Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 21, 2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

Default 80mm fans that are quiet?

I have a set of cheap masscool 80mm fans for rear exhaust that are noisy compared to the 3 insignia 120mm intake fans (although those are system controlled, I put one at max and it was still much quieter than the 2 80mm fans).

Any recommendations on quiet 80mm fans? Thanks!
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

or you can choose to look no further

https://noctua.at/
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 21, 2019, 01:18 PM   #4
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I was going to toss my hat in for the Gentle Typhoons but I don't know that they make a 80mm fan.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 01:20 PM   #5
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Just FYI, QuietPC sells Noctua fans....
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:01 PM   #6
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

Thanks for the suggestions but these are a bit more than what I was looking to spend.

I decided to try out the Insignia 80mm fans to match the 120mm fans that I am happy with and am very pleased with the reduction in noise! They were $7 each and while they still make some noise, it is much more tolerable (I only hear them if I am next to the computer, unlike the fans that just came out which sounded like jets compared to these, lol).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

80mm fans .. wow. How old is the case you're using lol
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:22 PM   #8
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
LOL...I'm using a Silverstone GD09b which has up to 4 of the 120mm intake fan inlets (one of them is used by the power supply), and 2 of the 80mm rear exhaust outlets.

I don't know why the noise never bothered me before, or maybe I didn't feel like doing anything about it but lately it bothered me that an HTPC sounded more like a server than an HTPC..LOL (even though I mostly game on this HTPC).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 07:07 PM   #9
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 08:51 PM   #10
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

no 80mm fans are quiet till after you hit them with a hammer a few times
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 09:10 PM   #11
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Only quiet 80 mm fans would be Noctua.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2019, 03:49 PM   #12
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Actually a lot of decent 80mm fans can be quiet, you just need to turn them down and not run them at max speed. The problem with 80mm fans is they have a small diameter, so many of them are designed to run at high RPM so they can still move a good amount of air. If you turn them down using either an adapter or your motherboard's fan control, then it won't be a problem.

Noctua fans are very overrated. They aren't bad by any means, but they are not the only quiet or good quality fans.

The other thing is fixed RPM fans is very 1995. It's 2019. Use the fan control that comes with your motherboard, or better yet get a fan control software like Argus Monitor. All but the shittiest fans will be quiet at low RPM and they all will be silent at 0 RPM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2019, 04:00 PM   #13
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Chassis fans should be a set low speed imo. Mine are all PWM ML140s and I have them set to 950rpm. Nice and quiet, plenty of air
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2019, 06:08 PM   #14
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

My old 80mm fans spun at 2700 rpm, the new ones are about 2000 rpm and much quieter even at the fixed speed.

My three 120mm intake fans are controlled by the motherboard, usually at 650 rpm, and my CPU fan speed varies based on CPU temperature (the hotter it gets, the faster the fan spins). I don't have anymore fan ports on the motherboard so that's why the 80mm fans are "fixed" rpm.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 05:09 PM   #15
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

YateLoon fan for 80mm. Done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote