Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Default Rant about SATA and power

Just wanted to rant. With HDDs pretty much dead and SSDs requiring much less power, why can't they just revise SATA interface to carry enough power to supply SSD. It is super annoying having to run a SATA cable plus a power cable to the SSD.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 01:27 PM   #2
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Just wanted to rant. With HDDs pretty much dead and SSDs requiring much less power, why can't they just revise SATA interface to carry enough power to supply SSD. It is super annoying having to run a SATA cable plus a power cable to the SSD.

SAS connectors have integrated power (and can be used for sata) but motherboards don't generally run that kind of connector, and most adapters from SATA<->SAS usually minimize the length of the molex power converter.

https://www.newegg.com/red-startech-...sPeg&gclsrc=ds

In theory they could make the power stubs the same length as the data cable and bundle them together, but don't think I've ever seen that.

That said, I think the industry is expecting NVME to take over, so no cabling anyway for the m.2 versions.

The "ssd device" types (2.5") have an integrated power I think.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Last edited by koralis : Jul 30, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:40 AM   #3
ugly
Radeon R520

ugly is still being judged by the masses

I think it's a little early to say HDDs are dead. Until you can get a 5TB+ SSD at a reasonable price, HDDs and SSDs still serve different needs.

NVME is nice, but they take up a lot of space because they connect to the motherboard and lie flat. I haven't looked, so maybe they are out there, but you'd need some type of cable connection if you wanted extra drives.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 3, 2019, 04:32 PM   #4
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Spinning rust can in some cases use less power than NVME or SSDs. I've got 2TB WD Reds that take up about 3-4W running, then there's the 970 Evo+ at 6W+ during load. Idle of course is way down on SSD/NVME but still you need to be able to carry at least 10W for those bursts or load cycles. I'm kinda scared how much those NVME drives and connections have to endure these days, that's a horribly hostile area compared to the chassis size of 2.5/3.5 where the case itself helped with cooling and you could mount it away from other heat sources... Like a GPU or CPU
Old Aug 3, 2019, 07:26 PM   #5
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboye View Post
Spinning rust can in some cases use less power than NVME or SSDs. I've got 2TB WD Reds that take up about 3-4W running, then there's the 970 Evo+ at 6W+ during load. Idle of course is way down on SSD/NVME but still you need to be able to carry at least 10W for those bursts or load cycles. I'm kinda scared how much those NVME drives and connections have to endure these days, that's a horribly hostile area compared to the chassis size of 2.5/3.5 where the case itself helped with cooling and you could mount it away from other heat sources... Like a GPU or CPU
Does Nvme really use more power than HDD? It has higher peak power usage but the load is shorter than an HDD. Doesn't NVMe drive also transition in and out low power modes like a CPU?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote