Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Nov 8, 2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Default Tried alcohol for the first time

I tried alcohol for the first time this week. My wife's been wanting to try it for awhile now, so we bought some rum to mix into some various drinks (coke, rootbeer, peach soda, etc). I probably drank ~4 shots worth of rum. Got a little buzzed, but not as much as she did! Neither of us got particularly drunk (and probably never will).

Honestly I didn't love the taste... kindof like drinking paint thinner. I don't like mixing it into drinks either, as it makes drinks taste like paint thinner. So by the end, we were just taking a shot of rum, and then drinking soda to wash it down.

Besides the bad taste, it was an enjoyable experience... (especially the sexual activities after!) Will probably do again, maybe with something that tastes better?

Any recommendations for a 39 year-old who's just starting?

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
I tried alcohol for the first time this week. My wife's been wanting to try it for awhile now, so we bought some rum to mix into some various drinks (coke, rootbeer, peach soda, etc). I probably drank ~4 shots worth of rum. Got a little buzzed, but not as much as she did! Neither of us got particularly drunk (and probably never will).

Honestly I didn't love the taste... kindof like drinking paint thinner. I don't like mixing it into drinks either, as it makes drinks taste like paint thinner. So by the end, we were just taking a shot of rum, and then drinking soda to wash it down.

Besides the bad taste, it was an enjoyable experience... (especially the sexual activities after!) Will probably do again, maybe with something that tastes better?

Honestly if you made it this far in life without drinking, quit while your ahead
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Yes, both wash your bits better in the shower that way it won't taste so bad.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
Honestly if you made it this far in life without drinking, quit while your ahead
This.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:12 PM   #5
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Agreed.

I didn't have my first drink until 24, and I've still never been drunk. There are some drinks I somewhat enjoy, and will have socially...but I never drink otherwise. There are huge gaps between drinks, anywhere from 1 to 8 months at least. Just depends on what friends are up to, and we don't go out like we use to 5-7 years ago (I'm 37). Still haven't had a single beer I actually like, my body flat out rejects it. They're disgusting.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I drank from the time I was 18 till almost exactly 1 year ago, quit at 36. Do yourself a favor and don't, it's not worth it.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:24 PM   #7
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

kindda like a lot of things, it just depends what you like. some people drink every day from the age of 12, and some never drink in their life... shots or drinking liquor straight will probably be the harshest taste, and as for drinks or cocktails, many are meant to be sweet or fruity, and definitely not as harsh as most shots. many bartenders are cool with recommending stuff too...
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:26 PM   #8
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
especially the sexual activities after!) Will probably do again, maybe with something that tastes better?
reverse cowgirl
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:26 PM   #9
huskylord
Load Management

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I'm inclined to agree with most of the recommendations here. But as a guy here who responsibly enjoys a beer now and then (and the key is I enjoy the taste), if Sub-Cog does find there is a drink that he enjoys, perhaps in the company of others in social settings, I'd say it's not the end of the world to now and then take part.

I'll use myself as an example. I'm a pretty straight and narrow guy. Never did illegal drugs when I was younger. Now that weed is legal in Canada, I've dabbled with gummies and the odd joint and I found that I like it. It's still expense and will try them only sparingly, but I'm glad to have this as an option to enjoying an evening. (I"m also 46...I think....time is flying).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:29 PM   #10
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Me too, I just never acquired a taste for alcohol. This is why I don't get the world's obsession with it, that and it's expensive.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 03:31 PM   #11
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Nothing wrong with having a drink or two on a Friday night to wind down from the week.

However, when dealing with hard alcohol, price matters. Cheap hard alcohol will have overbearing strong taste/smell. It won't mix well, and really just exists to give people a cheap way to get drunk. More expensive hard alcohol will be smoother and blend better with drinks.

If you have any distilleries in your area, I would recommend seeing if you can do a tour. They typically have "tasting" tours where you can sample their products and they will usually be higher quality than the cheaper store bought brands.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:05 PM   #12
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I see no point in it but Mojitos taste great if you have to waste the money to alter the brain.
Better to never go down the drain, I mean road. I have dead family and friends from this stuff.

