Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Nintendo DS kicking Sony’s butt in Japan

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000570045500/

::hides::

Quote:
Nintendogs is the killer app Nintendo was looking for. Ever since the game’s release, sales of the DS have skyrocketed in Japan. The DS outsold both the PSP and the PS2 last week. It just goes to show you, it’s still all about the games

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:14 PM   #2
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I really dont understand.. The only thing I can think is for the kids that dont actually have pets? Not meant to flame but the game looks stupid and boring... Im really confused on it.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Unit01
Radeon Northern Islands

Unit01 is still being judged by the masses

Probably something quick to make time fly. And yeah the reasons CurrentlyPissed listed. Surprised DS sales have surpassed the ps2 even for a moment, since they seem to buy ps2 all the time over there. Maybe it's even worth trying :|
Comp2: AMD Opteron 165 @ 2,0Ghz stock volt Asus A8N-32SLI Deluxe 2GB G.Skill PC4000
1x36GB Maxtor Atlas 15KII 1x147GB Maxtor Atlas 10KV xxxGB HD RAID Array(soon) ASUS EN7300GT Silent
Lapy1: HP NX9420 Core 2 Duo T5500 1x1024MB RAM 100GB HD X1600mobility
Unit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:52 PM   #4
typoEDR
Radeon Caribbean Islands

typoEDR is still being judged by the masses

Battle Raper 2.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 07:00 PM   #5
takuma
Radeon R200

takuma is still being judged by the masses

Yeah I really cant see the appeal of it I mean I have a ds but I am waiting for like mario kart and castlevainia not some puppy sim crap. Lol the retards at ign boards are crapping there pants about it for some reason.
takuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Christberg
Hmmmm... Death.

Christberg is still being judged by the masses

The DS had officially passed the PSP in sales for this calendar year 2 weeks ago. It's been steadily outselling the PSP by a nice, healthy margin since the week before Nintendogs came out. The gap widened to over a million units in Japan very recently as well.

DS is doing great over there, then again... they aren't dealing with a game drought like we are over here (although that officially ends Tuesday when Kirby comes out)
'When it comes to Nintendo strategy, it's not that we want to make games for kids. It's that we want to make them creative while appealing to a wider audience. Obviously we see games as entertainment, and what we want to do is find the best way to make the gameplay experience entertaining for everyone."-Shigeru Miyamoto

Proud owner of way too many pieces of consumer electronics, including GBA,DS,GC, and PS2.

My computer specs:
Asus A78N Deluxe, Athlon XP 2700+,1.2gb PC2700 DDR, 280GB HD, 6600 GT 512mb, other stuff.
Christberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:08 PM   #7
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

well, it has all sorts of wacky weird games, wich japanese seem to love, and nintendogs is one of those :P
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:26 PM   #8
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

radE8 is still being judged by the masses

Well, the PS1 didn't hit its stride until FFVII, and it never looked back. Let's see what happens when Sony releases more high profile games and/or accessories.

But I bet Nintendo is quite relieved that DS didn't turn into another virtual boy. And I bet it didn't hurt that they have tons of DS systems available. Funny how they can do that when they perceive a threat, yet systems are always rare otherwise.
radE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 02:42 AM   #9
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

i've been told that very few japanese get to have pets, and so its sortof the ultimate japanese fantasy. That's why virtual pets caught on there more than in the US too.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 03:37 AM   #10
Takezo
Tech Ninja

Takezo is still being judged by the masses

japanese chicks dig that game. Intead of appealing to teenage boy who have just started puberty, they when ahead an do the complete opposite. Super Ultra cute game for girls. Thats a market that sony and microsoft don't touch because they beleive that boys are main profit market. Nintendo totaly proves them wrong. Nintendo are geinuses.

