Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:53 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default The slow build

Wherein i slowly buy parts as I see them on sale due to lack of funds

What i have so far

Define R6 tempered glass edition
TOMOKO Mechanical Keyboard
Steel series Rival 310 mouse
Steel series mouse XL pad
Tripplite 4 plug ISObar

Reusing my monitor, RX 580, samsung ssd, wd hdd, blu ray and possibly the evga psu. Depends if a really good deal comes along on a better psu before i finish.

going to hold off on a newer ssd/m.2 and more storage or ram until later in the summer as predictions are prices will keep dropping.

I'll probably go with the ryzen 3xxx series but I'll wait to see the price/performance after those release.

I have to say the quality of the fractal define R6 is super good

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 09:13 PM   #2
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

What's your budget for storage? how much storage capacity do you want?

Refurbished: SAMSUNG MZ-7KE512 - 2.5" 512GB SATA for $99

That looks like a good deal.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 01:57 AM   #3
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post

There are some decent deals to be had for sure on memory and ssd's. It's just everything I have heard is that prices should keep dropping into the rest of the year.

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:57 AM   #4
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Though an HP EX920 1TB can be had for just under $150. Not quite as fast as a 970 pro, but it has equivalent write endurance and twice the capacity at around the same price as the 512 GB 970 pro. Certainly faster than that refurbished SATA 850 Pro.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/88b...ive-2yy47aaabc

If top speed isn't a priority and you aren't doing a lot of heavy writes (like editing a lot of 4k video or constantly recording directly from FRAPS to the drive), a 1TB Intel 660p is only about $100.

If you really want to stick with SATA over NVME, the Crucial MX500 is an affordable option, though good NVME drives are only slightly more expensive.

I agree that SSD prices are probably just going to go down though, so probably no reason to rush.

BTW, just the idea of buying a refurbished SSD makes me almost vomit a little.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 20, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 06:45 PM   #5
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

What's wrong with refurbished SSD? If it wasn't MLC I would've never considered it an option.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:19 PM   #6
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
What's wrong with refurbished SSD? If it wasn't MLC I would've never considered it an option.
1) there are better options at that price (as seen in my previous post)
2) you don't know anything about the history of the storage chips in the refurbished drive, and therefore how much life they have left. While a typical user is unlikely to wear out a drive, there are some heavy use cases that potentially could and you don't know what that drive might have been subjected to.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 02:28 PM   #7
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Honestly, I wouldn't really pay much of a premium for NVME over SATA. I got a 960 EVO and the difference is simply not really noticeable over my previous 850 EVO SATA SSD. Windows loads a little faster. In games it often makes no difference (or it's so fast it's irrelevant). If you can get an NVME for only a small premium, then it may be worth it, but if you can find a SATA for a much better price then I'd go with that instead.

Personally, I'd suggest going capacity over speed if it is a consideration. You can get 1 TB SSDs now for a decent price, and even 2 TBs are starting to become affordable. If you can get a big enough SSD there's no need for supplemental hard drive storage at all. FWIW, I have to agree that the price of that refurbished drive doesn't look that enticing to me, over other new options.

Regarding your PSU, why do you want to get a new one at all? The EVGA SuperNovas are good PSUs, and if it is the same age as the rest of your build then it should have quite a few years of life left. Unless you want to keep a secondary machine running, I'd just save some money by reusing your PSU.

Last edited by Nagorak : Apr 22, 2019 at 03:25 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2019, 01:19 AM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't really pay much of a premium for m2 over SATA. I got a 960 EVO and the difference is simply not really noticeable over my previous 850 EVO SATA SSD. Windows loads a little faster. In games it often makes no difference (or it's so fast it's irrelevant). If you can get an m2 for only a small premium, then it may be worth it, but if you can find a SATA for a much better price then I'd go with that instead.

Personally, I'd suggest going capacity over speed if it is a consideration. You can get 1 TB SSDs now for a decent price, and even 2 TBs are starting to become affordable. If you can get a big enough SSD there's no need for supplemental hard drive storage at all. FWIW, I have to agree that the price of that refurbished drive doesn't look that enticing to me, over other new options.

Regarding your PSU, why do you want to get a new one at all? The EVGA SuperNovas are good PSUs, and if it is the same age as the rest of your build then it should have quite a few years of life left. Unless you want to keep a secondary machine running, I'd just save some money by reusing your PSU.
Fortunately, there is hardly a premium for NVME these days.

I agree with capacity over speed; though some of the slightly pricier drives also have much higher write endurance (which may or may not matter for your use case).

If you go on PC Partspicker sort by price per/GB, the NVME intel 1TB 660p is just a $10 premium over the cheapest SATA drives. The 2 TB version is as low cost/GB as you can find.

The advantage of the $144 HP EX920 is a much high write endurance over the 660P (140 TB for the 1TB 660P vs 650 TB for the HP EX920) and it is a little faster. Note: Going to the 2TB 660 increases write endurance to 280 TB.

BTW, some people have had some trouble finding the correct support contact for HP SSD. Basically, they went with localized 3rd party distribution and support. In the US support is provided by Multipointe Channel Solutions 1-844-517-8295. The customer support guy seemed very knowledgeable and helpful. Apparently, their number should have been in the warranty booklet, even though it isn't.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 22, 2019 at 06:00 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 08:45 PM   #9
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't really pay much of a premium for NVME over SATA. I got a 960 EVO and the difference is simply not really noticeable over my previous 850 EVO SATA SSD. Windows loads a little faster. In games it often makes no difference (or it's so fast it's irrelevant). If you can get an NVME for only a small premium, then it may be worth it, but if you can find a SATA for a much better price then I'd go with that instead.

