Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:13 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
If they can't get 10nm process working, how do they plan on getting the 7nm process working short of crawling and bagging to those that have perfected the 7nm process? Going to be an interesting year in 2019 on the CPU front.
Process node names are just marketing. Intel had problems with 10nm because they ramped the transistor density aggressively and used fancy new materials. Intel's 7nm is a more conventional shrink and shouldn't have the same issues.

I would like to see something competitive from AMD in the laptop and Ultrabook space. Intel still rules mobile and their new stacked chip tech further increases their lead in efficiency and packaging.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2019, 02:26 PM   #92
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Just got home and soaked up all the info, or should I say, the lack there of.

Oh well, back to focusing on the government shutdown.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2019, 02:27 PM   #93
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...eon,38399.html

Quote:
The new Ryzen processors will come with the Zen 2 microarchitecture that provides a higher level of instruction level parallelism (IPC) than the first-gen Zen design, meaning the chips can process more cycles per clock. That will offer an additional speedup beyond the normal gains from increased clock frequencies.

AMD demoed a pre-production Ryzen 3000-series processor going head-to-head against a Core i9-9900K. It's noteworthy that AMD hasn't fully tweaked the design yet, meaning that it will likely extract more performance from the chip before it comes to market. The eight-core 16-thread Ryzen processor was about even with the eight-core 16-thread Core i9-9900K in a Cinebench multi-threaded workload, with the Ryzen score 2,057 to the i9's 2040.

Given that both processors have eight cores and sixteen threads, the benchmark results suggest that AMD is matching Intel's single-threaded performance, at least in this particular benchmark. Cinebench does respond well to AMD's SMT implementation, but the results are impressive nonetheless.

Possibly matching Intel's single-threaded performance is a watershed moment for AMD, as that type of workload has long been one of the few areas where the Ryzen processors lagged behind Intel's models. But that isn't all. Su also pointed out that the denser 7nm node allowed the Ryzen processor to consume less power, which ultimately equates to heat, than the Core i9-9900K.

The AMD processor pulled ~30% less power than the Core i9-9900K. That's a tremendous advantage over Intel's processors, which have gained a reputation for requiring high-end motherboards, power supplies, and coolers to extract the optimum level of performance. The Ryzen processors' impressive achievement means that it could be much cheaper to build full systems with AMD's Ryzen 3000-series processors, thus offering a similar level of performance while maintaining the value advantage.

Su held up a naked chip, showing that the third-gen Ryzen processors have two dies: one for compute and one for I/O. That's much like the design the company uses in its Epyc Rome processors.

Third-gen Ryzen is coming to market in the "middle of 2019," and Su said that the company would share more details as it comes closer to launch.

Su closed the show on a personal note, saying that she wants the industry to come together industry together to cross boundaries, and that together they can enable the impossible and allow the smartest and brightest minds to solve the most interesting and challenging problems.
Good and bad. Good being that it is about as fast as the 9900k at 30% less power. The bad is that it is coming middle of 2019.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 10, 2019, 08:42 AM   #94
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The more I look at it now the more I am not impressed with Zen2. I mean ok you are slightly beating Intel on Cinebench, too be expected but Intel is working on a 14+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ model.

Intel's Arch is what 4 to 5 years old and AMD's is brand new. So what will Intel's 10nm in 2H of 2019 be like?

Given you have 20% lower power which might equate to better overclocks etc. But you are limited by silicon itself as well.

We'll know when we get closer too June though....

I am just not all that impressed. Vega II is a joke we had its performance 2 years ago in the Ngreedia camp, and AMD is just reaching Intel Level of performance that we've had for years.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:35 PM   #95
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If the leaks pan out then I think the pure horsepower will go to AMD.

You can also look at it like this too. If the leaks were right then AMD was putting their $200.00 Ryzen 5, 4.8Ghz, 8 core/16 thread chip against Intel's 5.0Ghz $550.00 9900k and matching it. The Ryzen 7's are thought to be 12 core / 24 threads and go to 5Ghz. Then the Ryzen 9's are 16 core / 32 thread at about the same speed. The 9's are leaked to cost around $500.00ish. Which is currently the price for the 9900k... So, AMDs middle tier Ryzen 5 CPU is matching performance of the top tier Intel 9900k for 2/5th the price.

If the leaks do pan out then you'll have a Ryzen 9 3850x CPU with 2x the core computing power and slightly faster single core speed as Intel's 9900k. All for the same money.

That's not even going into the power consumption or the cooling requirements.

While it's not a straight out killer for Intel, I do think that it puts AMD in a much better position going forward. They really could be in the position to have the fastest and most powerful CPU out for a while. All the while having a good price/performance ratio that makes it a better choice.

They look to be going for market share at this point. Which is good for the rest of us. Hopefully it will drive pricing down in the desktop arena.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:36 PM   #96
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Note what looks like traces for a 2nd die.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 05:20 PM   #97
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post

There is also speculation the second die area is for adding a on board GPU, as it was pointed out AMD's presentation started out talking about laptops.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 07:13 PM   #98
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

shot not just laptops but desktop apus I mean an 8core cpu with a navi gpu on a single package would be awesome to see.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 08:09 PM   #99
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
shot not just laptops but desktop apus I mean an 8core cpu with a navi gpu on a single package would be awesome to see.
This could very well be a multi platform design where they can add extra cores, a gpu, etc. If that is the case, it will stream line production, as well as bring costs way down.

edit: Thought just struck me, possibly another viable option for that extra area on the Chip is to have it be some type of AI cores, so Ray Tracing and such can be done via CPU rather than on the GPU. That would create a big issue for Nvidia because it would mean nearly Any GPU paired with a Ryzen 2 could do Ray Tracing and eliminate Nvidia's tensor cores as a threat, making half of Nvidia's 2000 series cards useless for those Ryzen owners. Which would seriously turn the Vega II into a more viable solution for those wanting Ray Tracing.