Go nintendo.
Takezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 03:44 AM   #11
infowar
Banned

infowar is still being judged by the masses

Linux have mer-cy!

haha this thread title cant help but remind me of the full house episode in season 6 where uncle jessie's band has a #1 hit single....in japan.

seriously the nintendogs looks good to me.
mmorpg-like needyness to make you lose your friends and look like an idiot without monthly bills.
infowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 04:41 AM   #12
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nintendogs looks to be like a kick ass game!
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 05:14 AM   #13
ragewars_sc
Radeon Southern Islands

ragewars_sc is still being judged by the masses

Nintendogs looks aswome!! And in japan they will have this game or Sony's Ropbots before they try real thing... and i belive they eat them??
Old Jun 11, 2005, 02:11 PM   #14
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

isnt the PS2 still selling well cuz they keep breaking?
Old Jun 11, 2005, 03:28 PM   #15
CowboyBebop
Rage3D Sage

CowboyBebop is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqht
isnt the PS2 still selling well cuz they keep breaking?
CowboyBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 05:23 PM   #16
j0j081
Banned

j0j081 is still being judged by the masses

It's kinda like the Sims when you think about it.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 06:39 PM   #17
Fobinator
Rage3D Veteran

Fobinator is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christberg
The DS had officially passed the PSP in sales for this calendar year 2 weeks ago. It's been steadily outselling the PSP by a nice, healthy margin since the week before Nintendogs came out. The gap widened to over a million units in Japan very recently as well.

DS is doing great over there, then again... they aren't dealing with a game drought like we are over here (although that officially ends Tuesday when Kirby comes out)
Kirby is a ass. Every time is see him float hes little pick ass down after kicking him out off the platform in Super Smash Bros i feel like throwing the console out the window.
Fobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:33 PM   #18
Christberg
Hmmmm... Death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobinator
Kirby is a ass. Every time is see him float hes little pick ass down after kicking him out off the platform in Super Smash Bros i feel like throwing the console out the window.
Hahaha... well, you're entitled to your opinion, but somehow I think you're going to be in the minority on this one.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/624/624427p1.html

Should be great, and then Meteos and Nanostray are out pretty much right after.
'When it comes to Nintendo strategy, it's not that we want to make games for kids. It's that we want to make them creative while appealing to a wider audience. Obviously we see games as entertainment, and what we want to do is find the best way to make the gameplay experience entertaining for everyone."-Shigeru Miyamoto

Proud owner of way too many pieces of consumer electronics, including GBA,DS,GC, and PS2.

My computer specs:
Asus A78N Deluxe, Athlon XP 2700+,1.2gb PC2700 DDR, 280GB HD, 6600 GT 512mb, other stuff.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:17 PM   #19
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Johnmcl7 is still being judged by the masses

I got Nintendogs last week, and been working on it since then - some of the Japanese is a little tough, although I'm managing to get around it. The status of the puppy is in text rather than a graphical state, once I finally translated the text I found my poor little pup was very thirsty and very hungry. Also, I think I've mucked up his training a little because I didn't quite understand the process, I can get him to sit, sneeze and give paws but when I tell him to lie down he just looks confused and little question marks pop up. I do miss the family dog (who I don't see that often these days) so I do like Nintendogs, they've done a fantastic job of modelling the puppies, their animations and behaviour are very accurate. Admittedly I do get funny looks when I'm talking to my pup and trying to get the disobediant little sod to do as I want, but I couldn't care less.

Also playing Warioware touched and Electroplankton, what I like about the DS is that it's something a bit different to the 'big' consoles, I'm not bothered about playing GTA/GT, Wipeout or whatever on the move.

John

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Johnmcl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 02:50 PM   #20
Christberg
Hmmmm... Death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcl7
I got Nintendogs last week, and been working on it since then - some of the Japanese is a little tough, although I'm managing to get around it. The status of the puppy is in text rather than a graphical state, once I finally translated the text I found my poor little pup was very thirsty and very hungry. Also, I think I've mucked up his training a little because I didn't quite understand the process, I can get him to sit, sneeze and give paws but when I tell him to lie down he just looks confused and little question marks pop up. I do miss the family dog (who I don't see that often these days) so I do like Nintendogs, they've done a fantastic job of modelling the puppies, their animations and behaviour are very accurate. Admittedly I do get funny looks when I'm talking to my pup and trying to get the disobediant little sod to do as I want, but I couldn't care less.

