Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:27 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
You only get tearing if you go above the framerate, you don't need vsync for Gsync to work, only if it goes above 144fps in my case will it stop working, hence the frame limiter.
Tearing is a direct result of the frame rendering out of sync with the re-fresh. That happens both above and below.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:01 PM   #32
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Tearing is a direct result of the frame rendering out of sync with the re-fresh. That happens both above and below.
Exactly it still happens. Just not as bad. BTW vsyc forced on doesn't activate vsync either it just does if it goes over but it also at the same time eleminates that remIning judder you still see
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:03 PM   #33
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Yes, but any monitor utilizing gsync/freesync is matching the refresh-rate to the frame-rate, thus they are always in-sync.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 22, 2019, 03:32 AM   #34
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, as long as the monitor is withing the gsync/freesync range it should be adapting to the frame rate output by the GPU, so you shouldn't get tearing. It shouldn't matter whether vsync is on or not as that only comes into play at the monitor's max refresh rate. Once you're outside the range, whether beyond the monitor's refresh rate, or some monitors don't have full coverage (mostly older Freesync ones, but I think there are fewer of them now) then you'll see tearing.

To be honest, whether to use vsync or frame limiters is really a bit of an academic discussion in my opinion. In theory using the frame limiters results in less input lag, but whether input lag from vsync is really that noticeable at 144 Hz is a bit debatable. I think a lot of people probably can't even notice it, and if you're playing an SP game you have to ask yourself whether it even matters. So, really, just do whatever you think is best.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2019, 03:48 AM   #35
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's certainly better but still think it's noticeable at 144hz. Definitely limit your FPS when using g/freesync.

I usually limit a few below max. If you limit to only 1 fps under it can often flicker to max refresh and you get intermittent input lag again. 2 or more to be safe imo.