Last edited by Athena : Nov 8, 2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: update
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:09 PM   #13
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I mean... Is that normal? In the UK or Germany you'd pretty much a alcoholic by the time you're a toddler.

Exaggeration ofcourse, but still that's quite rare. Even a anti social 35 year old me even drinks in rare occasions.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:09 PM   #14
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

There is certainly nothing wrong with having a casual drink unless you're wired like some of us where it's easy to move from casual drinking to addiction. As long as you're wired normally, enjoy. For me, though...I stay FAR away from all of it.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:12 PM   #15
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
[
I mean... Is that normal? In the UK or Germany you'd piratically a alcoholic by the time you're a toddler.

Exaggeration ofcourse, but still that's quite rare. Even a anti social 35 year old me even drinks in rare occasions.
I'd say it's pretty rare here in the US too, at least in my experience. I often think I'm the only one who couldn't care less about alcohol and would be just fine if I never had another drink in my life.

Quite frankly, the responses so far in this thread have surprised the hell out of me. Interesting.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:12 PM   #16
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I burnt out on drinking in the Navy
lost a lot of crackerjack uniforms in ports all over the world

pizza and dark beer
now and then is about it

I can go months to a year between drinks
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:40 PM   #17
huskylord
Load Management

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

You guys are all missing that SubCog had awesome sechsy time with the wife.
We know he'll be asking her constantly now if she wants to open a bottle of red...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:44 PM   #18
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Cheap booze tastes like crap. That's the main thing... but yes, there is a certain amount of "getting used to it" also, and you have to be careful to ratio the liquor and other ingrediants properly... too much booze and it won't be a pleasant experience unless it's a sipping booze (like a scotch.)

Try making some classic cocktails... they've already done the work for you at getting good proportions. Here is one you might like on a cold winter's nigh...the Hot Toddy.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/hot-toddy/#gs.fejk2a

One of my favorites... takes prep work though to make the syrup. The penicillin.
https://www.liquor.com/recipes/penicillin/#gs.feqatk

Moscow Mules are a cool and tasty vodka drink. Has the advance of being premixed since you're just buying a can of ginger beer.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...mule-cocktail/

Or the Rum version gets you a Dark and Stormy... again... Bacardi will work, but it won't be as nice as if you get a better brand of dark rum. Zacapa is great and good straight

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...ormy-cocktail/

A bit more exotic, but very nice sitting on your patio in the summer... the cucumber cooler (basically a gin and tonic + st germain and cucumber)

http://mymansbelly.com/2011/07/15/gi...cumber-cooler/

Whiskey sours are good... I recommend going a bit lighter on the lemon juice.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/whiskey-sour

Anyway, who doesn't like a nice stiff cocktail?

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:51 PM   #19
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
You guys are all missing that SubCog had awesome sechsy time with the wife.
I tried to make a funny about it. Didn't seem to work
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:54 PM   #20
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Tasted a lot of paint thinner in your life?

There's tons of different cocktails to try. Give some vodka drinks and gin and tonic a shot. Also, experiment with the parts per ingredient you use, maybe you were adding a bit too much alcohol especially since you've never drank it before. Then there's of course a billion different beers to try.

My personal favorite cocktail is Wild Turkey and Coke.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 04:55 PM   #21
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post

I mean... Is that normal? In the UK or Germany you'd pretty much a alcoholic by the time you're a toddler.

Not unusual for practicing members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which he was a member of until recently.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 05:32 PM   #22
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Wow 39...
I haven't had a drink in 6 years, I actually poured a couple grand worth of old alcohol down the kitchen sink last weekend cleaning out the liquor section of the pantry.

Man what I would give to drink a Disaronno and Mexican Coke... Give it a try, it will taste like a smooth Dr. Pepper.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 05:37 PM   #23
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Pina Colada for beginners.

For sezzy-time, try a Creme de Menthe blow job.

