Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 7, 2019, 04:05 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I don’t know what kind of benchmarks you’re using but the 2700X @ 3.8 is no where near 3% of your 7700K @ 4.8 in the large majority of games.
Remember I game at 1440p so I'm essentially GPU bound so it doesn't make a great deal of difference TBH. In gaming can I tell 110 fps to 107 fps don't think so but in synthetic benchmarks it shows up. I play games not benchmarks and I can honestly not tell any difference since I upgraded except I have 4 more cores and 16 more threads Oh and it runs way quieter and cooler so what's not to like.

Happy chappy indeed as I now have an upgrade path if I wan't to so no longer on a dead platform. Also, as it stands, no more Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities thank you YEAH
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 04:26 PM   #212
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I don’t know what kind of benchmarks you’re using but the 2700X @ 3.8 is no where near 3% of your 7700K @ 4.8 in the large majority of games.
Here's one site and remember results vary dependent on hardware. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...7_2700/14.html

Overclocking the 7770K from boost at 4.5 to all core at 4.8 meant no performance enhancement. When I clocked it to 5ghz all cores same result. I've owned both CPU's so I think I can be a bit more objective in my reasoning as a few fps here or there in any game when you're GPU bound does not make any difference.

Just my 2c's worth.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 10:05 PM   #213
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It just depends on the games you play and frame rate targets. I'm CPU limited in quiet a few games at 1440p.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2019, 11:40 PM   #214
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, I'm CPU limited on more and more games as well now a days. That's kind of what I get running a 7 year old CPU. I'm starting to see stuttering in VR on newer games that I know is because of the CPU. Also looking at what others are hitting FPS wise on new games shows the age of my setup. It's not a whole lot but it is there.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019, 09:28 AM   #215
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/statu...66183740321798

Quote:
Zen2 ES 16 Core Base clock 3.3 Ghzฺ Boost clock 4.2 Ghz

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019, 12:47 PM   #216
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post

somehow I don't think it is going to be slower than a 2700x
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019, 12:54 PM   #217
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
1800x ES also had a low clock. They boosted it by 800 mhz at release. Not saying thats how much a change this ES will have as all the leaks so far show the 16 core having a 4.7 boost.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019, 05:51 PM   #218
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So long as the 3850x is 4.3GHz to 5.1GHz I don't care.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019, 06:02 PM   #219
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Even if it is just 5Ghz, I'll be all over it.

Zen is really not that far behind Intel right now, the clock speed advantage has really only been their saving grace; couple that with for years Intel was the only real game in town and thus everything was made with them in mind because everything was made on them...

Will be interesting to see what is found out through the lead up to CES as well as what is released.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 11:54 AM   #220
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ram up to 5000mhz listed for the ryzen 3xxx apparently. and a 1/2 clock divider option for memory as well so the cpu infinity fabric would run at half the memory speed.

going to need a lot of testing done to figure out where the new sweet spot for memory will be with that.

I wonder if that will be an option locked to the x570 boards, or considering it's baked into the IMC on the cpu, if bios updates on older boards could allow it.

Old May 12, 2019, 06:17 PM   #221
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Ram up to 5000mhz listed for the ryzen 3xxx apparently. and a 1/2 clock divider option for memory as well so the cpu infinity fabric would run at half the memory speed.

going to need a lot of testing done to figure out where the new sweet spot for memory will be with that.

I wonder if that will be an option locked to the x570 boards, or considering it's baked into the IMC on the cpu, if bios updates on older boards could allow it.
and what does ddr4 5000mhz ram cost ?

16gb 4800mhz 800 bucks
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236516

think i'll stick with my 3200mhz ram for now
Old May 12, 2019, 06:34 PM   #222
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
It would make sense if the lower core count would have noticeably higher clock speeds.

I wonder why that hasn't been the case?
Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 07:29 PM   #223
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
and what does ddr4 5000mhz ram cost ?

16gb 4800mhz 800 bucks
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236516

think i'll stick with my 3200mhz ram for now
what gains do you get over your 3200mhz? Is there more than 1fps advantage in that 4800mhz?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 07:39 PM   #224
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
what gains do you get over your 3200mhz? Is there more than 1fps advantage in that 4800mhz?
don't know

will wait for 4k reviews

but I would need to see a lot more than "1fps advantage " to upgrade the ram

…………

Quote:
AMD's new Ryzen 9 3850X: 16C/32T chip kills Threadripper

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65888...per/index.html
Old May 12, 2019, 08:06 PM   #225
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Nah TR will still have a place. Prosumer is a pretty decently sized market.

And with leaks talking up Zen 3 having 5 threads pre cpu (cpu plus 4 SMT) it will need that 4 lane memory to feed it. Mind you the rumor that the IO die will have HBM on die might placate that a bit.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 12, 2019, 09:45 PM   #226
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Ryzen loves ram almost as much as chrome does. Tons of reviews, youtube videos showing what higher speeds and equally important CL timings do to performance.

I don't think many (any?) really get Ryzen running over 4000 mhz often, you'd need killer ram as well as a golden cpu for that.

But if the Ryzen 3xxx I/O and IMC rumours are true that may be much easier to do.

3200 CL 14 is the suggested sweet spot by most sites, but there are samsung B-die ram kits that are 3600 CL15 as an example, and most B-die sets can oc very well. Ryzen ram calculator program apparently helps you get the most out of them, people get down to CL 12 and other low timings at 3200 and above and it makes a difference.

Last edited by Shapeshifter : May 12, 2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:34 AM   #227
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Nah TR will still have a place. Prosumer is a pretty decently sized market.

