Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:55 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I'm going in balls deep in to a 16c/32t depending on how many cores clock to 5GHz.
Same here. I hope they get their new chipset out and it's not buggy as hell, before they release these though.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:56 PM   #122
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
My 2500k+ has been waiting for this ryzen 3700x upgrade for many many years. I just don't believe the prices/specs. It seems like more of a fantasy spec sheet.

Time will tell. Don't wait too long AMD. Sell some CPUs, make some cash because intel will be throwing $$$$$$ at the problem to get their CPUs out.
who cares

at this point Intel is like a brothel in the world's highest STD epidemic zones

it maybe fun for a bit but your going the catch something

bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2019, 01:00 PM   #123
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Upcoming Asus X570 Motherboards for Ryzen 3000-series Leak
Quote:
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT
ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING
PRIME X570-P
PRIME X570-PRO
Pro WS X570-ACE
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

Quote:
While model names might not give us much insight into what Asus is planning, it is important to note that this list includes one of Asus's highest end motherboards, the Formula, which it has only used for Intel-based boards. Asus bringing it to the Ryzen family implies that AMD's next CPUs are now worthy of the brand, perhaps because Asus believes the processors are truly equal to Intel's 9th generation.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...sus,38900.html
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 24, 2019, 05:13 PM   #124
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Could be an early indication that it wont disappoint!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:34 AM   #125
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, I can see a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, a 3850x, and some Ram in my future.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:46 AM   #126
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Yeah, I can see a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, a 3850x, and some Ram in my future.
a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula and 3700x reuse my ram

don't think I need more than 8c/16t but do want the 5.0GHz

Quote:
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula teased, first with PCIe 4.0
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65325...e-4/index.html
Old Mar 25, 2019, 07:37 PM   #127
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

and here I am waiting for 7nm Threadrippers. :-P

Which I am sure will be pretty awesome if the EPYC CPUs are indicative of whats to come. :-)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 08:13 PM   #128
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Bill, what ram timings and speed do you run with your rig?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 08:49 PM   #129
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Bill, what ram timings and speed do you run with your rig?
1800x
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820232205

1900x
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820232488

running at 3200

Timing I let it set it is slower than 14-14-14-34

Last edited by bill dennison : Mar 25, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 04:06 PM   #130
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Anything higher than 3200 make any difference with AMD or is it mostly CAS timing?

NM found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ed_vs_timings/

Quote:
Cas gives you latency in clocks.

The DDR4 frequencies are marketing numbers. You half them to get the real frequencies.

DDR4 3200 = 1600 MHz = 0.625 ns per clock
0.625 * cas16 = 10.0 ns

DDR4 3000 = 1500 MHz = 0.66(6) ns per clock
0.66(6) * cas15 = 10.0 ns
So you see they have the exact same latency.

The 3200 would give you 6.6(6)% more bandwidth.

Also because of Ryzens unique way of having the infinity fabric locked to the memory frequency. You also would increase the IF bandwidth and lower the IF latency!
Got a good jumping off point.

Last edited by andino : Mar 26, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 03:55 AM   #131
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

CAS timing afaik. Your best bet is to get a nice 3200 set, raise voltage a little and drop CAS a notch or two. Aim for 3200 CL14 as a starting point.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:42 AM   #132
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Some good sale trends for amd in enthusiast diy market:

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2019, 07:09 PM   #133
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

ION dick move by MSI:

https://www.techpowerup.com/254634/m...for-300-series

Quote:
This is an excuse similar to the one Intel gave for the planned obsolescence of its 100-series and 200-series chipsets, even as it was repeatedly proven that those motherboards can run and overclock 9th generation processors with custom firmware just fine. Would MSI care to explain whether a B450M PRO-M2 has a stronger VRM than an X370 XPower Titanium to warrant "Zen 2" support? Will all "Zen 2" processor SKUs have steep electrical requirements? Will there not be any SKUs with double-digit-Watt TDP ratings?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 15, 2019, 08:50 PM   #134
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post

won't be buying anything from MSI soon if ever

that said I am buying a new most likely asus x570 motherboard anyway for PCIE 4.0 for the next RTX 3080 ti strix
Old Apr 15, 2019, 09:38 PM   #135
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

won't be buying anything from MSI soon if ever

that said I am buying a new most likely asus x570 motherboard anyway for PCIE 4.0 for the next RTX 3080 ti strix
OFN bro, we all know you're an ASUS slut.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2019, 09:44 PM   #136
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
OFN bro, we all know you're an ASUS slut.
please...…

