Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default wireless keyboard/mouse

Can anyone recommend a good one with actual range?
I purchased an old MS wireless keyboard/mouse combo a long time ago and right from the get go its wireless range sucked ass. (it was like 2 feet max). Its rated at like 30feet or something so this was incredibly disappointing.

The dongle had to be placed fairly close to the keyboard/mouse effectively eliminating the purpose of having a wireless system.

I don't need a super expensive one as its purpose is merely just being able to use mouse/keyboard when the laptop is not near me (probably about 8 feet or so away) for doing light computer stuff (streaming of non-youtube content mainly). And theres a few cheapo ones ive seen but I don't know if I trust those to have good range.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:05 PM   #2
Fleksta
Radeon R600

Fleksta is still being judged by the masses

I have a Logitech MK520 set and one of the K400 Plus keyboards with trackpad. Both work great and from the far side of the living room.

The K400 is great for just bumming around on the internet, but not when you might want finer mouse control. If you get one, make sure it's the newer yellow "plus" version, the older one I had would constantly drop signal if you didn't hold it just right.
Fleksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:40 PM   #3
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think even cheap wireless mice/keyboards generally have good range, but it's really sensitive to where your dongle is located. If you put it in the back of the machine, where the case and probably all of the EM generated by the computer is blocking it, then you're going to get much worse range than if you put it on the front with direct line of sight.

If you want something inexpensive, just pick up an MK270 at Best Buy. If you don't like it, just return it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitec...?skuId=1440638

Or you can splurge on an MK320:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitec...?skuId=1294039
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 1, 2019, 01:30 AM   #4
Notbilly
Radeon R420

Notbilly is still being judged by the masses

Just my 2 cents, but I'd steer clear of the MK270. I've had repeated bad experiences with those (with different units), where the dongle stopped making a reliable connection within a few weeks of purchase.

If you go Logitech, I'd recommend a set that uses one of their unifying receivers -- they seem to perform better, and no issues with range. I've been using a MK540 set for about a year without problems (cost a little more, but currently $20 off at Best Buy, I see)

I also have a backlit K800 that I really like, but that's yet a bit more.
Notbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think even cheap wireless mice/keyboards generally have good range, but it's really sensitive to where your dongle is located. If you put it in the back of the machine, where the case and probably all of the EM generated by the computer is blocking it, then you're going to get much worse range than if you put it on the front with direct line of sight.

If you want something inexpensive, just pick up an MK270 at Best Buy. If you don't like it, just return it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitec...?skuId=1440638

Or you can splurge on an MK320:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitec...?skuId=1294039
Oh im fully aware of the dongle situation, and read about it but it doesn't do anything for me.

Thing is my old MS wireless keyboard/mouse has a fairly big fat receiver that is USB powered via a 1 foot or so cable. So its wireless but its not one of those USB stick receivers. I basically get like a free foot of wired length before I can use the wireless. So In order to make the wireless "range" work, I have the laptop placed about 1 or 2 feet away from the TV, then the wireless dongle is stretched out to its max of like 1 foot, then I can get like 2 feet of wireless range with the keyboard and mouse on the coffee table...…
Its at an adequate usage range now(id like it further though so I can actually just sit on the couch) but at this length I might as well have a hardwired keyboard/mouse...…

I have read a little of the cheapo keyboards and they do seem to have sporatic connection issues at a further distance....but im afraid that distance still isn't far enough for me.

Other option is to go Bluetooth (I have a Bluetooth mouse which I used before and I havent encountered its max range yet, but its being used as a wired mouse on my main computer), but then I get no keyboard function...
And Bluetooth keyboards aren't that cheap, at least I haven't encountered any
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote