Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
lajkonik86

Default Not everybody loves WOW

with all the oww we love wow around this article just made me smile.
Reminded me of some old i hate diablo, ****ing deathlag blizzard sucks articles
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

WoW stoled all my friends
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
dryars
MARK IT ZERO!!!!

dryars is still being judged by the masses

Who ever wrote that, is an idiot and/or does not know what he is talking about.
Corsair PC8000 TWINX Dual Channel
Antec Nine Hundred Case
dryars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:55 AM   #4
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Im not a fan of WoW, but it really sounds like whoever wrote the article has their head jammed up something a little too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:54 AM   #5
L.O.W.
Rage3D Veteran

L.O.W. is still being judged by the masses

Not liking WoW is like not eating meat.............

Two things that mean your aren't to be trusted, IMO

L.O.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:19 PM   #6
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There are some EXCELLENT articles out there about addiction in the case of MMORPGs. With all the data they have generated it is clear that such addiction does exist and is one the rise.

What I find really interesting is that the makers of these games create the games to be addictive, even making sure the additions increase the addictive factor. Now when we found out that the tobacco companies where doing this we went berserk as a people and demanded they stop.

Now dont get me wrong I will not claim that MMORPGs can be compared to smoking and cancer. However they do have a detrimental effect on your life and that of others if the addiction is unchecked. It can leead to maritial issues that effect not just the adults but the kids. It can lead to employment issues again effecting a lot of people.

I know for a fact one addict that morgaged his house to make sure he had enough cash to bid on an ISK purchase for Eve on Ebay.

As for WoW in particular, I found it boring and did not play long. I was addicted to Eve, putting in 6 hours or more each night. I quit and was okay till I tried CoH and then was doing it again. I finally quit the other day, solo play for me from here on out..

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Canadian_2K
How's it going, eh?

Canadian_2K is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler
There are some EXCELLENT articles out there about addiction in the case of MMORPGs. With all the data they have generated it is clear that such addiction does exist and is one the rise.

What I find really interesting is that the makers of these games create the games to be addictive, even making sure the additions increase the addictive factor. Now when we found out that the tobacco companies where doing this we went berserk as a people and demanded they stop.

Now dont get me wrong I will not claim that MMORPGs can be compared to smoking and cancer. However they do have a detrimental effect on your life and that of others if the addiction is unchecked. It can leead to maritial issues that effect not just the adults but the kids. It can lead to employment issues again effecting a lot of people.

I know for a fact one addict that morgaged his house to make sure he had enough cash to bid on an ISK purchase for Eve on Ebay.

As for WoW in particular, I found it boring and did not play long. I was addicted to Eve, putting in 6 hours or more each night. I quit and was okay till I tried CoH and then was doing it again. I finally quit the other day, solo play for me from here on out..
Physical addiction vs. psychological addiction. A physical addiction comes from an actual physical need, whereas a psychological addiction comes from a sort of pleasure you get from whatever activity. Are you saying we should ban things that make people happy because they might want more happiness?

"Theres your problem right there dude. You need to reinstall windows." - phial
Canadian_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:31 PM   #8
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Spyder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
Are you saying we should ban things that make people happy because they might want more happiness?
better ban sex
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:38 PM   #9
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

That guy is a tard, on the other hand Blizzard did go way, way overboard with nerfing the pallys, but I am pretty confident eventually there will be some sort of shaman/pally balance worked out. Either way I don't care cuz i have a shaman and a pally.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:56 PM   #10
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Somebody rolled a pally and isn't happy with his choice .
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:14 PM   #11
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tork64 is still being judged by the masses

Pallys are getting looked at soon, after hunters.
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:18 PM   #12
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork64
how official is that? aka. what was your source
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:23 PM   #13
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tork64 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
how official is that? aka. what was your source
I remember reading in the forums from one of a blizzard reps who said they are looking into controlled damage for pally and a new skill, cant remember what it is, but they are gonna fix it.
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:27 PM   #14
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
I remember reading in the forums from one of a blizzard reps who said they are looking into controlled damage for pally and a new skill, cant remember what it is, but they are gonna fix it.
woot! cheers
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:38 PM   #15
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I love the statement from blizzard a few weeks back

"Shamans are where we want them to be at, we will bring every other class up to that level" So soon my rogue will ambush for like 4k
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:44 PM   #16
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

i have a hunter, they are supposed to be fixed on next patch, gotta wait and see
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:54 PM   #17
Shodin10k
Radeon R300

Shodin10k is still being judged by the masses

what about warlocks?

gggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Shodin10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:56 PM   #18
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

WoW gets the "I got bored of it faster than any other MMO before" -award from me.

Mainly due to the extremely restricted "one class, limited arsenal" style of character development, extremely static world and most of all; lack of a real community as such.

It felt like playing an FPS for hours on end with little "social" interaction as such. Not my ballgame anymore, perhaps if they release tons of new content, I'll visit it again.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:59 PM   #19
dryars
MARK IT ZERO!!!!

dryars is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed
I love the statement from blizzard a few weeks back

"Shamans are where we want them to be at, we will bring every other class up to that level" So soon my rogue will ambush for like 4k
You mean, Ambush, Frost Shock, Windfury, Slice and Dice.
Corsair PC8000 TWINX Dual Channel
Antec Nine Hundred Case
dryars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 02:30 PM   #20
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

I played WoW...for about an hour before I decided it sucked enough to not play. It also gave me nothing but problems. Weee.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 05:15 PM   #21
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
Physical addiction vs. psychological addiction. A physical addiction comes from an actual physical need, whereas a psychological addiction comes from a sort of pleasure you get from whatever activity. Are you saying we should ban things that make people happy because they might want more happiness?

