Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Oct 24, 2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default EVGA 1070/1080 FTW Overheating issues. HIDE YO KIDS!

Well seems like these video cards are dying

Quote:
However reports from end users and some testing at Toms Hardware indicate overheating. Some users even reported the card dying completely. From the looks of it the issue has been uncovered due to the absence of any thermal pads over the VRM area of the FTW family of graphics cards. Some reports show temperatures running 107 şC on components on the PCB.
LULz... No thermal pads on the VRM????

More on Guru3D.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evg...ng-issues.html

Fail EVGA, just FAIL....
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2016, 01:37 PM   #3
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Good thing I don't have a FTW edition then.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 24, 2016, 05:10 PM   #4
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Perhaps I should take apart my Seahawk, just to check..
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2016, 05:17 PM   #5
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ummm I have a FTW edition.... I don't even really know where the VRM's are on a card.

Should I take apart my card and check?

Card has run flawlessly with no issues with temps at all.

Edit: Apparently they have a 3 year warranty on their parts. I am not to worried about it. If someone on youtube makes a video of putting the thermal pads on a GTX 1080/1070 I will check that out. In the mean time I will contact EVGA and tell them to ship me the pads.

Last edited by dmanna : Oct 24, 2016 at 06:40 PM.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2016, 06:12 PM   #6
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

They don't even have sensors you can read for the vrm's like the 290 did.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 06:22 AM   #8
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Didn't buy EVGA this time. Had too many issues reported on their forums. Not worth my time tbh.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 08:32 AM   #9
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Shame, becuase EVGA is usually my choice. For their customer service alone.

Never will deal with Asus, or Gigabyte again. MSI, or EVGA only, at least if they do fail you know this issue will be corrected. And you'll likely receive some form of goody for the issue as well.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:17 AM   #10
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I dont know why anyone would buy the FTW edition over the regukar edition. The price premium for like a 30mhz bump is definitely not worth it. Just get the regular card and overclock as needed. There has never been a case that I can remember where a regular card couldnt hit FTW speeds.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:36 AM   #11
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I dont know why anyone would buy the FTW edition over the regukar edition. The price premium for like a 30mhz bump is definitely not worth it. Just get the regular card and overclock as needed. There has never been a case that I can remember where a regular card couldnt hit FTW speeds.
3 letters... RGB lighting

Here is the build I gave to my nephew

Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:23 PM   #12
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:

I thought the FTW cars are dual BIOS and the regular ones are not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:49 PM   #13
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
I thought the FTW cars are dual BIOS and the regular ones are not?
That too.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 04:57 PM   #14
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

dual BIOS should be on all cards by now .
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 07:15 PM   #15
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My FTW edition GTX 1080 just black screened in BF1... I want to RMA for another one. Paying 700 dollars for a high end GPU that doesn't offer the proper heat dissipation ...lol especially when the fan is running at like 10-20% and the card is starting to melt because of the VRM issue or what ever it is.

I just started the process, I want a new card not thermal pads.

They are sending me a new card right away, I have 14 days to ship my old GTX1080 back or they will bill me for it. complimentary Advanced RMA with no need for a collateral deposit.

Last edited by dmanna : Oct 26, 2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:51 PM   #16
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

EVGA will set you right. Only issue is that they don't have support in my country so I only buy EVGA when there are no known issues. Went ASUS this time and can't be happier.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2016, 06:28 PM   #17
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
I think Newegg knew about the black screen issue and they were selling the FTW editions cheaper than just about every other version. I paid 680 bucks and at the time I purchased it, I believe it was the cheapest card available.

I figured good price and higher performance why not go with this card. I have had good luck with GPU's over the years.