And with leaks talking up Zen 3 having 5 threads pre cpu (cpu plus 4 SMT) it will need that 4 lane memory to feed it. Mind you the rumor that the IO die will have HBM on die might placate that a bit.
I got my TR & zenith extreme for all the pcie lanes for CFX or SLI and they promptly killed them

and now they drop TR from the 2019 roadmap, maybe it will be 2020
Old May 13, 2019, 03:51 AM   #228
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Personally, I think the people running 3200 C12 or 3600 MHz C15 on Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series are probably not fully stable. I've been around too long hearing these tales of "amazing overclocks", and I never manage to come anywhere near them. If you do a half-assed job testing stability it's much easier to pull out impressive numbers.

Based on my experience with at least four different Ryzen processors, 3200, 3333, maybe 3466 are realistic memory frequencies to hit. Outside of that you're probably either looking at a golden sample, or stability was tested using an ineffective program, or not long enough.

All the same 3600 C15 is still the sweet spot for buying performance memory. Not because it will work at that frequency now, but more for the potential for the future. For the time being, hitting 3200 or 3333 C14 should unlock the vast majority of Ryzen's potential.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 05:01 AM   #229
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Personally, I think the people running 3200 C12 or 3600 MHz C15 on Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series are probably not fully stable. I've been around too long hearing these tales of "amazing overclocks", and I never manage to come anywhere near them. If you do a half-assed job testing stability it's much easier to pull out impressive numbers.

Based on my experience with at least four different Ryzen processors, 3200, 3333, maybe 3466 are realistic memory frequencies to hit. Outside of that you're probably either looking at a golden sample, or stability was tested using an ineffective program, or not long enough.

All the same 3600 C15 is still the sweet spot for buying performance memory. Not because it will work at that frequency now, but more for the potential for the future. For the time being, hitting 3200 or 3333 C14 should unlock the vast majority of Ryzen's potential.

I have 3000Mhz B-Die from GSkill and my 1900X has severe issues holding this DRAM at 2933. So I can agree with you to an extent there. But, my 1900X is also an early production model. It'll do 3200Mhz but only if I crank the SoC voltage to 1.2V.. so I am of the mind the IMC's on Threadrippers are hit and miss as I don't believe they test those when binning them.
Old May 13, 2019, 08:39 AM   #230
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

https://videocardz.com/newz/biostar-...t8-motherboard

Quote:
Have you been waiting for X570 release at Computex? It seems BIOSTAR had enough waiting and they put an unreleased product in their product catalog. The X570-based RACING GT8 is a 12-phase VRM flagship AM4 motherboard. It supports DDR4 memory up to 4000 MHz.

The specs sheet confirms that X570 chipset supports PCI Express Gen 4, although this information is only mentioned for the M.2 interface.

The X570 RACING GT8 features three PCIe x16 slots and three PCIe x1 slots. There is only one Gigabit Ethernet port and it appears that the motherboard ships with a DVI display connector (for Vega-based processors).

The X570 motherboards are expected to be officially introduced at Computex.

So I guess most x570 mobos will have a chipset fan it sounds like. related to using all the nvme slots? guess pcie 4.0 is really working it.

Last edited by Shapeshifter : May 13, 2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:54 AM   #231
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
https://videocardz.com/newz/biostar-...t8-motherboard

So I guess most x570 mobos will have a chipset fan it sounds like. related to using all the nvme slots? guess pcie 4.0 is really working it.

hopefully Asus or someone will put the chipset somewhere else on the board that you can water cool it
and not under the video card

but I have all ssd's and no nvme ones so if the fan only runs when needed it may not be that bad
but the chipset fan on my Rampage IV Extreme was annoying as hell
Old May 14, 2019, 02:48 AM   #232
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Ya Id read that pcie 4 would maybe run at best 6 inches from the cpu on high end x370/470 so the first slot and maybe one nvme at best if the vendors enable it. Hope we get that as an option but wonder what that does to the chipset power increase.

But to have pcie4 on all pcie slots and nvme's ect would probably need stupid amounts of power as buildzoid says.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 14, 2019, 09:06 PM   #233
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD 12 Core Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Series CPU ES Benchmark Leaked – Faster Per Clock vs Threadripper 1920X

https://wccftech.com/amd-12-core-zen...dripper-1920x/

Old May 15, 2019, 01:32 PM   #234
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Colorful CVN X570 Gaming Pro

https://hothardware.com/news/colorfu...-2-motherboard

fan in same place
Old May 15, 2019, 03:53 PM   #235
barleystout
Radeon R700

barleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete stranger

Seeing the chipset HSF and heat concerns, I’m kinda curious how two graphics cards will fair with an NVMe drive sitting between them. Probably nothing to worry about.

Still can’t wait to do this build. Have almost everything ready (case, PSU, drives, etc.).
barleystout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 05:34 PM   #236
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Colorful CVN X570 Gaming Pro

https://hothardware.com/news/colorfu...-2-motherboard

fan in same place
I wouldn't expect the chipset to move, that seems to be the place they put it on just about every board.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 07:49 PM   #237
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I wouldn't expect the chipset to move, that seems to be the place they put it on just about every board.
well some like the crosshair viii formula maybe a bigger EATX MB with a little more room

at least get it out from under slot 1 or have a water cool block with it that will clear the biggest video card

Last edited by bill dennison : May 15, 2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:46 PM   #238
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yay buzzing failure prone small diameter chipset fans!
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 11:59 PM   #239
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Yay buzzing failure prone small diameter chipset fans!
better than having a plague chip

but yea I hated the one on my rampage iv extreme

but this one may not be needed if not using any m.2's
Old May 16, 2019, 03:38 PM   #240
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

B550 mobos starting to show up in things?

https://ranker.sisoftware.co.uk/show...487ba82&l=e n