….. a ROG slut

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:45 PM   #137
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Asus is pretty disappointing for z390 in the mid 400s and down segment. Hopefully x570 wont be meh.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:46 PM   #138
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
please...…

….. a ROG slut
I stand corrected…… NOT!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 01:42 AM   #139
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm holding off getting a gaming laptop because of this. The idea of having a perfectly capable all-AMD machine is just too exciting for me.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:24 AM   #140
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Amd will be releasing a 50th anniversary cpu, graphics card makers and mobos as well will have 50th anniversary stuff.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:14 PM   #141
pax
Rage3D Spammer

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...upport_update/

Looks like it was clueless tech support...:

Quote:
So I've just got an update from MSI, short translation:

"Sadly the informaton regarding the support of upcoming AMD CPUs on the X370 Titanium was wrong.
We want to shed light on this situation.

Currently we are testing our current mainboard portfolio with MSI 300 and 400 chipsets for compability with upcoming AMD Ryzen processors. Of course we want to provide support for upcoming AMD Ryzen processors on as many mainboards as possible.

Before AMD launches the next generation of CPUs MSI will provide a comprehensive list of compatible MSI AM4 mainboards. We are sorry for the misunderstanding."

Sorry for the rough translation, business-speak is hard...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:48 PM   #142
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...upport_update/

Looks like it was clueless tech support...:
Some of the 1st gen Ryzen boards have really, really bad VRMs and may not be able to handle Zen 2's rumored TDP increase.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 08:48 PM   #143
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Leaked Gigabyte Aorus X570 promo material points to May 27 for AMD Ryzen 3000 launch
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Leaked....417533.0.html
Old Apr 16, 2019, 09:19 PM   #144
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Would like to see it, ready to throw money at them if it lives up to the hype!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 09:23 PM   #145
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I can't wait to see the results of Ryzen 3000 even though I don't see myself purchasing one. Intel should be anxious as ****.

AMDs CPU market share is going to elevate severely. Could AMD seal the nail in the coffin on the CPU market after this? I reckon.

They'll just have NV to deal with next but me thinks another gen or two for the initial hill climb to come to an end first.

Last edited by Megaman : Apr 17, 2019 at 12:06 AM.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:05 AM   #146
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Some of the 1st gen Ryzen boards have really, really bad VRMs and may not be able to handle Zen 2's rumored TDP increase.
Id read that pretty much every x370 class mobo was gross overkill in the vrm dept. Easily taking on 200w tdp cpus... If anything with 7nm we should see 8 cores cpus drop tdp quite a bit and even the 16 core probably sit in the 125-140w range.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 17, 2019, 04:44 AM   #147
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
There's still no reason they wouldn't be able to handle the 3000 chips with fewer cores. Honestly, MSI has little choice but to support Ryzen 3000 series. They'll look really bad compared to the other motherboard manufacturers if they don't.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2019, 06:10 AM   #148
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
There's still no reason they wouldn't be able to handle the 3000 chips with fewer cores. Honestly, MSI has little choice but to support Ryzen 3000 series. They'll look really bad compared to the other motherboard manufacturers if they don't.
Well, I already got Gigabyte's statement on the matter. Basically, it comes down to the BIOS chips. Are they big enough on all the boards.

Some vendors are looking at removing the Ryzen 14nm support for the 7nm BIOS.

All the Aorus Gaming "Premium" boards should get it.

All the X399 boards from GB in the "flagship line" have "planned support" for 3rd gen Threadripper but they don't have the final AGESA for TR 7nm yet so it depends on how big it is.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:17 AM   #149
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Gigabyte going all out for AMD's 50th

vs normal

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:40 AM   #150
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Well, I already got Gigabyte's statement on the matter. Basically, it comes down to the BIOS chips. Are they big enough on all the boards.

Some vendors are looking at removing the Ryzen 14nm support for the 7nm BIOS.

All the Aorus Gaming "Premium" boards should get it.

All the X399 boards from GB in the "flagship line" have "planned support" for 3rd gen Threadripper but they don't have the final AGESA for TR 7nm yet so it depends on how big it is.
Ya GB's smaller bios chip being an issue. You'd think they wouldnt have skimped on that. I paid 400$ CAD for the gaming K7 x370 so if it doesnt support the 16 core Ill be pretty disappointed.

www.realitysandwich.com