Well lets look at that a moment, lets say a man has a psychological addiction to stealing, should when then allow him to still since it gives him pleasure? How about gamblers that lose their rent andfood money making families homeless?

Your question is STUPID, no one is saying ban things that provide pleasure. I am saying that a serious look at the MMORPG might be needed at SOME TIME. The game is DESIGNED to addict you.

Now the question I am posing is if we have something DESIGNED to addict you, and that addicition is proven to have detrimental effects on yours and others lives, should we not look into the problem?

I mean drinking is a great example, tears up families and is legal and can even be an acceptable activity in moderation. However we actively seek to stop addicition, should we not do so with any form of entertainment that does the same thing?

#SapphireNation
Old Aug 5, 2005, 06:01 PM   #22
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix
WoW gets the "I got bored of it faster than any other MMO before" -award from me.

Mainly due to the extremely restricted "one class, limited arsenal" style of character development, extremely static world and most of all; lack of a real community as such.

It felt like playing an FPS for hours on end with little "social" interaction as such. Not my ballgame anymore, perhaps if they release tons of new content, I'll visit it again.
I quit after a month because:

1. 98% of players have no manners, are complete a-holes, and only around to make you miserable (especially opposing faction players).
2. WoW players seem to be some of the worst when it comes to thinking they are right about EVERYTHING, their opinion is flawless and never wrong.

I choose not to associate anywhere near losers like those.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 06:39 PM   #23
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler
Well lets look at that a moment, lets say a man has a psychological addiction to stealing, should when then allow him to still since it gives him pleasure? How about gamblers that lose their rent andfood money making families homeless?

Your question is STUPID, no one is saying ban things that provide pleasure. I am saying that a serious look at the MMORPG might be needed at SOME TIME. The game is DESIGNED to addict you.

Now the question I am posing is if we have something DESIGNED to addict you, and that addicition is proven to have detrimental effects on yours and others lives, should we not look into the problem?

I mean drinking is a great example, tears up families and is legal and can even be an acceptable activity in moderation. However we actively seek to stop addicition, should we not do so with any form of entertainment that does the same thing?

Nothing wrong with alcohol or MMORPG's unless you are the type who gets addicted, if you are then you should avoid them..Most things are not wrong in moderation, somethings are wrong no matter what, I'd say alcohol & MMORPG's fall in the former category. It's one of those things, if you think it would be wrong for you then stay away, on the other hand if you do think they are wrong, don't come out like they are wrong for everyone or the dev's are wrong for making them, ya know. At least i think I rephrased what you were saying...
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:06 PM   #24
Yuanji
Radeon R300

Yuanji is still being judged by the masses

WoW Anonymous
Yuanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:25 PM   #25
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3
Nothing wrong with alcohol or MMORPG's unless you are the type who gets addicted, if you are then you should avoid them..Most things are not wrong in moderation, somethings are wrong no matter what, I'd say alcohol & MMORPG's fall in the former category. It's one of those things, if you think it would be wrong for you then stay away, on the other hand if you do think they are wrong, don't come out like they are wrong for everyone or the dev's are wrong for making them, ya know. At least i think I rephrased what you were saying...

I am not saying the games are wrong. What I am saying is that we have a game style that is PURPOSEFULY made to create game addicts. Sort of like how the tabboco industry did studies early on onhow to make their products more addicitve than normal.

I do not think they are wrong but I do think some examination of them is needed. There is a potential issue there and it is better to look at it before you need to than when it is to late.

I am NOT calling for a ban on MMORPGs, I am saying perhaps a warning with the games is in order and a general effort to educate folks to the POTENTIAL for addiction and how that potential is increased in the MMORPG environment.

#SapphireNation
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:27 PM   #26
Shodin10k
Radeon R300

Shodin10k is still being judged by the masses

All video games have the potential to be addicting, look at the Koreans and Starcraft...
Shodin10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:48 PM   #27
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
sorry, druids are next

pally's look like 1.9-2

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:03 PM   #28
Ambitious Loser
Banned

Ambitious Loser is still being judged by the masses

It's not just gaming but the internet itself that is producing more and more pathetic anti-social beings than ever before.
Ambitious Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:04 PM   #29
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidosmosis
I quit after a month because:

1. 98% of players have no manners, are complete a-holes, and only around to make you miserable (especially opposing faction players).
2. WoW players seem to be some of the worst when it comes to thinking they are right about EVERYTHING, their opinion is flawless and never wrong.

I choose not to associate anywhere near losers like those.
Oh you really did not play FFXI. Most ( I SAID MOST ) Japanese in FFXI felt like they were superior than amercias in EVERY way. There was this thing called the auto-translator. Most messages were.

<english> <skill> <no thanks> or <english> <no thanks>. etc. They were so freaking selfish and always wanted japanese because they felt like amerca sucked or something when most of us were 4x better.

If you played FFXI you would know what I mean, you could get a group faster faking japanese than you could saying your english. It was rediculous.

And don't you dare say "generalize much?" I said MOST.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:14 PM   #30
Murmillo
Do Not Want!

Murmillo is still being judged by the masses

I see the same thing happening in WoW that happened to Lineage II. The GM just don't give a ****. They are spending 99% of thier time "looking" for farmers, find them to only give them a warning about farming while 100% of the player base wants those few people kicked. Huge player bugs which are just out right ignored in favor of a new quest, which ends up being bugged too. WTF Mates. I won't go into balance because one persons nerfed Rouge is another persons overpowered Pally. I understand balance is a hard thing to nail down, as some people are too blind by thier own stupidty to make what they have work. But come on, just letting bugs grow and fester like a big red zit at the tip of your nose?. I thought you were better then that Blizzard.