Also playing Warioware touched and Electroplankton, what I like about the DS is that it's something a bit different to the 'big' consoles, I'm not bothered about playing GTA/GT, Wipeout or whatever on the move.

John

Cool. I was thinking about attempting to tackle it myself, but decided against it due to translation reasons. Well, that and the fact that I'm ow in school fulltime and working full time and don't really have too much time for videogames...

The portable market is a totally different animal. It's one Nintendo has it's finger firmly on the pulse of. I've been really pleased with their performance there and haven't found too much to ***** about really. Things like Wario Ware and Electroplankton are ideal for handhelds.

My computer specs:
Old Jun 12, 2005, 02:57 PM   #21
GamingLordX
Radeon R520

GamingLordX is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The portable market is a totally different animal. It's one Nintendo has it's finger firmly on the pulse of.
But for how much longer? This is the first time Nintendo has had competition like Sony in the handheld gaming market. Sony isn't going to be backing down any time soon. Especially seeing as how the PSP is selling well.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:22 PM   #22
2001ppj
XeoNexus

2001ppj is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

I think nin is fairly safe in handhelds. The price of gameboys makes it a better buy to most people. Pretty soon if not already, gba-sp will be the price of a psp game.
2001ppj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:30 PM   #23
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Quote:
Cool. I was thinking about attempting to tackle it myself, but decided against it due to translation reasons. Well, that and the fact that I'm ow in school fulltime and working full time and don't really have too much time for videogames...

The portable market is a totally different animal. It's one Nintendo has it's finger firmly on the pulse of. I've been really pleased with their performance there and haven't found too much to ***** about really. Things like Wario Ware and Electroplankton are ideal for handhelds.
I am missing out a bit with the Japanese but with the help of Faqs I'm doing ok. Enjoying Warioware a lot more than I thought, I originally thought it's a good laugh but didn't expect anything longterm. What I like about the DS is that you can whip it open, have a laugh for five minutes then move on, I currently have to spend around four hours a day on the train, and a lot of that is waiting around - the DS is perfect for filling in those gaps while I wait for a delayed train or similar.

I really hope the portable market doesn't go Sony's way, they've made some fancy hardware for the PSP but nothing more.

John

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:31 PM   #24
GamingLordX
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ppj
Pretty soon if not already, gba-sp will be the price of a psp game.
Wel yeah, look how long the GBA-SP has been on the market. Its old tech, of course its going to be a lot cheaper. Especially when you compare it to a multimedia device like the PSP (which can play movies, music, etc). Not to mention the fact that of all the handhelds PSP is the newest on the market. Its not even seeling in all the world markets yet (for example: Europe).

Quote:
I really hope the portable market doesn't go Sony's way, they've made some fancy hardware for the PSP but nothing more.
I really hope the portable market doesn't keep going in Nintendo's way, they've made some fancy gimmicks for the DS but nothing more.

Last edited by GamingLordX : Jun 12, 2005 at 03:34 PM.
GamingLordX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:34 PM   #25
plan-9
Radeon Northern Islands

plan-9 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingLordX
But for how much longer? This is the first time Nintendo has had competition like Sony in the handheld gaming market. Sony isn't going to be backing down any time soon. Especially seeing as how the PSP is selling well.

well they had sega to deal with. and at that time sega was a very big company and a huge threat. i think nintendo is just fine in the handheld market. i think the majoriy of handheld gamers just want very simple games that they can jsut pick up and play for 5-10 minutes and not have to pay 200 or so bucks for the system. will sony keep with the handheld market..i dont know...its not selling as well as they thought it would..theres no question there. plus the e3 showing for the psp was pretty garbage. you would think it would have been a lot bigger. we'll probably find out next year if sony has started or is planning on starting development of psp2.
plan-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:37 PM   #26
GamingLordX
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-9
well they had sega to deal with. and at that time sega was a very big company
Still nowhere near Sony thats for sure.