Speaking of Creme de Menthe, Grasshoppers are nice, plus they are surprisingly good with cigars if you're into that.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 05:44 PM   #24
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Tasted a lot of paint thinner in your life?
I used to clean industrial paint-booths, so I've smelled more than my share of paint-thinner.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Nov 8, 2019, 05:48 PM   #25
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
Not unusual for practicing members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which he was a member of until recently.
Yup. It's taken over a year of being away from the church for me to even consider drinking. Even still, drinking itself doesn't really appeal to me much. I don't need it to socialize. The only thing about drinking that appeals to me is the sex. Seriously, 100% of the appeal is sex. From this week's experience, alcohol definitely seems to lower my wife's inhibitions a good amount. Seriously, my whole train of thought leading up to drinking this week was like this:
  1. Wife mentioned she'd like to try drinking, but doesn't want to do it without me.
  2. Me not really interested in drinking, but then considers it might make sex with wife extra fun.
  3. Ok, let's go for it.

I definitely get why young single guys drink, when they're out trying to get laid.

Honestly, I think I'm only interested in drinking with my wife. I often go out to bars with coworkers, but I doubt I'll drink alcohol with them, as I don't plan to have sex with any of them. Not much point to drinking with coworkers.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Nov 8, 2019, 05:55 PM   #26
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
alcohol definitely seems to lower my wife's inhibitions a good amount.
Something tells me there's MUCH more to this story.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 05:58 PM   #27
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Unless you think you're particularly prone to addiction, I don't really see a problem with having some occasionally. Don't drink so fast that you pass where you are comfortable and get drunk or farther, and only bother with stuff you like the taste of.

There is a bit of that alcoholic taste/scent for most drinks, but a lot of mixed drinks mask it pretty significantly. There are also a lot of mixed drinks that are just a regular drink with a neutral alcohol... and those don't really seem like they have a point outside of getting the buzz going, at least to me.

Since it's about taste and you don't know what you like, maybe take some recommendations, have some sips of things people you know like, and then maybe try a tasting. Wine tastings are the default and can be good especially if you know you like a wine from the place, but there are beer tastings, cider tastings, liquor tastings, etc. - and it will be smaller portions, more variety, and what I find really neat, direct comparisons between flavor. Especially when trying to taste what the difference between things or how a pairing works, there's no substitute for trying them in direct succession.

Other "easier drink" kind of drinks:
Gin and tonic
Whiskey and coke
Mulled wine (especially in the winter)
Hard cider
Port or dessert wines

I'm not really a drinker but I've found some really tasty alcoholic beverages and the distinctive flavor of different kinds of liquors that when on its own is often harsh and unappealing, can fit surprisingly well into the right mixed drink or with the right food pairing - like night and day kind of difference. For me who doesn't really care about being drunk but likes some tasty food, this has been the big draw.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 06:55 PM   #28
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
x1000

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 07:08 PM   #29
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
Unless you think you're particularly prone to addiction, I don't really see a problem with having some occasionally. Don't drink so fast that you pass where you are comfortable and get drunk or farther, and only bother with stuff you like the taste of.
This. My biological father is an alcoholic, can't get through a day without a case of beer, shitty beer at that. My brother (different dad) is the same way. Weird that this hasn't been my experience whatsoever, considering. I usually just drink socially, or with/after a meal and never ever felt like I needed alcohol. If you ever feel it becoming a need for any reason whatsoever, practice the discipline.

As an aside, it's okay to get drunk. Just don't drive, operate machinery, or create drama

I'm more of a beer person and I brew my own beer as well. In any case, as far mixed drinks go, these are my goto:

Moscow mule
Whiskey Sour
White Russian

A nice thing the gf and I like to do in the fall is get some apple cider from the local orchard, heat it up with some mulling spices, and drink it with a shot or two of rum (Sailor Jerry). It's quite good if you like cider and the rum gives it a tiny kick.

If you do get a good buzz, or find yourself drunk, do yourself a favor and drink a couple glasses of water before you go to bed 👍
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2019, 07:15 PM   #30
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post

Moscow mule

Whiskey Sour

White Russian
Those are great drinks. White Russians are my go to on holidays.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote