as early as May, so we could absolutely see cards by June. That would be impressive..

I'm hoping Vega is a beast.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2016, 07:24 PM   #12
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

It kind of makes sense since Pascal seems to have mostly just been a die shrink of Maxwell. Nvidia is almost employing the Intel tick-tock strategy.

That being said, when are we going to see cards to fill out the lower end, and laptop GPU segments? We're not seeing anything there at all. The 860M is over two years old.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2016, 08:53 PM   #13
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Volta has not been "pushed up", Nvidia has a commitment to deliver Volta in 2017 to fulfill a supercomputer contract.

When Nvidia delivers Volta to consumers is the matter of discussion. If Vega is not even competitive with the 1070, 1080, and new Titan X, they can delay as long as they feel like it to keep enjoying Pascal sales.

The 1060M is supposedly coming out later this year, in addition to the 1070M and 1080M which will refresh Nvidia's laptop GPU line from top to bottom.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:21 AM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
I think AMD was indicating Vega will be the big update, whole line of cards. 2017 5xx series and hopefully something decent on the high end. Pascal is it for this year with a big (hopefully successful) Zen launch remaining.

Nvidia probably already knows the storm coming as well. They have the bucks to push up Volta as backup. Node change is complete, time to have some fun with it. I expect Volta to be out next year depending upon Vega performance when. Could be June-December. AMD if they have a great chip they need to make enough cards for that small window of opportunity. What is holding them back even now with Polaris is their production rate. Also AMD timing is off, you need to get the big stuff out around September for the Christmas buying season and not afterwards when many folks are broke.
Yeah, I'm sure NV is shaking in their boots, pushing forward Volta to compete with the non-existent Vega. Remind me again which graphics card company currently is the market leader? Who has the fastest graphics card right now?
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:35 AM   #15
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

So Vega will compete with the 1070?
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2016, 02:25 PM   #16
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Yeah, I'm sure NV is shaking in their boots, pushing forward Volta to compete with the non-existent Vega. Remind me again which graphics card company currently is the market leader? Who has the fastest graphics card right now?
That all sounds familiar doesn't it? Sounds like Nokia and Blackberry about Apple and Sony about Microsoft. Look how that all turned out!

AMD have stated all along and they've never wavered that Polaris is for the mainstream this year and Vega is for the enthusiasts next year. What's hard to understand about that? In response Nvidia has released Pascal which is basically a die shrunk Maxwell on steroids with better colour compression. Good luck to them, strike while the iron's hot.

Despite all the fan boys I think (ergo I don't know and my understanding only) HBM2 could be a game changer and potentially Nvidia are behind the curve and therefore they're trying to maximise Pascal sales whilst they can. Why else would you release a Titan X when the 1080/1070 already dominate in that segment. You do it because you think/know time is of an essence and you want to maximise sales while you can. Pure conjecture on my part of course.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2016, 06:51 PM   #17
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
That all sounds familiar doesn't it? Sounds like Nokia and Blackberry about Apple and Sony about Microsoft. Look how that all turned out!

AMD have stated all along and they've never wavered that Polaris is for the mainstream this year and Vega is for the enthusiasts next year. What's hard to understand about that? In response Nvidia has released Pascal which is basically a die shrunk Maxwell on steroids with better colour compression. Good luck to them, strike while the iron's hot.

Despite all the fan boys I think (ergo I don't know and my understanding only) HBM2 could be a game changer and potentially Nvidia are behind the curve and therefore they're trying to maximise Pascal sales whilst they can. Why else would you release a Titan X when the 1080/1070 already dominate in that segment. You do it because you think/know time is of an essence and you want to maximise sales while you can. Pure conjecture on my part of course.
If memory bandwidth were what is needed to bring graphics performance to the next level then
a) don't you think NV would include HBM2 on their flagship 2016 part?
b) why does Fury suck so bad with all that bandwidth?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 08:24 PM   #18
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
If memory bandwidth were what is needed to bring graphics performance to the next level then
A) Too expensive still.

B) Fury actually is pretty impressive in DX12 and Vulkan. It's on par with the 1070 in that case. I think AMD's architecture really has not been being leveraged to the full extent. However the answer is also that I don't think Fury was beefy enough to take advantage of all that bandwidth. That will change with more powerful chips.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:34 PM   #19
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

The New Titan X uses GDDR5X because quite frankly, it doesn't need the bandwidth of HBM2 for it's intended consumer applications. This is the straight-up truth.

Let's see what happens when Vega comes out and tries to keep up with the New Titan X and GDDR5X with expensive low-yield HBM2 next year.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 07:08 AM   #20
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
A) Too expensive still.

B) Fury actually is pretty impressive in DX12 and Vulkan. It's on par with the 1070 in that case. I think AMD's architecture really has not been being leveraged to the full extent. However the answer is also that I don't think Fury was beefy enough to take advantage of all that bandwidth. That will change with more powerful chips.
So a card that launched at $650 with 4096 SPs and twice the bandwidth of a $450 card and sometimes matches it is "impressive" to you? If Fury taught us anything it is that bandwidth is not the limiting factor in graphics today.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 07:37 AM   #21
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
So a card that launched at $650 with 4096 SPs and twice the bandwidth of a $450 card and sometimes matches it is "impressive" to you? If Fury taught us anything it is that bandwidth is not the limiting factor in graphics today.
Yeah it's impressive when the Fury has been on the market for over a year and it's competing with a generation of cards that came out after it .. That's not a very difficult concept to comprehend.

It's not what Fury taught us. It's what DX12 has taught us thus far. AMDs drivers for DX11 were the limiting factor and their driver team is subpar at best. Now that the optimizations and driver shenanigans that NV has mastered don't matter as much anymore, you're seeing AMD cards get a nice boost.

I can't believe you're trying to compare Fury to the 1070 apples to apples when the Fury has been out for over a year and the 1070 hit the market mid 2016. Nice try though.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2016, 07:57 AM   #22
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
If Fury taught us anything it is that bandwidth is not the limiting factor in graphics today.
No, it taught you that with those drivers and the applications of the time bandwidth wasn't a limiting factor.

Drivers got out of the way; card improves in performance.

Without more analysis of the applications pin pointing the bottle neck at this point isn't possible - could be bandwidth, could be ALU, could still be front end command limited. For all we know the ALU could now be stalling due to waiting on memory requests.

More bandwidth is always good; lower latency is also nice.
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2016, 09:10 AM   #23
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

So soon... let us get to the 1080ti first.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:25 AM   #24
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvodka View Post
No, it taught you that with those drivers and the applications of the time bandwidth wasn't a limiting factor.

Drivers got out of the way; card improves in performance.

Without more analysis of the applications pin pointing the bottle neck at this point isn't possible - could be bandwidth, could be ALU, could still be front end command limited. For all we know the ALU could now be stalling due to waiting on memory requests.

More bandwidth is always good; lower latency is also nice.
Graphics workloads are not always compute-bound, and you know this. It is clear from a number of analyses that took place post-Fury launch that this is the case. See: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34022743 for example. Triangle throughput, cache hit rates, texture fetch rates, pixel fill rates, etc, etc, etc. all play a part in the graphics rendering pipeline, and these are some of the many reasons why NV's better-balanced architectures of the time out-performed the Fury in most workloads of the day.

Do we need more bandwidth than what is currently available for the graphics cards that are out now? No, demonstrably, empirically, emphatically. A simple overclock of RAM and GPU (individually) on any given graphics card of the day demonstrates this. OC the RAM by 10%, get 2-3% more performance. OC the GPU by 10%, get close to 10% more performance. Therefore, HBM2 is not a major benefit at this time.

Last edited by ShaidarHaran : Aug 16, 2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:25 AM   #25
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

And I never claimed it was 'always' anything?
I mean.. feel free to find an 'always' in that quote... I'll wait.

(I'd write more, but I'm sure you'd try to misquote/misrepresent that and I've got **** to do with my evening...)
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:01 PM   #26
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvodka View Post
And I never claimed it was 'always' anything?
I mean.. feel free to find an 'always' in that quote... I'll wait.

(I'd write more, but I'm sure you'd try to misquote/misrepresent that and I've got **** to do with my evening...)
Let me state it a different way.

Bandwidth needs increase with resolution. As resolution scales, time spent on compute increases compared to other stages of the rendering pipeline (take triangle setup, for example). This is why Fury cards did better @ higher resolutions, relatively (compared to the contemporary competition). My point is, not all workloads can be summed up as:
1) benefits from more compute
2) benefits from more bandwidth

I'm not trying to argue with you or belittle you, my initial comment was meant to indicate I know you understand this topic.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:39 PM   #27
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Big data and machine learning. The GP100 even has half or mixed precision compute operations specifically designed for this purpose.

http://www.nextplatform.com/2015/03/...learning-push/

NVIDIA is targeting the HPC world, especially for the push towards Exascale computing. They want to be the premier provider of cards for the next generation exa-FLOP machines.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 05:30 PM   #28
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
They did with the P100. That's where Volta will also be going. Pascal is a stop gap because they can't get enough HBM2. Look at their road map. Where is GDDR5x in 2017 in the high end. No where.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:12 PM   #29
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
They did with the P100. That's where Volta will also be going. Pascal is a stop gap because they can't get enough HBM2. Look at their road map. Where is GDDR5x in 2017 in the high end. No where.
Your supposition is without merit.

P100 has HBM2 because of the use cases for P100 which are far more bandwidth-constricted than graphics workloads which are mixed. Games require numerous and various graphics card resources to render scenes, many of those resources are not stored in the local frame buffer in order to save bandwidth. This is why we have things like texture caches (and other types) on GPUs.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 04:02 PM   #30
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Your supposition is without merit.

P100 has HBM2 because of the use cases for P100 which are far more bandwidth-constricted than graphics workloads which are mixed. Games require numerous and various graphics card resources to render scenes, many of those resources are not stored in the local frame buffer in order to save bandwidth. This is why we have things like texture caches (and other types) on GPUs.
I would argue that your supposition that HBM2 is not needed is also without merit. It's as clear as the nose on your face that both NV and AMD are moving to HBM2. They've both admitted it in the GPU road maps. Pascal was always slated by NV to be released with HBM2. Remember the boast of 3x the memory bandwidth of Maxwell? So if the extra bandwidth isn't required why are they doing it?

Don't get me wrong I think 1070/1080 are brilliant cards but they are not the cards NV was hoping to release. As a company Nvidia are far more inventive than AMD and when they saw a supply issue with HBM2 rather than delay their cards they worked closely with Micron on GDDR5X and were then able to release the 1080 which is quite impressive.

Conversely, as everyone knows, the Fury line-up was supposed to launch on 20nm but eventually AMD had to scrap that and write off millions in their accounts. So when the Fury lineup did finally launch on the old 28nm all Nvidia had to do was launch the 980ti as they knew they had the upper hand with Maxwell's better efficiency. That's why the Fury X sucked on performance against the 980ti. The Fury Pro on the other hand easily beat the 980 so was more of a performer.

What's also interesting was a recent article I read (I'll try and find it again) stated that the Hawaii architecture which is over 3 years old is now easily beating it's NV counterparts and it wondered if this might be the case for the Fury lineup.