Quote:
i think the majoriy of handheld gamers just want very simple games that they can jsut pick up and play for 5-10 minutes
Actually PSP games also provide simple games that can be played for 5-10 minutes. Perfect example is Dynasty Warriors for PSP. Instead of keeping the game's huge battlefield intact for the PSP release they decided to break it up into sections. Why? So you could play the game in small increments or for a 5-10 minute bus ride.

Quote:
will sony keep with the handheld market..i dont know...its not selling as well as they thought it would..
Not selling as well as they thought it would? Oh okay so outselling the DS for months at a time is not considered selling as well as they thought it would.

Quote:
have to pay 200 or so bucks for the system
Actually if you think about it the PSP's price is easily justified. This is not a simple kids toy that just plays little 2D games. We're talking about a multimedia device that plays near PS2 quality games, full length DVD quality movies, music, displays photos, etc. Of course its going to cost a pretty penny. You get what you pay for.

EDIT: Oh and lets not forget internet browsing (although not officially supported...yet).

Last edited by GamingLordX : Jun 12, 2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:05 PM   #27
plan-9
Radeon Northern Islands

plan-9 is still being judged by the masses

well i think sony and the majority of people thought the psp would have been on back orders for months..but that didnt come close to happening. dont get me wrong..im sure theyre happy with the way it has sold...but i think they believed it would have done a lot better.

and yes i know most of the psp games offer either save anywhere or very frequent save points, im talking about simple gameplay that you dont even care if you finish or how far in a game you get.

now the price..well i just cant see why anyone would want to use a psp as a movie player. the screen is still small to watch movies. the price of umd movies is way too expensive. maybe if ps3 would be able to play umd movies this would be less of an issue (which by the way would be a great idea). or of course have tvoutput on the psp itself. i really dont see nintendo in any trouble at all in the handheld department. they truly know exactly what theyre doing.
plan-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:09 PM   #28
GamingLordX
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-9
well i think sony and the majority of people thought the psp would have been on back orders for months..but that didnt come close to happening.
I doubt Sony was truely thinking that if you ask me. I mean the whole reason there was so many PSP's on shelves is because of how many they shipped. I have to hand it to Sony, they deffinetly learned from the PS2 launch (where they only had a handful of PS2's to sell).

Quote:
well i just cant see why anyone would want to use a psp as a movie player. the screen is still small to watch movies.
Small screens are not an issue for the portable market. I mean just take the Game Boy line for example. Every single model of Game Boy has a small screen. Obviously that doesn't stop people from buying them. Same with portable DVD players with built in screens. Those sell pretty well.

Quote:
the price of umd movies is way too expensive.
Expensive? That depends. All UMD movies can easily be bought for the same price as DVD's ($15). You just have to avoid the retailers like Best Buy that ar known for their jacked up prices.

Last edited by GamingLordX : Jun 12, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:15 PM   #29
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingLordX
Wel yeah, look how long the GBA-SP has been on the market. Its old tech, of course its going to be a lot cheaper. Especially when you compare it to a multimedia device like the PSP (which can play movies, music, etc). Not to mention the fact that of all the handhelds PSP is the newest on the market. Its not even seeling in all the world markets yet (for example: Europe).

I really hope the portable market doesn't keep going in Nintendo's way, they've made some fancy gimmicks for the DS but nothing more.
You make them as gimmicks, that's your opinion and nothing more - I'll take original and creative gimmicks over PS2 rehashes any day.

John

Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:19 PM   #30
GamingLordX
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcl7
You make them as gimmicks, that's your opinion and nothing more - I'll take original and creative gimmicks over PS2 rehashes any day.

John
Same to you buddy. I'll take fun to play, full-length, immerisve, cinematic gaming experiences over crappy kids games with gimmicks anyday.