If they could do something like that, it would be like kicking Intel and Nvidia in the nuts at the same time.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Jan 10, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 08:24 PM   #100
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
There is also speculation the second die area is for adding a on board GPU, as it was pointed out AMD's presentation started out talking about laptops.
GPU would be bigger or at least not what looks like the exact same size

and we know there is a 12c/24t and 16c/32t coming
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:58 PM   #101
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
GPU would be bigger or at least not what looks like the exact same size

and we know there is a 12c/24t and 16c/32t coming
Yeah, even the dinky Vega IGP eats up a ton of real estate:

Plus it and the CPU are starved for power when both are under load.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 01:23 AM   #102
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post

question is it going to be a soldered ihs ?

or no ihs ?

if no will coolers and waterblocks still fit
Old Jan 11, 2019, 04:47 AM   #103
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yes of course they'll fit - those chips have an IHS covering them. There's no way AMD will sell them raw.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:42 AM   #104
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yes of course they'll fit - those chips have an IHS covering them. There's no way AMD will sell them raw.
I still got a pentium iii here somewhere that was raw

and they might cool better
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:15 AM   #105
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default PCIe 4.0 May Come to all AMD Socket AM4 Motherboards

I did not think this was possible. Good news maybe for X370 owners like me.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...ard,38401.html
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:35 AM   #106
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post

Quote:
Update: We spoke with AMD representatives, who confirmed that 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards can support PCIe 4.0. AMD will not lock the out feature, instead it will be up to motherboard vendors to validate and qualify the faster standard on its motherboards on a case-by-case basis. Motherboard vendors that do support the feature will enable it through BIOS updates, but those updates will come at the discretion of the vendor. As mentioned below, support could be limited to slots based upon board, switch, and mux layouts.
I think I want a new x570
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:42 AM   #107
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post

Quote:
Our sources tell us that after unlocking the feature via a BIOS update, the older motherboards supply a PCIe 4.0 x16 connection to the first slot on the motherboard, but the remainder of the slots revert to PCIe 3.0 signaling rates. That's because any trace routing on the motherboard that exceeds six inches requires newer redrivers and retimers that support PCIe 4.0's faster signaling rates. That means the PCIe slot nearest to the CPU will easily support PCIe 4.0, while the other slots, including M.2 ports, will run at a PCIe 3.0 signaling rate.
Ah dang it... was really looking forward to a nvme drive upgrade.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:28 PM   #108
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Ah dang it... was really looking forward to a nvme drive upgrade.
Sorry thought this was good news lol, if my board gets the update I will also have a tough choice I love my Asrock.
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:39 PM   #109
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

like i said I think they are going to go for a navi die on gpu and we dont know what that would look like yet. as the new APUs will likely launch after ryzen 3 and threadripper 3

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:03 AM   #110
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Feb 18, 2019, 07:57 PM   #111
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Wasn't this already a strong speculation because of 7/7 for 7nm?
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:54 AM   #112
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Specs And Price Leak Again: 16 Core Zen 2 Intel-Beater For $560

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl.../#3d46a6eb20df
Old Mar 4, 2019, 01:18 PM   #113
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Boost Clock is single Core only. But $500 for a 16c/32t CPU, good luck Intel.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Mar 4, 2019, 05:24 PM   #114
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Boost Clock is single Core only. But $500 for a 16c/32t CPU, good luck Intel.
Which CPUs have an all core boost speed?

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:50 PM   #115
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

I can't wait. This 4770k is getting LONG in the tooth.

July 7th can't come fast enough for me.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 05:55 AM   #116
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think I'm done with higher core counts at this point. 8C/16T was a nice increase compared to 4C/4T (or 8T for i7), but at this point I'm not seeing the need for more cores than that. I think it will be years still until 8C/16T are fully saturated by games, and I don't need to compress that much video.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2019, 06:46 AM   #117
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think I'm done with higher core counts at this point. 8C/16T was a nice increase compared to 4C/4T (or 8T for i7), but at this point I'm not seeing the need for more cores than that. I think it will be years still until 8C/16T are fully saturated by games, and I don't need to compress that much video.
If the high end are saturated in core counts then the low and mid grade specs will follow. I think we'll see adoption faster than we did when moving into the core 2 duo time. The lack of real integration probably has more to do with just how long 4 core was "king."

I think even more, just a few years out from the original ryzen launch you're seeing games take use of multi core, gone are the single core starcrafts and what not. And as another boon, all of the consoles are running 8 cores it'll at least mean developers look to utilize all of those to leverage the full power of the box, which will translate to even more multi threaded engines.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:01 AM   #118
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Division 2 is doing a fair job at it

I will be grabbing a Ryzen 7 3700X 12/24 at 4.2GHz base and 5.0GHz max

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-need-to-know/

Last edited by bill dennison : Mar 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 01:44 PM   #119
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My 2500k+ has been waiting for this ryzen 3700x upgrade for many many years. I just don't believe the prices/specs. It seems like more of a fantasy spec sheet.

Time will tell. Don't wait too long AMD. Sell some CPUs, make some cash because intel will be throwing $$$$$$ at the problem to get their CPUs out.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:09 PM   #120
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

I'm going in balls deep in to a 16c/32t depending on how many cores clock to 5GHz.