Also the boost clock goes all the way up to 2025 MHz which was much higher than what they even advertised. I am not a big fan of over clocking GPU's.. probably because I have mostly used AMD cards.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 06:35 PM   #18
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

What a pile of **** this 480 dollar 1070 has turned out to be. I should have just bought the MSI or Gigabyte version. Would have saved money and had less ****ing problems. If I could return the card I would do it in a heartbeat. Even the ****ing sticker on the top that says EVGA Geforce 1070 FTW and lights up is falling out/off. What a joke my experience with EVGA has been will never buy another one of their products again and absolutely cannot recommend anyone else do so. Everything that has to do with them feels extremely cheaply made and hacked together. My 290 from MSI weighs more than this thing does and this 1070 is bigger.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 08:07 PM   #19
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
What a pile of **** this 480 dollar 1070 has turned out to be. I should have just bought the MSI or Gigabyte version. Would have saved money and had less ****ing problems. If I could return the card I would do it in a heartbeat. Even the ****ing sticker on the top that says EVGA Geforce 1070 FTW and lights up is falling out/off. What a joke my experience with EVGA has been will never buy another one of their products again and absolutely cannot recommend anyone else do so. Everything that has to do with them feels extremely cheaply made and hacked together. My 290 from MSI weighs more than this thing does and this 1070 is bigger.
Why can't you RMA the 1070? 3 year manufacturer warranty.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 08:49 PM   #20
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanna View Post
RMA it for what? To get an even shittier FTW 1070? With micron memory? EVGA is easily the worst company to buy a 1070 from right now. I don't want another one of these I want a card with you know actual cooling on the vrm's? What a joke. This cards got a big custom PCB and it whines like a whore, it's got visual flaws, and the Subvendor Id's don't read right on AMD chipsets. Making using their precision oc software impossible. If I get a new one it will be later down the road after I beat on this one enough.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 07:03 AM   #21
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
He's replaced the bios so I would presume that voids his warranty.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2016, 07:05 AM   #22
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
My FTW edition GTX 1080 just black screened in BF1... I want to RMA for another one. Paying 700 dollars for a high end GPU that doesn't offer the proper heat dissipation ...lol especially when the fan is running at like 10-20% and the card is starting to melt because of the VRM issue or what ever it is.

I just started the process, I want a new card not thermal pads.

They are sending me a new card right away, I have 14 days to ship my old GTX1080 back or they will bill me for it. complimentary Advanced RMA with no need for a collateral deposit.
Are they guaranteeing that the new card will have the VRM's cooled? If not you're back to square one.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:32 AM   #24
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

LOL... 8400/8500 fiasco all over again. At least NVIDIOTs got to pay a $100 founder's edition tax this time.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:42 AM   #25
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
LOL... 8400/8500 fiasco all over again. At least NVIDIOTs got to pay a $100 founder's edition tax this time.
This issue only effects EVGA FTW series, which has the ACX cooler, not the reference. It has nothing to do with founders edition, even if the pricing for the reference cooler made no sense. Just like your post.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2016, 02:27 PM   #26
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Are they guaranteeing that the new card will have the VRM's cooled? If not you're back to square one.
According to EVGA they fixed the problems with there cards. If you bought a FTW card after August 31st you should be in the clear.

Since they know the reason why I am RMA'ing the card I would assume they would send me a card that has the proper cooling solution.

If they send me a card and it starts to black screen I will lose my ****.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 05:44 PM   #27
greasyhands
Vega 64

greasyhands is still being judged by the masses

I returned my 1070 FTW back to Microcenter, running a 980ti now, can't tell the difference.
greasyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2016, 06:05 PM   #28
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyhands View Post
I returned my 1070 FTW back to Microcenter, running a 980ti now, can't tell the difference.
That's because it's the same card 1070 uses less power. That's the difference. And 2gb more memory
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2016, 03:32 AM   #29
greasyhands
Vega 64

greasyhands is still being judged by the masses

And it was only $225. (craigslist)

Last edited by greasyhands : Oct 29, 2016 at 04:14 AM.
greasyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2016, 02:34 PM   #30
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
He's replaced the bios so I would presume that voids his warranty.
My warranty is just fine they told me I could.