The psu is about 5+ years old, of constant use. I know they last much longer then that but I'd prefer to not have it on the back of my mind at all.

I also want to populate the 140mm fan mount right beside the psu and having a smaller body length psu would be a plus, make things easier cable wise in that area.

Old May 1, 2019, 07:27 PM   #10
deadite_9
random and/or senseless

deadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydeadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
I also want to populate the 140mm fan mount right beside the psu and having a smaller body length psu would be a plus, make things easier cable wise in that area.
Can confirm. I've got an EVGA 1000 P2 in my Define R6, along with a 140mm intake on the bottom and she's a tight fit... cables protrude out from the front of the PSU and over the edge of the fan.

An 850 G2 is a little shorter than the biggest P2 models, but it's still longer than your average PSU. The 850 P2 is standard size, though. Planning to downsize mine as well, if I can snag one of those for a decent price.

:: HDTV
Samsung Q8FN (4K QLED, 65") :: A/V Onkyo TX-RZ830 ::
:: UHD
Sony UBP-X700 :: BD Oppo BDP-83 :: CD Onkyo DX-C390 ::
:: PHONO
Technics SL-1200MK2 :: GAME Xbox One X + PS4 Pro ::
:: FRONT
JBL SCS300SAT + FS1000 :: SW HSU Research STF-2 ::
:: CENTER
JBL EC35 (Black Ash) :: LFE HSU Research VTF-2 MK5 ::
:: SURROUND L/R
JBL SCS300SAT :: SW HSU Research STF-2 ::
:: SURR BACK L/R
JBL SCS300SAT :: SW HSU Research STF-1 ::

:: CPU
Core i7 7820X (4.5GHz) :: MB ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming ::
:: BIOS
1704 :: AIO Corsair H115i PRO + (2x) Noctua NF-A14 chromax ::
:: DDR4
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3000MHz (15-17-17-35) ::
:: GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Founders Edition :: LCD Acer Predator XB241H ::
:: AUDIO
ROG SupremeFX (S1220A) :: SPEAKERS Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ::
:: OS
Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903) :: NVME Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (512GB) ::
:: SSD
(1x) Samsung 850 PRO (512GB) + (3x) 850 EVO (1TB/1TB/1TB) ::
:: INPUT
Logitech G413 Silver + G MX518 + Xbox One Controller (wireless) ::
:: PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 + CableMod Pro series (black/white) ::
:: CASE
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (silver, DEMCiflex intake filters) ::
:: FANS
(2x) Noctua NF-P14s redux + (1x) NF-P14r redux ::
deadite_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 12:01 PM   #11
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Well I ordered a Corsair AX850 titanium psu. At first I thought it was 150mm in depth but after It had already shipped I realized it was 170mm when I looked at the seasonic unit. Corsair doesn't list what it's dimension listings are in terms of W/L/H like most other manufacturers or in the exact same order as them, and just has the numbers listed thus my confusion.

Examples listed on each product page

EVGA 850 G2
85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 180mm (L)

Seasonic Prime ultra titanium
170 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H)

Corsair AX850
170mm x 86mm x 150mm

So a 10mm space savings over the EVGA psu, I guess that will have to do, it seems to fit with the fan but more space would have been really nice.

The AX is a bit overkill to be honest but there are three things you never cheap out on in my experience over the years.

Monitor, PSU and whatever you sit on.

And this seems to be one of the better units you can get, seasonic titanium ultra prime internals, a nicer looking external body over the seasonic unit IMO (and a much better price), and some nice thought out touches like the magnetic name plates so you can change the colour.

Not that the last feature will get any use in the R6 due to the psu basement, or in many other cases these days to be frank. But who knows what the future holds for case design. A 10 year warranty doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by Shapeshifter : May 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 02:54 PM   #12
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

rumors floating about that memory (nand) prices will start to rise... so I bought all the storage I should need for quite some time, still got a great deal on them.

$149 and no tax or shipping cost from amazon (no idea how that worked)
Adata xpg sx8200 nvme 960gb (basically exactly what the hp ex920 is hardware wise)

$206 after tax due to amazon prime day discounting it twice.
Crucial MX500 2tb sata

So all that's left is a motherboard, cpu and some ram. Wondering If I should wait for the bios to mature more on the x570, or just wait for the B550 at the end of the year.

Old Jul 22, 2019, 01:08 PM   #13
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
Wherein i slowly buy parts as I see them on sale due to lack of funds

What i have so far

Define R6 tempered glass edition
TOMOKO Mechanical Keyboard
Steel series Rival 310 mouse
Steel series mouse XL pad
Tripplite 4 plug ISObar

Reusing my monitor, RX 580, samsung ssd, wd hdd, blu ray and possibly the evga psu. Depends if a really good deal comes along on a better psu before i finish.

going to hold off on a newer ssd/m.2 and more storage or ram until later in the summer as predictions are prices will keep dropping.

I'll probably go with the ryzen 3xxx series but I'll wait to see the price/performance after those release.

I have to say the quality of the fractal define R6 is super good
Dont waste money on a new PSU the one you have is a very good unit, and a 10 year warranty. It's made by Superflower which makes the best PSUs out there. It'll be fine.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote